Wednesday, May 08, 2019

AIN’T MISBEHAVIN’ ON THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE STREET...


My Mother...Elma Flora...at the age of 18 years
My Nana...Ivy Flora...on her wedding day

                                                                         
    

                                               MOTHER’S LOVE                         
                               Mother’s acute enchantment at baby’s first cry
                               Profound contentment as it suckles her breast     
                               The trusting grasp of her hand when laid to rest       
                               Enraptured by smiles, baby’s tentative first step
                               Supreme joy at first words spoken, many tears shed
                              Eager anticipation, excitement of what lies ahead
                              A mother’s love is absolute, unable to be compared

             
                                                                                         Poem by Me



The above blending of two old tunes could be the theme song of my late brother’s and my childhood; some of it, anyway.  It wasn’t all sunshine and roses - or behavin’!  

“Stardust”, “Georgia on My Mind”, “Honeysuckle Rose”, “A Kiss to Build a Dream On”m "Nola", "Jealousy", and a host of others, were also part of our mother’s vast repertoire of melodies.  Mum’s fleet fingers caressing the ivories - sometimes pounding - introduced us to the wondrous classical piano pieces by Mozart, Schumann, Beethoven, Liszt, etc., too.

Music was our mother’s heart and soul. Music played a major role in our lives; a gift, given, and appreciatively received, many times over.

My brother and I were raised by two mothers...our mother and our Nana.  Mum called Nana, “Mumma”.  

At the age of seven years, thereabouts, “Mummy” suddenly sounded babyish to me.  Henceforth, “Mum” found its slot in my expanding vocabulary. 

Around the same time another world-shattering realisation occurred.  I ceased calling my brother Graham, “Gar”.  When I was a wee tot “Graham” was difficult to pronounce, so “Gar” is what he got.

For a few years, as well as her full-time job, our mother took off before the crack of frosty dawns to go bean-picking on farms in the Gympie surrounds. Upon completing that seasonal back-breaking chore Mum returned home to ready herself before heading off to her other job.

Tall, poised, very attractive with radiant auburn hair, our mother was never unemployed. Often she was called upon to grace the catwalks in local fashion parades.

Life at times was tough. Not all was bright and sunny on the sunny side of the street. Dark clouds loomed at times, unwelcome and uninvited, but defeat and surrender were not allowed through the door.  

We were never without food on the table, or in the cupboards; nor were we ever without clean, neat, ironed clothes; or fair discipline - discipline my brother, Graham and I respected.  Nana and Mum shared a wicked sense of humour...and sense of fair play.

Nana worked part-time during school hours. She was there for us in the mornings, and when we arrived home from school - never were we “latch-key” kids.  Both Mum and Nana sewed.  Our Singer treadle sewing machine rarely was idle. Hand-sewing and darning were part of life back then, too.

Do we - when we’re kids, teenagers, and young adults – fully understand what our mothers do for us - sacrifice for us? 

As a whole, when navigating our way, we’re too immature, too inexperienced in the realities of life to know if our mothers are happy...to recognise if they are content – or not. Too often, thoughtlessly, we’re too eager to judge.  We’re selfish.  Without hesitation, we fall into the trap of not showing our love; of not making our mothers aware we care. 

“Thank you” are two words, small in size, but huge in significance.  It’s not weakness to voice the words.

Don’t keep mum. Open up - thank your Mum for being your Mum. 

Be understanding of the fact - like you, and like me...our mothers are human. They had/have to learn as they go – step by often tentative step. Everyone has faults; not one of us is perfect.  I certainly am not. Mistakes are inevitable.  

All the books in the world, written by “experts”, can’t prepare a person for the unexpected; for the harsh realism of life raising a child presents; for complex daily personal experiences; for the actuality of being a teacher, a role model, a guide, disciplinarian - a loving mother to a little being...to a naive child receptive to life lessons. 

“Carpe diem! Seize the day!”   Express three words - words with a world of meaning...”Thank you, Mum”...and/or “Love you, Mum”.  

Happy Mother’s Day to Mums....Sunday, 12th May.....(Australia and USA).

Best wishes to mothers everywhere...Mum’s Day is every day!

(I've been dropping myriad hints to my two furry rascals, Remy and Shama, that I'd love breakfast in bed on Sunday...breakfast prepared by them...but, I'm not getting my hopes up....) 

Ham Spinach Egg Bakes: Preheat oven, 190C with rack in lowest position. Cut shortcrust pastry into 10cm rounds.  Fit rounds into a lightly greased 12-cup muffin tin; press up and slightly over sides of each cup; chill 10mins. Whisk together 4 large eggs, 3/4c milk and cream combined, 300g spinach, 1/3c finely chopped smoked ham, 2 chopped shallot stalks, 1tbs chopped dill, 2tsp Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Spoon evenly into crusts; bake 22-25mins. Serve warm.

Banana Pancakes: Blend or process 1-1/4c rolled oats, 1 large ripe banana, 155g thick vanilla yoghurt, 4 eggs, 1tsp vanilla, 1-2tbs maple syrup, 1tsp baking powder, 1/2tsp baking soda, 1/2tsp cinnamon and 1/8tsp salt until smooth and uniform in texture. Brush a non-stick skillet with butter or a bit of oil over med-to-low heat. Add about 1/4c portions of batter at a time for 10cm pancakes. Sprinkle in mini- choc chips. Cook until edges start to harden and batter starts to bubble on top, leaving little craters in the pancakes, about 2-3mins. Flip pancakes; allow them to cook through for another minute or so. Top pancakes with yoghurt, sliced bananas and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Strawberry Muffins: In a small bowl, toss 1/2c finely chopped strawberries with 1tbs flour. Set aside. Cream 1/2c butter and 1/c sugar until fluffy; add 2 large eggs, one at a time; beat until mixed. Whisk together 2-1/2c plain flour, 1tbs baking powder, 1tsp baking soda, 1/2tsp cinnamon and 1/4tsp salt. Add 1/3 of flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with 1c buttermilk until all has been added. Gently fold in flour-coated strawberries. Transfer batter to greased 12-cup muffin tin. Sprinkle each muffin with Sparkling Sugar, if you desire. Ir gives a nice crunch to the top of the muffins but not necessary for the flavour. Bake at 204C 15-18mins, or until muffins are slightly golden brown and done in the centre.  




24 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts and true. Your cats love you, but without the thumbs, they can't work the can opener for themselves, much less the stove for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, messymimi...my two furry mates are at this very moment waiting for me to cut up their meat for them. They have fresh meat for dinner every day/night and various prepared cat foods for breakfast. No can openers required, and still they refuse to do for themselves! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Your cats will know it's Mother's Day on Sunday :) animals just know these things.
    Lovely memories of your mum.
    My mum used to sew all my dancing costumes mostly late at night after her days work..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Margaret...every day is Cat's Day around here! :)

      I wonder if very much sewing goes on in homes today...I know I've not sewn in years. I used to once upon a time, long, long ago...

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy mother's day on Sunday - your mother and grandmother were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandie...Never having children of my own...I'll just say thanks to all the good mums out there....and cuddle my two furry rascals.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. It's true enough that we don't realise how much our mothers do for us until we are mothers ourselves. I didn't get along well with my own mum, being raised by my dad after she left us, then later she criticised many of my child-raising methods because I didn't do things her way, so I don't recall ever thanking her. My kids now have their own kids and have thanked me for things I did and things I still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...Sadly, not all mothers are cut out to be mothers, as it was with yours. It was the reverse for my brother and me...we didn't have a father on the scene.

      Thanking someone who was always critical, and who had deserted you, would be hypocritical. I know I wouldn't have done so.

      I'm sure your own children are grateful for all you have done for them...and are for them. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. You come from good looking stock.
    I am glad that your relationship with your mother and your Nana was so very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC....Oh! We had our moments, as all mothers and daughters do...as did Mum and Nana...but Nana's mantra was always to never let the sun go down on one's anger...and we all tried our best to abide by that rule...not always successfully! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Haha, Good luck getting anything from a cat! Your mother and Nana were beautiful! Are you tall also? My Mom was only 5'1" ,so I am lucky at 5'4" ! Lovely post. Now, go and play that piano!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kay. I hit the heights of 5ft 8-1/2 or so inches...just a fraction beneath 5ft 9 inches.

      Our wonderful old upright, iron-frame piano - an Irving - a German make... was given away to a childcare centre following Mum's passing. I hope further pleasure was gained from it.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I suspect if your furry friends brought you breakfast in bed, you might not like what was on the menu they prepared, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Linda...I don't know about that. These two of mine dine very well. Fresh meat for dinner every night...plus their special cat food in the mornings. And, of course, Remy, my male cat, insists on sharing my lunch!! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Anonymous2:52 AM

    What a lovely photo of your Mother, and her looks and dress were rather stylish. Breakfast for bed for you on Sunday will be a little cat saliva as they give you a licking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew...Mum was always very particular about her appearance...from when she was young and throughout her life. She took time getting ready to go out. The dress in she was photographed in above was a long, flowing lilac and white dress. At the time she worked in a large (for the era) department store in Rockhampton...and was also their in-store mannequin (as models were called in those days of the 30s and 40s).

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. How come your Nana had to stand up for her wedding day photo? There's your grandpa looking very comfortable on his bum while Nana stands in her wedding shoes. I guess that Englishmen are more gentlemanly. If I had been marrying your Nana (a bizarre thought I know) she would have been sitting while I hovered happily over her, looking forward to our wedding breakfast of ham spinach egg bakes, strawberry muffins and banana pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Yorkie, I wasn't around when they had the photo taken.

      I guess men look the same no matter what they wear, and by standing, the bride was able to show off her lovely gown. A man in a suit is just a man in a suit!

      My grandfather wasn't an Englishman...he was a Scotsman. He might have been sulking because his kilt hadn't arrived in time. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. What a goodly heritage:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is an interesting, eventful one, Annie! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post and thank you for sharing your photographs.
    I so agree with you "Thank you” are two words, small in size, but so huge in significance...

    Here in the UK we celebrated Mother's Day on the 31st March, but to Mother's everywhere I wish them a happy and special day and if like me your Dear Mum has passed on - relive the special memories I hope you shared.

    Mums are forever in our hearts :)

    All the best Jan

    PS Thanks for the recipes here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan for your very nice response...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Interestingly my Nana was Florence and my Mother was Flora and they both had Singer sewing machines. I was taught always to thank people for the things they did for me and I still do. I thanked my parents before they went and my thank you letters for when I go are already written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham....too often those few words are not uttered - out of ignorance. In my opinion, there are no excuses for not saying "Thank you" when thanks is due.

      So here I go....thank you for coming by. :)

      Delete