Sunday, July 26, 2015

AND THE MUSIC GOES ‘ROUND AND ‘ROUND....






Marvin Hamlisch
Edward Kleban
You know what it’s like when a song gets stuck in your mind. It becomes a squatter, taking up residence, stubbornly refusing to leave.

Unfortunately and annoyingly, there are some songs that hang around far too long (even two minutes can be too long for some) not unlike unwelcome, uninvited visitors.  No amount of hinting for them to go away makes an impression. Nothing seems to work in getting rid of the pesky pests. They have no intention of departing until they’re ready to go; not a moment before. 

On the flipside, however, the good news is there are melodies that make wonderful accompaniments to any day or any night; or both. Those are the ones welcome to set up residence in my mind, anyway.  Of course, I can only speak – sing along or hum – for myself.

Last night I woke up in the wee small hours.  As if by magic my in-built stereo began to play. I didn’t need to press my button!  It was too late for navel gazing, anyway. A song that had been haunting me - in a very pleasant way - burst forth in my mind. It won’t leave me alone, but I’m not complaining.  

Ever since I saw the engaging Josh Groban perform the song on TV a couple of months ago it’s stuck to me like glue. I’ve made no effort to shake it off.  It’d be pointless trying to do so. It’s gotten under my skin. And then, just to urge it along a bit further, he performed live on Channel 7’s “The Morning Show” last week and one of the songs he sang was the very song that’s been playing in my mind. It’s been on constant replay for weeks now; again, I’m not complaining. The funny thing is though…the song has been around for years, and I’ve never really paid too much attention to it until I saw Groban perform it.

I love Josh Groban. I could listen to him all day. In a way, it’s what I’ve been doing.

Groban first came to my attention in 2001. Playing the role of Malcolm Wyatt in two episodes of the quirky, entertaining television series “Ally McBeal”, Groban’s lyrical voice had me, not at “hello”, but at first note.  From the outset he stole my heart.

When Josh appeared with Ally he was a youngster of 20 years.

Lately my days and nights are constantly accompanied by one song; the song I saw him perform on television a couple of months ago; and then again last week.

The magical composition that has me so enthralled is - “What I Did for Love” - the memorable number from the multi-award winning musical, “A Chorus Line”; composed by the late legendary Marvin Hamlisch; lyrics by Edward Kleban.  Kleban, who died from throat cancer at the age of 48 years would’ve been thrilled by Groban’s interpretation of his stirring lyrics. Josh did them justice.

Kleban who wrote lyrics like......... “Kiss today goodbye, the sweetness and the sorrow”; or “Kiss today goodbye and point me toward tomorrow, we did what we had to do – won’t forget, can’t regret; the gift was ours to borrow…” .........was a master of pathos; a genius of understanding; of emotional sensitivity; an intuitive thinker.

The specific lyrics that have me under their spell; the line embedded in my mind refusing to let go is......

 “Kiss today goodbye and point me toward tomorrow”.

I can’t clarify the mystery surrounding those words - of why they bestir such strong emotions within me other than to simply say - to me they’re poignant; deeply moving; perceptively potent. 

Many times over the years I’ve heard the song performed by various artists. It’s been around since 1975.

Groban’s rendition moves me most. It’s the one that has grabbed hold of me; it won’t let go.

Eat your heart out, Elsa! I won’t be following your advice. I won’t “Let It Go! Let It Go!”  So just let it go! Stop harping!

“What I Did for Love” won’t let go of me, either, but I’m a happy captive; content to be enveloped by the intense, insightful lyrics; by the intoxicating melody. “The sweetness and the sorrow; the gift was ours to borrow; wish me luck…the same to you”.

I succumbed to the strain and bought the CD, “Stages”.  By Gosh! The classic show-stoppers are sung with love by Josh.   

Some songs are welcome to remain spinning around in the windmills of my mind; I don’t want to kiss goodbye. 


Mocha Kisses: Combine 140g S.R. flour, 15g cocoa powder and 75g golden caster sugar; rub in 75g cold butter; stir in 1 beaten egg and 2tsp freshly-made espresso coffee; mix well. Roll into even walnut-size balls; place onto well-greased baking tray. Bake in preheated 180C oven, 15mins or until well risen, firm to touch and cracked on the surface. Cool on wire rack. When cool spread with a little raspberry jam on both sides; then sandwich together with butter-cream:- cream 50g softened butter; then gradually add 100g icing sugar; beat until soft and fluffy; add 2tsp freshly made espresso; mix well.  

Chocolate Almond Kisses: Preheat oven 80C-100C. Mix together 140g icing sugar, 80g room temp butter, 140g ground almonds, 140g grated cooking chocolate and 60g plain flour. Form 30 little balls; lay them on lined baking sheet; leave room between each. Bake 30-35mins. Cool completely before storing.  

Custard Kisses: Preheat oven 160C. Beat 250g softened butter and 75g icing sugar until pale and fluffy; add in 225g plain flour, 35g custard powder, 35g cornflour and 1/2tsp baking powder. Roll into small balls; place on lined baking sheets, leaving a little room between each. Press tops slightly. Bake 15-18mins; cool on trays; then sandwich with filling:– mix together 50g softened butter, 240g icing sugar, 3tbs custard powder, 2tsp vanilla; then add 1 to 2tbs hot water, a little at a time to adjust consistency.

