Sunday, June 28, 2020

THE JUICY BITS...HOW SWEET THEY ARE....HOW SWEET LIFE CAN BE...IF WE LET IT BE....










The faceless, nameless “they”...they, who appear to be everywhere, often say to anyone who bothers to listen;  “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” 


The proverbial phrase is supposed to encourage optimism, positivity etc. 

(The people of the world certainly need bucket-loads of the latter, at present, particularly if some continue to act like brainless idiots.

History...the good parts, and the bad parts, can’t be erased; should not be erased; neither the good, nor the bad should be erased. What purpose would doing either, serve?

We are taught...or, at least, most of us are...from a young age...to learn from our mistakes; and, as we progress in life we should be aware enough to learn from our mistakes. It is human to make mistakes. I certainly have made more than my share of them throughout my life...and my life is not yet over.....

Also, we should continue to learn from the good we’ve done, and do, in our lives...that, too, should continue.  In my humble opinion, the above are the most sensible lessons to follow.

The ignorant fools who are...in this country, and elsewhere throughout the world...defacing statues, and/or knocking them down, are proving they have not learned a thing from history...not the good...not the bad. Those fools are too foolish...too ignorant...to realise how foolish...how ignorant they really are.  Each and every one is a joke of the highest order.  Their actions leave much to be desired...very much)


I admit openly and honestly, I haven’t always followed the rules, or phrases, or what “they” tell me to do.   Some things don’t, and won’t change.....

When life...meaning....when my little lemon tree springs into life, and shares its bounty with me...I don’t make lemonade.

Instead, I take the lazier, but healthier route.  I juice my lemons every morning along with oranges and/or other citrus fruits I have on hand at the time. I’ve written about my juicy squeezing previously...my apologies for repeating myself.  What a juicy life I lead!

My lemons aren’t lemons, though. There’s nothing defective about them.  They are perfect, yellow containers of juicy juice.

Sadly, the season is now at an end. My generous tree is preparing to have a well-earned rest until next year.  Only a couple of small, green fruit remain on its branches, ripening slowly, but surely.  Come September, as I always do each year, I’ll spread fertiliser around its base. I’ll then wait patiently (impatiently) for its next bountiful, juicy crop.  Of course, in the meantime, my fruit bowls will bear fruit, even if they don’t actually bear the fruit.  The fruit will be store-bought.  My life would be unfulfilled if it wasn’t filled with fresh fruit!

When I was a kid I never had to be forced or cajoled into eating fruit.  I’ve always loved fruit of all varieties.  Such fun it was raiding our loquat tree, which grew in one corner of our front yard, and the mulberry tree up the back.  Purple fingers and lips were always dead giveaways we’d been feasting on mulberries.  Plump red strawberries, planted by our mother, also grew in our garden when the season was right for strawberry runners to run free, and produce.

While on the subject of fruit....the mention of fruit, particularly citrus fruit has turned my thoughts to my late brother...

One Sunday when my brother, Graham was around 12 years old, he and his mate, who lived next door (whose father was one of the local Gympie cops)...had a sneaky feed of slightly under-ripe Poorman oranges, believing them to be Valencia oranges.

The lads nicked the fruit from a tree around the corner and down the road a bit...if you know what I mean!  The tree was in someone else’s backyard. 

“Stolen fruit is the sweetest!”  The fruit they gobbled wasn’t so sweet, though. Both lads ate a lot of it, too...more than their fill. Forbidden fruit is desirable, but unlawful.  The consequences for falling prey to both must be faced!

That very same night my brother was raced off to hospital to undergo an emergency operation to have his appendix removed. Eating an abundance of under-ripe, stolen, forbidden fruit had stirred things up inside him quite a bit.  The pain he felt struck hard and fast.   

An immediate appendectomy was necessary.  His inflamed appendix was disposed of, post haste.

Being the "little sister", so often I was the prey...the victim of my brother's teasing, and boyish sense of humour....put on this earth solely for his entertainment!

I made the most of the time my brother spent in hospital, incapacitated.   Finally, for once, he, the tormentor, was at my mercy; the worm had turned. ..in my favour!

Helpless, unable to escape my childish high jinks, in his infirm state, he was my captive.  How I loved making him laugh!  Acting the clown, I had so much fun.  (Hospitals, churches, meetings and other such places where one is supposed to be sombre and behave one's self do that to me).

Graham demanded Mum and Nana not bring me with them to the hospital.  I was having great enjoyment acting the fool, clowning around, making him laugh. 

What a twisted kid I was, relishing the chance to be the teaser for change.  (Perhaps I was the inspiration for the heavy metal band "Twisted Sister" to choose that name for their band!!)

Because of his sore stomach, it hurt Graham when he laughed.  For a brief moment in time when my wounded, bed-ridden big brother couldn’t retaliate, the shoes were on the other feet...mine!  He was my prisoner!  I had the upper-hand.  I was only trying to lighten things up a bit...brighten the sterile, hospital atmosphere!

Aware my time being in control was limited, being able to be the circus clown for a change I made the most of my ‘window’...I made hay while the sun shone, and when the hospital lights were on, too.   

Before long, however, he was once again fit and ready to be the boss on the battlefield of our backyard!   

The bows and arrows were taut and ready; broomstick horses grazed, eager for the charge to begin; the wagons were circled; water pistols were loaded.

Every time I drive to and from our local supermarket I pass by the area where my brother’s ashes were spread..  

Each time I pass by the area that looks down to the valley below and across to the western range, I acknowledge my brother...my loss...and the love I still feel for him...along with the same feelings, emotions, for our late mother and grandmother.  

We were the Four Musketeers.  Together, we faced many hurdles...some were won...some were lost...  

Memories remain...


The curtain is slowly descending on the dying day
Proudly the sun bows giving an encore display
Its cloak of many colours whetting our appetite
As it languishes after a spectacle of brightness
How rapidly the hue changes as we gasp in awe
From blue to grey, merging gently into purple
Tinges of pink, flashes of crimson and orange
A potpourri of colour unable to be recaptured

Birds in final flight safely wend their way to nest
Tools laid to rest men tread wearily on their way
Home before the departure of the fiery gilded orb
A prelude to darkness encompasses land and sea
Afterglow openly teases as we grasp the remnant
Of the dying day in readiness of what lies ahead
Suddenly\engulfed in stillness in sombre light
Moment's depression witnessing a farewell salute
 
Day is replaced as the heavens magicallycome alive
Sparkling phosphorescence dancing gaily above
Quietness descends as the mysteries of night unfold
Thoughts of the past, present, of what may lay ahead
Envelop final lingering moments as sleep takes hold
A new day awaits backstage hidden behind the drapes
Adventures to explore some unknown some the same
Beginning afresh shared with players in Life's game 

 

Steamed Orange Pudding: Grease an 8 cup-capacity metal pudding steamer; line base with baking paper. Using electric mixer beat 185g softened butter, 3/4c caster sugar and 2tsp finely grated orange rind until light and fluffy. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating to combine. Sift 1-1/2c S.R. flour over mixture; add 1/2c milk. Fold until just combined. Spoon mixture into steamer. Smooth top. Secure lid. Place in large saucepan. Carefully pour boiling water into pan until halfway up side of steamer. Cover pan. Place over med-heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 1-1/2hrs’ top up with boiling water when necessary. Make syrup:  Combine 1/4c orange juice and 1/2c caster sugar in saucepan over med-heat. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves (do not boil); then bring to the boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer until thick and syrupy. Remove from heat. Add orange segments from 2 peeled oranges. Remove pan from heat. Carefully lift steamer from water; stand 10mins. Turn onto a plate; spoon over syrup. Serve with cream.

Lemon Roasted Garlic Spinach Dip: Preheat oven 175C. Squeeze excess moisture from 400g thawed spinach. In pan heat 1tbs olive oil; warm 1 head roasted garlic (about 8 cloves) and lemon wedges from half a lemon (wedge half; slice other half). Cook gently until garlic is soft and warm and lemon is breaking down into very soft pieces. In bowl mix 1/c sour cream, 240g cream cheese, 155g Laughing Cow cheese or other soft cheese and 1/3c grated parmesan; add 1tsp smoked paprika, 1/2c mozzarella and 1/2c gouda. Fold in  roasted garlic and spinach. Place in an ovenproof dish; top with 1/c shredded mozzarella, 1/2c shredded gouda, lemon slices and fresh thyme leaves. Bake until topping is golden, about 20mins.  



23 comments:

  1. We had a lemon tree for a few years when first we moved to Florida. The blossoms filled the garden with their beautiful scent. But one winter the temps were colder and for longer than usual and our lemon tree curled up and died. It was so nice while it lasted to be able to step out and pick my own lemons! Sad to lose those you love, glad you have your memories.
    That lemon garlic and spinach dip sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Molly...how lovely it is to "see" you. I hope all is well with you and yours...make sure it stays that way. :)

      I love lemons...even as a kid I loved them. My tree is only a little tree, but it sure is a big producer!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:21 PM

    A bit sad but also sweet, sweeter than lemons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is too often sad, unfortunately, Andrew...but we must try to dwell on the happy, more than the sad. :)

      One way to upset a trumpet player is to suck on a lemon in front of him when he's playing....trying to play...his trumpet!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with everything you said about history, it shouldn't be erased, but learned from instead. Sadly, we don't seem to do that very well, repeating the same mistakes over and over with each generation needing to make its own 'wars" or other troubles.
    I love fruit too, but I'm a bit more particular. I eat a reasonable variety, but there are some things I don't like and some things, like citrus, that give me hives. I can cook with citrus, I make a dessert called Orange Fluff with orange juice and a Lemon Chiffon cake that's so light and so delicious, with lemon juice (and 8 eggs!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, River. Humans will never learn...they prove it over and over and over again.

