Saturday, July 30, 2022

PICK ME! PICK ME! CHOOSE ME! PICK ME!

 


 


 



For decades grocery shoppers have been spoiled by choice.  Over the years supermarket shelves have grown longer, wider and higher.  Shelves are stacked to the hilt with myriad choices…unlimited choices.  If what you want isn’t available, be adventurous, choose something else…there is always something else on offer. Don’t stand around like a tantrum-throwing petulant child.  Another choice might be preferable.  We’re not going to starve, not in this country!

Giving my age away…which worries me not…I remember when the first supermarket opened in my old hometown of Gympie.  Until then, small, family-owned corner stores were the grocery-shopping choices.  Stand-alone butcher shops were dotted throughout the town.  At the time, Lane & Ward, Gerard & Sullivan, and Nolan Bros. were the three butcher companies.  Each had about two stores with their names above the doors selling their wares.

Upon the arrival of BCC supermarket akak Brisbane Cash & Carry, the major concern of the kids was the variety of lollies on offer in the long glass-covered counters at the entrances of Woolies and Penneys would remain.  We kids certainly weren’t overlooked when it came to lollies!  

There, at the entrances of Woolies and Penneys (Penneys opened in October 1931. The store in Nambour, a rural town in the Sunshine Coast region of Queensland was the 1st Penneys chain store in Australia.  By 1956 the chain had expanded to 40 stores.  Penneys closed in 1959 to reopen as Coles) while ogling the array, we kids were spoiled by choice.

With our pocket money clasped tightly in our hands we pondered, as we decided what to pick…Aniseed Balls, Liquorice Allsorts, Golden Malts, Minties (must-haves on a journey), Fantails, Jaffas, Jelly Beans, multi-coloured boiled lollies, strips of Liquorice, green and white Peppermint Balls, Musks (no relation of that Elon bloke).  Our choices were varied and vast. After all, we needed to build up our energy and strength to climb the trees and play in our tree houses, packets of lollies clasped firmly so as not to drop them.

For years Arnott’s Jatz Crackers were about the only savoury crackers available on the market. Sao biscuits had been our savoury stand-bys, as well.  To our delight, our mother was inventive at topping Saos and Jatz crackers with delicious, tasty toppings. It’d be pretty messy putting the toppings beneath the crackers.  By doing the latter, the toppings would be called “beneaths”, I guess. I do digress. 

Once upon a time the only breakfast cereals we had to choose from were, Weetbix, Cornflakes, Rice Bubbles and Rolled Oats. Muesli wasn’t heard of, nor was Granola! These days cereal shelves are 10 miles long and 100 feet high!  With so many to choose from, even serial shoppers get lost amongst the cereals!

In my recollection, when I was a kid the only laundry powders available were Persil and Rinso.  Later on down the track, circa 1959, Surf hit our fair shores.  Of course, a few bars of Sunlight soap were always close by for those times when elbow grease was needed.

If I’d been allowed my choice when I was a kid I would’ve had a horse, but Mum and Nana believed it not to be a good idea.  Our neighbours would’ve agreed. The young Elizabeth Taylor’s “National Velvet”, Anna Sewell’s beautiful “Black Beauty”, “My Friend, Flicka” et al heightened my admiration for the exquisite equine creatures. I adored Gene Autry’s magnificent palomino, “Champion”, and all Saturday matinee western movies.

My love of horses was my Nana’s fault.  Nana’s exciting tales about her childhood, about the horses she owned and rode, held my interest, and fed my desire.  I could never get enough of her stories about the “olden days”.  Of course, in my Nana’s day, there were only a few choices in how to get about. Choices such as, go by buggy, horseback, or by shank’s pony.

The only time I’ve ridden a horse (“ridden” used extremely loosely) was when a friend and I decided to give bare-back riding a go. We were about 11 or 12 years old at the time.  I’ve told this tale previously.

The horse was minding its own business, grazing aimlessly in a local Gympie park.  The beautiful grey animal wasn’t impressed by our attention. After climbing aboard, it began to canter. We ended up under the horse’s belly, and then on the ground, with only our pride injured. The young grey mare sniggered and trotted away without a backward glance. 

That day my horse-riding career began and ended abruptly, I didn’t have any other choice. I still love horses even now when I’m an old grey nag….

 

Savoury Oats: In large non-stick pan, heat about 2tbs x-virgin olive oil. Add 1x455g sweet potato, chopped into ½-inch cubes and 1 chopped onion; season. Cook over med-high heat 5 mins, tossing occasionally. Cover and allow to cook another 5-7 mins or until tender. Meanwhile, cook 1c oatmeal in 2c boiling water for about 5mins; season. Fry or poach 4 eggs to your liking.. Assemble the savory oats bowls. Spoon some cooked oats in bowl; add in the sweet potatoes, cubed avocado, and cooked egg. Finish with a handful of halved cherry tomatoes, parsley, crumbled feta, and a sprinkle of seasoning of your choice. Serve.

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Muffins: Preheat oven 190C. Spray 12-cup muffin pan. Heat 2tsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the3/4c diced red capsicum and 250g diced chicken  or pork sausages. Cook 3-4 mins until capsicum starts to soften and sausage is browned. Stir in ⅓ cup of sliced shallot stems. Remove from heat. Whisk 3/4c gluten-free quick cooking oats, 1-1/4c gluten-free flour, 1tbs baking powder 1tsp salt, 1-1/2tsp garlic powder, and 3/4tsp thyme together.  Stir in sausage mixture and 1 heaped cup grated cheddar cheese.  Whisk 2 large eggs, 1c milk and 3tbs melted butter together in a bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients; stir until just combined. Spoon batter into muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Sprinkle tops with sliced shallots and grated cheese.  Bake in centre of oven, 16-18mins, until puffed and cooked through.  Remove from oven; cool on rack before serving. 

 

20 comments:

  1. I think we have too many choices. Many of them packed with artificial colours and flavours. And yes I can eschew rather than chew those choices. And I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That we do, EC...that we do. And, I agree re artificial colours etc.

    Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The supermarkets have taken over, and the choice of products is big.
    However, in my country, we've entered now a period of high prices and shortage of products usually imported from east Europe (it might have to do with the war in Ukraine, and the fear of neighboring countries to export food. The heat is not helping with the crops either).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...prices in some products have increased here, too...and shortages in some items, but our choices are still vast. We're not going to starve. There is much, still, from which to choose. Plus people grow, and can grow, their own vegetables if they choose to take the time and effort to do so. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. I agree we have too many choices and the quality isn't as good as it used to be either. Weetbix used to have flavour, at least a little, now they are tasteless, smaller and far less tightly packed. I remember when the top of my fridge held boxes of cereals, always weetbix, rice bubbles and cornflakes, so my kids could make their own breakfast choices. They weren't fans of the porridge I preferred. Then Nutri-Grain got added, which was the boys after school snack choice. I remember Surf washing powder, after mum left us, Dad didn't bother with kitchen detergent, just dissolved a bit of Surf in the hot water and washed up the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...I live very simply and very humbly these days. My needs are few. I will never go hungry. We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, but we always had food in the cupboards and on our dinner table. We never went hungry. Old habits last. As long as I have enough food for my two furry mates, I'm happy. Just look at the shelves in our supermarkets...there is enough for everyone.

      I wasn't overly fond of porridge when I was a kid, either! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. Your memory is amazing, Lee. I remember all those things when prompted but not otherwise. Like you, my needs these days are simple and I look upon most of the items in the overstacked supermarket aisles as just stuff that gets in the way of me finding what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! So true re the "stuff that gets in the way.." Pauline!!

      I do have a good memory..too good sometimes, I think! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. We are close in age as your memories brought back similar memories of my youth. I used to walk down the mountside to the highway where a mom and pop grocery store had shelves of penny candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The Age of Innocence...I'm glad I am of the generation I am, Tabor. A friend and I, only moments ago, were chatting, and that was one of our topics of conversation. I'm not fond of today's world...of the behaviour of humans throughout the world. I may be sounding like an old fogy (I am an old fogy), but respect, for one thing, is lacking....commonsense, too.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. We were blessed with riding lessons at summer camp, and i've always loved horses and been a little afraid of them at the same time.

    Grandpa's mother owned one of those local stores. She's the one who taught me how to bag groceries correctly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, messymimi. I wanted to join the local Pony Club when I was a kid, but we couldn't afford it. Such was life. :) Horses are magnificent creatures.

      The correct packing of groceries, is very important, I reckon.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. Good memories there Lee. I remember the corner shop where you had to go buy food and the man behind the counter got it all for you from his shelves...long time ago..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Those days are a long while ago, Margaret, but they remain clear in my mind. My brother and I used to take the newspapers and empty soft drink bottles back to the shops...and receive money in return...which became our pocket money. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. Sometimes I think big brands will push their own varieties so that other companies get shut out. At least at our local Meijer, down the cookie aisle I see so many varieties of Oreos that there isn't room for other brands. JC Penney's is my go-to store for clothes. The chain isn't doing that well though and I'm fearing the day they close their local store. If you're an aficionado of horses from the big and small screens, here's a trivia question for you (I entered a trivia contest in college with this question). Everyone knows that the Lone Ranger's horse's name was Silver. What name was Tonto's horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Scout" was Tonto's horse. That was a question on "The Chase" the other day...or I heard it somewhere not that long ago. :)

      I loved the fact that Gene Autry rarely lost his hat when he had a fight, and he never got dirty during his many fights, rolling down hillsides! lol

      Yes, I've noticed that about Oreos, too. Here's an odd fact...I have never had an Oreo. I've bought many packets through the years to give away to others, but I've not tried one myself. I keep intending to buy a pack for me...and I might just do that this morning...I'm about to head off to the supermarket now.

      Thanks for coming by, Dave...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. Like others have commented, Lee, this was a fun post and I was impressed at your memory of grocery shopping when you were younger. I can honestly say that I have no recollections of being in a grocery store with my mother. Either my memory is going or more likely she did it all on her own, which even more puzzling. Seeing the vintage product ads was a trip down memory lane. Oatmeal has always been a favorite of mine, especially in oatmeal-raisin cookies😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice...My now late brother and I very often went shopping with Mum and Nana (with both, and sometimes just with one of them)...and often my brother and I ran errands to the shop and/or to the butcher shop on their behalf as well. We walked everywhere. We never had a car...so by foot it was. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. Many thanks for sharing your memories.
    Looking back I always enjoyed shopping with my mum, we always used to see people we knew and as well as getting the shopping it was great to chat with friends. The only thing was we were probably our all morning and half of it was spent talking ... LOL :)

    Thanks for sharing the recipes.

    Hope you are doing ok, here in the UK our weather is getting too hot!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan....when we were kids having to shuffle from foot to foot while the adults talked was a pain! lol So many memories....

      It's pretty chilly down this way at present. Winter still has a couple of weeks to go...and then all too soon we'll be complaining about the heat.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete