Tuesday, November 17, 2020

IT’S A QUOKKA...NOT A CROCK-A....!

 




Two Views of the Hinchinbrook Channel





Television commercials can be annoying and disruptive.  Some are downright stupid.

There are a couple of exceptions...for me, anyway.

I adore the TV commercial featuring the cocky little quokkas rocking out “Holding Out For A Zero” (a twist on Bonnie Tyler’s song, “Holding Out For a Hero”).

The ad stars Buddy, the Quokka, and his cheeky, happy band members. A far from drab Jerry the Crab is the rocker quokka band’s guitarist.  Having side sliding down pat, Jerry plucks a merry tune on his guitar. Whenever the ad comes on I cease doing whatever it is I’m doing just to watch the entertaining, cuddlesome chaps who always bring a smile to my face. 

Similar applies to the “Walk Like a Ram” RAMS’ ad.  The swaggering ram strutting his stuff, with his butt swaying in tune to the music, and a knowing smile on his face, has me under his spell.

 It’s no crock, the quokkas and the ram make my spirits soar.

One night, when I was manager of the then resort on World-Heritage-listed Hinchinbrook Island, national park rangers on the mainland caught a giant crocodile, the largest they’d ever seen.

In the darkness rangers and croc fought an all mighty battle in Meunga Creek, a creek 5kms north of Cardwell.  

After many hours grappling the angry, enormous croc the rangers were the victors in the protracted battle.

They christened the rapacious, aquatic monster, “Big Charlie”.  Having not given in without a fight, “Big Charlie” was minus a couple of teeth at war’s end.  His teeth were yanked out by the mesh nets used to trap him.  Once trapped, the rangers loaded the giant, carnivorous creature into a sturdy steel cage on the back of a truck. Cranky “Big Charlie” was transported to a wildlife farm outside of Port Douglas.

Bredl’s Reptile Park in Cardwell didn’t have ample room to house the monster.

Word came through “Big Charlie” had settled comfortably into his new home.  At first, his neighbours were wary of him. Eventually, when he spun yarns of his capture, they became “Big Charlie’s” captive audience.  His missing teeth didn’t cause a lisp, nor did they hamper his enjoyment of food.

That action-packed night was the talk of the region over the following few weeks...and months.

One of my island staff members had previously worked at Bredl’s Reptile Park in Cardwell.  “Skirt” aka Steve was handy to have on the island because he loved snakes.  He enjoyed being the island’s snake handler. With snakes he had an affinity.  A similar affinity I did not, and do not have. To be bluntly honest, I hate snakes.

“Skirt” willingly shared his vast knowledge about reptiles to interested, intrigued...and some fearful...resort guests. The snakes he caught he kept in secure wire cages up at the staff quarters.  Needless to say, “Skirt’s” co-workers weren’t keen on sharing a room with Skirt and his slithery mates.

After a short while, the snakes were transported across the ocean to the wildlife park in Cardwell where they were welcomed with open arms.  A fresh, live, healthy stock for venom-milking purposes was always necessary for the reptile park.  A very important service was being served.

Crocs in big numbers inhabit both the Hinchinbrook Channel, and the many meandering, mangrove-fringed waterways running from Missionary Bay through to the island’s interior. Advice to be heeded...it’s wise to stay aboard the boat when cruising, and/or fishing in those areas.  If you value your limbs wait until you get back home, or to your motel room before getting wet.

 I’m sure some of “Big Charlie’s” offspring and relatives are still lurking around the waterways. 

And that, my friends, ain’t no crock...but those long-snouted critters are crocs...and are not to be messed with!

 

Picnic Hamper Treats;

Watermelon-Cucumber Salad: Dressing: Combine 1/4c olive oil, 3tbs fresh lime juice, and a little salt; shake well.  Put 2c cubed watermelon, 1c sliced cucumber, ½c cubed feta, ½ avocado, cubed (toss avocado in lemon or lime juice to keep it from browning), 10 torn mint leaves in suitable container, Just before serving add 1/2c shelled pistachios; pour dressing over salad; toss gently.

Curried Chicken Wraps: Preheat oven 175C. Place 3 split (1-1/2 whole) chicken breasts, bone in, skin on oven tray; rub olive oil into skin; sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast 35-40mins, until chicken is just cooked. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard skin; shred chicken into pieces. Dressing...process until smooth, 1-1/2c sour cream (mayonnaise if you use it...I never use mayo...never have), 1/3c dry white wine, 1/4c chutney, 2tbs curry powder and 1-1/2tsp salt. Combine chicken with enough dressing to moisten well; add 1c medium-diced celery, 1/4c chopped shallots, white and green parts and 1/4c raisins; mix well. Chill a few hours; then add 1c roasted, salted, chopped cashews. Take 6 tortillas, fill centre of each with mixture; fold 2 sides over filling; roll from bottom to top; cut in half diagonally.