Kiss Me-Tini: In ice cube-filled shaker, shake 1/4c vodka, 3tbs heavy cream, 2tbs vanilla syrup and 1tbs amaretto. Place vanilla sugar on small plate; moisten glass rim; dip into sugar to coat rim; strain cocktail into glass.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

36 comments:

  1. Some real God given talent here girl. Love Josh Groban. You ever hear that music marks time and memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Sandie...to me, there's something very special about Josh Groban. Not only does he have the voice of an angel...he's got a wonderful personality, too...he's very grounded, very natural...and has a great sense of humour...just a really nice all-round bloke! He just lights up the screen...and my eyes. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have an ear-worm that you like and welcome. I am prone to getting 'dreadfull ditties' stuck on repeat in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey EC....the lyrics and Groban's rendition of the song just got to me somehow...in the best of ways. I well up with tears, too, every time I see or he him sing the song...it really has resonated with me. Strange, seeing it's been around for so long. Who knows why!

      Thanks for coming in. :)

      Delete
  3. I find it's always the best or the worst of songs that go round and round in my head. None of the middle-of-the-road stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems so often to be the way, River...lol Thankfully, with me...I love this version by Groban of the song...a song I never really gave much thought to before watching his performance. So having it stuck in my head didn't bother me one bit. It gave me a lot of comfort.

      Thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete
  4. When that happens to me and the song goes round and round I can't sleep till I manage to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Helsie...that is so in most cases...but this time I've welcomed its visit...it can stay as long as it likes. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't get all the hype with Let It Go myself?
    On the other hand I love a good chorus line. When I was five I was convinced that Hollywod was my destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you re Let it Go, Carol...but I suppose the little kids love it...and the parents are driven mad by it! lol

      And similar to you...I thought Hollywood was where I would end up, too! Do you think it's too late for us? ;)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. I have never been a fan of that style of music, but there are millions who are. Josh Groban was one of the celebrities on the last season of the Who Do You Think You Are? American TV show. Hopefully, the following link will take you to where you can watch the episode.

    http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/who-do-you-think-you-are/videos/josh-groban-in-his-ancestors-footsteps/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerry...I have a catholic taste in music...I like all genres...but that doesn't mean I like every bit of music in those genres. My collection of music is vast and varied...and interesting.

      We get that show here, too...but I've not seen that episode...so thanks very much for directing me towards it. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I keep getting McCartney's "Day in the Life" in my head since this morning. "woke up got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head". Now I will have to get the vinyl out to hear it for real.
    Just popped in for a visit . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I wish you'd pop in more often, goatman...it's always a pleasure to see you...thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete
  8. Being a Broadway lover since childhood---I LOVE all the really Great Musicals that many people think are old hat,,,,But, not me! "CHORUS LINE" was a true landmark Musical and the late Ed Kleban was a genius !
    There are songs that stick in my head, too.....! And I love that! I agree that Josh Groban is an incredibly talented man with a real sweetness in his being.....
    And speaking of 'sweetness', I love those Kisses you make......YUM, YUM, YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Naomi...We've been blessed with some truly great musicals that's for sure...and "A Chorus Line" is amongst the best, deservedly receiving many, many awards. I hope we never ignore the talents of those who create such musicals or those who perform in them.

      Groban is a special young man...I think he is quite wonderful...he has a special knack of making me misty-eyed and smiling at the same time. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. Hugs. :)

      Delete
  9. I think they call those songs that you can't get out of your head an 'ear worm'!

    The cliffs were great - lots of pictures to follow.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Stewart...this particular song can stick around as long as it likes bringing Josh Groban with it. ;)

      Those cliffs certainly are magnificent...I look forward to seeing your next round of photos. Thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete
  10. Josh Groban's voice is powerful yet angelic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Lux...that is so true. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. mocha kisses and kiss me tini ? (seems to be a scratch on my screen at that spot what is the correct spelling?) - excellently decadent to listen to favorite songs by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda...Kiss-Me-Tini...isn't asking Tini to kiss me, but a play on martini. Perhaps Marty should be the one to kiss Tini! :)

      I think we all should spend this weekend listening to the music we like while sipping on a few large tinis! Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I've had a snippet of a song that I recall occasionally but have no idea what the song is called or where it came from. Google is of no help either. One thing about the internet and music too is that you can find and listen to obscure songs that are actually better than what you often hear on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Dave...so often when I've driving I hear a great song on my car radio and I have to make sure the main lyrics remain in my mind until I get back home...and then I immediately get in touch with my good friend, Mr. Google and his mate, YouTube...and I don't give up the search until I find it! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. I don't think I have heard that song, but I'm afraid to, in case it sticks in my head! The worst are kids' songs that are *written* in keys that are *meant* to stick in your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RK...just click on the video clip above of Groban performing the song, and you'll know what I mean. You won't be sorry...I might be though, if it sticks in your brain and you blame me for it! :) Never fear...it's beautiful, and the lyrics are great.

      Thanks for popping in, RK. :)

      Delete
  14. Prince gets up and switches on the radio so whatever I hear last squats in my mind and I must admit there are some I wish would leave.Lots of folks sing the same songs but it takes a certain Artist to bring you to the music. Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lady Di...there are some songs that drive us crazy...but this one I've welcomed....particularly Groban's version, anyway....thanks for popping in. "_

      Delete
  15. Just stopping by to say hello, Lee; it's been way too long. Enjoy your music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's great to see you, Serena...it's been far too long. I hope all is well with you...thanks so much for coming by. :)

      Delete
  16. The wrong song in the head can be a killer!
    Forcing the right song in can get you through the day right enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Adullamite...you are so right...right enough! Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  17. I've not heard that version. It's so so much more full of pathos and warmth than the original Broadway version which was very much 'of its era'. I shall explore more Josh Groban.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Graham...It's a wonderful version of the song...it certainly woke me up to the song. As I wrote...I'd heard it many times before, of course...but Groban gave it so much heart and meaning in my opinion...I love it.

      Thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete
  18. Well a good dose of Spotify later and I'm impressed. He's on the list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Graham. I'm glad you like him, too. :)

      Delete