Tuesday, December 22, 2020

WAITING TO EXHALE WHILE WAITING FOR GODOT...

 





The above title could be the theme for 2020, but don’t despair...it has been said often, and will continue being said...”good things come to those who wait”.  

Vladimir and Estragon (that’s “Estragon” not “estrogen”), the two main characters in Samuel Beckett’s play, “Waiting for Godot”, waited for Godot to arrive, but Godot failed to do so. He didn’t even send a note of apology.  

Most of us, I’m sure, are waiting for 2020 to hurry up and come to an end, and for 2021 to arrive.  If there is a light at the end of what seems to be an endless tunnel, it’s the hope 2021 will be a better year.  We’ve been waiting and waiting for something to brighten and lighten the scene...for something good to happen. 

Around the next corner it could be...maybe accompanied by Godot...maybe not....

Even if it is difficult to find, there is a bridge over troubled waters. To reach the other side we just have to walk across the bridge, carefully taking one step at a time.  Unlike that legendary chicken we keep hearing about, we’ll know why we crossed the bridge. Don’t walk too close to the guard rail, though. If you do, you might fall into the troubled waters.  Remember your freestyle stroke if you fall. Promptly start swimming. Either that, or flip onto your back...float and go with the flow.  You’ll end up hitting the bank somewhere along the way. I don’t mean the Westpac, NBA, ANZ etc.

A loud, long collective sigh is needed.  People everywhere throughout the world deserve a break.

By a ‘break’ I don’t mean a vacation. 

To quote a joke...”I told my luggage we weren’t going on a holiday this Festive Season...now I have emotional baggage.

All I want for Christmas is...no, not my two front teeth....I’ve already got those...they are portable. What I want for Christmas is peace, goodwill, commonsense, consideration, thoughtfulness and happiness to sweep the world like an out of control pandemic extinguishing negativity, nastiness, selfishness, prejudice and hate.  No vaccine required.

Once again I thank everyone who shared his/her smiles and kindness with me throughout 2020.  I could list names, but there isn’t enough room to list every name. In truth, I don’t know everyone’s name, but I do know the generosity of spirit and the thoughtfulness shown by many is sincerely appreciated.  Good folk live up here on our mountain.

The IGA crew who are always friendly and good-humoured continued to make my shopping expeditions pleasant experiences.  They are to be commended, as are Gavin, Jan, Brooke, Shannon, Michelle and Barbara at the newsagency.  We are fortunate to be surrounded by wonderful people in local businesses of various kinds...thank you.  Special thanks, also, to Barry, who went above and beyond; and to Russell who, very generously reached out and lent me his ear one day in an IGA aisle.  (I returned his ear, in case you’re wondering).  Also, I thank Jimmy and Morven who always make me happy when I see them.

Thanks to postman Michael, and the couriers, Jay and the other cheerful gentleman, whose name I must get one of these days. Without fail, they catch me when I’m immaculately presented at my most fashionable, stylish best, with not a hair out of place.   *cough*

I hope everybody’s Christmas stockings are filled to overflowing with love, good health, fun and happiness.

When 2021 arrives, it’ll be like Godot finally decided to turn up!  

Stay safe.  Be cool...be kind...be sensitive to the situations and feelings of others. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  May only good come a-knocking...open your heart, and let it in....

 

Christmas Prawn Salad: Cook 300g penne pasta al dente. Refresh under cold water; drain. Dressing; whisk together 2/3c sour cream, 1-1/2tbs tomato sauce, 1tbs lemon juice and 3tsp Worcestershire sauce in bowl. Arrange cold pasta, 1kg cooked, peeled, deveined prawns, tails intact, 1 halved, thinly sliced Lebanese cucumber, 1 thinly sliced avocado, 60g baby leaf salad mix,1 bunch finely chopped chives, 1/4c small mint leaves and 2tbs coarsely chopped dill on a platter; season. Drizzle over dressing; scatter with extra dill; serve with lemon wedges.

Mango-Blueberry Christmas Trifle: Peel and slice 2 mangoes. Wash and drain 2 punnets blueberries. Into serving bowl place a layer of sponge cake or panettone slices. Sprinkle over some Marsala or sherry.  Have 500ml of vanilla custard on hand. Spread a layer of custard, then fruits over sponge. Continue layers; finish with fruit; reserving some for the top.  Chill several hours or overnight. Before serving, cover fruit with 150ml whipped cream.  

 

 


 

 

26 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas to you too Lee. We unfortunately have Brexit consequences finally hitting us from Jan 1, 2021, although since apparently the majority of people wanted it, they may be happy. ?? But most of us are working on cherishing what we have which is good in our lives. I've been watching a wonderful series called The Peoples Century which has eye witnesses to major events in the whole 20th century, my goodness, life in England in 2020 is better than such a lot of that. Onward and upward is indeed the motto, and Happy 2021 to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jenny...nice to see you. Each and everyone of us has to do the best we can to remember and hold onto what is good in our lives. Too often we forget, to our own detriment.

      I'll have to have a look at that series. It does sound very interesting.

      A very Merry Christmas to you...I hope you have a wonderful Festive Season shared with your loved ones. Take good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I do hope that blessed blogger will allow me to comment this time. I would be more than happy for a kindness pandemic to sweep the world (but won't hold my breath waiting for it or Godot).
    I hope you and the furry overlords have a cool and peaceful Christmas - and here's hoping for a much more positive New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, EC...how great it would be...but I shan't be holding my breath, either.

      My very best wishes of the Season to you and the Small One, and your furry one... :)

      Take good care and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Lee...you have me smiling each time I visit and read your funny/ humorous/ insightful posts. You have a way of pointing out the good in life that we often take for granted and forget to be thankful for. Thank you.
    Normally I’m a bit ho hum over moving from one year to the next but.....I’m feeling a bit tired and weary at the moment and I can’t wait to see the back of 2020!
    My love to you and your delightful feline friends.....I’ll ‘see’ you in 2021. Bigger and Better...it betta be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Cathy. It sure has been a weird year. I relate to your "feeling a bit tired and weary at the moment"...you're not alone there. It's difficult to get excited about anything much at present. I'm laying low through the Festive Season...by choice. Just me and my two furry mates...the three of us being lazy, and feeling no guilt about feeling that way! :)

      Take good care....keep your chin up....Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones...thanks for coming by...and I look forward to seeing you in 2021! :)

      Delete
  4. Lee, this could not have been said better..."What I want for Christmas is peace, goodwill, commonsense, consideration, thoughtfulness and happiness to sweep the world like an out of control pandemic extinguishing negativity, nastiness, selfishness, prejudice and hate. No vaccine required." I desperately want the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie...I hope our wish comes true...I wish our wish would come true.

      My very best wishes to you, Annie...and to your loved ones for a very Merry Christmas. Enjoy your time spent with your loved ones. Take good care.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. What a warm, wonderful post.
    Happy Holidays, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra...thank you for coming by...a very Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Lee, I thought I would pop in and check what recipes you had this year for Christmas. Prawns are always a big hit in our climate aren't they? I am so pleased to read of the community spirit that surrounds you. Have a lovely day tomorrow Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Carol...The locals up here "on the hill" are a most pleasant, friendly lot. It's a nice place to live.

      I'll be having prawns on Christmas Day...these days I find it is far to hot to have a huge hot lunch...once upon a time, but no longer for me.

      Thanks for coming by...a very Merry Christmas to you...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!♥♥♥
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandie...and the same to you and your loved ones....take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your sweet furry mates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Bonnie...all the very best to you and your loved ones. I hope you and Tom have a very Merry Christmas...and may 2012 be kind to you all.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. May kindness, compassion, and respect rule this next year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Bonnie...I hope they do...and I hope they continue through into the New Year and beyond.

      A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. I hope you all have a joyous time...take good care, and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I also hope 2021 will be much better, while realising it won't be immediate. We can't wake up on January 1st to a plague free world, but maybe sooner than we all hope, it will happen.
    Merry Christmas to you and also to Remy and Shama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, River...Hopefully everything will settle down soon...slowly and carefully does it, I think.

      I wish you all the very best for Christmas and for the New Year. I hope 2021 treats you kindly, and generously.

      Take good care...Remy and Shama miaow their best wishes to you and Lola...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Best wishes to you as well, Lee, for a happy holiday because while different there is also much thankfulness, especially for technology that can keep us connected while distanced. Thanks for your blog visits and comments, always much appreciated. The recipes here looked so good and thankfully I've already eaten or would be hungry for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Beatrice. I'm a loner...and I have no family so nothing much, if anything, has changed for me. I spent Christmas Day very quietly with my two furry mates (similar is happening today(. I/we...had a load of lovely prawns to feast upon...and, also, for me...I've a pile of seasonal fruits, cake, mince tarts, Liquorice Allsorts and liquorice and chocolate to fill in the gaps! :)

      I've been reading, snoozing and bingeing, not only on the above, but on various series on streaming services.

      I enjoy my visits to your blog. I hope you're having a lovely Christmas...take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. The salad and the trifle look good :)

    Sending my good wishes for a happy and healthy 2021.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my best wishes in return to you, Jan...I hope 2021 treats you and your loved ones kindly and generously...thanks for coming by. Take good care. :)

      Delete
  13. The eyes of us all are set in the direction of year 2021. It has to be a better year, a year that would make us forget 2020's trauma of covid-19.
    Wishing you the very Best in 2021, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DUTA...we must all be positive, and sweep negativity out the door, never to be seen or felt again.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care...all the very best wishes to you for 2021. :)

      Delete