Sunday, September 17, 2023

ANIMAL KINGDOM

 

Eungella-Pioneer Valley, West of Mackay




Mr. B and Lady...Two of the wallaby residents of Hinchinbrook Island Resort

                                      
Kangaroos on the beach at Cape Hillsborough





“They behaved like animals”…the oft stated statement describing the misconduct of some homo sapiens/humans is way off base.  It’s insulting to animals. “Homo sapiens” means “wise man”.  However, there’s nothing wise about misbehaving humans. 

Through the years, since I was a small child, countless special, memorable, cherished moments I’ve spent with animals.

An exceptional occasion occurred in early 1998 when I was living in Mackay. As an escape, if only for a few hours, often on Sunday mornings I visited Eungella National Park up on the Clarke Range at the end of the Pioneer Valley, 80kms west of Mackay.  One morning, while sitting on the banks of a gently flowing stream in quite reverie absorbing the beauty and atmosphere of my surrounds, without warning, to my surprise, and utter wonderment, a platypus appeared before me.  I dared not move an inch…not a finger, nor toe. Transfixed, I watched the magnificent, unique little creature.  As one in a peaceful, magical world of our own, the Ornithorhynchus anatinus watched me in return, not at all concerned by my presence, nor I by its.

On Newry Island I lived alone.  Holiday-makers visited, of course.  Even when there were no resort guests, in truth, I was never really alone because my beloved furry companions, Pushkin and Rimsky, shared the island ambience with me.  Other inhabitants of our water-surrounded corner of the world were koalas, echidnas, possums, eastern grey kangaroos, wallabies, gliders, white tailed bush rats and marsupial bush rats.  Much to my two furry mates’ delight the possums frequently used the awning out from “our” upstairs’ quarters as their evening playground. Pushkin and Rimsky never bothered the native fauna, and vice versa applied.  All were good mates from a respectful distance.  

My other island paradise, Hinchinbrook Island, was a wallaby haven. There were no larger-in-size kangaroos on Hinchinbrook.  The wallabies claimed the island as their own, ensuring no guests arrived, or left, not understanding the fact.  Randy Mr. B, the lead wallaby, had no shame. Mr. B frequently made unwelcome, amorous advances towards Flowerpot and Granny, two of his female neighbours.  He didn’t care if his unwanted approaches towards the ladies were in front of blushing guests or not. 

I never thought I’d rue visiting Cape Hillsborough Nature Tourist Park Resort, but one Sunday I almost did. At leisure, a friend and I were enjoying morning coffees out on the ground-level deck.  When my friend started spluttering I thought she was choking on her scone (of the baked variety, not her head).  My arm was hanging over the back of my chair. I felt something tugging at one of my fingers. Turning, I received the shock of my life.  A large kangaroo buck was doing his best to steal the ring off my finger!  The roo almost caused me to rue my visit, but, instead, I laughed, and shoo-ed him off.  Giving me a rueful look, “Skippy” signaled to his mates who’d been standing by witnessing the failed heist. Away the mob hopped, giggling, no doubt in search of other unsuspecting victims.

As I exited the amenities block at the Emu Park Caravan Park, a group of inquisitive emus, without forewarning, greeted me. Their presence certainly wasn’t what I expected during my visit to the Capricorn Coast.

A few years later, while driving a little Suzuki four-wheeler along the bush track between Collinsville and Glenden, another shock was in store for me. Lost in a world of my own, driving around a bend, I almost leapt out of the car when I came eye to eye with an emu at my driver’s side window. I’m not sure who was most startled, the emu or me. By the look on his face, it was clearly apparent, the emu, like me, wasn’t expecting company on the desolate country track. Old Man Emu tossed me a final shocked look; one that matched my own. Not taking a backward glance, with his long legs barely touching the ground, he rapidly sped off into the distance across the vast, open landscape.  Upon reaching home, after catching his breath, I bet he had a feathered, tall tale to tell.

Through the years I’ve come across quite a few goats and asses, too…as well as some of the four-legged variety.

Pumpkin-Spinach Scones: Dice 700g pumpkin into bite size pieces; drizzle with olive oil; bake approx 20 min. Cool slightly; set aside. In food processer, whizz 4c S.R. flour and 100g chilled cubed unsalted butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively, place flour in bowl; using fingertips, rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Make well in centre of mix; pour in 375ml milk; mix well until just combined. Don’t over-mix. Add roasted pumpkin, 1c loosely packed chopped spinach, 1/4c chopped chives, 180g grated tasty cheese, and 1/2c crumbled feta; combine; don’t over-mix. Place mixture on floured bench; roll into long log, about 30cm x 10cm. Cut in half long ways down centre; then cut into 6 sections, making 12 scones. Place shaped scones on lined oven tray; bake 25-30mins. 

Coconut Scones: Combine 1c desiccated coconut and 1c warmed coconut cream in small bowl. Let stand 20mins or until mixture has thickened slightly. Combine 3c S.R. flour, 2tbs icing sugar and 1/4tsp salt in bowl. Add coconut mixture and 1/2c milk. Use a knife to "cut" coconut mixture and milk through flour mix to a soft, sticky dough. Turn out dough onto lightly-floured surface. Knead briefly until smooth; shape into a 2cm-thick round. Using a 5.5cm cutter dipped into flour, cut rounds from dough. Place scones side by side on prepared tray. Brush tops with milk to glaze. Bake 12-15 mins, until golden, and well risen. Serve scones with jam and cream.



23 comments:

  1. We became quite used to the sight of emus and kangaroos when living at the Puckapunyal Army base in the early 1980's, it was surrounded by bushland and they had become used to people wandering around so would hang around the shopping centre carpark some days in hopes of getting food. They became quite aggressive if they didn't get any and my son got chased by an emu who rapped him on the head when M passed him without offering a piece of bread. After that we always made sure to go to the shop in a group, never alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...there's a wallaby wandering/hopping around hereabouts of late. And, a few years ago I spotted an echidna in the driveway. Last Thursday morning I was rudely woken by a noisy rabble....18 Guinea fowls were parading down the yard just out from my bedroom window! Noisy buggers! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  2. I adore our wild life. Our species? Not so much, and definitely in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, EC. And I agree with you're "our species". Hence, the reason why I'm so very reclusive, keeping to myself as much as possible. A hermit I am, and content to be so!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. It’s always a lovely surprise for us townies to see animals in the wild - we know they’re out there but the smiles on our faces when we actually see them in their own habitat are real…..unless it’s Roos grazing on the roadside early morning. You just don’t know which direction they’re going to bound off in. Ones close encounter has been enough for us, hopefully never repeated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Cathy. As I mentioned in an above response, a wallaby is hanging around this property at present. There's always something moving around outside at night, too. Up here on the mountain we have a lot of natural habitat which is great. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  4. As someone who has had the privilege of visiting Australia twice I can say, without anyone begging to disagree, that your wildlife is magnificent, and so different from the rest of the world as to be a constant source of awe for a visiting naturalist. Now humans - Australians are no different from the rest of the world, and two in particular that I remember were very disagreeable. Give me the animals any day. Even a venomous snake is better than a politician.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, David. I love animals, but I do not love or like snakes....not one little bit, and particularly the one that bit me a few years ago! I also lost my beloved cat, Ruska, to a snake...so I have absolutely no love for them at all. Politicians, the world over, are of a similar breed, unfortunately. But, animals...that's another thing :)

    We certainly do have unique animals here. I particularly love our wombats and quokkas, too.

    Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh these scones sound sooo good.
    I hate the misuse of they behaved like animals too. It's just wrong. Monsters maybe. But animals no.
    You've had some fun experiences with the wild life for sure.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandra...I'm a big softie when it comes to animals....I wish I could say similar about some humans! Human behaviour is becoming worse by the day...and there seems to no answer of how to rectify the situation....other than guidelines set in stone...guidelines such as good manners, discipline, respect....and the banishment of greed, vanity and the desire to "show-off".

      I could go on and on, but I won't. My neighbour his riding by on his horse....and I love horses, so I want to admire the beautiful creature as it trots by. :)

      Take care, Sandra...thanks for coming by.

      Delete
    2. I love horses too:)

      Delete
    3. Yes...they're magnificent animals, Sandra. ;)

      Delete
  7. Hahaaaa the kangaroo...Can't Imagine your reaction!!
    The platypus is adorable. How wonderful to have lived like you did...peaceful.
    Thanks for your recipe! We LOVE scones!!
    Have a sweet and peaceful week, friend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Donna...the kangaroo incident was funny, and unexpected!! Don't be fooled, my life has rarely been "peaceful'! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care...enjoy the scones! :)

      Delete
  8. Animals never lose their dignity in their encounters with us. We cannot say the same, I'm afraid.

    The coconut scones look delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi...humans have much to learn...and some, unfortunately, are too dumb to do so.

      Animals are wonderful creatures...I've just seen a terrific segment on the morning TV...a baby koala being hand-fed and raised by its loving carer. It is the sweetest, most beautiful little thing. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care.

      Delete
  9. There are so many lovely scone recipes, I like the look of the pumpkin-spinach ones, they sound and look very tasty.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Strange! I posted a response, Jan...but for whatever reason, it didn't come up!!

    I've not made scones for a long time....maybe I should give myself a kick up the proverbial and make some! :)

    Thanks for coming by...take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading about your encounters with all the animals! How I would love to see Australia! We all have had encounters with the two legged asses, I think I've had more than I can count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Land Down Under would greet you with open arms, Kay. :)

      Yes...I've had more than my fair share of encounters with two-legged asses, too...unfortunately!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  12. Your post gave me the warm fuzzies, Lee. Thanks for sharing those special moments with our Aussie treasures. The kangaroos on the beach at Cape Hillsborough photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Pauline...I'm glad my little story made you feel good. :) They were special moments shared with special creatures. I'm a huge softie when it comes to animals.

      By coincidence, on Sunrise just now as I write there is a segment on baby wallabies, koalas and Tassie Devils. Beautiful little things that can't help but warm one's heart. Our animal parks are so, so important, doing a wonderful job. I've got tears in my eyes as I type...see...I told you I was a softie! :)

      Thanks for coming by....take good care.

      Delete
  13. I too am irritated by people talking about other people behaving "like animals. " I often think, as I watch yet another sleazy devious politican, "if only!!" I never thought of coconut scones, but it sounds like a great idea. I like to make scones with part wholemeal flour.

    ReplyDelete