Thursday, August 13, 2020

“ISLE “BE SEEING YOU....THE WONDER YEARS...CHAPTER TWO....

Orchid Beach...an acrylic painting by me...
Cape Richards (o the right)...and Orchid Beach, Hinchinbrook Island
Ramsay Bay, Hinchinbrook Island
"Abalone"
Me, second from right, dining with guests.  Johnno, my barman on the right.  And the lass, standing, was an Aussie champion in "Big Fish" competitions.




Chapter Two:

To explain my “blowing a fuse” when I found David and Jamie sky-larking on the little one-person sailing craft in the resort pool...I begin this chapter of my Jamie story with...

Bob, the skipper of the “Reef Cat”, the large, powered catamaran contracted to the resort to transport guests, provisions etc., to the island, also played host to the island guests, taking them for day trips to Ramsay Bay, the Brook Islands National Park, Garden and Goold Island, and, the rare times, when the winds permitted, Zoe Bay.

Around 3.30 pm one afternoon, Bob was returning to the resort with a boatload of the resort's guests.  They’d spent the day snorkeling in the crystal waters around the Brook Islands, as well as enjoying a picnic on the island.
  
On the return trip, he passed an errant guest heading, eastward, out to sea, as the sun had already begun its descent into the west.

Bob hailed the lone sailor asking if he’d like a tow back. The cocky guest shook his head. He replied he didn’t need any assistance. Bob continued back to the resort where he reported his sighting to me. I growled. I couldn’t believe anyone could be so stupid, but on second thoughts, I knew I should never be surprised by what some people would do!

Standing on the headland, I scanned the ocean, but could only see the outline of the Brook Islands on the far distant, eastern horizon. There was no sign of the lone sailor.

Dusk fell, followed quickly by the darkness of night. Still no sign of the resort guest. To say I was "angry", was an understatement!

Ted, my head maintenance man, and able seaman, jumped aboard “Lady of the Island”, the little island boat...a 13ft/4m "Abalone" craft with an outboard motor.   

Ted headed out to sea.  “Lady” wasn’t well-equipped for night travel, but Ted, armed with a large marine “Dolphin” torch/flashlight, insisted he’d go in search for our thoughtless guest.

By that stage, I was so angered by the fellow’s arrogant stupidity I couldn’t care less what happened to him!  My concern was Ted’s safety, not the fool who had displayed little regard for anyone else, including his own self.

The rest of resort guests were enjoying their evening, dining and conversing with each other in the dining area, as I tried to keep a lid on things.

Around 9 pm, Ted arrived at the water’s edge on Orchid Beach, the resort’s main beach.  On board, with him, was the not-so-ancient-mariner.  He'd towed the small sailing boat safely back to shore, too.

The guy was in his late 20s-early 30s.  He should have had more sense.

I didn’t hold back in telling the thoughtless excuse for a human being what I thought, either!  I told him if he so much as put his little toe near the ocean I’d have his guts for garters! As far as I was concerned he was confined to quarters for the rest of his stay on the island. He was very contrite after my justified tirade.

For the remainder of his stay on the island, he was meek and mild, and on his best behaviour.

So, my “blowing a fuse” when I spotted David and Jamie in the pool with the sailing craft so soon after that incident, was also justified... I saw “red”.    

Their actions made my words to the foolish guest redundant. Anyway, the initial anger I’d felt towards them didn’t last for long. We laughed about it once they returned the boat back to the foreshore, where it belonged.  They did promise me they'd not do it again!
  
Jamie’s time on the island was good for everyone. He won the hearts of my staff, both male and female. Also, I believe, his time spent in “paradise” served an important lesson in his maturing.  His turning into a fine, young man, from a fine, young boy, was almost tangible.

It was a Saturday. A journalist from the “Townsville Bulletin” was expected on the” Reef Cat”, due to arrive at the jetty around 9 am. He was visiting the island to gather information for an exposé he was writing about the island, and the resort, for his newspaper. I’d planned a special lunch of freshly-cooked mud crabs, to share with him as he and I discussed the business of the day.

The telephone in my office rang. A friend of Jamie’s was on the other end of the telephone, calling from Bellingham, in the US state of Washington.

Jamie’s father had passed away suddenly.  

Hurriedly, I went in search of Jamie. Finding him, gently, and quietly, I took him aside. 
Together, we went down to the beach.  Sitting close beside him, I told him the devastating news.  It was heart-wrenching to see the despair on the young man’s face.

For quite a while I stayed with Jamie...by his side...to be of comfort. Believing he needed time to himself...to try to put what had occurred into some kind of perspective...I left him to his own thoughts.  He knew I would be within easy reach...be there for him...when he needed me.

A little while later Jamie came into my office.  By the time he’d rejoined me, I’d organized a flight south for him to link to a flight back to the States,  on the Saturday...same day/night we’d received the sad news.

Jim, the journalist from the “Townsville Bulletin”, offered to drive Jamie from Cardwell to Townsville airport. We decided to put our business meeting on hold to another time.  What had happened in Jamie's life was far more important.  Bob agreed to make a special, earlier trip back to the mainland taking both Jim and Jamie with him.

It was all systems go for the next couple of hours.

Jamie hurriedly threw together his belongings.  Brief, grief-stricken farewells were exchanged between him and his work-mates. His co-workers, all of whom had grown to love him... were very upset.  Daina was almost inconsolable.   We had lost a good friend, a fun member of our “family”; one who was genuinely a lovely young man in every way.

That evening the staff mingled together. A small party in Jamie's honour ensued. We toasted Jamie's future, and in his absence. We wished him well.

A couple of his co-workers - his mates - and I, received communications from Jamie a few times after he returned to the States, but, as life has a habit of interfering, contact was eventually lost...not the memories, though, of that I am certain...

I am sure Jamie went on to have a successful, happy life.  Always, I have wished him well.  Always, Jamie will have my gratitude for what he brought, not only to my life, but to those of his workmates, too.



19 comments:

  1. How sad about Jamie's Dad. You did an excellent job of quickly making arrangements for him to go home. He was lucky to have you there.

    I can certainly understand your anger at the inconsiderate man that had to be rescued! I hope he eventually understood that he not only risked his own life but the lives of others as well.

    I love the painting you did of Orchid Beach! You take care of yourself and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Bonnie...It was a very sad time for Jamie...everything happened so quickly after the tragic news came through. Time was of the essence.

      That idiot who took the little sailing craft out certainly copped a deserved tongue-lashing from me. The world is full of "them"...unfortunately.

      Thanks for coming by...I hope all is going well for you and Tom...keep taking good care. You have a great, relaxing weekend, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Echoing River and Bonnie's comments.
    How I wish common sense wasn't rarer than hen's teeth.
    You may have lost touch with Jamie, but I am sure he remembers his time in Australia fondly - thanks in large part to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, EC. Unfortunately, common sense is in short supply. I hope it comes back into fashion soon. I'm not holding my breath, though. That idiot was an arrogant up-start!

      I'm sure Jamie has never forgotten his time in Australia, too. It certainly was a special time for us who got to know him and spend time with him.

      Keep taking good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi River..."Idiots in boats"...that is for sure. He had no right to take it out in the first place.

    I'd love to know how Jamie is these days. Through the years, unfortunately, we lose track of many of the people we've met and liked...as I said...life gets in the way....and a large, wide ocean!

    Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:53 AM

    Eyes a bit wet, but that happens often to me. Sad that Jamie's father died at such a time, but it was a good story. I'm sure he remembers you well when he recounts his stay in Australia. Re River's comment, mostly men are sensible when driving, but oh, put them in a boat with mates, beer and fishing rods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:03 AM

    PS I really like your painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, re my painting, Andrew. I'm glad you like it. :)

      There was no beer or fishing rods involved, or mates...with that idiot who took the small sailing craft out...without permission.

      The little boat was even smaller than a Hobie Cat...if you're familiar with them. Also, there is a limit...laid down by Harbours & Marine, on how far out to sea such a small craft is allowed to go; and the distance is not very far from the shore. Also, it had no navigation lights etc.

      You will see by the pictures in my previous post how small the little boat was. At the moment, the name of the make has slipped my mind

      "Men & boats"....always reminds me of that old TV commercial! :)

      Take good care down your way...I hope all is well. Thanks for coming by. :)


      Delete
    2. PS...never mind about the tears...my eyes frequently suffer from the same malady! :)

      Delete
  6. Sad to read about Jamie's dads death, not good news at the time at all.
    I expect he would remember those people on the island including yourself.
    He sounds as if he's a wonderful person to know.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Margaret. Yes...that was a very sad day...a Saturday I will never forget. And, Jamie is someone I've never forgotten. He was a special young person. I know the island and all his mates thereon at that time still hold a special place in his heart.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. My heart aches for his loss, so sudden and with him so far away. Another reason to love and love and love while we have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi. Yes...for Jamie to have been so far from his home at the time of the sudden, unexpected loss of his father is unimaginable. His lengthy flight home...flying alone...must have been horrendous for him.

      Love is what is important...not who or what we love...but that we love...if that makes sense.

      Thanks for coming by....take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. What a touching story. Your group truly was a family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandra...they certainly were. A couple of bad apples, as always, infiltrated...but they didn't last long! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. I didn't you had painting amongst your many talents, Lee. Love your Orchid Beach scene. I hope young Jamie is a good story-teller as he would so many stories to tell about you and his time on the island, told with love and laughter. It's a shame common sense is not a bit more common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, I can't even construct a sentance. I meant I didn't know ... And he would have so many stories. My fingers can't keep up with my thoughts.

      Delete
    2. No need to apologise, Pauline! I have a similar problem...often! lol

      I keep my very questionable talents well-hidden! :) It's a while since I've done any painting or drawing.

      Hopefully, Jamie does still relate stories of his time here...it was special...for him...and for those who got to know him.

      Take good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I love the painting you did of Orchid Beach.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete