Sunday, November 20, 2022

LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT....

                                                           

 



 



 



 

The other night while watching the TV series “Blue Bloods”, which is not only a cop show, but tells the story of a close-knit family, I wondered if many families these days dine together; or are the kids and parents too busy with their heads buried in various devices.

When my now late brother and I were little, meal times were important, and were always spent at the table.  Sunday lunches, after we’d been to Sunday school, were major events. Dining together, at the table, might, to some, seem to be a little thing, but it’s not.  It’s very important. Doing so is necessary in the development of children; of their mind and their behaviour.

A while back I had difficulty working out how to operate an air pump to inflate my deflated car tyres. I muttered a few appropriate words. Fouling the atmosphere didn’t solve the problem, so I threw my hands in the air. My hands are attached to my arms, and didn’t come to grief.  

Fortunately, Sir Galahad, disguised as a fuel tank driver, came to the rescue of this old dame in distress.  In swashbuckling style he leapt from his trusty steed aka tanker.  The thoughtful gent approached, offering his assistance.  Accepting his considerate offer, I felt less of an idiot when he, too, at first, had difficulties operating the damn pump; but with the patience of Job he got the job done. His help meant a lot.  His kindness was no little thing.  I’d still be there doing battle with the pump, with hot air floating around everywhere, but into my car tyres!

The same morning of the above adventure more unexpected drama unfolded.  

When I was pushing my loaded trolley towards where my car was parked, my Iced Coffee Milk ‘bottle’ decided to leap free from the trolley.  As it began to roll downhill, my spontaneous, swift reaction surprised even me. Somehow, I managed to block its escape with my foot. The next problem I faced was stopping the errant trolley from rattling off with my purchases, crashing into, and destroying other cars on its way. The trolley was doing its best to skedaddle.  

A second complication I had to conquer was being able to bend down to pick the renegade milk coffee up off the ground without my falling head over turkey, thereby making a real goose out of myself.

Struggling to not fall over, similar words to those muttered under my breath a little while earlier were mumbled in the middle of IGA’s car park.  A young woman who had begun to pull out from her parking bay, turned off her car motor; got out of her car, and rushed to my aid, just as I, ungracefully, with a firm grip on the delinquent trolley, managed to pick up the milk. A major calamity was avoided. 

The young lady’s thoughtful gesture meant a lot to me, too.  There are many nice folk around.  I met a couple of them that morning. Both might have thought their actions meant little, but, to me, they meant a lot.

A spoonful of Crunchy Peanut Paste, aka “Peanut Butter”, is a little pleasure that means a lot to me.  I love digging deep into a jar of Crunchy Peanut Paste, and often do. Not a very lady-like habit, I know, but I won’t be gracing Buckingham Castle’s dining tables anytime soon. However, don’t knock it until you try it!  Forget the spoonful of sugar….apologies to Mary Poppins…a spoonful of crunchy peanut paste all the way every day!

Frequent serenades at my screen door by my neighbours, Mr and Mrs Magpie, and their kids, as well as the Butcherbirds might seem minor, but to me, their joyful presence means a lot.

Small gestures of kindness; a smile; encouraging words; taking time to listen, to understand; shared laughter…thoughtful behaviour is welcome, always, amidst the daily turmoil…genuine expressions of goodwill.  Little things do mean a lot.  Generosity of spirit…to quote Anne Frank; No one has ever become poor by giving.”

Crispy Peanut Paste Biscuits: Preheat oven, 177C.  Combine 3/4c Crunchy Peanut Paste, 1/2c unsalted soft butter, 1/2c brown sugar and 1/2c sugar. Cream, about 4mins, scraping down sides; add 1 egg and 1tbs vanilla; beat well; add 1/4tsp salt, 1-1/2c plain flour and 1tsp baking soda. Mix at low speed until flour is worked in. Up mixer speed to full for last 2secs. Scoop about 28g of mixture onto paper-lined baking sheet. With a fork, tap on some of the dough left in bowl to moisten; dip in sugar; create crosshatch pattern on biscuits, tamping fork in sugar after each press. Bake 12-14mins, just until top and edges begin to turn golden. 

 Crispy Peanut Balls: Put 1/2c Peanut Paste (crunchy or smooth) in bowl; stir to loosen. Stir in 1/4c maple syrup. Add 1c rolled oats, 1/4c desiccated coconut, 1tbs chia seeds, 1-1/2tbs unsweetened cacao powder and pinch of salt. Stir until combined. Pick up small chunks of dough; roll between your palms to form balls; gently press dough together to compress it.  Place in air-tight container; store at room temp for up to a week.

 Easy 3-Ingredient Chrissy Cake: Combine 1kg mixed dried fruit and 600ml iced coffee flavoured milk in bowl. Cover and place in fridge overnight to soak.  Remove bowl from fridge; set aside 30mins to come to room temp.  Preheat oven 180C/160C fan. Grease a 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper. Stir 300g S.R. flour into fruit mixture until just combined. Pour into pan. Smooth surface. Bake 1hr 30mins or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Set aside in pan 3mins to cool slightly before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.   

 

 

25 comments:

  1. Crunchy peanut paste is a delight, and so are helpful, kind people. I am glad you didn't end up losing either the coffee or the trolley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, re the milk and the trolley, messymimi! And I arrived back home without further disasters! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care.

      Delete
  2. I used to love crunchy peanut paste until I lost too many teeth. I'm working on getting replacements of the plastic kind and then I'll have the delights of crunching again. I may even eat real peanuts again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River...I still love it and am able to eat it, even when I've not got my teeth in! lol And I do love home-cooked roasted and boiled peanuts. I must do some again soon. It's been a while.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Good job it wasn’t the eggs that went rolling across the car park….with the temperatures you’re getting up there they’d have been cooked
    After all these years of coming north we had boiled peanuts for the first time this year. Different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only had a couple or so hot days here where I live, Cathy. The Mountain is always a few degrees cooler than it is in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, and the areas in the valley below to the west of this plateau.

      I love boiled peanuts since I was a kid. My brother and I used to buy them at a local little shop, the owners of which boiled and roasted their own peanuts.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. The runaway trolley, what a bummer. Glad all is well now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to stop the trolley from running away, Margaret. I sure didn't want it to escape my clutches! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. You had me with the peanut butter - but I love the smooth. What a nice lady who stopped to help you - made you feel a little better about the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to the supermarket in a few minutes...and a jar of Peanut Paste...crunchy...is on my list! :)

      Take good care, Sandra...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Right you are - little things mean a lot, and they are not even so little. Any kind of help, especially to a senior lady in distress is a huge thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...one gets so much more pleasure out of being nice to others, and vice versa. If only everyone throughout the world remembered that!

      Thanks for coming by....take good care. :)

      Delete
    2. Omg! Sounds like you had a right time of things!! Bless both your guardian Angels!
      hughugs
      Donna

      Delete
    3. There's nothing quite like having a bit of fun in the supermarket's ca rpark, Donna! lol

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I crave fatty, salty and sweet foods this time of year and work hard at not eating too much. Kindness is always lifesaving in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I have a good supply of fruit on hand, I'm happy. I love fruit, and always start my days off with freshly-juiced oranges and lemons. I don't mind a few sweet treats, either! :)

      Thanks for coming by, Tabor...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. It doesn't cost anything to be kind and it means so much.
    Little things do mean a lot :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do, Jan. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care.

      Delete
  9. I always ponder the BLUE BLOODS Sunday dinner at home. Our family ate every dinner at home around the table. Sadly I was unable to maintain that tradition as a single working mother. Now about that peanut butter! There is nothing better for a protein snack than a tablespoon full of peanut butter to sit and lick just like you would ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A girl after my own heart, Annie...re the peanut paste/butter! lol

      Living alone for many years now, I haven't sat at the dinner table in many years! I talk to myself enough as it is!!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. My wife is a big Blue Bloods fan and never misses an episode. I think I read somewhere that star Tom Selleck insisted upon the dinner scene being included as it reminded him of his own family. Our family, both as I was growing up and when we were raising our own two boys, always had dinner together. I do get a kick out of my youngest brother who, when he was old enough, asked what we were having for dinner that night. If he didn't like what was being prepared, he would say that he was heading to McDonalds instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, never miss an episode of "Blue Bloods", Dave. I like the series, and the characters.

      We always ate what was put in front of us...being told often that Mum and Nana weren't running a hotel! :)

      Take good care, thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Lee, I've been suffering with vertigo lately so have been a bit unsteady on my feet. I've been really impressed by how many kind and caring people there are around, I seem to find helping angels everywhere I go. Good to hear there were some there for you in your hour(s) of need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be suffering a bit of vertigo of late, too, Pauline. Have been feeling a bit wonky, so am taking things easy. I hope you continue doing so, too.

      The kindness of others certainly does warm one's heart, and restores one's faith in others.

      Thanks for coming by...and do take good care. :)

      Delete
  12. Regretfully, I seem to have once again fallen behind in blog commenting, Lee, and thought I had done so earlier, but sadly did not. The kindness of strangers is indeed wonderful and unfortunately we hear more about the unkind ones more often. Glad the tire was inflated and the milk rescued. Eating peanut butter straight from the jar is a favorite here too.

    ReplyDelete