Monday, July 21, 2014

LET IT ALL HANG OUT - LAUGH UNTIL YOU CRY!
















There’s nothing quite like it.  Nothing - not even a vacuum cleaner - clears away our mental, emotional cobwebs or dust more than a good belly laugh; laughter that isn’t over in a brief moment. Little else can beat a good dose of laughter; laughter that isn’t smothered or contained, but laughter that explodes like an erupting volcano. Laughter which lasts until all control is lost; laughter that grabs hold and refuses to let go. When it finally releases its grip you’re left drained with a tear-stained face and sore stomach muscles. Your mouth feels like it will never regain its original shape. Laughter which leaves you gasping for air; laughter that causes you to giggle throughout the ensuing hours each time the absolute absurdity resurfaces. In many instances, for the life of you, you can’t recall what kicked it off in the first place. But you don't care if you can't remember, preferring to relish the feeling.

I know what I’m talking about when I say a healthy dose of laughter is better than vacuuming because after re-training my vacuum cleaner this morning, I re-acquainted it with some old friends, dust and cobwebs. And boy, were they sucked in!  Unfortunately, the re-training exercise wasn’t completely successful (perhaps the re-training sessions should happen more often). I’ve noticed some dust and cobwebs are still hanging about. Where’s the humour in that?  It’s something to sneeze at, though.  I’m going to have to suck it up, and do it all over again; but not now; I’ve lost my sense of humour…and conveniently misplaced my vacuum cleaner.

In my opinion, these days there are few good comedians around, other than, of course, politicians; in particular, a certain chubby chappy here in this country, who shall remain nameless, but with whom I’d hate to share the maiden voyage of the Titanic. I'll leave it at that because he has fondness for suing those who don't agree with him.

The daily news is depressing. It doesn’t give us much to laugh about. Tears of sadness are shed over the news, not tears laughter. In a world full of violence and despair we have to find humour wherever and however we can because there are not many side-splitting moments in the news reports. If and when we do find something to laugh about, we should hold onto it for dear life!

For my liking, there are far too many unfunny TV panel-type shows filled with self-serving nonentities who, in their own mind believe they’re exceptionally clever and hilarious.  They must do, because they always laugh at their own “jokes”.  I  find them frustratingly annoying. They don’t tickle my funny bone, so I give them a wide berth.

Of course, the very clever, interesting and highly-amusing “QI” isn’t included in my above criticism. It’s a show beyond reproach. 

Seriously – this is no laughing matter - where have the good comedy writers gone? What’s happened to comedy shows today?  Perhaps it is just me; maybe I have lost my sense of humour.   

When I feel like having a hearty good laugh via the TV I watch recorded re-runs of “Cheers”, “Frasier” and “Everybody Love Raymond”. Even though I’ve already seen most of them, they still manage to make me laugh.  And, I find it difficult to ignore dear old Agnes and her boys.  She’s always up for it. Mrs. Brown has the insane ability to raise guffaws. I’m not too proud to admit my likeness for the non-politically-correct, cardigan-wearing hell-raiser. "Mrs Brown's Boys" and her ploys are good for a laugh  Irish writer/performer Brendan O'Carroll is a funny man; his alter-ego, "Agnes Brown" is a funny woman..

“Fawlty Towers” still takes the cake.  Actually, I think Fawlty was the icing on top of comedy cakes, or capers; capers of the playful kind, not the pungent, pickled flower bud of the spiny Mediterranean shrub.

It’s difficult to ignore the brilliance of “Monty Python’s Flying Circus”. So silly and irreverent they were; yet so intelligent, surreal and masterful.

Before the Python crew flew in, “The Goons” enthralled with their madness. Tony Hancock stepped up to the plate, as did Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.

Stepping a little further back into the past - let’s not forget quick-witted Groucho Marx and his siblings; or the vaudeville comedy of the Three Stooges; the comical facetiousness of Abbott & Costello or Laurel & Hardy.

In today’s mad, mad world we need more zany laughter; more funny characters and storylines. It could be the cure the world needs to combat the indecent atrocities and craziness that engulf like a plague
.
Brussel Sprouts with Fried Capers: Bring pot of salted water to boil; add 900g Brussels sprouts; cook until just tender, about 5mins; drain; set aside. Drain 1/2c capers. Heat 1/3c x-virgin olive oil in pan over high heat; add capers; cook, stirring carefully until capers start to open and become brown and crisp; about 5mins. Drain capers on paper towel. Add 2 minced garlic cloves and 3 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely-chopped to pan; cook 1min; add sprouts and ½-3/4tsp chilli flakes; stir to coat with oil; cook 5mins; stir occasionally. Transfer to serving plate; sprinkle with capers and squeeze of lemon.  

Looney Tuna Capers: Cook 400g pasta bows al dente. Return drained pasta to pan over low heat; stir in 6tbs x-virgin olive oil and 2-3 crushed garlic cloves. After 1min, toss through 2x200g cans drained tuna, 85g halved pitted black olives, some sliced semi-dried tomatoes and 2tbs rinsed capers; warm through; season; serve. 

Tomato-Capers-Breadcrumbs & Olives Spaghetti: Combine 2tbs x-virgin olive oil and 2 sliced garlic cloves over med-low heat in pan. Cook, stirring often, until the garlic turns golden, about 2mins.  Remove the garlic slices with a slotted spoon; discard; then add 1/2c fresh sourdough breadcrumbs to the pan. Turn heat to medium; cook, stirring, until the breadcrumbs are crisp. Remove from the heat; set aside. Return pan to med-heat; add 1tbs x-virgin olive oil, 1/4tsp hot red pepper flakes and 1 minced garlic clove. Cook about 30 seconds; add 1 un-drained can chopped tomatoes, 2tbs rinsed, coarsely-chopped capers and 1/2c coarsely-chopped green or black olives. Simmer until the tomatoes have cooked down, 15 to 20mins; season to taste.  Cook 375g whole-wheat spaghetti to al dente; drain; toss with the sauce. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and 1/4c chopped fresh parsley; toss again briefly. Sprinkle over freshly-grated Parmesan cheese; serve.

Iced Vo-Vo Cake: Grease and line 17x27cm brownie tin. Place 1-1/2c S.R. flour, 1/2c plain flour, 1c caster sugar, 150g cubed, room-temp butter, 2/3c milk and 3 eggs in bowl; beat on low speed until just combined; increase speed to high; beat 1-2mins until thick. Pour into prepared pan; bake in preheated 140C oven, 40-50mins. Cool on rack completely. Icing: Beat 125g room-temp butter and 2c icing sugar until fluffy. Melt 1-1/2c white & pink marshmallows in small saucepan. Transfer melted marshmallows to icing; beat until smooth; add a little pink food colouring; spread mixture over top of cake in two large strips, leaving gap down the middle; dollop 1/2c raspberry or strawberry jam down the middle; sprinkle top of cake with desiccated coconut. Serve with whipped cream! 

32 comments:

  1. There is certainly not enough laughter in the world. And we equally certainly need more. A lot more.
    Mind you, I could never cope with Faulty Towers. It made me cringe. And want to smack Basil. Hard.
    Monty Python on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love Fawlty Towers, EC. I think having been in the hospitality industry for years in one way or the other, it really tickled my fancy...and was so very close to the truth...often! lol

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody Loves Raymond was such a funny show. The grandpa was our favorite and can watch reruns over and over. Same with Seinfeld, Cheers and Frasier. I have not heard of the others you mentioned except, of course, Monty Python. Also loved a crazy old show called The Goodies. A favorite that is on TV now is The Big Bang Theory. It does make me laugh quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can watch reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond too ~ Channel 11 is really bad for showing the same episodes in quick succession. Not enough comedy you are right. I do love a laugh on The Living Room when I can catch it too.

    Hey, I like the look of that iced VoVo cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the closest I've heard a woman say anything good about the 3 Stooges. Usually she would roll her eyes and talk about how stupid they were and only moronic guys like them. But I think the intelligence of their shows is quite underrated. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Seinfeld, too, Grannie Annie. It was a good show. I remember the first episode I stumbled upon one night after I returned home from work...I wondered what the hell it was; and from that wonder I was sucked in and became a fan.

    I've not gotten into The Big Bang Theory...I've watched bits and pieces of it, but it's not grabbed me.

    Thanks for coming in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol...I really like Ray Romano...he was brilliant as "Raymond". He could never win! lol The show is automatically recorded and I catch up with episodes when I feel in the mood for a good old laugh. I do similar with Cheers and Frasier.

    I don't watch The Living Room.

    Iced Vo-Vo cake for this weekend? I'll be there!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dexter...I loved The Three Stooges when I was a kid...they were regulars at Saturday matinees. They made us laugh our heads off - and then we'd mimic them when playing at home! Good old stuff...original, and nobody has been able to emulate their kind of humour. When they try it just falls flat, in my opinion.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right indeed! I met with one of our former board members for coffee earlier this week, and we both agreed to do it more often on our off-time, because we laughed so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And you felt so much better afterwards, RK...good for you. We need more laughter...we need more zany in this crazy world we live in today.

    Thanks for popping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Mrs Brown's Boys and laugh at them quite often, I own series 1-3 and plan on buying the movie when it is released on DVD. (Mrs. Brown D-Movie)
    But the gut wrenching, face contorting belly laugh that goes on until you cry? It's been far too long since I laughed like that. I don't remember when.
    I never enjoyed watching The Three Stooges, all that face slapping and eye poking made me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi River...dear Agnes is a wicked old girl, that's for sure! :)

    A friend and I often have a good old laugh when we get together via phone...which is good.

    Thanks for coming by...cuddles to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I so agree with you...Laughter is so curative in so very many ways.....I remember seeing the film "CARRY ON NURSE" with a dear dear friend and he and I laughed ourselves silly---practically peeing-our-pants, as they say.....I wonder if I would think it was as funny, now?

    DUDLEY and PETER...LOVED, LOVED, LOVED them.....I saw them when they played on Broadway--they were in the Theatre right next to where we were---DIVINE!!!.....They were so funny, and Dudley Moore was such a WONDERFUL Musician and actor, too--in films...So attractive and not afraid to look silly....(A sad ending for him.)

    As you said, There is nothing like a good Belly laugh....NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I laughed a lot when I was with my sisters. There's nothing like a good laugh to make one feel better - you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  15. G'day Naomi...Yep! Dudley Moore was a tremendous jazz pianist...and I'll never forget that scene in "10" when he came out of the dentist and he was still loaded up with novacain. And he and Cook with their "Beyond the Fridge"...they were brilliant together.

    We used to love the "Carry On" movies, too...and as you say, I wonder if I would still find them funny today. Next time one is re-run on TV, I'll have to watch it and see if it still amuses.

    Laughter is the best cure of all.

    Thanks for coming by, Naomi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there Lynn...I can just imagine the fun time you and your sisters had together last week. I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall!!

    Nice to see you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness graciousness, you speak a lot of sense. Too many comedians of similar type, not enough wit and too much smut I say. Keep that at home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. After years of keeping count, I have come to the conclusion that there is a big difference between when others are laughing with you instead of at you. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. G'day Mr. Ad-Man...And how could I have forgotten to mention "Dad's Army"? I was never a fan of Benny Hill, though. I found his comedy smutty...slimey. He annoyed me.

    Thanks for popping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Jerry....I'm at a stage in my life where I don't care if people laugh at me...that's their problem, not mine. If I can give them some humour in their lives, that's fine; maybe I'm the only thing that does! ;)

    However, I do enjoy making people laugh very much and having them laugh with me.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete

  21. C'mon now,
    So what's your favorite joke?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Politicians....probably Putin in particular, Goatman.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. People laugh at Jerry, who would have thought that.....?

    ReplyDelete


  24. Not fair.


    . . . So two cowboys walk into a bar. You would think the first one would have seen it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I introduced my kids to Fawlty Towers over the last month - I think we have to buy the DVDs for home!

    Sorry about the much delayed reply - I've been in the UK for a month and I let the blog sit on the back burner - normal service will resume soon!

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stop picking on Jerry, Mr. Ad-Man!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good one, goatman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Stewart...I'm sure you kids will fall in love with Fawlty Towers, too. It's a classic!

    No need to apologise...it's always nice to see you. Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. How did I miss this ?
    You are exactly right, you know. When I was teaching you could tell it was Friday by the hysterical laughter coming from the Staff room. Stress relief at its best !!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Helsie...laughter solves a lot of issues, that's for sure. It's a funny emotion! ;)

    Thanks for popping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my , oh my have you been spying on my brain. I loved Abbott and Costello and still laugh when I hear the routine "Who's on first?" The Stooges are classics but I loved the little skits on Carol Burnett show. The other night someone put one on Facebook and I laughed until I cried and I thought I might wet my pants. Prince came running into the library and wanted to know what was so funny. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, Lady Di..."Who's on first"...was absolutely brilliant...it still is...it's never been matched to this day; I doubt it ever will be.

    I'd forgotten about "The Carol Burnett Show"...I loved "Laugh-In", too.

    It takes a lot to beat a good laugh!

    Thanks for popping in. :)

    ReplyDelete