Thursday, May 23, 2019

YOGI, LIKE ME, WILL JUST HAVE TO GRIN AND BEAR IT!



Ural Motorcycle and sidecar
Above three images of Tamborine Mountain Distillery
Bristol-Bullet


Please bear with me while I don my cranky boots and cranky pants. I know I’m going to sound like a bear with a sore head.  So be it.

Has anyone ever heard a bear with a sore head? How would you know the bear had a sore head?  The bear could be just baring its soul.  I’ve heard koalas, but they’re not bears.  I imagine the sounds bears make would be more than one could bear. 

Yogi may have made a boo-boo and lost Huckleberry Hound; perhaps Winnie the Pooh discovered his honey jar was empty.  I’m putting forward a few thoughts on the matter...

How we express feelings can vary.  There are instances, of course - dependent on situations – when human reactions are similar.  Some people express little emotion. We’re all different...and yet, similar.  What a conundrum the human being is!

Here’s my whinge. Bear with me, if you will, while I whine.  Some will disagree with me, but that’s okay...I’m not always agreeable.

I’ve a love-hate relationship with Saturdays and Sundays. 

The “love” is easing into the day leisurely reading the paper; a mug of steaming coffee within arm’s reach, and my two furry roomies snuggled up beside me.  The “hate” is the intrusive, thunder of roaring motor bikes, which are often accompanied by the raucous cacophony of souped-up cars. 

If the racket they create isn’t disturbing the peace, I’ve not a clue what is.  Why do motorcycles have to be so damn noisy? 

To make matters, and the noise, worse is the culprits usually travel in packs.  

I’m unable to fathom the answer given when motorcyclists are asked the question why they enjoy riding bikes.  

Uniformly, the reply is; “It’s the free feeling of wind in our hair; on our faces.”    

How on earth can that be when their uniform is that of Darth Vader?  Obviously, their ideas of freedom and mine are vastly different.  Clad in tight, thick, heavy leathers, the heat must be horrendous – a personal sauna. 

Get a sports car, or convertible – like the awesome, iridescent blue Bristol I admired the other day.  Driving along the winding mountain roads in a sports car with the top down beneath a clear, sunshiny sky – now that’s freedom.  Eat your heart out, Darth invaders!

On the flip-side, a few weeks ago, Gordon, the pleasant gentleman from Tamborine Mountain Distillery and I drooled over a beautifully-maintained burgundy Russian Ural motorcycle with sidecar. We found it difficult to restrain ourselves from jumping on board and going for a quick spin around the IGA supermarket car park before the owners returned and reported us to the authorities!  

Once again, I am repeating myself - I do meet the nicest people at IGA, the car park, the newsagency - and at the local dump!  

Only once have I ridden in a sidecar - along the streets of Sunshine Beach in the early 80s. The bike and sidecar were owned by a friend of my then husband and me.
  
I’ve ridden pillion, once, in the early 60s, on a motor bike owned by a friend of my brother. I wouldn’t be able to get my leg over now!  

Motor bikes are annoyingly noisy. And their thoughtless, unnecessary interruption to the peace and quiet does make me cranky...like a bear with a sore head!

Nevertheless, an impeccably-preserved vehicle is to be admired, whether it is a two-wheeler, three-wheeler, or four-wheeler, 18-wheelers etc.  

I’ve friends, including a husband and wife team, who are “bikers” – not “bikies”.  They frequently participate in charity runs raising money, mostly for children in need.  For such selfless deeds, bikers deserve to be commended.


Honey Garlic Chicken: Season 4 chicken thighs. Heat 1tbs each butter and olive oil in pan over med-high heat. Place thighs skin-side down; sear until golden brown. Remove from pan; set aside. Add 1 diced onion and 4 potatoes cut into 3cm cubes to pan; sauté until golden-brown; season; remove from pan. Melt 1tbs butter over med-heat in same pan; add 4 minced garlic cloves; sauté until garlic is fragrant. Add 1/4c honey, 1/4c soy sauce and 1tbs white vinegar; simmer; reduce heat to med-low; simmer until slightly thickened. Nestle thighs and potato mixture into pan; drizzle some sauce over top. Bake at 200C, 25-35mins.  

Honey Garlic Salmon: In  bowl, mix together 1/3c honey, 2 minced garlic cloves, salt and pepper, 1tsp each chopped parsley and fresh basil, 1tbs Dijon mustard, 1tbs soy sauce, and 1/4c white wine vinegar. Whisk well.  Pour about ½c of honey mixture over 4 skin-on salmon fillets. Coat well; marinade 15mins.  In reserved honey mixture, add 1/4ts cornflour; mix well. Set aside. Don’t toss marinade. Spray large pan with olive oil cooking spray. Place salmon skin side up in pan; cook 6mins or until cooked through. Turn salmon over, pour both marinade mixtures over salmon; add slices of 1 lemon; simmer 5mins. As the sauce simmers, use a spoon to continue to coat the salmon and the lemon slices. The sauce should thicken and slightly reduce.

Honey Pears with Greek Yoghurt: Preheat oven 190C. Place 1/3c slivered almonds (or walnuts) on baking tray; toast in oven, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned. Cool on a plate.  Halve 3 ripe but firm Bosc pears lengthwise; scoop out cores. In small Dutch oven or heavy ovenproof saucepan, combine 1/3c honey and 4 fresh bay leaves; simmer over med-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer; stir occasionally, until honey turns a rich amber colour.  Remove from heat. Place 3tbs unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces; space evenly in pot with honey; place a pear half, cut side down, on top of each piece of butter. Cover; roast 10mins. Turn pears over; baste with honey mixture. Drizzle pears with 2tbs amaretto; roast uncovered until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool slightly in the mixture, 30-35mins. Whisk 1-1/2c Greek yoghurt until smooth.  Arrange pears on plate; drizzle honey mixture over top; sprinkle with toasted walnuts or almonds; serve with yoghurt at the table 


29 comments:

  1. Bike are really noisy especially in a group, it's like thunder coming and sometimes a lovely sight to see. Every weekend would be a pain though.
    I too have ridden in a sidecar when a child. Dad had a Harley and we went down the Huon which is rather windy...but it was such fun back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...and in groups they are when they decide to invade the mountain.

      How they are allowed to be so noisy beats me. If my little car made such a racket, it would be taken off the road and I'd be charged for sure!

      Thanks for coming by. I'm sounding like the original Grumpy Old Woman...but, to me...they are very annoying. Give me a sports car any day of the week...weekends, included! :)

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a biker - but hate noisy anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC....I was never a biker...and never had the desire to be one. As I've commented above...sports cars were my preference. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Most "bikies" are actually "bikers". There are many, many motorcycle clubs that have nothing to do with the "bikie gangs". They simply all enjoy bike riding and have gatherings like any other club to ride their bikes to any destination and home again. The noise level might be similar, depending on the bikes ridden, but the riders themselves will be much less raucous.
    I used to own and ride a motorcycle, a tiny little thing, Suzuki 50cc, really a scooter, but I enjoyed the sensation of riding so much. It isn't just the wind in your hair etc. It's a whole experience that simply cannot be replicated by riding in a sports car with the top down. completely incomparable. I miss my bike so much, but I'm too old to start over with the learning process and the rules are very different now along with the traffic which is faster and more dense these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realise that, River...I wasn't referring to bikies as the main theme of my post. The groups that come up here to the mountain are bikers who are members of clubs. They come up in noisy droves...of in groups of 30 or more winding their way, one behind the other.

      As I mentioned, I have very good friends who are bikers. The husband and wife team have four huge bikes between them...as well as a couple of cars. Another very good mate of mine also has a couple of Harleys...plus a couple of cars. He's just bought an old Ford that he has begun to restore. At various times each have visited me here...and I can hear them coming long before they turn into this laneway.

      Dressed as they do in their tight, heavy leathers and helmets, I cannot see how there is "wind in their hair" or on their faces that are mostly hidden under their helmets.

      These bikes are much more powerful and noisy than the little Suzies, as you're aware, I;m sure.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:51 AM

    I rode a motorbike in my youthful years, but never owned one. I don't have a death wish. Motorcycles annoy us big time here where there is the white noise of traffic, but loud motorcycles are so bad. They breech noise levels allowed, the police give them a ticket to present their motorbike for inspection by the Environmental Protection Authority. The bikies/bikers put the removed baffles from their exhaust pipes back in place and pass the noise test, and then remove the baffles as soon as their bike has passed. On the spot fines for noisy motorcycles and if it used by police as a weapon against bikies, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Andrew. I believe in on the spot fines...I'd be fined on the spot if my little car made the noise these bikes do...and the noise the souped-up cars do. The drivers of both seem to think that the mountain is their playground.

      Why some seem to thrive on making unnecessary noise with their form of transport intrigues me. Perhaps the bikers can't hear themselves with their heads encased in the thick helmets lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. I am with you, Lee, on the noise pollution these motorcycles make. I love to sit outside in the evenings during the spring, summer, and fall seasons. I live off a winding, narrow country road and for some reason, some clown likes to race his motorcycle thru it. It is not only the noise, but the speed. He has left many small animals dead on the road without even a thought. I yell profanities at him when he passes my property which he doesn’t hear but it makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...It's just after 7 am Saturday morning here as I type, and they've already started! Just a couple..but more will come!

      I'd be like you, yelling profanities at the ignorant idiot...but he and those like him are deaf and blind to everything and everyone else around them.

      Piano wire works! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Our neighbor's son - who comes in around midnight has a motorcycle. Can't say I like that at all. Lee I have always wanted to ride a motorcycle though. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandie...I've never had the desire...and, as stated above, I've only once been on one as a pillion passenger...just a short ride. That was enough to sate any desire I may have had.

      They are out and about again today...today being Saturday! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. It's not so much the noise that bothers people, but the accidents and casualties that are many among the motorcycles.
    I remember a coworker having a fight with her husband who has just given son the money to buy the motorcycle. What have you done, she shouted; you've just bought him a one-way ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, DUTA...if they are prepared to take the risks...to put themselves in danger from riding such vehicles, that's their choice - so be it...but to make others suffer for the unnecessary noise created is wrong to my way of thinking. When packs of 10, 20, 30 or more roar along the roads...it's not acceptable. Even one roaring by with no muffling of its engine is bad enough.

      See...I said I was wearing my cranky boots and cranky pants! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I've never been able to understand the appeal of motorbikes either, either to ride or to watch, and certainly not to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Jenny. I've never been held under their spell...never been sucked in. If I had the money to spend on a pumped-up bike and all the gear needed to be worn to ride one....I'd much prefer to put that into a vehicle with four wheels...and a boot/trunk where I could put my grocery purchases! And one that travels quietly...not disturbing the peace and quiet of others :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. If they were safer, i wouldn't mind them so much. To see the riders doing really stupid things that can get them and others killed bothers me more than the noise, although that's bothersome enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi...well, it's their choice to ride motorcycles,and take those chances with their lives...but it's not my choice to have to suffer because of their ignorance and the unnecessary deafening noise they cause.

      As I've said previously a few times...I'd be fined if my little car caused the ruckus they do. Perhaps they are all deaf...caused by the noise they make and are deaf,dumb - an ignorant - to the fact it disturbs others.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Here, here, on the bike noise! Aggravating!!
    Love the garlic chicken recipe!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Donna...Unnecessary noise is unnecessary!

      This plateau upon which I, and others, dwell, is a beautiful, peaceful (normally) area...and that is what attracts these thoughtless mobs.

      They are not locals...they come up from the Gold Coast or from the city of Brisbane and surrounds...to "enjoy the country/mountain ambience"...while destroying it for those of us who have chosen to live here because of its beauty, peace, and village-like atmosphere etc!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. I'm not keen on motor bike noise either, or the many youngsters who seem to work on an old car they've bought and make it extra noisy … either by using a very loud music system or putting what seems an illegal silencer on it so the noise is deafening (shaking head and covering ears)

    On a positive note I love your honey themed recipes :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan....It just shows ignorance and no thought for others....there is no need for the noise, that I can fathom or understand. Are they trying to prove something, I wonder....I'll say no more! :)

      Thanks for coming by....glad you like the recipes. :)

      Delete
  12. Though sorely tempted, I shall make no comment upon your reference to getting your "leg over". As you know I am a gentleman with impeccable manners and would not wish to impugn a lady's honour with seedy remarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Major Pud...you know I wrote that sentence purposely! ;)

      You were the only one who picked up on it...or admitted you did! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. That honey garlic chicken sounds good, I am going to make that! Guess what, I can talk just like Yogi Bear. Too many cartoons were studied in my childhood home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha! Now I'm sitting here imagining you talking in cartoon character voices, Kay!!! Cartoons played a huge part in our childhood... :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. And I meant to tell you, I can't stand loud noises and that means motorcycles!

      Delete
  14. Don't know why your post inspired recollections of the Mad Max movies with me, but they did. I'm supposing you don't mess with bikers there. It's not wise to do so here either. They always say their motorcycles have to be loud to be heard by drivers with their own loud music. But they don't have to be loud in local neighborhoods. I remember in my hometown a group of bikers used to ride noisily up and down this one street until one got a round of buckshot in his behind as he was speeding.

    Speaking of sore heads, I have a story to tell there. Last week I was carrying my grandson, two years old, down the stairs, stumbled on the last step and fell. I suffered a couple bruises and my grandson had a sore head. When his dad picked him up from our house later, he rubbed his head and said angrily, "Grandpa did it."

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's the built in boom boxes(for lack of a better term) in cars that rattle windows and can be heard a block away that drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete