Saturday, January 01, 2022

KNOCK! KNOCK! GUESS WHO!






 


 

Yep!  It’s me! Here I am again! I’m kind of like the proverbial bad penny, aren’t I? I keep turning up…you can’t get rid of me.  I can’t take a hint!  On top of that, a New Year arrived while we were off doing whatever it was we were doing over the past few weeks. 

I guess, for some, 2022 arrived with not as much fanfare as previous years. Whether accompanied by a fanfare of fireworks, whistles, streamers, and all the “carry-on”, or not, arrive 2022 did.  No doubt it has come with a multitude of surprises up its sleeves.  I hope we’re prepared.  I hope the surprises are pleasant surprises; none of the other kind.  We’ve had more than our fair share of them. 

It’s time for good news.  Like everyone else, I’m weary of the constant gloom and doom.

 My New Year’s Eve celebrations were non-existent, by choice.  Even when I was at my high-kicking best, I preferred to see the New Year in quietly, aside, away from the madding crowd; alone, lost within my reverie; apart from the boisterous revelry. All the tearing around kissing and hugging strangers shortly after the stroke of midnight never floated my boat, whether at sea, or on land.  To me, the behaviour has always seemed false. 

2021 was memorable, of that there is no doubt.  In many instances the year left its mark where a mark was not needed nor wanted. 

On reflection, during the past year, I only struck two rude people…figuratively speaking, not literally, of course.  Deserving a medal, I displayed self-control, realising they weren’t worthy of my time, or energy. Rudeness is not called for, anywhere, anytime, by anyone, towards another, or others. Such unpleasantness displays an over-inflated ego; a false belief in one’s own importance. My hope is boorishness directed at our front-line folk…rudeness towards those serving the public, in all areas; in every field…ceases in 2022. Those who believe it’s clever to be rude to others should make a New Year’s resolution; one that resolves to erase such ugly, ignorant, crude behaviour from their playbook.  

Tuesday evening prior to Christmas Day I attended the annual Christmas party hosted by my landlords up at their home.  As in previous years, it was a fun evening spent with nice folk, all of whom were spread out in the long, wide verandah surrounding two-thirds of the home. Most of those in attendance I only meet up with once a year.  And, each year my memory skills are put to test remembering their names!  

Such a social gadabout, I’m not!  The truth is, I shouldn’t be allowed after the sun has set.  No doubt there are some who would venture to say I shouldn’t be allowed out at any time of the day or night.  I’ll curtail my movements in 2022, and only venture as far as my letter box. 

On the Monday after Boxing Day I did step over the line, once again, getting my passport checked before doing so.

 Friends of mine from Townsville (North Queensland) and I, along with their beautiful, friendly little Frenchie named, “Rosie”, enjoyed a joyful interlude at Mountain Brew, a local café, which allows animals of the four-legged variety, as well as those of the two-legged variety.

During the mid-to-late 80s when I managed the then Hinchinbrook Island resort, and when the husband was a single, young lad-about-town (or island), he was my chef.  He prepared many delicious meals for our guests, and for his co-workers. To this day his joie de vivre remains; and, remain a good friend, he always will.

My Festive Season, other than the party mentioned above, and my sojourn at Mountain Brew, was otherwise spent quietly with my two furry besties, both of whom held court while I did crosswords, read, binged on tasty treats (as did they,) and on a series of favourite series (so did they).  I decided it was justified to watch “Justified”, again; and I’ve not been disappointed.   

I spent a lot of time over the kitchen sink, too…devouring mangoes….the only way to eat mangoes, in my opinion.

Sleeping was also on our agenda.  We fulfilled each activity to the best of our ability.  Our performances merited top scores for perfection.

The other day a friend told me she attended a rather raucous “knees up, Mother Brown” New Year’s Eve shindig.  At evening’s end, knowing she’d had more than a few cocktails too many, she took a cab home.  On the way home she passed a police checkpoint, but being a cab, the cops waved it past.  My friend arrived home safely without incident, which was a surprise as she’d never drive a cab before, and was not sure what to do with it.  The cab is still in her garage.  

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR…ALL THE VERY BEST FOR 2022!  May happiness and good health fill your days and nights…..

 

Corn Fritters:  Mix 2c corn (drained canned, or fresh off cobs) ½ flour, 1 egg, 1/2c grated cheddar cheese, 1/4c cream cheese, 2 diced jalapenos, 2 crumbled cooked bacon rashers, 1tsp smoked paprika, 1tsp ground coriander, 2 sliced shallots stalks (or small diced onion), and juice and zest of lime or lemon.  Heat 2tbs olive oil in pan; for 1/4c patties; cook until golden on both sides.

Avocado Pasta Salad: Cook 500g penne pasta; drain; run cold water over it to cool it. Meanwhile cook 4 bacon rashers; drain and cool before crumbling. Combine 1 large avocado, diced, 1c diced tomato and Creamy Guacamole Dressing…Puree until,1 medium avo, 1 small jalapeno (remove seeds for less heat), 1/2c coriander, juice of 1 lime or lemon, 1 small white onion, 1 garlic clove, 2/4c buttermilk 1/4c Greek yoghurt (or mayo, if preferred.  I never use mayonnaise), 1/2tsp cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Store in fridge; it lasts a couple of days.  

Easy Mango Mousse:  Cut 2 large ripe mangoes into cubes.  Place mango, 450g Greek yoghurt and 40g condensed milk in blender; blend until smooth.  Pour into individual serving bowls, or into dish/bowl; chill at least 4hrs, or overnight.  

 


 

26 comments:

  1. The New Year knows her way in, and doesn't need me to wait up for her. So I don't.
    A very happy and peaceful New Year to you and your besties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own, EC. As I said above, I don't go tearing around the place, letting my hair down...but, see the New Year in, I did...just me, my two furry bed-mates, the three of us forgetting to say "White Rabbits" while quietly pondering what the next 12 months has in store. I shut everything down around 12.30 am. As we three were already in bed, we didn't have far to go! :)

      Let's hope it is a better year for everyone. My best wishes to you, too...take good care of yourself.

      Delete
  2. You are a silver dollar rather than a bad penny. We too had a quiet New Year, as we always do, and were sound asleep before the stroke of midnight. All the best for 2022, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you, David. Your words kick-started my New Year off with a smile! :)

      I was justifiably bingeing on my all-time favourite series, "Justified"...and shut everything thing down around about 12.30 am.

      My best wishes to you and your family for the coming year...take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. We welcome the new year, each in his own way, with hope that it will bring us no bad surprises.
    I like mango, but seldom eat it or use it because of its excessive sweetness and juiciness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, DUTA...Yes, that we do...welcoming the new year in, in our own personal way...whichever, whatever suits the individual. Quietly is my choice. I had my fill of the "partying by the madding crowds" in the past when working in the hospitality industry.

      Take good care. I hope 2022 treats you well. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. My Hogmanay sounds as raucous as yours. I'm still chuckling at your friend "with the cab in her garage".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Graham...What wild Hgmanay you and I had! We will have to curtail our wild, out of control behaviour, laddie!!! We'll have to put our dancing shoes away! :)

      I hope you're feeling a lot better...and, if so, the status quo remains. Take good care...my best wishes to you for the coming year and beyond. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. More like a 'lucky penny'. Best wishes for the coming year, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Lee...great to "see" you, as always. I hope all is well with you, and remains that way. May the coming year and those beyond treat you kindly. Take good care. Thanks for coming by...and thanks for the memories. :)

      Delete
  6. Heeheehee! The cab in the garage is still making me giggle.

    A blessed and beautiful Happy New Year to you and your two furry mates. You are awesome as far as i am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, messymimi...you are very kind. Thank you. :)

      I couldn't resist posting the joke...It's a beauty! lol

      Let's hope 2022 is a far better year than the past couple have been. We've had enough of all the bad stuff I reckon!

      Take good care...may 2022 treat you and your loved ones kindly in every way. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I love corn fritters:)
    Hope 2022 is filled with happiness and good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...I love fritters, too. I've not made them for a while, though. I think I'll have to rectify that situation!

      May 2022 treat your and your loved ones kindly, too. Take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. OMG! "The cab is still in her garage" I wasn't expecting that line!
    I hope 2022 sees the virus finally fizzling out and becoming just a memory of what once was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, River! It's a good joke, isn't it? I just had to include it in my post! :)

      I think, like all the rest of the viruses...measles, chicken pox, mumps, etc., we will learn to live with Covid. It, like the others, will stick around, we just have to make ourselves strong enough not to be affected by it; not to become its victim. Diet, vaccinations etc., will help us be the conquerors.

      All the very best for 2022, River...take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. You had me chuckling over that last paragraph, Lee, and it was indeed a good joke to start off 2022. We also had a very quiet year-end celebration spent entirely at home. A couple we have been socializing with regularly for dominoes came to our apt. We snacked on appetizers and played and they were gone before 9 pm and we were off to read in bed and asleep before 10 pm, a perfect on-celebration. Yours sounded like a nice get together among friends and who can remember everyone's names every once a year?
    I agree that the world will need to learn to live with covid as it has the flu, pneumonia, and other illnesses. Life cannot and should not shut down completely. Vaccinations and boosters and taking care of ourselves should become primary, not fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice. I love that joke and couldn't resist posting it here.

      The pre-Christmas gathering I attended will probably be last of its kind I'll be attending until the next pre-Christmas party at the end of this yeas! I will have to curtail my partying ways! lol

      I think there is one word we're all sick of hearing...and I've no need to say which one it is, I'm sure! :)

      All the best to you and your loved ones for 2022. Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I always get energy from how others celebrate and welcome the new year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tablor...as long as they are far away from me, and leave me alone, I care not what they do. Each to their own...and I keep to my own self. :)

      All the very best for the new year...take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. We had a quiet New Years Eve, just the way we like it :)

    The mango mousse looks good.

    Have a happy and healthy 2022, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiet is good, Jan. I had little to celebrate...another day...another year, bringing with it a pile of unknowns, no doubt. But, one has to stay positive, or try one's best to do so. Don't let the bastards win! :)

      I wish you all the very best for 2022...may the year treat you well in every way. Take care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Lee, You've reminded me that I haven't seen a mango this summer. My son sent me two videos, one of his 18th month old having her first taste of mango which was nicely cut into tiny squares for her little fingers to pick up. The second was her face disappearing into a whole mango, juice down her chin and chest - and the smile was a treat to see. I agree, that's the only way to eat a mango. Happy New Year to you and your buddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Pauline. I meant to purchase a couple of mangoes when I was at the supermarket yesterday...and forgot to do so! I will have to get some at my next visit. My kitchen sink and I am ready for the attack! :)

      The image of your little granddaughter devouring her second mango made me laugh!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. All the best for 2022. :)

      Delete
  13. Happy 2022 to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Stranger! All the very best to you, too, Kay. I hope 2022 treats you and your loved ones most kindly.

    Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete