Tuesday, December 04, 2018

BINGEING AND WHINGEING...


Bundaberg Rum Distillery, Bundaberg, ..a city situated on the Burnett River, Queensland


I hope the following plethora of information isn’t too much to ingest in one sitting, but contrary to what you may be thinking, I’m not a binge drinker, other than of water.

The last time I binged on beverages of the alcoholic kind was when I ingested one ice-cold Crownie aka Crown Lager, and three glasses of chilled RosĂ© during Australia Day afternoon, which, as you’re no doubt aware, still falls on 26th January.

On that particular afternoon, like a wild animal escaped from the zoo, I went crazy.  I let my hair down Ozzy Osbourne-style. However, no bats were harmed in the process.  During the pleasant street party soiree shared with neighbours who dwell in this exclusive enclave of this plateau the only old bat to lose its head was me.  

Since then, it’s been a “long time between drinks”....with no oasis in sight. Don’t misunderstand me....I’m not whingeing. However, don’t lose hope...all is not lost! I’ve been bingeing in a different style...on my favourite TV series and movies. 

A boring old fruit I am, it would appear to some, but an old soak I am not, even if, at present, my place does smell suspiciously like a distillery – the Bundaberg Rum Distillery. 

Anyone walking by my cabin would think I’m on a 24-hour, seven day-week binge.  

Early last week I soaked a pile of dried fruits and raw walnuts overnight in readiness for the making of my Christmas cakes.   

Each year I make two Christmas cakes - one for me, and one for my ex-husband, Randall.

Once upon a time I used to make my rich, fruit-filled, alcohol-soaked fruit Christmas cakes in September, but these days because I no longer entertain/home cater the way I used to do in years of yore, I now make the trusted, and delicious, boiled fruit cakes.  I love boiled fruit cakes.  My Nana used to make excellent boiled fruit cakes, and I’m reminded of her and my childhood whenever I make them.  

Walnuts join in the fun, along with the rum-soaked mixed fruits (including dried cranberries), crystallised ginger and chopped dates.  I always toss in some cocoa and instant coffee powder/granules to add even more subtle flavour during the boiling.  The cakes are topped with almonds, a few walnuts and glacĂ© cherries.  They are then allowed to do their “thing” in oven.

As is my wont, I soaked the abundance of fruit, walnuts etc., in good old Bundy Rum. 
Of all days to make Christmas cakes was Wednesday of last week.  The day relentless, cyclonic, gale-force winds hit the area.  The day was horrible...horrendous.  I've been in cyclones when living in North Queensland...and it was similar to being in a cyclone, but with no rain....just damaging, dangerous wind.  The heat, also, was unbearable...but bear it I had to do.

It was definitely not a day to be out and about because of flying missiles...tree branches etc.  It was frightening enough being inside.   

The early morning began calmly, but late morning the world turned upside down, and the mayhem began.

Shortly after mid-day, somewhere or other, a flying, out-of-control trampoline cut power to the whole mountain. 

Fortunately, my second cake, which was still in the oven when the power went off at 1.40 pm, had just finished cooking – perfect timing, but unplanned.  

For the ensuing 12 or more hours there was no power on this side of the mountain. The northern side, Eagle Heights, were without power for 24 or so hours.  

While on the subject of bingeing...my fruit cakes like to binge.  They are partial to a noggin or two of rum, and beg for a top up once a week or so until Christmas. 

One can’t blame them because dark rum is a good drop.  Just ask Captain Jack Sparrow, Blackbeard, and their fellow buccaneers.   

Captain Kidd didn’t kid around when it came to a barrel of rum...or a chest of treasure.  Being a Scotsman, Kidd preferred Scotch whisky, though, but swashbuckling pirates couldn’t be choosers when battling the high seas. It was thirsty work, but there was no point whingeing.  A “ho-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum” binge solved the problems. 

Pondering upon the thought...rum could also be the cause of Santa’s red nose, and Rudolph’s!

All the whingeing in the world didn’t halt Captain Kidd’s trial and death sentence.

Kidd certainly had something to whinge about, though, because he was hanged two times.  The first time failed - the rope broke! 

I would’ve had a good old whinge, too, if I‘d been him! I’d be still whingeing.

To employ such poor quality rope was disgraceful!

The story has it, searches still continue to this day for Captain Kidd's hidden treasure. Many are of the belief not all of the loot has been found.  Maybe I need to go off on a trip...shovel in hand....

When the hangman's deed was finally completed, Kidd’s property was greedily snaffled by the crown; some was given to the Royal Hospital, Greenwich.  Since then the hospital has been through a few name changes.

Hopefully, similar won’t apply to our own Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital in Brisbane.  I could whinge about the latter plan (and I do)...but I’ll let you off the hook while I go back to bingeing on Stan...the streaming service, silly!

Choc-Rum Cake: Beat 1c softened butter until fluffy; gradually add 2c sugar, beating well; add 4 large eggs, 1 at a time, along with 1/2c dark rum; beat well until blended. Have 1 cup of hot water on hand.  Combine 2c plain flour, 1c unsweetened cocoa, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp baking soda, 1/2tsp salt and 1/8th tsp ground nutmeg; add to butter/sugar in 5 portions, pour a bit of hot water in between each portion. Beat at low speed until well blended; stir in 1tsp each almond and vanilla extracts. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured round cake pans. Bake at 175C about 27mins; cool 10mins; remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Frosting: Beat 250g softened unsalted butter until light and fluffy; add 200g cooled melted dark chocolate; beat 2mins. In another bowl beat 300ml thickened cream and 2tbs caster sugar until soft peaks form. Add cream to chocolate mixture; beat 2mins. Spread 1c frosting atop two layers; stack them; frost exterior with remaining frosting. Chill before serving.

Rum-Prune Tart: Heat oven 190C; set rack in centre. Grease base and sides of 23-24cm fluted, loose bottomed tart/flan tin. Roll 350-400g sweet shortcrust pastry out to 3mm thick; line base and sides of tin. Trim edges; chill 30mins. Bake blind 15mins (filled with rice or dried beans). Remove the rice/beans; return to oven for a further 3-4mins so base is well cooked. Set aside. Place 250g stones, dried prunes, 25g butter, 2tbs sugar and 1-1/2tbs dark rum in saucepan over low heat; stir until prunes are plump, moist and mushy. Stir in 1-1/2tbs dark rum; spread over the tart base. Beat 125g room temp butter, 6tbs caster sugar and 1/2tsp almond essence together until mixture is pale and well whipped. Beat 3 room-temp eggs; add to creamed mixture in small batches, beating well with each addition. Stir in 2tbs cornflour, 3tbs milk, grated lemon rind, lemon juice of 1 lemon and 3/4c ground almonds. It’s likely to separate and curdle a bit — this is normal. Spread over the prunes. Bake at 160C, 35-40mins, until set and golden. Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar.

Mellow Yellow: To juice of 2 limes in cocktail jug, add 40ml Bundy, 90ml brown sugar syrup, 240ml mango and orange nectar; fill with ice; top with ginger beer; Garnish with orange slices and mango cheeks.  

36 comments:

  1. Ah, soaking the fruit in booze for a cake, such a good tradition. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my hands tied behind my back, messymimi...to stop me from cutting into my cake! lol I'm being tempted by the hour!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I make rather a lot of Christmas cakes, of various sizes for family and friends. The fruit is soaked in rum and brandy and the cakes are watered with both as well. The cake you have when you are having a drink. A Christmas tradition chez us, started well over twenty years ago.
    I hope that you have no more power cuts and much cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do what you do, EC...but no longer. As I wrote...the only extra Christmas cake I make now is for my ex...the cake is always part of his Christmas gift from me.

      My life these days is simple...and I no longer entertain...if I can help it! lol

      It's much cooler today, thank goodness.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad your cakes got cooked before the power was cut. The Choc-Rum cake sounds really, really nice. I've copied and printed the recipe to try during the winter when I want to warm the kitchen with baking.
    We're in the mid 30C range today with 39C expected tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River...thankfully, it has been a lot cooler here today....the heat has been horrendous, and even more so have I suffered since all the shading leafed tree limbs that covered the whole roof area have been removed because of all the tree-lopping that went on. I thought I was about to expire on Sunday. The heat was unbearable. I was concerned for Remy and Shama, too...but we three musketeers made it through! :)

      So...take it easy yourself...nothing is worth doing during such high temperatures.

      Other than the cakes, cooking is not on my current agenda!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. Your cakes look very tempting!Rum and brandy give them a unique flavor. Italians are famous for their desserts flavored with rum, brandy, wine. I especially like their tiramisso cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...there is no doubt the spirits (and wine) add wonderful flavour.

      I love tiramisu, and used to make it often once upon a time...but I've never made the tiramisu cake.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Love boiled fruit cake and really don't care for any other fruit cake.
    I don't cook either for nobody eats them in my house.
    Don't shudder because we don't have Christmas Cake :) it's ok :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not shuddering, Margaret. I almost wasn't going to make any this year...but the old tradition took hold...and I gave in to it. :)

      I won't be going overboard for Christmas. Just a few little treats for me and my furry mates, but then...I'm always treating us! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous1:47 AM

    It is hard to imagine being without power for twelve hours and not dying. Ah, phone internet will still work but still I would lie dead on a bed without cooling.

    While I haven't made it for years, my simple boiled fruit cake was rather good. Yes, a Christmas cake needs to be nourished before Christmas Day. Ours gets doses of brandy.

    I am well aware of who Lady Cilento was and I don't know about problems at the hospital in her name. Yes, of course I could search it out, but it would be interesting to hear about it with your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew...everyone was without the internet as well as without power. I'm always in the dark...just more so that day and night! :)

      I could say a lot about the nonsense that is going on about the ridiculous ignorance and insulta behind the change in name of the Lady Cilento Children's Hospital...but I've not the time right now to express my opinion on the matter...and it would take up a lot of space and words. Best you research the story behind the unnecessary decision/action.

      That you have never heard of Lady Phyllis and Sir Raphael Cilento amazes me.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllis_Cilento

      On a far more minor note to the wonderful work both doctors did....they were also the parents of the late Diane Cilento...actress...once married to Sean Connery...and later married to English playwright,screenwriter, novelist. Anthony Shaffer wrote "Sleuth", "The Wicker Man" and "Frenzy"....do a research on him, too.

      Peter Shaffer, Anthony's brother wrote, among many other brilliant works..."Equus" and "Amadeus"....he, too, is worth researching.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphael_Cilento

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:59 AM

      This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous1:00 AM

      Yeah, I should have used a but instead of an and in my comment. I did know who she was, and I know about her actress daughter too. While I have seen Diane Cilento in many things, it was an Australian film or tv series I remember her best in. Wikipedia tells me it must have been For the Term of his Natural Life. No, I don't know about Sir Raphael or problems at the children's hospital. Nor did I know about Shaffer, but I certainly know his works.

      Delete
  7. Hubby has been making persimmon cakes all week. No rum involved but lots of persimmons and spices and a terribly messy kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...the persimmon cakes sound delicious. They'd be lovely and moist, no doubt.

      The messy kitchen will be worth it in the end! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. ah, my aunt joan used to make wonderful fruit cakes for everyone in the family; I do miss those cakes, she decorated them with the fruits on top much like your boiled cake and she made them months ahead and soaked them over and over again; I think I am the only one who likes fruit cake, others in this country make fun of them saying they can be used as a doorstop; I think it's all in who makes the cake and I am sure your cakes are just as good as I remember my aunt joan's being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...I used to make the rich fruit cakes months in advance...and top them up through until Christmas...but no longer do I do that...the boiled fruit cakes are suffice...and they are equally delicious...and rich! :)

      I like fruit cakes...but, nowadays, only make them for the Festive Season....and if I'm in the mood, sometimes I get carried away and make them at Easter, but not every Easter.

      Not blowing my own trumpet...I don't have one and probably would blow it out of tune, if I did have one...my fruit cakes are pretty damn good... lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. I love how you continue the tradition of the Christmas cake. My mom used to make one but she never let us eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Arleen....why weren't you allowed to eat your mother's Christmas cakes? How strange!

      I should send you a slice of mine! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. That chocolate rum cake sounds delish.
    A very belated Happy BDay, Lee. I left late belated wishes on the blog awhile back then got busy and didn't get over to tell you.
    Hope your season is filled with merriment and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. By choice, I spent my birthday very quietly. I should have made that chocolate rum cake!!! :)

      My intentions for Christmas are similar...however, I will enjoy myself in my own quiet and peaceful way, and not miss out on special treats while doing so!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. "They call me mellow yellow" (quite rightly) ♫ ♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song keeps flowing through my mind, too, goatman...since I named the punch! lol I take responsibility!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. My SIL Rosemary lives at Eagle Heights and so was without power for a long time. Very difficult when that means without water too. No water to drink, cook or wash but worse still to flush toilets too ! I think they are looking into the purchase of a small generator.

    Christmas is coming very quickly, I'm trying to get into the spirit ! Hope you have a merryone, by the sound of those cakes it certainly will be !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helsie...Yes,...Eagle Heights were longer getting there power returned than over on this side of the plateau...about eight hours after here where I am at the southern end...aka Mount Tamborine.

      On the Thursday morning, I'd just rung a friend who lives at Eagle Heights to find out how they were coping over that way...and less than a minute into our conversation their power came back on.

      I've always got back water supplies on hand...in buckets and other containers for such purposes because the water supply here on this property is dependent upon the power. And, also, often my landlord, without prior warning, drains the tank, to refill it with the underground water from the aquifer.. I always boil my water for drinking, as well. I've learned the hard way from past experiences to always have water on hand. So fortunately, I had enough back-up to cover all purposes.

      My years in the Brownies and Girl Guides served me well....whenever and wherever I can...I try to always "be prepared"!

      I've yet to get myself into the spirit, Helsie...and I doubt I'll be overly successful. I'll be taking it easy and not going overboard in any way or form. I hope you and yours have a relaxed, cool, happy time....Merry Christmas. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. Your recipes sound amazing. It has been ages since I have made a fruit cake or Christmas pudding. I think I could actually make this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan...the good old boiled fruit cake is simple...tried and tested...and successful every time...if that is the cake to which you refer! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Hope you had a nice birthday …

    I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing the recipes you share, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    PS I hope the weather may be a little cooler for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan...the weather this week, thankfully, has been much cooler. This time last Sunday I thought I was going to expire...no joke! The heat was horrendous and I could find no respite from it.

      I spent my birthday, by choice, very quietly. Birthdays come and go all too quickly these years...thank you for your good wishes. :)

      And thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. There's a lot of whingeing happening in this blogpost. As I am what you folks call a "pom" or "pommie", I rarely encounter whingeing. We tend to leave it up to the Aussies - especially where sport is concerned. By the way, your Christmas cake sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall not take the bait, Yorkie! I shall not bite!

      I did do a lot of whingeing about the very hot weather and the cyclonic winds we received last week - it was impossible not to do so. However, this week the temperatures have been far more pleasant.... but the whingeing may have ceased, but not the bingeing.

      I have been bingeing out of control on an abundance of delicious stones fruits that are readily available now...peaches (both of the white and yellow flesh varieties), nectarines (similar in description to the two varieties of peaches), plums and cherries, along with juicy, plump mangoes. As usual, oranges, apples and bananas have joined the party.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  16. I make 6 Christmas cakes each year (as gifts for other people) so I soak a lot of fruit but I use brandy. The kitchen stills smells delicious for a week or two though. Although I don't boil my Christmas Cakes I do make boiled fruit cake and that is probably my personal preference. Power cuts are less frequent now on the Island than they used to be thank heaven. I still keep an emergency generator though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham...touch wood...power outages are pretty rare here, too, but with a flying trampoline picked up by the gale force winds we had that particular Wednesday, anything was likely to happen....and did

      Some folk had trees and/or thick tree branches crash through their roof or walls...it was a wild old day and night. Mother Nature out of control, throwing a tantrum!

      I only make the boiled fruit cakes nowadays...I gave up making the other full-on fruit cakes a number of years ago. They are the ones I used to make - and over the years made many. I only make Christmas cakes these days for my own eating...and the second one as part of my Christmas gifts to my ex-husband. I've just now returned from the Post Office, having posted his parcel off to him.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  17. I miss my mother's Rum, orange fruit cake and I miss my friend Pat's brandy filled chocolate covered cherries. I cannot drink anymore but I bet I could still eat those favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Annie. I can still drink, but I don't...I just can't be bothered...I never think about it much. I will be having a couple of glasses of wine on the evening of Friday, 21st...my landlords are hosting their annual Christmas party, to which I am, as always, am invited.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete