Friday, June 16, 2017

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I’D HEARD IT ALL!




To clear up any misunderstanding, - please note I said, in black and white - “just when I THOUGHT I’d heard it all”...not “just when I knew I knew it all”. 

Every day it becomes even more clearly obvious to me I’ve not heard it all.  I certainly don’t know it all – if, in fact, I know anything at all. 

My education is sadly lacking, this much I do know because all the well-educated researchers eagerly tell me so every day.   And, seeing they’re so “well-educated”, I have to believe what they say....they keep telling me they know best...and everything.

I wonder if I should become a mature-age student.  I suppose I’d have to be mature first before I’d be allowed to set my toes, let alone feet, into the hallowed halls and rooms of higher education.  If that’s the case, I don’t stand a chance. I’d not be allowed near the front gates, let alone the hallways or rooms.  I doubt there is a university in this country that would accept me.  I’ve far too much to learn. They just don’t have the spare time to accommodate me. 

Perhaps home-schooling is my best, and only, bet. 

I spat the dummy the other day when I read these headlines:-

Quote:-  Study:  Describing Breastfeeding as ‘Natural’ Is Unethical Because It Reinforces Gender Roles...”  And then the content continues – “It’s ‘ethically inappropriate’ for government and medical organizations to describe breastfeeding as ‘natural’ because the term enforces rigid notions about gender roles, claims a new study. Coupling nature with motherhood… can inadvertently support biologically deterministic arguments about the roles of men and women in the family (for example, that women should be the primary caretaker,” the study says.    End Quote

You’ve got to be kidding me!  It probably took five years of university study for someone to come up with this little beauty!

Okay! You men out there – take heed!  

You’d better start getting your act and D-cups together.  I also read somewhere there are tablets on the market called “Natural Curves”, as well as “”Natural Treasures”.   

And I’ve read herbs such as fenugreek, wild yam, fennel, red clover and pueraria mirifica (it’s nature’s answer, apparently) do the trick, too.   So, it’s time for you blokes to get stuck into the herbs and the above supplements!  You may be called upon to step up and do your duty!

On the same day I read the above nonsense re breast-feeding, I also read that reading bedtime stories to your children should cease and desist – pronto! 

The article written by some brainy researcher informed us uneducated mere mortals that reading stories to your kids gives them an unfair advantage over the kids next door, or those down the road, or across the way, who probably aren’t being read bedtime stories! 

The dimwits who come up with these outrageous deductions are the ones spinning bedtime stories, in my opinion.  After reading all that driveling hokum I was totally exhausted. I was the one who needed a dose of vitamins!  (I don’t take vitamin supplements of any kind...relying on foods/vitamins of the natural kind)!

Worse still, in the same week the above bombshells were dropped, a NSW government town crier heralded a decree loudly and clearly, proclaiming a war had been declared on butter and Vegemite, among other things, being served in school canteens. 

Poor old Vegemite sure gets a kicking from pillar to post and back again.  It’s a pretty sore and unhappy little Vegemite these days after learning it’s being slammed by those spreading the venomous denunciations around the place.  

And it’s a pie-in-the-face moment that the reputation of the good old Aussie favourite, the hearty meat pie, is being denigrated, as well. 

Why, oh, why do “they” defame Vegemite and the pie?

I refuse to give up either, any time soon...or later!  So there!  Stick that in your pipes and smoke it, researchers!   

"Experts”....drips under pressure!

I guess the only chance I have is to mature; only then will I become a mature-age student able to study the reasons behind all this gibberish. 

However, even at the end of my many years of study I won’t have heard it all - no matter what I think I think or think I know!

Vegemite Muffins: Combine 1-1/3c plain flour, 1c wholemeal flour, 1tsp bicarb soda, 1tsp mustard powder, pinch of salt and 1/2c grated tasty cheese. Whisk together 3/4c milk and 1/3c sour cream; stir into flour to form dough. Knead gently on floured surface before lightly rolling out to a 20x25cm rectangle; spread with 1tbs Vegemite; roll up from long side. Cut into pinwheels; place, cut side up into12x1/3c capacity greased muffin pan. Sprinkle with extra cheese; bake in 200C oven, 15-20mins. 

Mighty Meat Pie: Combine 1kg chuck steak, cut into 3cm cubes, 660ml dark ale or 500ml Guinness, ½ bunch thyme, 6 garlic cloves, halved, 1tsp black peppercorns and 1 large onion, chopped. Marinate overnight, if possible.  Drain beef; reserve liquid. Pat beef dry; dredge in 1c seasoned flour; the fry in small batches until brown; set aside. Stir 1tbs Vegemite through reserved marinade; add this to casserole dish with seared beef. Cook gently over low heat or in 150C oven, approx 3hrs. Season to taste; cool. Grease pie dish with butter. Roll out 500g puff pastry; cut into 2 discs; one large enough to line dish; other for lid. Fill with the beef mixture; brush edges with beaten egg yolk. Crumble 100g Stilton or blue cheese (or cheddar) over filling; put lid over top; seal with firm crimps. Brush lid with the egg; cook in 180C oven, 45-60mins. Served with steamed greens and mashed spuds.

Chocolate Fudge with Vegemite Caramel: Line 13x22cm loaf tin with baking paper. Melt 180g condensed milk with 200g dark choc chips. Spread evenly into loaf tin; put in freezer for about 30mins. Make caramel – place 100g condensed milk, 1tbs golden syrup, 2tbs caster sugar, 1tbs butter and ¼ to 1/2tsp Vegemite into small saucepan; bring to boil over med-heat; stir often. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5mins, stirring regularly. Check balance between too soft and too chewy by putting a small drop on cool plate. Scrape caramel into a bowl; cool about 5mins; then spread onto choc mixture. Return to freezer for about 10mins. Then melt 120g condensed milk and 100g dark choc chips; spread over caramel. Put in freezer for 45mins; the cut into small squares.  Store in fridge.  


30 comments:

  1. Good heavens above what is this world coming to.
    Pies and Vegemite part of our culture.
    As for breast feeding - how weird is your quote! Researches my foot, ignorant ones in my book.
    Reading to children, well I never heard of such rot as another child being effect by someone not reading to them - I make stories/fairy ones up for one of my grandchildren - words out of my mouth she says :) asleep in no time.
    Many 'things' these so called researches and just normal people say and do are not acceptable to me - we know because we are wiser, we are older :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Margaret! I was left open-mouthed when I read those articles, that's for sure! lol

    I'm left open-mouthed while shaking my head all too often these days! See...I can multi-task! ;)

    No one is going to tell me not to eat Vegemite or a good, hearty meat pie, that is for sure!

    Thanks for coming by....I'm off to grab an ice cream from my freezer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh.
    Sometimes it is easy to despair about our species.
    I don't eat either Vegemite or meat pies, but wouldn't dream of stopping anyone else.
    And read to your children. And read some more. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, EC. I hope you're feeling a lot better now, and are back ready to take on the idiots we have to contend with! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I read this and am commenting first thing in my morning. You've ruined the start to my day. I may never recover. Your comments on the inanities are so apt I won't add to them. I'd probably be offensive anyway and I really don't like being offensive. It's many years since I heard that description of experts. I must start using it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely, Graham...you need not elaborate. But I'm sorry I ruined the start to your day! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Researchers get generous funds , so they have to deliver something...
    We have to use our common sense, listen to our body, and act according to what it needs, often regardless of the various experts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Duta...more than generous the funds are...particularly when the end result delivered is a load of hogwash! :)

      I agree - commonsense...a long-lost sense by some...is no longer common. It appears it's becoming a lost sense.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. What?
    WHAT??
    Which highly-educated carbon-based life form came up with this load of hooey?
    NOT reading to kids? Far better in my opinion to encourage the non-reading parents to start reading to their littlies.
    As for giving up butter and vegemite, I'd rather give up chocolate.
    The fudge recipe sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I ssid, too, River...over and over again..."What?!!'

      I, too, shall never give up Vegemite or butter...nor will I give up chocolate - dark chocolate! Whooohooo!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm glad I got to read to my daughter when she was little....I don't think it gave her much of an advantage over other kids though considering her marks in school. On the other hand, because my Mom read to me I could read before I got to school....thank God for advantages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delores...Reading to one's child/children not only encourages them to read, but it encourages their imagination. These researches are ridiculous; they prove nothing other than those coming up with these ridiculous deductions are ridiculous!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Sometimes the world just seems to get madder and more weird.

    Thank goodness for breastfeeding, reading books and enjoying your children and grandchildren!
    Here in the UK I say thank goodness for meat and marmite!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Jan...Yep! I often say I'm amazed my head is still attached to the rest of my body because I'm shaking it so often!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. seems every day there is something I say just when I heard it all; canada now wants to make a law that if you use the wrong pronoun for someone's gender you can be arrested jailed and fined; and a mother in San Francisco said she doesn't pick up her 6 month old baby unless he gives her permission, oh that chocolate I want some; interesting knife with the pink handle ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Linda! What????? For heaven's sake! Has everyone other than us gone completely insane??????

      Yes...that is an interesting knife!

      I hope all is well...take care and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Anonymous10:18 PM

    I think I too need some education to understand each piece of nonsense you've mentioned. Regarding the reading, talk about taking things to the lowest common denominator. Btw my niece very quickly became adept at breast feeding her twins at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew...it's difficult to understand all the nonsense, but I think I could be just smart enough to ignore all the garbage "they" spew forth....as are you, I'm sure. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. I read and read and read to my children from their birth and they loved stories and they loved to read themselves when they were older. Their elementary school teachers said my children had the best vocabularies of any of the children in their classes. Now my grandchildren communicate exceptionally well because their parents read to them also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Annie. Yes, when I was little we, too, were read to, mostly by our Nana because Mum worked, but she, too, read to us when able to do so. Also we loved listening to Nana's stories told to us at bedtime of her life when she was growing up. Books played a major role in our lives. For our birthdays at for Christmas we always received books as part of our presents...never less than four each gift-giving/receiving time.

      How these clowns come up with the ideas they do, beats me!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I actually went back to college just prior to going through menopause and finished after two years. Those were the two happiest years of my life. I haven't done much with my late in life college degree, but I'm proud that I did it. If I can do it - anyone could! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Lynn. To do something you wanted to do...and having succeeded in getting your degree...is great. And you have every right to be proud of your achievement. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. Maturity can be very smelly. Years ago we were camping in France. We had a little fridge and into this we put some mature French cheese we had bought that day in a French supermarket. During the night we woke to the smell of this cheese. It was filling the tent with the kind of stench you'd expect to find at the back door of a slaughterhouse. Vile!

    Actually I think the idea of you returning to education is not a bad one. You are a great writer but a writing course might help this talent to really blossom. The tutor might be in for a few surprises though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't smell, Yorkie - my lack of maturity is testament! :)

      I have no intention of "returning to education". I get enough education each day here in the real world. Back in the early 80s I did attend writing classes for a couple of months, but soon they came to an end when work commitments took over and left little spare time.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Such a great post! A lot of thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shon...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. The lie of 'gender!'
    Male and female they are created and stupid people try to chaneg things, this is impossible!
    I may apply for a grant to study whether leaves fall from trees or are they pulled from the trees by men in a bad mood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be so interested to hear what you have learned from the study of leaves, Mr. Ad-Man...I'm sure the result will leave me speechless!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  16. No mention of The Beatles thank god. The Americans wish the Fab Four were American. I sometimes think they are myself. No, they're from Liverpool. Get over it.

    Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!
    Thank for your very good article...!

    บุนเดสลีกา

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really a beautiful blog.It is very astonishing and marvelous design.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete