Wednesday, February 13, 2019

SWEET VALENTINE - SWEET COMIC VALENTINE – YOU MAKE ME SMILE....




Every day should be St. Valentine’s Day...or, at least, in the general, genial sentiments of the chosen day – not the nasty attitudes displayed on Thursday, February, 14th, 1929, which became known as the infamous “St. Valentine’s Day Massacre.

On that particular Valentine’s Day the slaughter of seven members of Chicago’s North Side Gang became long-lasting headlines as they bit the bullet/s and hit the dust on a garage floor at the hands of Thompson submachine guns brandished about by friends of the dastardly, wicked Al Capone.  That’s probably not the best way to go about spreading the love.  I’m pretty sure there are far more genteel, kind ways of enjoying Valentine’s Day.

A couple of weeks ago in the IGA car park I was shown kindness by a total stranger who obviously has a loving heart. 

Once again, I was lost in a world of my own - one would think I’d know my way around by now – as I neared my car with a grocery-filled trolley, out of the blue, I felt a hand gently tap my shoulder while at the same time the following words were spoken - directed at me...

“Can I help you load your groceries into your car?”  

Turning around, I found myself face to face with a lovely young woman graced with a sunny smile as wide as the western sky. From the goodness of her heart, a complete stranger, a smiling stranger, had made the thoughtful offer.   The friendly young woman’s consideration will not be forgotten. 

Thanking her sincerely, I declined her generosity. 

Those few unexpected, genuine, kind words, combined with her lovely smile lifted my spirits to a much higher level...out of the dungeon of despair in which  they were 
wallowing.  

Kindness - thoughtfulness of strangers; a bonny smile, a friendly word, freely offered - restore one’s faith and warms one’s heart. 

Valentine’s Day, of course, is associated with romantic love. A sentiment that is fine with me – it always has been. What can be wrong with a celebration of love? A celebration of caring, and of kindness?

In my most humble opinion we need more such days; perhaps every day of the week, or every other day. 

If you feel the whole thing is a load of foolish, frivolous nonsense, and find Valentine’s Day annoying, you can blame the abolishment of the pagan fertility rituals held each February on a Pope from a long time ago, way before the Dark Ages - years before I was born even.

It was he who didn’t have a romantic bone in his body.  

Because of his harshness, a few centuries after that particular Pope did his deed, Geoffrey Chaucer, the 14th Century renowned poet, author - obviously an idealist dreamer - appeared on the scene to rectify the situation.
  
Called “Geoff” by his mates, Geoff was known as the ‘Father of English literature”....the greatest poet of the Middle Ages.

I’m way past middle age, which means, I suppose, I won’t be great at anything.  That boat has sailed...left the port.  

Chaucer most famously is responsible for gifting the world with - “The Canterbury Tales”.

On a greater scale – in “Life Tales” - be kind; be thoughtful; be empathetic; have a heart.

Since Hava Hearts were discontinued I devour Connoisseurs. 

Think of others, not only of yourself. 

Spread the love around; doing so sure beats the direct antonyms.  Share the ice cream, too!  

Happy Valentine’s Day...every day of the week...every week of every year! 


Pea Fritters with Prawns and Mint Cream: Process 1/2c thawed peas until coarsely chopped. Add 1 egg yolk, 1tbs plain flour, 1tbs fresh breadcrumbs (day-old bread) and 1 shallot thinly sliced; season; process until combined. Heat 1tbs olive oil in pan over med-heat. Add 6 heaped teaspoonfuls of pea mixture to pan; flatten each slightly. Cook 1min per side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to plate. Top each fritter with dollop of sour cream mix, and 1cooked, peeled prawn. Serve as a starter, sprinkled with shredded mint. 

Stuffed Chicken Breasts: Preheat the oven 185 C. Cut 2 chicken breasts almost halfway through. Chop up 55g mozzarella, 2 canned artichoke hearts, 5 large basil leaves, 2tsp sundried tomato, and 1 garlic clove. Mix to combine; stuff it into cut chicken breasts. Use a few toothpicks to close the chicken around stuffing. Place chicken on baking sheet; season it with pepper, curry powder, and paprika; bake 20-25mins or until done.  Remove toothpicks before serving.

Valentine’s Ice Cream Cupcakes: Preheat oven and prepare chocolate cake mix as per package directions; line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Pour 1tbs cake batter into each muffin tin; bake 12-15mins. Remove from oven: cool. Spread mint chocolate chip ice cream on top of each cooled cupcake; place in freezer 3-4hrs to set. Pipe whipped cream or topping on top of cupcakes; garnish with mini-chocolate chips.

Sweetheart Mousse: Melt 85g semi-sweet chocolate squares in double boiler until smooth; remove from heat.  Add 1c cold whipping cream to a bowl’ whisk on high speed until it holds stiff peaks; add 240g softened cream cheese; beat on medium until smooth. Gradually pour in melted chocolate, then 1/2tsp vanilla; add 1c icing sugar; mix until combined. Pipe using large tip, or pour into ramekins or small dessert bowls.  Top with raspberries/strawberries.  Chill about 2 hrs.




27 comments:

  1. Having a heart every day is certainly recommended, as is your mousse, i am sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi....it most certainly is...and so easily we tend to forget.

      A nudge every now and then in the right direction doesn't do us any harm. In fact, it does us good...nudging us to do good. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Valentine's Day doesn't mean anything to me these days, I'll leave all that lovey-dovey stuff to the younger set and any older ones who still have loving partners. I tend to spoil myself with chocolate all year round anyway (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...any excuse for a chance at happiness, smiles and kindness to others is a good excuse in my book.

      Season 6 of "The Blacklist" isn't far away!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day to you - we don't do anything special here, it's just another day. Didn't know about Valentine's Day when we were younger..
    Always so nice if someone offers to help with a smiling face - I would be wondering why she offered, but that's me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Margaret...my two furry roomies know it is a day for caring for others...they've been demanding my attention more than usual...and that sure is saying something! :)

      We knew about Valentine's Day when I was younger...and I was fortunate to be the recipient of flowers at different times.

      I didn't wonder why the woman offered...she would've been in her early 40s-late 30s...thereabouts. She offered out of the goodness of her heart.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Some friends and I were talking about this over coffee yesterday morning after our respective walks (without a dog in my case). People are almost becoming afraid to be nice to people in case their niceness is misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a shame, Graham. Fortunately...so far, here where I live that has not yet become the case. This is a small area here...still with a village-like atmosphere, with people who generally, on the whole - in the majority -willingly share their smiles and "Hellos", and offers of help.

      I hope the status quo remains...it is one of the reasons I like living here on Tamborine Mountain. These kinds of surrounds and attitudes suit me just fine. I'm a "small town gal" at heart, I guess! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Not a bad idea Lee the way the world is these days.
    Scrolling down quickly today, I’m on a diet !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon it is, Helsie. I seem to be surrounded by heartless folk at present, and I want to shake them back into some decent kind of reality...of feeling for others.

      Thanks for coming by...I'm glad to see you've bypassed temptation! :)

      Delete
  6. those ice cream bars were calling to me; been years since I had one; happy valentines day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Linda....I love the Connoisseur ice creams...and am guilty of indulging often...but I feel no guilt! :)

      Happy Valentine's Day to you, too...no more slipping over now!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Happy Valentine’s Day to you, Lee. A simple word, a small kindness can mean more to another person than the giver imagined. This is a great message that you are giving out in your post today. I hope you have some nice chocolate to treat yourself. Above all, we need to be kind to ourselves also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Arleen...how well you have said it. You've warmed my heart...thank you.

      And thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Anonymous2:46 PM

    It doesn't take much to really make someone's day. We should all try to do it more often. The mousse recipe sounds perfect. Rich and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Boy! Andrew...I certainly need some of it today....I've had a shit of a morning! I shan't go into details.

      Thanks for coming by...you'd better make some of that mousse for you and R! :)

      Delete
  9. It's good to spread some love around - not in the manner of Casanova or Warren Beatty - but simply in acts of human kindness - with no expectation of profit or return - just to show solidarity with our fellow human beings - rather like that nice woman in the car park. Your landlord probably needs to learn about such behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, Yorkie...and that was the main theme of my post.

      As for my landlord...there is no getting through to him....he only hears his own voice; he talks over you, not letting you get one single word in...he only thinks of himself. He "knows" everything, not knowing he doesn't He is ignorant and rude. He is a total clown...and I'm not the only person who thinks so.

      When I have all my "ducks in a row"....I am out of this dump, without a backward glance.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. Can't you appeal to the landlord's wife? I guess that she has had to tolerate his tactics over many years.

      Delete
    3. I'm between a rock and a hard place, Yorkie. I don't want to get into a war of words with him. I dodge him as much as I possibly can and try to only have to see him face to face once a month when I pay the rent...which I always pay about 10 days...always over a week in advance.

      I'm living in a permanent state of high anxiety at present...and being in this state is not a good state to be in...and no one has the right to make me feel this way. The sooner I find somewhere else to live...after being here in this converted shed for the past 17 years, the better my life, and health will be. I can't keep living in this completely frazzled manner.

      I don't know how his wife puts up with him...but then she is out almost every day and goes away often on trips....she has just come back from almost a month cruising from the tip of South America up along the eastern coast - by ship - on some cruise the bridge clubs organised. One doesn't have to wonder why she is always away somewhere or other. He is too dumb to work it out! :)

      I'll catch up with her somehow over the next couple of days...without him present...and explain a couple of things. From now on, though, when in his presence, I do want a third party present...because he lies...he fabricates things.

      Thanks, Neil.

      Delete
    4. Seventeen years is a long time. You are a great tenant. You live peacefully and you pay your rent on time. The guy should be thanking his lucky stars. But maybe when all is said and done, if nothing changes, it's soon going to be time to move on. I know you love Tamborine Mountain so I am guessing that you will want to stay there...or going back to Gympie?

      Delete
    5. I'm putting plans into place, Yorkie....I can't take his treatment, his attitude towards me for much longer. It's not right...it's not good for my mental, and physical health. I am now, currently, actively seeking alternate accommodation...here or back in Gympie and surrounding areas.

      I'm getting my "ducks in a row"...I will go at my own pace' not his. I want out...he wants me out, obviously, but it will be on my terms, not his! It will take me a few weeks to get things into order...he is not going to push me out...but every day I'm putting more pieces into the big jigsaw puzzle in front of me. Piece by piece I will get there.

      The local Op Shops are doing well out of me...as I am off-loading a lot of stuff to them....things that have been very dear to me...and that is difficult, too. But one has to put aside sentimentality at times...to save one's sanity. And on it goes....

      What is hurting, is I'm getting rid of books...books I've had for years...books I love.

      Delete
    6. I applaud your approach and I am sure that you will hang on to the most meaningful books of all.

      Delete
  10. We don’t really do anything here either...Larry made me onion soup and I made him Carrot Cake Cookies.
    Everything sounds delicious!!
    Hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds goo, Donna. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. "good" is what I meant to type...sorry. :)

      Delete
  11. Goodness Valentines Day came and went … and now here in the UK we are looking forward to Mother's Day and then Easter...

    The days, weeks and months go by so quickly.

    Love your recipes here.

    Hope you are keeping well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete