Sunday, November 12, 2023

THE SPIES WHO LOVE ME…

 

Kookaburra...graphite drawing I did a few years ago

Magpies

Butcher Bird

Noisy Miner

.
Pied Currawong




Constantly I’m under surveillance by a group of tuxedo-clad spies, and by others of various sizes, dressed in outfits of varying designs and colours. They’ve bugged my place with hidden cameras of that I am certain.  I strongly suspect they’ve buried periscopes out and about in the yard.  My every movement is being monitored. No matter how quiet or stealthily-made a movement I make, out of nowhere they appear at my screen door, peering inside, blatantly letting their presence be known.  How do they know what I’m up to if not for hidden scrutiny devices?  Sometimes the spies even tap on my closed, sliding glass door to ensure I won’t ignore them.  That’s how determinedly persistent they are. Every step I take….I can’t get away with anything!

For the 20 plus years I shared my life with my two beloved furry best friends, Remy and Shama, every afternoon, when cutting up meat for their dinner, I gave the neighbouring birds the meat scraps. I can’t let them down. The magpies, kookaburras and the cheeky, fearless, little spitfires disguised as butcherbirds are not dependent on me for their food, but they do know that every day I have special treats for them.  Frequently, currawongs visit, too.  Lately, a few noisy miners have quietly joined the gang.  I wonder how much the joining fee is. 

I’ve no fears of being swooped on by the magpies.  They know I’m their mate, and am not a threat.  I call the magpies “Maggie”, the kookaburras, “Kooka”, and the butcherbirds, “Butch”, or…“Tommy Butcher” (when I was a child one of our neighbour’s name was “Tommy Butcher”.  He was a cop). The noisy miners, I call “Digger”. 

To my delight, the maggies introduced their babies to me a few weeks ago.  The “babies” are no longer small. They are as big as their parents, but they’ve not yet graduated to suits similar to those of their elders. The young ones are still clad in their murky grey-coloured rompers. No doubt they’ll soon don tuxedos, spread their wings, and fly off in search of new adventures, forgetting me.

While unloading groceries from my car the other day, one of the magpies, in a world of his own, was wandering down the yard, grazing as he strolled.  “G’day, Maggie! Whatcha doin’?”  I called out to my feathered friend. 

Without fear or hesitation, the bird turned, and walked across to me, coming to a stop a couple of inches from my feet. His plucky, confident behavior gifted me a joyful start to my day. If I could have picked him up and given him a cuddle, I would’ve done so.  He was probably checking out my shopping bags to make sure their meat was among my purchases…it was….

When I was a little girl, often, as a form of affection, my mother called me, “Maggie”.  Why she called me so, I have no idea, but I liked it. Maybe it’s the reason I’ve a close affinity with the maggies!   Just a thought!  Don’t run and hide! I’ve no intentions of swooping on anyone. Dive-bombing isn’t a habit of mine.

Daily visits from the birds, the beauty of jacaranda blossoms, and mango season, all help lighten, a little, the burden of today’s troubled world. I love having the birds around...hearing their calls.  They're a chatty mob!

With so much beauty surrounding us, why do many humans fail to see it…to appreciate it?  Too many humans don’t want to recognise and appreciate what they’re part of - what they have.  The innately inhumane behavior of some, their lack of compassion, their cruelty, is never-ending. When will humans learn?  I wish I had a positive, ever-lasting answer. There’s too much violence, prejudice, hate, sorrow… let’s restore empathy, goodwill, respect, kindness, love, caring, laughter...

Ticks tick me off. They receive no empathy from me.  A couple of weeks ago, one little pest buried into my neck, nestling in behind my left ear lobe. For a few hours, after I’d successfully dislodged it, I eased the irritation it caused by applying - laying my head on - a cold pack of frozen blueberries. My head was still attached to my neck, by the way.  Almost freezing the affected area was/is an assured, quick way to rid the annoying after-effects of a nasty tick.  Maybe I’ll send a call out to the 18 rowdy Guinea Fowls that woke me one morning a while back to come and do their job. Guinea Fowls are supposed to be eradicators of ticks

Mango-Blueberry Smoothie: Blend until completely smooth, 3/4c Greek yoghurt, 3/4c milk, 3/4c frozen blueberries, 3/4c frozen mango chunks, 1tbs honey and splash of vanilla.  Add more milk if too thick.

Mango-Blueberry Cake: Preheat oven, 177C. Butter and flour a 23cm/ 9-inch square or round pan. In bowl, whisk together, 2c plain flour, 2-1/2tsp baking powder, zest of lemon and 3/4tsp salt.  Cream 1/4c softened butter and 3/4c sugar until fluffy.  Add 3/4c coconut milk, regular milk or favourite non-dairy ‘milk’ and 1 egg; mix well. Add the flour, zest, etc; mix well. Gently fold in by hand, 1c diced mangoes and 1c fresh or frozen blueberries.  Make crumble topping:  Combine 1/3c softened butter, 1/2c sugar, 1/3c flour, 1/2tsp cinnamon, and pinch nutmeg. Spread cake batter in pan; sprinkle crumble topping over batter. Bake for 20mins. Lower heat to 163C; bake another 25mins, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Mango-Blueberry Parfait: Grab 1 finely-diced mango, 1-1/2c fresh blueberries, vanilla yoghurt and some granola. Place layer of berries on bottom of glass dish or large glass, then granola, then yoghurt; add layer of mango, granola, and then yoghurt again. Repeat layers until dish/glass is full. Garnish with some berries, mango and granola. Chill until ready to devour.  

 

25 comments:

  1. Birds learn who their friends are, and it seems you've been chosen.

    It's a hard world, if you come up with any ideas to make things better, please do share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I did have the answers, messymimi...sadly, I don't. But I shall keep trying...

      I love having the birds around...they are my mates...and vice versa.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for featuring so many birds. Your etching of the kookaburra is quite wonderful. I’d be proud to hang it on my wall. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, David. I'm glad you like my drawing. Our kookaburras are uniquely wonderful birds. I love them...even when, at the crack of dawn, they're laughing! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care.

      Delete
  3. I speak to all the magpies around here, calling them all Maggie and have never been swooped. I gave up feeding them though, along with the crows and cockatoos. When the handful of cockies grew to a flock of thirty it was just too expensive, so when my last huge bag of seed ran empty I stopped. The birds came around for a while still, but gradually accepted I wasn't going to feed them and stayed away. Recently a few cockies have shown up squawking, but all I put out these days is fresh water. The neighbour upstairs was away for the winter, she goes to Europe for their summer then comes home for our summer and while she was gone I was happy to see the end of the mourning doves whose constant coo-coo drives me batty, when she came home we had a chat and she agreed to not feed them anymore, but she lied and throws down oats and bread twice a day.
    I love your drawings and now I know what a Butcher Bird looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, River....I love having the birds around here. I love listening to them chatting away...they give me so much comfort, particularly now Remy and Shama are no longer with me. I also love at night listening to the owl up in the trees across the lane here.

      The little butcher birds are cheeky little fellows....dear little things. And they swoop down so fast to grab their tucker, to dodge the larger birds. I love their chatter...they're such bright, happy little birds.

      The kookas had been missing for a few days or so, and I was getting concerned, but they're back again. They're obviously nesting...it's that time of the year for them. Hopefully, soon they, too, will introduce their babies to me. :)

      Thanks for coming by, and your comment...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your drawing of the kooka. As you know we get all of those birds here too - and they are MORE than welcome, though I would love to see/hear the kookaburras more often than I do. They soon learn who their friends are - and don't forget either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the birds are MORE than welcome around here near me, too, Sue... I love them....As I said they're not dependent upon me, and I don't wish them to be. However, their presence is always most welcome.

      I'm glad you like my kooka...they're wonderful birds.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Birds bring a lot of joy in our life with their songs and behaviour.
    Your drawings and your food recipes, Lee, are always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DUTA....we all need joy in our lives at present...lots of it.

      I'm glad you get pleasure from my drawings and recipes...that makes me feel good. :)

      Take care - stay safe....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Always good if one can be friendly to the birds, and you are - friend and neighbour feeds the magpies that come each year to her backdoor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Margaret...even though they're not dependent upon me, the birds who visit me daily are like pets to me...I love them. And, I may be wrong, but I think the feeling is reciprocated. :) They respond...they listen when I talk to them. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. I had plenty of Magpies where I lived in New Zealand and they gave me no trouble. Once, though, when visiting a fellow blogger I was dive-bombed mercilessly because I walked along a road near their nests in the breeding season. We don't have your Magpies here in Scotland but we have hooded crows which are similar and opportunistic and very intelligent. However I cannot like them because I have seen the pecking the eyes out of a lamb as it was being born. They presumably know that if they are successful it will shortly die and be carrion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS apart from that I love birds and I even admire hooded crows. I just don't like them

      Delete
    2. G'day, David. Yes...it would be/is very upsetting to have seen the hooded crows attack lambs. The laws of nature are not always nice or gentle, sadly.

      It's good to hear from you, Graham. I hope all is well with you. Take care....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. What a gift to have a Maggie stroll up to say Hey. Happy BDay. Hope it's wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandra. Thanks so much for your birthday wishes. I received the shock of my life when I popped into your blog yesterday and saw you'd left a birthday greeting for me. It was a lovely surprise. How on earth did you know it was my birthday???? I was stunned! lol

      That moment when the maggie walked over, and up close to me was a magical moment. It lifted my spirits, that's for sure.

      Thanks for coming by, Sandra...take good care...and thanks again for your birthday wishes. :)

      Delete
  9. I honestly think some animals are intuitive enough to read our minds and know if we are kind or angry or ignoring them. They can see by our eyes, our walk and if like me you talk to them, they can understand tone of voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Tabor. Animals certainly are intelligent...and, sadly, much more than many, many humans are. I know the birds that come around here are a smart lot.

      My now passed, dearly beloved cats, Remy and Shama were a smart pair. I was always asking them what was going on in their mind....I knew a lot was. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh Lee!! SO sorry about the tick!! I hate those things! Hope you're better now?!
    I love birds...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Donna. The tick was sorrier than me! I'm still here...it's not! :) All's well the cold pack did the trick. I had no lasting effects, thankfully.

      I love birds, too...intelligent, beautiful creatures they are.

      Thanks for coming by....take care. :)

      Delete
  11. It's nice to read about your feathered friends, Lee, and it seems you have quite a following! Your question about why humans fail to appreciate the beauty around them is one I've wondered about as well. People seem too much in a hurry to appreciate things these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice. Hearing the birds hanging around outside, and also hearing them, makes me happy. They're a friendly group.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  12. We have quite a few magpies that like to visit and squirrels too.
    My favourite is the Robin though and I always say hello to it :)

    Thanks for sharing your recipes.
    Take care, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan...I love having the birds around. Their visits make me happy.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete