Saturday, April 22, 2017

WAVES OF SORROW; OCEANS OF TORMENT; HEROES NOT JUST FOR ONE DAY....





As another Anzac Day...Tuesday, 25th April...approaches dark clouds of sadness descend and hover, refusing to disperse. 

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day

After all the years; after all the wars; the endless fighting, loss of lives, injuries, broken families, humans haven’t heeded history’s lessons.  In blind ignorance they remain.
  
Man’s inhumanity to man continues. Appalling atrocities are inflicted, without guilt or pathos, upon the innocent. 
  
Enemies of civilised people throughout the world, the tyrants, the oppressive despots, the dictators erroneously believe they are above the laws of decency.   

The scrupulous among us, those of our own country and those of our allies abroad are forced to step up to the plate; be first through the door, selflessly putting their lives at risk to make the world a better place - for everyone - no matter one’s colour, culture or creed.    

Our world is drenched in sorrow, with no signs of the suffering abating; no end to the mourning nigh. Instead, the intensity of concern, heartache, negativity, fear and unhappiness increases hour by hour.   

Although uninvited and unwelcome, sadness resides in my heart.  It’s a burdensome demon that refuses to leave.  

I keep questioning why the road to “good overcoming evil” has to be so long.  Why do millions of lives have to be lost along the way?  Why is there no resolution in sight?
    
Human ineptitude and selfish megalomania for starters...need I go on?

Every man and woman of our Defence Force, past and present, are held in high regard as far as I’m concerned.  

A son of dear friends is an honoured member of Australia’s Defence Force. My friends’ son has done three tours of the Middle East.  He is now on home turf, and here he shall remain, based in Canberra, our nation's capital.
  
I believe I have a good imagination, but I can’t begin to imagine what my friends went through when their son was stationed in the overseas’ battlegrounds.  I wouldn’t insult them by saying I know what they went through.  I wouldn’t insult my friends by saying I had even the slightest inkling.
  
I do know every time I talk with them about their son, a lad I’ve not seen since he was a little boy, my eyes well with tears and my voice trembles.  A feeling of pure pride engulfs me.  I’m proud of the man he’s become. I’m proud of what he has done, and continues to do, not only for his country, but for every decent, civilised person throughout the world who desires peace and harmony.  

Our Armed Forces, past and present, deserve our respect.  Not expecting adulation, but certainly deserving of it, they are humble, not arrogant. They should be held in high esteem. They warrant our approval and glorification more than all the so-called “celebrities” and “sports’ heroes” combined.   

May the sacrifices made by those who serve never become lost in the mists of time.  

Our men and women of the Defence Force have my utmost admiration; that will never change.  I wish the attitudes and actions of many humans who occupy space on this earth would change, and change soon.  

Perhaps my wishes and I live in a Fool’s Paradise...

Oh! How I wish my wishes would become realities.  

My wish is for everyone, everywhere, to exist in a moral, incorruptible world; a peaceful, loving world in which no parent’s child goes off to war.  

Humans are dense – blinkered!   

Why are humans incapable of learning history's lessons? 

                                             LEST WE FORGET...



32 comments:

  1. We are certainly a species of slow learners. Dangerously slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet, humans are still so dumbly arrogant, EC - too arrogant and self-centred to recognise the error of their ways!

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  2. Over and over again..no lessons learned except how to inflict greater suffering on more lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Delores...and humans think they're the smart ones! How misguided!

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. "Why are humans incapable of learning history's lessons?"

    I would love to know the answer ...

    Great, Great Post Lee.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I often wonder how it is I still have hair left on my head!

      Delete
  4. Not a great deal is learnt from these dreadful encounters of the past, fighting still goes on and on.
    Have no idea how these soldiers feelfelt when they arrive home, never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless experienced first hand, one will never know, never understand, Margaret. It's heartbreaking just thinking about what they went through and are still going through. And will continue suffering because there are no signs that things will ever change.

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. I'm right there next to you in my own Fool's Paradise, desperately hoping a war doesn't come along and destroy it. I don't want to be the first one to give up hope for the future, but it does weigh on me more than it used to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still remember my first husband's nightmares of his time in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you do, River...the wives suffer, too - they're right in the firing line, and helpless in knowing what the right thing to do is; how to be of assistance to help ease the pain, dissolve the memories. Many folk don't realise or understand theyt he whole family suffers...and little or no help at all was offered...to anyone...back then. Thankfully, there is an awareness nowadays and help is there to those who seek it.

      We are again...still...living in worrying times.

      Thanks\ you for coming by...and thanks to your first husband, too, for his sacrifices.

      Delete
    2. I wish the help was accessed. Sadly we lose more of our military (veterans and those still serving) to suicide than we do in the theatre of war. It seems that the help isn't enough/or the right kind/or the culture prohibits asking...

      Delete
  7. Oh Lee ...... I wish I could help you with an answer to that last question but unfortunately I can't. If only your wishes could become realities. Alas ..... as you say ...... Humans are dense and will never learn. One day, and that day seems to be getting closer and closer, it will be too late. I fear for my children and Grandchildren. Great post. LEST WE FORGET!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Charlie's Mum...I, too, fear for the young of today, and the future. One can't help but wonder what the hell the future holds for them, for anyone.

      Once upon a time I never would have thought I would've uttered the words "I'm glad I'm in my twilight years"...but with all the mayhem, hate, suffering and mistrust that is going on these days...those words I have mentioned, often.

      Thanks for coming by...I hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  8. Many family members have served in the military. My husband retired from the Navy after serving on multiple ships and several tours in South East Asia. Two grandsons are currently in the Navy. They all believe in love of country and their ability to protect and serve. We hate for them to go but they are driven and we must be thankful for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank them for me, too, Annie. They have my admiration and gratitude.

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous6:22 AM

    Nice post. While the vast majority of our forces serve us very well, there are at times the odd one who doesn't. I suppose someone has already coined 'the futility of war' and it nearly always is. Fortunately Australian mothers don't lose sons as they have in the past, many mothers in other countries do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Andrew...enjoy your holiday...stay safe.

      Delete
  10. Well said, Lee. I've never understood the barbarity that humans show to humans.
    And I'm forever grateful for those in the service that put their lives on the line to serve and defend country and family. A huge thank you to them. And thanks to you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand the barbarity of humans, either, Sandra.

      There is much about humans I don't understand. As each day and year goes by I understand less and less; I just want to remove myself from them all, but their ongoing atrocities and their senseless, pointless, destructive behaviour make it very difficult to achieve.

      Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  11. Humans are dense - and that was what I was alluding to in my blog post today when I say I am worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I knew what you were alluding to, Lynn. May the white doves of peace outnumber the dogs of war.

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  12. This is a good post - too much of what is said about ANZAC is for the purpose of modern day politics - not about remembrance, or a will not to make the same mistakes again. (I think)

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stewart.

      However, I do disagree with what you've said about ANZAC Day. To me the day is highly emotional and of the highest importance. Up until two years ago I attended the Dawn Service...but I don't physically do that now.

      I may not be in attendance physically at the local Dawn Service here at Tamborine Mountain, but I've been up since 4 am this morning...I've watched the Dawn Service in Elephant Rock, on the beach at Currumbin on the Gold Coast...and those held elsewhere throughout our wonderful country. I'm presently watching the Brisbane march, as I always do; and when that is over, I will be watching the Dawn Service at Gallipoli...followed by Villers-Bretonneux. For me, today is a very emotional day...and politics plays no role in it...for me....modern or otherwise. I've shed many tears...and the day is not yet over.

      To me, Anzac Day is most important. I'm not a religious person...but to me...this is my day to show my respect...

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  13. What powerful for incredible men and women who really serve their countries to preserve freedom and civilization. Whenever a soldier walks by at any public venue, my breath catches and tears well. Too many lives lost, too little lessons learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone, Susan...I stand, with pride, beside you with tear-filled eyes...tears that over-flow.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  14. YOU have a day filled with sunshine, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anzac Day is always a sad, emotional day for me, Sandra, as it is for so many others. Today is a new day...I refuse to shed more tears today...enough, I say!

    Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. and now the world is in turmoil again, glad your friend's son is home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world has always been in turmoil, Linda...same old, same old. Unfortunately, it appears humans will never be able to live in harmony....

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete