Sunday, January 13, 2019

ALL TOGETHER NOW – FOLLOW THE LEADER - OR DON'T...IT COULD BE IN YOUR BEST INTERESTS NOT TO!





Nowadays, one has to be a contortionist to survive. 

Constantly we’re told we have to “buckle up”; “knuckle down”;  “tighten your belt”;“put on the brakes”; ”bounce right back”; “toe the line”; “keep your head down”;  “pull your in”; “brace yourself”;  “bite the bullet”;  “keep your eye on the ball”;  “keep your chin up”; “keep your nose to the grindstone”; “pull your socks up”;  “put your best foot forward”;  (I don’t know which is my best foot – they both look much the same to me and appear to do similar jobs – sometimes not perfectly); “broaden your horizons”; “keep your head above water”; “sink or swim”; “dive in the deep end”;  “don’t jump into the deep end”, “think twice before you leap” - I wish they’d make up their minds!  “Take a deep breath”; “exhale”, and so on the instructions are tossed at us like orders from an army sergeant.

Personally, I prefer to think more than twice before taking a leap.  I decided against any form of leaping…loudly in warning, my hips scream…”Don’t You can’t do it!” I do as I am told....in that case, anyway.

If we attempted to do all the above tasks, we’d have no time to spare, not to mention the total confusion trying to follow so many commands!

Perhaps life would be better if we went out on a limb and played it by ear! Or it would be best to twiddle our thumbs to decide if it’s thumbs up or thumbs down while taking one step forward and ten back, all the time rolling our eyes, raising our eyebrows and shrugging!

“Multi-tasking” is a popular term of The Noughties.

Of course, we could spin in one spot and go nowhere! 

If I had a penny, I’d toss for it and make a decision, one way or the other. 

Unfortunately, I no longer have any pennies.  A couple of years ago, I gave my collection of old coins and notes to the grandson of a good friend of mine.

It’s important to remember, however; if you can’t jump that pesky hurdle, go around it, or dig a hole and crawl under it! 

Whew! Now we need a nap.  Well, speaking for myself…I do, after all that exercise and exerted energy – but, before you go, here are some budget-friendly food ideas to chew over.


Cajun Beans: Cut 2 bacon rashers into ½-inch pieces; cook until brown; drain: set aside. To pan, add 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped celery stalks, 1 chopped capsicum, 1 zucchini, diced, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 2tsps Cajun seasoning, pinch of cumin, 1/2tsp thyme; season. Cook 10-12mins, stirring occasionally. Add 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained; cook 10mins. Stir in 2-1/2c cooked kidney beans and 1-1/2c of bean cooking water (or canned beans) and the bacon. Cook 3-5mins. Serve over brown rice.

Macaroni Tuna-Cheese: Cook 250g macaroni until tender, drain; rinse. Melt 4tbls butter in saucepan; add 2 chopped onions and 1 small chopped capsicum; sauté over low heat 3-4mins, until tender. Add 2tbls plain flour, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly. Add 1c milk and 1 can of mushroom soup; stir over low heat until smooth and thickened. Add cooked drained macaroni, 250g canned tuna, drained, 1/2c thawed frozen peas and 1/2c grated cheese to sauce mixture, stirring constantly. Pour the mixture into buttered casserole; top with grated cheese and some buttered, soft bread crumbs; bake at 175C about 40mins.

Chicken in Puff Pastry: Cook 4 bacon rashers until crisp; drain; crumble; set aside. Drain pan; don’t wipe out. Add 1tbl olive oil to pan; add 3 boneless, cubed chicken thighs and 1/2c chopped onion. Cook together until chicken is no longer pink. Remove with slotted spoon to a bowl. Add 125g softened cream cheese and bacon to chicken; mix well; add some chopped fresh herbs. Cut a sheet of thawed puff pastry into 4x6-inch squares. Divide chicken between squares; fold in half. Seal edges; press with fork. Place on baking tray; brush with beaten egg. Bake in preheated 200C oven 20-25mins.

French Onion Pork: Slash edges of 4 pork loin chops. In pan fry 2 chopped bacon rashers until crisp; drain. Add a little oil to pan brown chops; transfer to plate. To pan, add 2 sliced onions, 1tspn Italian herbs; season. Cook 10mins. Sprinkle 1tbl plain flour into pan, cook, stirring 1min. Add 3/4c chicken stock; bring to boil, stirring and scraping. Return bacon, chops and juices to pan, turn chops to coat. Cover, reduce heat; simmer until cooked. Stir in 1tsp cider vinegar.  Return, uncovered, in oven, for about 10mins.

Layer Casserole: Layer thinly-sliced potatoes, carrots and onions in buttered casserole. Sprinkle 1/2c uncooked long-grain rice over vegetables. Add 2 un-drained cans of peas; arrange 500g pork sausages over peas. Dilute 1 can tomato soup with water; pour over sausage; season. Cover; cook in 175C oven, 1 hour – then uncovered a further hour. 

22 comments:

  1. Well, i look before i leap, as leaping doesn't usually turn out for the best. And i will certainly do my best to keep my chin up and tend to my knitting, but that's about all i can promise.

    Very good recipes, although i've never heard of Cajun beans done that way, it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A stitch in time saves nine, messymimi....it's nothing to get knotted about! :)

      I've just had to climb in and out of a high SUV....that certainly wasn't an easy thing to do with these crazy hips of mine. I'll stick with my little low to the ground car...no four-wheel drives for me. But I did have a very enjoyable lunch when we reached the destination.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. This too will pass is my preferred mantra of the moment. And I am using it about the heat, while thinking 'pass faster...Much faster'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too, EC...I hope and wish it will very quickly...this heat and high humidity is soul-destroying!

      Thanks for coming by. Do you best to stay cool...hard though that is to achieve. :)

      Delete
  3. I hope 'multi tasking' has gone by the wayside. I have enough trouble single tasking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Delores...I'm flat out single-tasking these days, too....I've nothing to prove to anyone...so multi-tasking is out the door!

      I'll just stick to being lazy and watching the Australian Open tennis on TV....I'm sweating enough just doing that!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. french onion pork and layers casserole, two I am unfamiliar with, yes we must toe the line or else. ha. I am of a mind to resist the norm and speak for the maligned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Linda. No hot food for me later...just cold, raw and lots of fruit. It's been too hot to bother about cooking.

      I can't even find the damn line! Go for it...I'm pretty resistant to the "norm", too...it's more fun this way. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:49 PM

    You seem to be in a bit of a mood. Do snap out of it and get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh?

      What gave you that idea, Andrew...what I wrote is just a lot of fun. Obviously our ideas of fun differ. :)

      Thanks for coming by and adding to my confusion! :)

      Delete
  6. My favourite is "sit back and put your feet up", I do that often and sometimes have a nap at the same time. My days of jumping around like the Duracell bunny ae over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, River...sit back with feet up, with fan blowing (in my case...as I've no air conditioning) is a good favourite to have...as well as the nap. Just about every afternoon I have a "Nana Nap". If Remy and Shama can...I can see no reason why I can't! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I multitasked most of life and never gave it any thought. Had to be, had to do, had to go! Now life has slowed down to a crawl and I wonder, “how did I do that”. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...I think we all did, re, multi-tasking - when we were younger...It just didn't have a specific name. We handled many things/jobs at once...like an experienced, expert juggler! :)

      I'm happy not to be rushing around, ruled by time limits, deadlines etc. I like the quiet life now; and enjoy my own company...and that of my two furry mates.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Macaroni tuna-cheese is one of my favorite dishes, and your recipe looks the best!

    Retirement can be wonderful as it enables one to have a dialogue with one's body and soul, choose to be lazy or active, practice independence and ignore instructions given by others. The days of multi tasking are over for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DUTA....At present, excluding the fact that I have no interest in multi-tasking now at my age...it's too damn hot and humid to be getting overly energetic about doing anything...the smallest things. I count myself fortunate here where I live at present...even though it is hot and humid...our southern states...our southern neighbours are being hit by a horrendous heatwave at present. And I feel for thej.

      Thanks for coming by..I hope enjoy the mac-tuna-cheese if you get around to making it. Good, simple, tasty fare. :)

      Delete
  9. I think when you have to, you do multi-task.
    Mind you it can be a little like juggling, throw the balls up in the air and see where they land! Then sort everything out. LOL!

    I'm so pleased that I am now retired :)

    Now that French Onion Pork recipe sounds good :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...These days I do my utmost to dodge having to multi-task. Did enough of that in the past. I really have no reasons to do so now that I'm no longer in the workforce. I do things at my own pace. I've only myself to answer to. Oh! And, of course, most importantly...my two furry mates! :)

      Now I'm even trying to dodge single-tasking...particularly during the heat we've been experiencing.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I must admit that I never really thought of it before but there are indeed a lot of physical sayings in the English language. How cleverly you "pulled them together" - you must have biceps like Bluto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As strong as an ox, Yorkie. I can crack nuts with them!!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my....that macaroni tuna dish looks amazing!!!
    Hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Donna...the mac/tuna seems to have alert a few taste buds!

      Thanks for coming by...all the very best for 2018. :)

      Delete