Wednesday, July 03, 2019

THE CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT!



Diane Cilento with then husband, Sean Connery
Diane and Paul Newman in "Hiombre"




My first foray into the hectic, but fun hospitality industry was in 1969.

As well as my full-time day job conducted from Monday to Friday, I waitressed, at night, in an eatery in St. Paul’s Terrace, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.  

“The Pelican Tavern” had been built by the owner-chef, Mr. Kyriol Wypow.  In the 1920s, as a young man, Mr. Wypow escaped Russia (Kiev, Ukraine) because he didn’t like the way life was heading after the Russian Revolution. He made his way down through Romania, Greece and Turkey, ending up, at first, in South Australia, before choosing Queensland to be his final destination. 

He married an Australian lass, and together they settled in the Brisbane suburb of St. Lucia.  Their next door neighbours were Sir Raphael and Lady Phyllis Cilento, both leaders in medical research et al. Also, they were the parents of well-known actress, the late, Diane Cilento (who was once married to Sean Connery).  Mr. Wypow, as I always called him, was Diane’s godfather. It was he who urged her to go further afield...to venture overseas...to expand her career.


 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphael_Cilento
 http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/cilento-phyllis-dorothy-12318
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Cilento

One evening at the Tavern a group of happy diners arrived prepared for a pleasant evening. When presented with menus, they asked if they could delay ordering because a tardy friend was yet to join them. I said it would be fine, and left menus for them to peruse. Like a dignitary of high rank, their mate arrived almost an hour later, offering no apology. 

Orders were taken; promptly prepared, and served.  Empty plates were cleared from the table at meal’s end.

Readying to depart, the group pooled resources to settle the check.  

Of course, in every crowd there is always one who chooses to buck the system.  The cocky straggler kicked up a stink.  A show pony, loudly he declared he wasn’t going to pay because of the lateness of his dinner - blah blah blah! 

Politely, but firmly, I told the uncouth fellow there would be no dispute; he would pay for his meal, while bringing to his notice he had obviously enjoyed his dinner because not a crumb had been left on his plate.

Standing my ground, I refused to move until he handed over his dough – dough, not of the floury kind.

Relenting, he paid, albeit begrudgingly.

Being one who loved playing to an audience, with a huff, a puff, and nose in the air, haughtily he announced for all to hear he was from Sydney, visiting Brisbane for the first time.

To impress his point further, he declared: “I won’t be coming back here again!” 

Not missing a beat, with a smile, I responded; “Great!  That’s the best news I’ve heard in ages!” 

Not another word did he utter.

Approaching the exit, he ripped a candle from its holder on a table, and threw it at me.  He missed. Other than laugh, I didn’t flinch.

His companions, embarrassed by his surly, unwarranted behaviour, apologised on his behalf.  The arrogant fellow should’ve been apologetic, not his friends. 

He was a perfect example the customer is not always right.

Entering someone’s yard, and brazenly taking fruit or vegetables from their garden without permission is theft. 

Similar applies to customers who eat fruit from displays in supermarkets, or greengrocery shops with the belief it is their right to do so. It is not. Their behaviour is wrong. It’s offensive. Buy first...eat later. 

Grapes, cherries, peaches etc., aren’t for a customer’s eating at will.  Eating fruit from store display cases is shoplifting.  Pure and simple - in black and white...it’s stealing...no ifs...no buts. 

Putting the pips, after gorging, back among the fruit is disgraceful, disgusting and unhygienic. This crude, ignorant conduct happens far too often.  Too often I discovered this flagrant, sickening behaviour when I had my greengrocery-health food shop in Noosa years ago. It’s crass discourtesy. It’s also not a good look to maul the produce.
  
If I went into the bakery, and took a bite out of a bun or muffin to see if I liked it or not...can you imagine the uproar my action would cause?  

I’m going to open a few olive jars next time I’m in that particular aisle in the local supermarket. I’ll try various olives to see which ones I prefer. With me I’ll take a teaspoon so I can taste-test jams, pickles etc. Try before I buy! 

Not being partial to raw meat, the meat section is safe.  Hold the horses! I could take along a one-burner primus stove. A great idea... perhaps I’ll crack an egg, or two, too...

PS....there were times in my shop I would find an apple...bite taken from it...and the ruined fruit replaced in the display...bite-side down!!!!! 


Pizza Dough: Combine 1-1/2c warm water, 2tbs sugar and 2-1/4tsp active dry yeast in small bowl. Let sit mins. Mix 3-3/4c plain flour and 1tbs salt together in mixer bowl fitted with dough hook. Add 3tbs x-virgin olive oil to yeast. Pour yeast mixture into flour; knead on low speed 10mins. (If mixing by hand, knead dough for same amount of time.) Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into 2 balls; lightly brush dough balls with olive oil; cover completely with plastic wrap. Let rise 45mins. Preheat oven 230C. Lightly grease pizza pan, or dust with cornmeal; pat each dough ball with your fingers; pat out from centre to edge, leaving outer edge a bit thick; top with favourite toppings. Bake 10-15mins.

BBQ Chicken Pizza Topping: Spread top of dough with quality BBQ sauce. Toss chopped/shredded cooked chicken in more BBQ sauce; scatter over dough; add shredded mozzarella, shredded smoked gouda and some thinly sliced red onion.

Brownie Fruit Pizza: Grease deep dish 12-inch pizza pan; line base with round of paper; butter paper; dust pan with 1tsp cocoa; set aside. Combine 2/3c plain flour, 2/3c cocoa, 1tbs cornflour and 1/2tsp salt; set aside. Combine 1c sugar, 3/4c brown sugar, 1/2c melted butter and 1/4c veg oil. Blend in 3 eggs one at a time; add 2tsp vanilla with last egg. Add in flour/cocoa; mix until just combined; add 1/3c mini-choc chips. Spread evenly in pan. Bake at 160C, 18-20mins; cool completely. Frosting: In bowl, blend 170g cream cheese, 1c icing sugar and 1/2ts vanilla until smooth and slightly fluffy. Spread over base; chill 60mins, or longer. Add varied choice of colourful fresh fruit just before serving. If desired warm 2tbsp jam; whisk to smooth; spread over fruit with pastry brush. Cut into slices; serve immediately for best results. 

.

26 comments:

  1. There are ignoramouses everywhere you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! And they appear to be multiplying all too fast, Delores!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. The customer is not always right. If you want to taste one grape to see if the bunch is sweet, i will not begrudge it (says the person who has, on more than one occasion, bought grapes and gotten them home only to find they are unbearably tart and/or sour). Beyond that, mind your manners!

    You did a great job with that person. The others may have been wonderful people, but if they were, i want to know why they chose him as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tasted fruit before purchasing...and, not only because I always wash well, fruit and vegetables before use. Who knows where they've been or whose filthy hands have touched them. Pips put back among the cherries, or plum/apricot/peach seeds back among the fruit being prime examples!

      Thanks for coming by, messymimi. :)

      Delete
  3. Customers! We all knew well the one lady who would choose a bag of grapes or cherries and eat from it while wandering the store doing the rest of her shopping, then on arriving at the checkout, she would hand over the half- or near empty bag of grapes or cherries declaring she had changed her mind and no longer wanted to purchase them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey River..the inconsiderate actions of some really are frustratingly annoying and anger-inducing!

      There are just some things that one shouldn't do!

      Thanks for coming by. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola. :)

      Delete
  4. You have lived a wonderful and full life rich with experiences. Wow. You are tough. Well I will admit that when it comes just to grapes - I do taste one - to see if they are sweet or sour. I will think twice now! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sandie. Nope...I'm not tough...I don't believe that I am, anyway; and I know me well. :)

      I'm a big softie...but I don't abide fools, and if they act accordingly in my presence I'm not shy in telling them to pull their head in! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. There is always one who makes a fool of himself/herself on occasions. If only they knew how silly they looked!
    Never taste fruit in a shop before buying, but my husband might taste one grape and if he likes they will buy, especially as the season closes or begins.
    It annoys me when people go around eating fruit from the supermarket, we see many doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret. Some are too foolish to realise how foolish they are.

      I've never picked at fruit and eaten it from stores, either....I'd be ashamed and embarrassed if I did.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. The customer is defiitely not always right. They are sometimes offensive, and should never be allowed to get away with it. That said, the staff are also sometimes in the wrong (and should also not be allowed to get away with it). Bad habits stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, EC. One day a couple or so years ago I was served by a grump at the local Mitre 10 store...he did himself no favours. The other guys who work there are pleasant, but that particular fellow shouldn't be dealing with the public.

      Everyone else I have dealings with up here are all great. A friendly lot work up here on the hill. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Well you are SO right! We had A$$Hats in our plumbing business, as well! Butt...I refused to put up with them!
    And I guess you heard about the woman who went into a Walmart here in the states, and opened a half gallon ice cream, licked the ice cream, then popped the top back on and ran laughing out of the store with her friend...then POSTED on Facebook, what she'd done!!
    The police have now found her...!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna...I'm glad the police found her. I hope she was shamed in front of everyone...however, people like that...have no shame and no pride. They have no respect for others...or themselves.

      Sometimes, I go right off humans!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. And now...we have ANOTHER woman who's done it!!! Sick of it!

      Delete
  8. You're absolutely right about the customer not being always right.
    In my country people have lost all shame. They're past the sampling thing. They open, choose, replace contents of fruit boxes, telling everyone that with these prices they wish to bring home good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's disgraceful and disgusting, DUTA. I really don't understand what goes on in the minds of some...and I don't wish to! They have no regard for others whatsoever...and no respect for themselves.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. I saw the tennis player from Australia that you said you didn't care for...he tried to hit RAFA in the chest with a tennis ball and he admitted that he wanted to hit him! Gee, what a jerk. Perhaps he will change his ways and become a nicer person. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyrgios is a jerk, Kay. I just wish he would leave the game...he is a disgrace...to himself, his country and the game. I'm not alone in my thinking. Being a Nadal fan, I watching the match, live, (early hours of the morning here, and was so angry when that incident occurred. I was so, so happy Rafa won.

      Kyrgios' father was in the spectators/players box...one or both of his parents always are...they should hang their heads in shame, too. If that was my son...he'd only put on those disgraceful displays...once!!!

      Kyrgios is so egotistical...he has never had a coach. He needs one badly...to pull him into line...or order him out of the game!

      I wish Kyrgios and his fellow Aussie player, Tomic, the Tank Engine would both give up the game. I can't stand either of them. It pleases me no end Tomic went out in the first round of Wimbledon...and got fined $81,000.00Aus, for tanking.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Is everybody from Sydney as ignorant as that mouthy latecomer? I have often communicated with Kylie and she seems very nice but she lives in the suburbs of Sydney - not in the city itself. Here in the north of England we are always suspicious of people from London. They can often come across as big-headed, full of themselves and Londoncentric too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Yorkie. No...as I said..."there's always one in every crowd"...and he was that one!
      He had an over-inflated impression of himself...that he was better than the rest because he came from "Sydney". He, in truth, was probably a woop-woop from Woop-Woop and returned there!

      There are some, of course, who look down their noses at Queenslanders...but it's amazing how many southerners make a choice to come to the Sunshine State...not only to holiday...but to make it their home...beautiful one day...perfect the next! :)

      There are many, many very nice people in Sydney, as I am sure Kylie will confirm.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. my booth at the farmers market is close to a produce booth and I am always amazed at how folks pick through every item before they choose one, it's a wonder we don't all perish from the spreading of germs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the behaviour of some is disgraceful, Linda.

      Take good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Well done you for standing your ground - and for winning. As for the other stories I'm absolutely gobsmacked that people can be like that. I suppose I shouldn't be given some of the people who inhabit our planet but I am nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I've seen people going around tasting fruit in our local supermarkets, it strikes me as wrong to do this.

    One of our local stores sets aside fruit for children to eat as they go around with parents, complete with tissue wipes for sticky fingers.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've witnessed it all too often, Jan. Only a couple of weeks ago I said something to some old bloke who was having a free feed of grapes in our local supermarket!!

      It really, really annoys me...as you may have gathered! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete