Monday, June 20, 2016

KERMIT WOULD BE VERY PROUD OF ME....




White-Lipped Green Tree Frog
Pushkin



Writing about my mate Hieronymus, my in-house tree frog in my previous post got me thinking.  If you’re wondering...my ability to think started long before now.  I think I’ve thought often throughout my life, not only lately.  

This post also answers a question put forth by a couple of my readers in my earlier post re my cats showing interest in their housemate.  For whatever reasons, my cats, not just Remy and Shama who share my life, but other cats that played major roles in my life throughout the years never showed interest in any interlopers who loped into their and my territory.  They, my cats, appeared to take it in their stride....they'd just give a sigh and go back to sleep.

Hieronymus’ tale triggered recollections of frogs that have hopped in an out of my life over the years; and there’s been quite a few.  Silly me! I failed to kiss even one of them! No wonder no prince has made an appearance. On second thoughts, I do now have Hieronymus aka Harry in my life.

I don’t understand why some people hate frogs, or are scared of frogs.  What’s to fear?

When I was kid a floorboard on our front verandah had a piece broken off it where the floorboard was attached to the supporting beam at the top of the stairs. The gap caused by the missing piece allowed us a view of a fat, glossy green frog that lived on the beam beneath the boards. 

Each day my brother and I checked to see if the frog was still there; and for a long time it was. We’d chat with our green mate, but we never disturbed him.   Each night he hopped out to do whatever frogs do at night. Every day we found him back safely ensconced in his protected sanctuary, pretending he’d not moved. No matter how many questions we put to him he wouldn’t divulge what he did during his nocturnal ramblings.

One of our favourite pastimes when we were kids was collecting tadpoles.  We built a little free-form pond under the front stairs. It became their home.

Do today’s kids still go in search of tadpoles?

With keen interest we’d watch the metamorphosis the tadpoles underwent; the growing of limbs, development of lungs, of how the tadpole’s body absorbed the tail. The process fascinated us...the circle of life.  Once the adult amphibian developed, without a backward glance, it hopped off to greener pastures.

That’s gratitude for you!

When I had my greengrocery/healthfood shop in Noosa often, while unpacking cartons of lettuces often I found cute little green tree frogs hiding in the produce.  Fortunately for the frogs, strategically placed about the shopping arcade where my shop was situated were solid, inbuilt garden pots. I’d place the frogs in the foliage out of sight of birds.  After the vast distances they’d travelled to reach me, to end their adventurous lives on a bird’s dinner plate was not on the plate!  Perhaps in the cloak of darkness they hopped across Hastings Street to go for a swim in Laguna Bay when no one was looking.  Skinny-dipping is lots of fun!  I wouldn’t have blamed them one little bit for doing so.  I’ve done it myself!

At the resort on Hinchinbrook Island there was an abundance of plump green frogs and white-lipped tee frogs. A few claimed the cabins as their own. I left them alone.  There was no point telling them to hop it. They’d return before anyone could say “Kermit Robinson!”   After all, it is Tropical North Queensland.

The magnificent white-lipped tree frog, a giant green tree frog, reaches 11-14cm in length.  They lived in perfect harmony with the regular green frogs and tree frogs. There was room enough for them all, including the guests.
  
And then, Grofế hopped into my life when I was living in the house at Yorkeys Knob, the beachside suburb north of Cairns.  On the large rear deck, as well as throughout the interior living area of the house many potted plants and palms enhanced the atmosphere and decor.

When I relocated from Yorkeys Knob to Clifton Beach my plants went with me, and so did Grofế, I discovered soon after I’d settled in. 

Grofế, a well-rounded green frog hitched a ride in one of my potted plants

I named my new green housemate after Ferde Grofế , the composer of The Grand Canyon Suite.
There the pot in which he’d set up home sat on top of my fridge. Grofế was comfortably content in his spot in the pot. From there he had an ocean view. 

At night I’d hear a “plop” as he landed on the kitchen floor.  From there he would hop through my unit, out the front door across the small patio onto the lawn and garden out front.

My two cats, Pushkin and Rimsky, ignored him.  When they heard him land on the floor from his elevated site they’d half open their eyes, but they never bothered to stir much more than that before nonchalantly drowsing off once again.  Knowing Grofế was part of the family, they were familiar with his nightly habit.  He didn’t interfere with them and vice versa.

From Clifton Beach I headed southwards to live on Newry Island to take care of the accommodation cabins, bar, dining, boat transfers etc., etc. , and all else that needed taking care of in that capacity.  Pushkin and Rimsky joined me on the island, but sadly Grofế didn’t. He remained at Clifton Beach.  I’m sure he was happy to do so.  

So you see, having Hieronymus in my life isn’t that odd!   Remy, Shama, Hieronymus aka “Harry” and I live harmoniously in this humble abode.