Blueberry Cake: Preheat oven 162C. Beat 2 egg yolks and 1/3c milk. Dredge 2c blueberries with flour to thinly coat. In bowl, sift together 2c plain flour, 5tsp baking powder and 1/2tsp salt; add 1c sugar, beaten yolk-milk and 2tbs melted butter. Beat well. In separate bowl, beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Add egg whites and blueberries to the flour. Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon to combine. The batter will look somewhat dry, but it will rise and become cake-like in the oven. Turn mixture into well-greased cake or loaf pan. Bake 45 mins, or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Let cake cool 15mins in pan, then transfer to wire rack. 

 

 



 

 

31 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen either of those ads. They were fun, but like so many others I think I would tire of them very quickly.
    I have never spend any time in crocodile areas - and would treat them with very real caution. I have lived in snake infested areas and they also have my very real respect. A red-bellied black lived under the front steps of one of our homes and for about nine months of the year I only used the back door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, EC...I've not yet grown tired of the ads...they never fail to bring a smile to my face. And, goodness, these days anything that is capable of doing that is most welcome! :)

      I despise snakes. They are definitely not my favourite creatures...and never will be. I've had a few run-ins with them...no fun in that!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care :)

      Delete
    2. This can be helpful...Before I began Doctor Aziba natural penis enlargement Product I measured 4 Inches in erect length, and 3 inches in erect girth. While flaccid I measured 3.4 Inches long. I began using his product, slightly skeptical I admit, and just 2 weeks later I was very happy with my progress. I measured 7.5 inches erect length and 6.5 inches erect girth, and 5.5 inches flaccid length. I was actually quite shocked at the huge gains I’d had, and continued using the product regularly, sticking to the usage schedule rigorously. After about 2-3 weeks I am 8.2 Inches in erect length and 8.1 Inches in erect girth. I am also 7.2 inches long while flaccid. This has had a huge impact on my life, not only has my sex life improved greatly, I feel much more confident and proud. Dr Aziba Natural Penis Enlargement works! and you can as well reach out to him on any of these cure for ALS, HPV, HSV, HIV, HERPES, Virginal Infection, Heart Burn, Cancer etc... You can Get in Contact with his via Email: (Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp him via contact +2348100368288 His the solution you've been searching !

      Delete
  2. Not into ads at all, if I have the TV on ads just pass me by, go over my head so to speak.
    Huge crocks I've seen too in my travels, it's amazing how large some of them are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...I'm not into most ads, either, but the ones I've mentioned above I do enjoy. I stream a lot which means no ads...and I do record when necessary so I just fast-forward through the ads in those instances.

      Crocs certainly are prehistoric creatures.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry Big Charlie lost a few teeth. I find some ads okay to begin with, but get very sick of hearing them over and over and over, sometimes two or three times within one ad break!
    Strict lockdown here in Adelaide now, from midnight tonight for six days, then further s=decisions will be made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...it was best Big Charlie lost some teeth in the net, and not in one of the rangers! He was a big fella!

      Take care during the troubling time down your way...I know you do...my best thoughts are with you.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Those ads must not run where I live but I can see why you like them. They are both happy ads and I love the "Walk Like a Ram" especially! I am so scared of snakes that I cannot even look at them. And as far as crocodiles go I prefer the ones in your last two pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie...They are fun ads...it was impossible for me not to enjoy them. I just love the swagger of that ram! lol

      I hate snakes...and as far as I am concerned the only good snake is a dead snake. Some may disagree with me...and that's okay...but I won't be a hypocrite and say I feel otherwise about them. I can't look at them, either...photos of them do not intrigue me whatsoever.

      Take good care you two...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Lately, I seldom watch TV. I'm rather busy with other things.
    Crocodiles and snakes are not "my cup of tea" even as seen in pictures.
    Your culinary creations, on the other hand, are always welcome. I like all your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, DUTA...I enjoy watching good series and movies...and as I live a very quiet, private life...I do quite a lot of viewing...and reading.

      I hope all is well with you and your loved ones...take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed the Quock advert. I'm not a fan of anything aquatic that wants to eat me whether it's a leech after my blood or a croc after the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think similarly, Graham re things that want to draw my blood. A damn little tick decided to latch itself to the back of my knee the other day, All I did was go out to the mailbox, and that's when it hitched a ride, leaving me scratching for the days after!

      The little quokkas are terrific! Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. Loved learning it's no crock about the crocs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Annie...I hope all is well up your way with you and yours. Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Oversized crocs. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes is the word! It applies to oversized snakes, too...and I've seen more than my fair share of those, Sandra!!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
    2. I could live just fine without seeing snakes of any size, let alone oversize:)

      Delete
    3. Me, too, Sandra re the snakes. I've seen more than my fair share of them. I do not want to see any more!

      Delete
  9. It’s time crocodiles were no longer a protected species. Perhaps a cull via hunting permits would be the go. There are too many of them up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Helsie...there sure are a lot of the monsters up there. To enter those waters is too risky as far as I am concerned. When I was living at Clifton Beach back in the late 80s, one was seen often hanging around the northern end, and around Palm Cove. It's not an uncommon occurrence these days, either

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Same with the alligators here. Leave them alone in the wild, go see them at the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, messymimi...there are far more congenial, pleasant creatures with whom I wish to mingle.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. First, Lee, thanks for your recent visit and comment on my lost show post. It is always amazing how many people seem to lose a single shoe and this one looked in decent shape too. The ads you showed in this post were amusing and yes to the second one with the ram. Like so many others have commented, I also do not watch TV except to stream videos or the public broadcasting channel, but I enjoyed a good smile today from your ads. And Charlie was a really big crock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice. I mostly stream...Netflix, Stan etc., etc. I also do record TV shows/series I want to see. I enjoy good series and movies...I enjoy good story lines and good acting...I always have, from when I was a child...attending Saturday afternoon matinees. In the days long before television. :)

      Thanks for coming by. Please don't be a stranger..take good care. :)

      Delete
  12. I don't know those ads, of course but I do think I recognize the last 2 photos. Could they be from the film, "The Rescuers Down Under"? Our son loved that film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Kay...the twoimages at the base are of Tick-Tock, the crocodile, Disney's creation featured in "Peter Pan".

      Thanks for coming by...I hope all is well with you and your clan. :)

      Delete
  13. I pick up a book when the ads come on but occasionally one will grab my attention and I admit I admire the creativity behind a really clever ad. Love your ram mate. When I was in far, far north Queensland a couple of years ago it seemed to me no-one cared about snakes any more (except me, I have a very healthy respect for them) but the world and his brother had to be reminded about crocodiles. The warning signs were everywhere, in English and German, at every beach, sometimes several signs on the one beach. And still tourists would walk right past the signs down to the water. Lots of temptations for Big Charlie's descendants. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Pauline. Many people think...believe...they are infallible...indestructible. They don't read signs, believing signs are not meant for them. Too often, by doing so, they not only put their own lives at risk, but the lives of others, too. Ignorance is not a worthy trait to have.

      Back in the late 80s, early 90s, a woman, Beryl Ruck, who lived up in the Daintree, an area that is well-known for its croc inhabitants....more crocodiles than people live up there in the Daintree Rainforest....at around midnight on New Year's Eve she decided to go for a swim in the Daintree River! She didn't live to enjoy the New Year!

      The ram is a cocky bloke! lol

      Thanks for coming by. Take care. :)

      She should have known better.

      Delete
  14. We do not watch very much TV, and when we do I always pop out to the kitchen and make a cuppa when the adverts come on.
    I think the blueberry cake would go nice with a cup of tea :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. This can be helpful...Before I began Doctor Aziba natural penis enlargement Product I measured 4 Inches in erect length, and 3 inches in erect girth. While flaccid I measured 3.4 Inches long. I began using his product, slightly skeptical I admit, and just 2 weeks later I was very happy with my progress. I measured 7.5 inches erect length and 6.5 inches erect girth, and 5.5 inches flaccid length. I was actually quite shocked at the huge gains I’d had, and continued using the product regularly, sticking to the usage schedule rigorously. After about 2-3 weeks I am 8.2 Inches in erect length and 8.1 Inches in erect girth. I am also 7.2 inches long while flaccid. This has had a huge impact on my life, not only has my sex life improved greatly, I feel much more confident and proud. Dr Aziba Natural Penis Enlargement works! and you can as well reach out to him on any of these cure for ALS, HPV, HSV, HIV, HERPES, Virginal Infection, Heart Burn, Cancer etc... You can Get in Contact with his via Email: (Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp him via contact +2348100368288 His the solution you've been searching !

    ReplyDelete