      Fortunately...I like all fruit...and all fruit likes me back. Your desert and cake sound delicious! That cake would be so light...yum!!!

      Take good care, my friend...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. History cannot/should not be erased. Just the same to 'celebrate' some pieces of it seems insensitive to me. I would much rather learn from it.
    Like you I am a big, big fan of fruit. In years gone by I have eaten an excess of very sweet stolen fruit - but still retain my appendix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, EC....honouring can be learning...if the lessons are taught correctly...and taken note of...heeded...the good, and the bad. We, today are not responsible for the sins committed in the past. But we should be responsible for seeing they're not repeated.

      I, too, still have my appendix! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take care. I hope Jazz is still taking forward steps...and none in the opposite direction. :)

      Delete
  5. I was very amused by your taunting of your brother in hospital by making him laugh. I had a ladyfriend who was a nursing sister and one of the happiest, jolliest people I have ever known. When she had her appendix out (in the '60s - date not age!) I was told on no account to make her laugh and being the good person I was I tried not to. However my very appearance made her clutch her side as she stifled a laugh. I was never sure whether that was a Good Thing or a Bad Thing.

    I've read the poem three times so far. I shall have to come back to it. It's very deep for breakfast time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham. Your comment has made me laugh. I'm glad I'm not the only evil one who makes bedridden patients laugh...in agony! lol

      I hope my poem didn't give you indigestion!!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely words in your 'memories' there Lee.
    Bitten off finger nails often went into the appendix I believe, well that is what I was told by Doctors who used to give us our lectures - maybe they were kidding!
    Love lemons, the only person in this house that does and often use the juice in cooking but they can't tell if I don't over do it :)
    Fruit we love and eat heaps more in summer than winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Margaret.

      Chewed off finger nails and stolen, sour fruit cause eruptions and removal!! lol

      My eating of fruit continues along the same quantity throughout the year. I'd be lost without it.

      Take care....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm never without lemons at home. I use them in the kitchen and for a sore throat in winter( I squeeze the lemon and drink its juice undiluted; it works).
    I like your poem about the dying day. It well displays your poetic talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA....Lemons are delicious...they always give such a feeling of cleansing, and good health. I don't dilute the juice, either...only when I've added it to freshly squeezed oranges, and/or grapefruit.

      Thanks for coming by, and for your kind words...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. I would love to have a lemon tree, but I don’t live in the right climate for one. My granddaughter had some luck with one indoors and got some lemons for two years. It never made it to year three.

    Brothers love to tease their sisters. My brother did it to me and my son did it to his three sisters. Now all grown up and middle aged, he still can’t help himself and finds ways to needle them all the time. They still laugh at him and love him to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Arleen...This little tree of mine has been treating for around 12 years or so. I apread fertiliser around its base in early spring...each year...in thanks. :)

      Yep! Brothers are born with a special tease gene. They just can't help themselves...they have to tease their sisters!!!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. We should not erase history. We should teach it...the good parts and the bad parts and maybe we would not erect statues (outside of museums) to bad people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor..I agree, history should be taught...and learned...and not twisted, and finctionalised to suit some.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. The statues need to go in museums where we teach people why they are there and say "never again."

    Love the memories of your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi....Oh, the idiots would find a way to deface statues in museums, too. I can see no harm in statues being out in the public domain. It's just my opinion. I understand opinions of others can be different.

      Big brother was a big tease! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. Lemons! We had a lemon tree that thought it belonged in Sequoia. So many lemons. Our neighbors were told to take them.

    Brothers, sigh. My 3 made my life miserable. But when we became adults, it was different.

    The defacers are terrorists. Where is the nat'l guard when they are needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan...my little lemon tree is a prolific producer. I admit I am very selfish with my lemons...keeping them all to myself! :)

      Brothers sure can be bothers! lol

      I agree with your assessment of the defacers, Susan. Ignorance and stupidity are dangerous things!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  12. History cannot and should not be erased.
    I only wish we would learn more from it.

    Take care and keep smiling.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete