Wednesday, September 21, 2016

DROPPING NAMES – DON’T WORRY - I’LL PICK THEM UP!

Maggie Tabberer Circa 1958
Maggie T Circa 1959
 
Maggie T
Ruth Cracknell
Ruth Cracknell & Garry McDonald aka "Mother and Son"
The Seekers
Torvill & Dean


Since I was a teenager and first became aware of her, I’ve always been an admirer of the iconic, beautiful, stylish, Aussie fashion designer/television personality/ex-model Maggie Tabberer.

From the late Sixties to the late Seventies I was employed within the fashion industry, the head office and factory of which was in the Sydney suburb of Liverpool.  I was employed as secretary to the Queensland Manager in the Queensland office, based in Brisbane.  I was thrilled when one division of the company contracted Maggie to put her name on a range of new season women’s wear. The range, of course, was well-received.

In the early to mid-80s when I operated my greengrocery-health food store in Noosa Heads a holidaying Maggie was a customer; a most elegant one even in casual attire.  In person, she was a very pleasant and natural to deal with, showing no over-inflated, egoistical signs of her well-known status.

Maggie has always been down-to-earth, unaffected by her beauty and fame.  Reading her autobiography in 1999 I realised we’d had a mutual acquaintance.  When I finished reading the book I penned (by hand/hard copy – not email) a brief letter to Maggie via her publisher expressing how much I’d enjoyed the autobiography.  In my letter I made mention of our mutual connections through the years.  It wasn’t a flowery, gushing missive.  Not expecting a response, I thought that would be that.  I’d said what I’d wanted to say.

Within a couple of weeks I received a hand-written note from the lady herself.  The person she’d referred to in her autobiography was, indeed, the same person I’d known.   

Once again, further evidence of  “six degrees of separation”.

Maggie turns 80 on 11th December, 2016.  It’s hard to believe her two daughters are now in their early 60s. 

Elusive time moves too fast. 

As well as Maggie T other interesting folk walked through my shop doors. (In case you’re wondering, I did allow them to leave again). 

One day I was surprised to discover a customer towering over the produce on display was the unforgettable radio, television, theatre and film character actress (and author) Ruth Cracknell. A striking woman, she radiated “presence”.   Ruth Cracknell was a very tall, imposing woman.  Her silver-white hair framed her face.  The unforgettable, hilarious “Maggie” of the much-loved and enjoyed long-running TV comedy, “Mother and Son” was in my shop!!   “Mother and Son” ran for 10 years. What a wonderful comedy series it was.  

I’d grown up listening to Ruth Cracknell because she appeared in many radio plays. She was a regular, familiar voice.  Radio aka “the wireless” played a huge role in my childhood.  She was both a dramatic and comedy actress; and was brilliant at both.  

Sadly, Cracknell passed away in 2002, aged 76.

Judith Durham of “The Seekers”, who at the time lived in the Sunshine Coast hinterland with her husband (who has since passed away), paid a couple of visits. I should’ve asked Judith to sing “Georgy Girl” for me, but I didn’t!  Being as nice in reality as she is in concert and interviews she probably would’ve done so.

Well-known and respected TV journalist Jana Wendt during the height of her “60 Minutes” years was a vacationing customer as was the then Victorian Premier, John Cain.

David Lange, New Zealand’s 32nd Prime Minister was a customer in my humble little store, much to his minder’s surprise.  His minder told me David Lange, a big man, had an insatiable love of junk food. Apparently, it was hard work keeping Mr. Lange away from “Miss Piggy’s”, the take-away in the same centre as my shop of healthy goodies, or from the take-away across the street that was conveniently (or inconveniently) situated next door to where David Lange was staying in Hastings Street. The minder didn’t mind Mr. Lange buying fruit for a change.

One day a young woman, small of stature, strolled into my shop. In fact, she was 1.6m (5ft 2) tall; not that I dragged out my tape measure on the spot to measure her. She wasn’t tall, but she was very wiry.

It was Jayne Torvill; one half of the skating duo “Torvill & Dean” who cemented their fame at the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympics where they received a perfect score for their performance set to Ravel’s “Boléro”. She and I even shared a cup of coffee. Well, she had her own cup and I had mine.  

Those few moments were as memorable, to me, as her famous performance with Christopher Dean.

I can drop more names, too. 

Namely, Ross, the kind gentleman, a stranger, who pumped air into my tyres a couple of weeks ago.  Some might say I’m full of hot air, but none was going into my tyres that morning before Ross generously took over the job.

 And what an angel David, the plumber is. With little notice, he came to my aid with nary a murmur. Nothing leaks past David!  (The genial plumber’s name is “David Angel”).

Leek & Silverbeet Gratin: Blanch 700g silverbeet, stems removed until wilted, about 1min. Drain; squeeze dry; chop; remove excess moisture. Hear 1-1/2tbs x-virgin olive oil in pot; add 3 med-leeks, white and tender green parts only, sliced ¼-inch thick and pinch of salt; cover; cook over med-low heat, until tender. Add 1-1/2 garlic cloves, minced; cook 2mins; add silverbeet; season. Grease casserole dish.  Make a béchamel sauce; add 1/4c each shredded gruyere and parmesan cheeses to the bechamel. Combine sauce and vegetables. Transfer to casserole dish. Bake in 218C oven, 25-30mins.

Leek Fritters: Chop very finely 2 or 3 trimmed leeks. Mix with 3 eggs, 1c crumbled feta, 1/4c each finely chopped parsley and mint, 3/4c flour, salt and pepper; if too runny, add more flour. Heat ½c oil in pan over med-heat. Drop scoops of batter into hot oil. Fry until golden. Beat 1c yoghurt with 1minced clove garlic and salt; serve with fritters.

Cheesy Leek Tart: Heat oven, 190C. Trim 700g baby leeks; wash well; dry thoroughly. Unroll 375g ready-made puff pastry onto large baking sheet; arrange leeks and small bunch of spinach or rocket, drizzled with a little lemon juice, on top. Sprinkle 100g crumbled Stilton and 50g roughly chopped walnuts over top. Bake 25-30mins, until pastry rises and is golden round edges.

Warm Leek & Apple Salad: Combine 1tbs balsamic, 2tbs cider vinegar, 1tbs ex-virgin olive oil, 1tsp prepared mustard, 1 minced garlic clove and 1/4tsp salt; shake well. To fry pan over low heat, add 2tbs pine nuts; toast 2-3mins; set aside. Cut 3 leeks in half, then into 1-inch pieces; rinse; drain well. Cut 1 med-apple into eighths; slice thinly. Sauté apples and leeks 4-6mins until dark green leek pieces soften a little. Put in bowl; toss with vinaigrette and 3-4 chopped dates; serve warm.




30 comments:

  1. I well remember Torville and Dean's amazing performance. I hadn't realised she was such a tiny thing though. Ravel's Bolero was one of my mother's favourite tunes - and we played her out with it at her funeral service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, EC...they were beautiful to watch, that's for sure. They had the world enthralled.

      I, too, love "Bolero" and have it on a couple of CDS and cassettes. A magnificent piece of music.

      Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved Mother and Son and would watch it again if it came back to TV.
    I'm surprised to hear Maggie T had her daughters when she was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, River...Maggie had her first daughter when she was 18. She married her first husband when she was the tender age of 17.

      Mother & Son was fabulous. I loved the show, too! So funny!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I had to look up silverbeet as know it by swiss chard, and I am going to try the leek and apple salad, an unusual combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Linda....sorry...I was going to write "Swiss chard" in brackets so those in the Northern Hemisphere understood what I was referring to, and I forgot to do so. I like it and have it often.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I have heard of The Seekers and Torvill & Dean (my mom adored figure skating). It must have been so lovely to have them pop in your shop.

    Again - you've done so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn...The Seekers were great and Judith Durham the lead singer has a magnificent voice. They're much-loved here in Australia, and the UK.

    The others named are well-known here in the Land of Oz.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopping by to say hello - I made those leek fritters from before and they still look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Sandie...great to see you as always...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. You can drop names all you like Lee. I am sure you would have been so composed ~ none of those fan-girling moves. I love leeks, so thank you for a few more recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carol. You're right....I've never been an embarrassing, swooning, screaming fan! lol "Composure" is my middle name...along with Frances!

      I hope you are enjoying your holidays...a well-earned and deserved break, I'm sure. Make the most of it.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. The most famous person I know and count as friend is Bob Dylan's drummer.

    You have lead an exciting life.

    I enjoy Nature. Pretty obvious, right?

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love drummers, Gail!! That's a good person to have known or know! :)

      I've had some fun moments throughout my life...now I've settled for a very quiet, private existence...and am loving it!

      Thanks for coming in...and keep enjoying Nature...I enjoy it along with you. :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can name drop too. Amongst others I have met The Queen Mother (deceased), Jimmy Savile (deceased), the singer Lulu (twice), cricketers Gary Sobers and Wes Hall, Mick Ronson (David Bowie's guitarist) and British Labour politicians John Reid and David Blunkett. But the most illustrious human being with whom I have ever communicated is a wonderfully talented wordsmith from Tamborine Mountain, Australia. Her name is Lee George or "Georgy Girl" to her friends. She writes for "The Tamborine Times" and it is obvious to me that this blogpost was just a straight lift of her recent article in the September 22nd edition! How could you Ms Connection? Give credit where credit is due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met Wes Hall, too...back in the early Sixties. The West Indies's team, captained by Frank Worrell came here to Aus to play cricket in 1960/61. And, strange though it might seem, they visited Gympie for an exhibition match. A special record hop was held in their honour. Wes Hall and his mates danced and danced...and I got to meet him, albeit briefly. Sobers was there, too...but Hall was the star attraction. He was a memorable character.

      As for Savile...best wipe him of your name-dropping list, I reckon!

      No...this post wasn't "a straight lift"...this post is a little lengthier than my article...you might note. And Lee George has allowed me poetic license to steal her work!! So there, Mr. Pud!!! Without me, she'd be nothing!!!!!

      It's a pity you didn't get to meet David Bowie. I loved Bowie...and still do. I'd hoped that he would've come into my shop when he stayed at Noosa during one of his tours. I sensed he was in Noosa but when I mentioned my "sensing" I was told I was being silly...and then in the local paper a few days later it was revealed that Bowie had, in fact, snuck away for a day and night. He stayed in a unit on the ocean-front at First Point, in Noosa. I would still be in shock if he'd visited my store...how I wished he had! :)


      Thanks for coming by. :) (And I'm sure it would've been a thrill to have met the Queen Mum, too...she was a grand lady)!

      Delete
  11. You often introduce me to people I have not heard of before. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Annie...Maggie T. and Ruth Cracknell are very well-known names here in Aus. Maggie, aged 80, is still a beautiful woman. Ruth Cracknell was a much-loved character.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. But no J Cosmo Newbery. I am shocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...I keep you private, Cosmo...all to myself!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. I drop names also.
    I tell folks I know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Do you, Mr. Ad-Man! I wish you wouldn't. You know I go incognito! MI6 and the CIA will be now on your trail! Lay low, my man!

      Thanks for coming by...leave after dark..by the back door! :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Lux...although I am a little confused by your comment. I don't understand it. :)

      Delete
  15. Fritters. Anything with the name Fritter is going to be delicious. I LOVE making potato fritters, full of red and yellow sweet peppers and leeks. The colors alone dress up a plate.

    It's unbelievable to read of all names you drop. My only hand written note came from......oops......there when my brain cell. Now I'll spend days trying to remember who it was. He played Doctor Kildare, so it was obviously his agent's secretary who sent the note.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My brain cell just spit out the name RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN.

    sheesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started writing my response to your comment with the name and then I noticed it had already come to you. Chamberlain was a very handsome fellow in his day!


      Did you ever see the 1983 TV mini-series made from Colleen McCullough's novel - "The Thorn Birds" starring Chamberlain as the priest "Fr. Ralph de Bricassart and Rachel Ward playing "Meggie"? It was great...as was the book.

      I love fritters, too...and I think I might just make some for my lunch today.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  17. Again you thrill us with your roaring past. It is funny how Most famous folks act normal unless you call them out. It is much that way here in Nashville as famous people are welcome to go about without being bothered. Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so they should be able to do so, too, Miss Kitty. I'd be ashamed of myself if I acted like an idiot around any well-known people when and if I ran into them.

      I'm sure most of them (excluding the Kardashian mob and that mad Kanye West) want to be treated like normal people. They are human beings just like you and me.

      I probably have told you before a record producer in Nashville...and a successful one...Mark Moffatt (he was a guitarist in band himself at one point)...is an Aussie...and a Queenslander to boot. He and his brother grew up near a good friend of mine in the town of Maryborough..a few miles north of the town of my hometown, Gympie. They are still good friends although now all live distances away from each other; one between Brisbane and the Gold Coast and the other, Rob, Mark's brother lives in Sydney.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete