Saturday, February 15, 2020

REFLECTIONS OF MY MOTHER…MEMORIES OF ELMA...A TRIBUTE





Elma Flora Hay...aged 18 years....
                              (The melodies are some of Elma's favourite tunes played on our piano)


My mother, Elma Flora Hay was born in Gympie, 17th February, 1919. Elma was the daughter and first child of John and Ivy Hay (nee Hose).   My mother’s grandparents were Scottish Highlanders who were joined by a rogue Irishman who snuck across Giant’s Causeway from Northern Ireland to find a bonnie Scot’s lassie.  My ancestors settled in the Gympie area around the time of the gold rush. James Nash’s discovered of gold in Gympie on 16th October, 1867...a discovery that saved Queensland from bankruptcy.   
The name “Gympie” didn’t come into being until 1868.  The name was derived from the local Gubbi Gubbi language…the Aboriginal language spoken by of the indigenous people of the area, and its surrounds.  The Gubbi Gubbi word - “gimpi-gimpi” means “stinging tree”, a tree similar to the stinging nettle.  The town was originally called “Nashville”  after prospector James Nash. A southern area of Gympie retains the name “Nashville” to this day.
  
My mother passed away 15th August, 1974.

This post is my tribute to Elma.   

My mother was a brilliant pianist.  Barely a day passed without our mother playing our iron-frame Irving upright piano. Many hours, when she wasn't working, were spent at the keyboard.  Her repertoire was vast and varied...covering all genres of music.  Our mother, at various periods throughout the early to mid-Fifties, also was the pianist in local dance bands.

The music videos I’ve posted are some of Elma’s favourite melodies.  If I had a dollar for each time I heard her play them on our piano, I’d be a millionaire a couple of times over….
When I listen to these artists…I hear my mother’s playing…Without prejudice…Elma, my mother, was that good on the ivories…

 My paintings and poems are for Elma...





REFLECTIONS
Reflections abound a melodic symphony of silence surrounds engulfing me
Afar the fiery golden orb bids its final farewell to lingering shadows of day
Tardy birds relish the dying embers as homeward they wend their way
Vignettes remain happy moments sad words a smile the touch of your hand
Selfish am I in my desire for your presence your being not only in dreamland
Wise lessons taught life’s principles bestowed your gentle guidance survives
Seemingly an invisible nimble fleeting minute in the lightning span of our lives
Unforgotten is the laughter our nonsensical joyfulness or the tears we shared
From my heart forever I thank for your unfailing love always showing you cared


A mother’s enchantment at baby’s first cry
Contentment profound as it suckles her breast
Baby’s grasp of her hand as she lays it to rest
Witnessing smiles a tentative first step
First words spoken tears that are shed
Eager anticipation of what lies ahead
Is a love complete unable to be compared




28 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, and i am sure smart and strong, woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was, messymimi...she was also a headstrong...a natural redhead...rich auburn hair.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. What a fine tribute to your Mom Elma, both in prose and verse!
    That's a tribute to her brilliant piano playing, her love, care and guidance as a mother;
    a tribute to her joy and laughter,happiness and tears.
    May her soul rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DUTA...I don't exaggerate or embellish when I describe my mother's prowess on the keyboard. She really was a brilliant pianist...she had a natural talent.

      Thanks for your kind words...and for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to one of the women who made you what you are (I am sure that your grandmother also had a big part to play). I am sure she would be proud. And equally sure that she would tell you that she was 'nothing special' or words to that effect. Even brilliant women are wrong some days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, EC. Nana was an amazing woman, too...quiet, but strong...gentle, but firm. She stuck with Mum - and with my brother and me -through thick and thin. We were fortunate to have them guiding our way.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post Lee. What joy your mother did bring to so many people with her music, a gift.
    My late dad's birthday is on the same day :) but he was born in 1924.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I can still see and hear Mum playing. She really was a brilliant pianist...from classical piano pieces through to modern...pop, jazz, and all in between.

      How about that for a coincidence...your Dad and my Mum sharing the same birth date...if not year. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely tribute to your mother. She would have been 101 years old tomorrow and yet it is very sad that she died in her mid-fifties - never experiencing what it is like to grow old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yorkie...yes...Mum would have turned 101 on Monday - tomorrow...which is only 45 mins away as I type this.

      It was/is very sad she passed away at such a young age.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11:58 PM

    Wow, lovely photos but how good is your poetical tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Your mother was very beautiful and your paintings are too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was, River. She was tall, slim and carried herself well. She did a lot of mannequin work/modelling through to the mid-50s. She took good care of her appearance.

      Thank you for coming by...and your kind comment. :)

      Delete
  8. I am shocked you have those beautiful photos of your beautiful mother. What a wonderful tribute. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does it shock you that I have these photos of my mother, Sandie. I have all our family photos from years gone by. They're all in my possession...I'm the last of the clan.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. A wonderful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh dear Lee, this is such a lovely thing for your Mum. I have always found "Stardust" to be such a beautiful tune and to hear Nat King Cole to sing it here, just gorgeous.
    Your mother, I think I would very much have liked to have known her and to hear her play that piano!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Kay. Mum was a character. Her life was not always easy...she was a hard worker...but she also enjoyed having fun.

      You would have loved listening to her play the piano...and she would have loved playing it for you. :)

      If I had a dollar for every time I heard her play "Stardust" on the piano...just for it alone I'd be a millionaire! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Lucky you to have had such a wonderful heritage. Thoee old music melodies do bring back the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...the great old music certainly does bring back memories...I agree. Everlasting melodies...

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. What a lovely tribute to a lovely, talented woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. Having heard so much about your upbringing and your Mum, it's good to know some more about her. She was born 10 years after my Mum. who was also a Flora (though not an Elma) who was a passable pianist on our iron-frame Van Creusen piano (isn't it astonishing the details we retain in our memories). That was a lovely tribute and an interesting post, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Graham. I see that the Van Gruisen pianos originated in Holland...the Irving pianos were of German origin.

      Our piano had been a wedding present to Nana and Grand-Pop (the latter passed away before I was born)... on their wedding day...from one of our grandfather's aunties...who had taught children to play on said piano. It had a long and rich history.

      Nana, Mum's mother name was - "Ivy Flora"...

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. A wonderful post Lee.
    A lovely tribute to your mother.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post Lee. What joy your mother did bring to so many people with her music, a gift.
    My late dad's birthday is on the same day :) but he was born in 1924.custom swimsuits custom made swimsuits

    ReplyDelete