Lettuce & Rocket Soup: Warm 1tbs olive oil in pot over med-heat; add 1 thinly sliced onion; cook about 4mins; add 750g diced potatoes and 4c chicken or veg stock. Bring to simmer over high heat; reduce heat; simmer, covered until potatoes are almost tender; add 2 cups rocket or spinach leaves and 1c torn lettuce leaves; simmer uncovered 3mins; transfer vegetables to blender; pour in enough stock to cover; add 1/4c cream; season. Blend carefully. Pour soup back into pot with remaining stock; stir; pour into bowls; top with sliced goat cheese.

Lettuce Wraps: Put 800g green, peeled, deveined prawns, salt and pepper into pot; add enough cold water just to cover; bring to boil; reduce to simmer; cook about 1min. Transfer prawns to colander; cool. Put about 100g cellophane noodles in a bowl; cover with hot water; set aside 15mins; drain; cut into 2-3 inch pieces; return to pot; drizzle with 2tbs rice vinegar; toss.  In bowl, mix 3/4tsp chilli flakes and 2tbs lime juice; let sit 5-6mins; add 2 minced garlic cloves, 1tbs sugar and 4tbs fish sauce; whisk until sugar dissolves; transfer to serving bowl. Arrange noodles in middle of lettuce leaves; top with prawns; garnish with finely julienned carrots, sliced basil leaves, coriander leaves, mint leaves and finely chopped roasted peanuts.

Pasta, Lettuce & Prosciutto: Cut 85g thinly sliced prosciutto crosswise into ½-inch wide strips. Put 1tbs olive oil in pan over med-high heat; cook prosciutto until crisp. In boiling, salted water cook 455g pasta al dente; drain; reserve a little liquid. Melt 2tbs butter and 2tbs olive oil in pan over med-heat. Add 1 small onion, finely chopped; cook 5mins. Add 2c fresh or frozen peas, leaves of 1 butter lettuce, 4 chopped shallots and 1/2c chick or veg stock; cook 5mins; add pasta; stir until just heated through; add more stock or reserved liquid if needed. Toss with 1c finely grated Parmesan; garnish with prosciutto.

Green Delight:  Put 2 celery sticks, 2 green apples, 1 cup of honeydew melon, diced and 1 lime through juicer; then place in blender with ¼ cup fresh mint and 1 peeled Kiwi fruit; blend; serve garnished with fresh mint.

"Feeling Groovy"....acrylic painting by me

39 comments:

  1. It is a very long time since I have seen a frog. And I miss them.
    I suspect Jazz n Jewel would not be as tolerant as your furry co-residents though. Jewel spends a lot of time in summer stalking skinks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC....my two don't seem to let much concern them, other than humans. They're so used to just having me in their lives if and when others (as in human others) dare set foot in our/their/my domain that is when they react. And they do react mightily to snakes, as do I.

      As far as anything else is concerned...they're not concerned.

      Every now and then a little skink will make an appearance in my cabin, but Remy and Shama just look on for afar for a brief moment and then go about their own business and take no further notice of it.

      It's great to have frogs around. I love hearing them...all is well with the world when they can be heard. :) Every now and then Hieronymus will remind me he's still here. I've been wondering if he found his way out on Sunday afternoon when we got all the heavy rain. He probably did to have a splash around.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I like frogs, but don't have any living with me. We did briefly have one in a tiny pond by the letterbox when we moved to a new home in Victoria, the kids found him/her the first day, but a couple of weeks later he'd moved on.
    What is this "thinking" thing you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey River...I don't know about thinking. Can you help me? :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Well I have lots of frogs in my garden pond every year but they soon disappear after spawning or when they have morphed from tadpoles never to be seen again until the following year. They are not the sort of frogs that would come into the house. Never having lived in tropical or sub-tropical climes I've never had your experience although, come to think of it, there were tree frogs living in a friends house and verandah in Menorca and they certainly never concerned me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and on the subject of thinking I tried it once but it hurt so I never tried it again.

      Delete
    2. Hi there Graham...I don't mind my little Hieronymus hanging around...he does no harm...he's only a little fellow. I don't even charge him rent!

      As for the thinking bit...it looks like we all suffer from the same malady!!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Your green, Kermit frog is a lovely looking fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...they are handsome fellows, I agree. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. I love frogs, one of the blessed bug eaters. So many amazing kinds too.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Gail...they're wonderful creatures.

      Thanks for coming in...you have yourself a great week, too. :)

      Delete
    2. Today I had frogs and snakes...a very good day.

      Delete
    3. You can keep your snakes, Gail....I can't stand snakes. I'll stick with my frogs. :)

      Delete
  6. your green frog is wonderful, and so unusual to have one as a pet indoors, I love frogs, they are an indicator species and if they aren't doing well the environment isn't in balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Linda...It looks like I'm amongst a group of frog lovers....great to see! :)

      Thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete
  7. What a fun post. I love frogs. And your acrylic kitty is so cute.
    Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra....thanks for your comment...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Last year I build little toad houses and made a wee puddle/pond using cement. The grounds keepers found out I was building a frog habitat and they put themselves in danger by going ankle deep in a pond with an alligator to get me a "cup of baby frogs". None of them survived and I wonder what I did wrong.

    I especially adore plumb toads, and I have one that visits me at night, but outside. Now HE'S gone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lj...I remember when you built your little toad houses...they were great. You may not have done anything wrong...frogs are very territorial...they might just have hopped it back whence they came!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. Good grief! Really? Well, with the heat down here, why they would leave the shade and the shallow pool was beyond me. And I meant I love "PLUMP" toads. Not "plumb" toads. lol

      Delete
    3. I understood, Dana. :)

      Delete
  9. There is a healthy frog population in the dam on our farm and I do so love to sit quietly and listen to them when they get to singing up a storm. Reminds me of my baby sister ringing me at the time of the '73 floods in Brisbane and asking could I hear the frogs from NZ, they were so loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Pauline...I was living in Toowong, Brisbane during the '74 flood (I think that's the flood you're probably referring to)...water, water everywhere. Fortunately, it didn't come into my townhouse unit...I'd moved everything that I could to the upstairs level....just in case.

      The frogs had a ball that January!

      It is great to hear them.

      Thanks for coming in. :)

      Delete
  10. Why are some afraid of frogs? Well parents say "put that nasty thing down". Or "you will get warts if you touch a frog". Wait, I think the warts only came with Horned Toads. Meanwhile I was supposed to be allergic to cats and I think that was just an excuse not to keep the kittens I found. Never touch a dead bird or you will get lice. Now I have cats and frogs and have to pick up dead birds if I come across them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Annie....silly reasons given with no basis...ignorance breeds ignorance, as it has been said.

      You've proven it all wrong! Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Kids are still into tadpoles and the like.
    We had this at primary school, tadpoles growing until the teacher removed them to avoid a plague of frogs.
    I was about 20 when I realised this had been our sex lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pleases to know kids are still into collecting tadpoles, Mr. Ad-Man...there is hope for us all yet! :)

      So the birds and bees have nothing to do with it, after all!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Link to fried frogs' legs recipe...
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/159339/fried-frogs-legs/
    Trouble is you need twenty four frogs' legs. That's twelve frogs condemned to life in frog-sized wheelchairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the mid-Seventies I used to wait tables a few nights a week in Scaramouche,..a restaurant in Brisbane that prepared and served French-style food, Yorkie. So I often served Sautéed Frogs’ Legs aka Cuisses de Grenouille à la
      Provençale to diners.

      I only tried the dish once - they were just like very tender chicken or quail.

      Hieronymus is perfectly safe...he's had a chat to Clint and Clint told him he has nothing to fear from me.

      Thanks for hopping back in. :)

      Delete
  13. I have not seen a frog since I moved to Germany last year...I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow....I guess you're not alone in not seeing any frogs for quite some time, Keith...and more is the shame. They are fine little creatures.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Amazing how that frog stayed.
    Don't seem to see frogs very often and as for little ones looking for tadpoles, have no idea...
    Was fun doing that, I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they know when they're onto a good thing, Margaret...and are in a safe place. :)

      Yes...tadpole gathering was lots of fun...all those simple pleasures were...we were fortunate.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. When I was visiting my sister in Florida last, I was loading stuff in my car in preparation to leave, when a tree frog dropped from a tree into the trunk of my car. I shrieked and slammed the lid shut, then realized that was stupid. :) So I opened the trunk lid again and fished him out and sent him on his way.

    And there was a tree frog in my back porch fern the other day - more shrieking. I'm such a sissy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn....what's there to shriek about? You probably scared the poor little frog! He'll have to go into therapy now. lol

      Thanks for dropping in. :)

      Delete
  16. Nice frogs! Reminds me of a trip to the south of Broome - frogs everywhere!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Stewart. Good to see you....thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete
  17. Frogs. As a little girl, I loved to play with frogs and when my Grandmother told me if they peed on me I would get ugly warts, I fixed the problem by sneeking her quilt pieces and pins to put diapers on them. It was a chore for a young five year old but I managed and had lots more fun with the frogs. I am sure they suffered pain from the pin sticks but I was just a wee one having fun. I hated playing with dolls because they did nothing so I used whatever was at hand, baby chickens, rabbits, kittens, puppies, goats and yes frogs. peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...I love this story, Lady Di! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete