Sunday, January 03, 2021

TICK-TOCK....TICK-TOCK....AS TIME GOES BY...

 





The sands of time ran out on 2020.   2020 roared by with a loud roar, and down the gurgler it went.  With the New Year under way, there’s something important everyone must remember. It’s important to start a new year off with a positive attitude.  Equally important is to continue the attitude throughout the rest of the year.  I hope 2021 treats everyone kindly.  Gently, gently does it...one day at a time. 

100 years ago... 1921, if you’re counting on your fingers...saw the end of the Spanish Flu.  History does repeat itself, so we’ve been told...I’m sure we’re all hoping similar occurs within the next few months, if not sooner....

By choice, I spent the Festive Season quietly and contentedly with my two best mates, who, like me, are indoor cats (I do sneak out once in a while...they don’t).   

As done in the past, I attended my landlords’ annual Christmas party on the Tuesday night prior to Christmas Day.  The evening was very pleasant.  I spent most of the time chatting with a lovely elderly, 92 year old gentleman.  The majority of the people in attendance I see only once a year...at that particular annual get-together.  The faces are familiar, but in many cases, not the names.  I’m pretty sure no one takes offence when offering their name for the hundredth time!   

Christmas Day, Boxing Day and at New Year my furry friends and I feasted on delicious king prawns – Aussie, of course, as we enjoyed each other's company.  My time was spent on reading, snoozing, crosswords, bingeing on favoured series and movies, snoozing, reading, snoozing, crosswords, bingeing on favoured series and movies...ad infinitum....Their time was spent on snoozing....

My furry mates were happy with their gifts.  I was happy with the gift of their presence.  

We Three Musketeers have shared 18 Christmases and New Year’s Eves.  They know the words to “Auld Lang Syne” off by heart.  We link hands and paws as they miaow along with me (I don’t miaow...I sing) at midnight every 31st December.  Carried away in the mood of the moment, they drown me out.  Shama is a coloratura soprano; Remy a lyric tenor. Well, Adele can relax.....as yet, I’m no threat!

2020 was a doozy of a year, wasn’t it?   It threw everything, including the kitchen sink, at us.  A year filled with sadness and concern, it dragged out every moment, but, oddly, the year flew by at a rapid rate of knots. Has the pace picked up now I am an old you-know what?  When I was many years younger than I am now, 12 months took much longer to pass by....or so it seemed.  Now, within a blink or two a year has passed by.

So here we are....having taken our first few steps, or strides, into January, 2021.   

Let’s make “empathy” an operative word for 2021... Let’s add “commonsense”, “kindness”, “good-humour”, and “solicitude” as well...

 

BBQ Prawns: Peel and de-vein 800g Aussie king prawns; leave tails intact. Mince 1tbs each fresh parsley, thyme, coriander and shallots; crush 3 large garlic cloves. Combine ½ melted butter, 1/4c x-virgin olive oil, 3tbs lemon juice, salt and black pepper.  Add prawns; marinate at room temp, 15mins, or in fridge, 30mins (no longer, or prawns will go mushy). Remove prawns from marinade; discard marinade. Thread prawns on thin skewers; grill on barbie until just opaque, about 2mins per side. Line platter with fresh spinach leaves; arrange skewers on platter; garnish with lemon.

Salsa Verde BBQ Prawns: Preheat bbq to high. Place 1/2c each, roughly chopped mint and Italian parsley in bowl with 1/2c finely chopped pitted green olives, 2 finely chopped garlic cloves, 2 finely chopped anchovy fillets, 2tbs finely chopped toasted slivered almonds, and 1tbs salted baby capers; add 125ml x-virgin olive oil, zest and juice of 2 lemons; gently whisk to combine; season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle 2tsp oil over a pile of peeled green king prawns, season; toss to coat. Cook 2mins each side on grill or until lightly charred and just cooked. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm. Brush 2 red onions cut into wedges, 2 quartered lengthwise witlof (or Cos) and 180g thickly sliced haloumi with 2 tsp x-virgin olive oil; season; cook on grill 2mins each side or until lightly charred. Transfer to plate. Arrange onions, witlof, haloumi, prawns and watercress on a platter. Drizzle with salsa verde to serve.

 

 


28 comments:

  1. I am really, really hoping that a pandemic of kindness (with no vaccine) replaces the current one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, EC. We have to care about each other, no matter what our differences may be...we are all in this together...in this life, this world...the act of living...together.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping this year will see the end of the pandemic, as well as the end of such stupidities as racism, and boxing day sales. Indeed, any of those sales that have people rushing to a store in their thousands, pushing, shoving, screaming and fighting to get a "bargain" they probably don't even need. I hope to see governments doing more for the people and less for their own wallets.
    It's been a good many years since I had barbecued prawns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, River...I agree with all that you say...spot on, my dear!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. I love your description of time spent with Shama and Remy! We have all been through one heck of a year. I am hoping we will see improvement in 2021, even at just one day at a time. Take care dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Bonnie...a fresh leaf in the Book of Life has been turned...let's hope the story is far better for 2021, than it was for 2020.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. Well, here in my neck of the woods, things are getting worse, before they'll hopefully get better; lots of infected, many actively ill with the virus.
    For 2021 to be a good year, we'll have to change our attitude to nature surrounding us, and to our fellowmen. It's possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...too many people believe they are bullet-proof, and that certain conditions and rules don't apply to them...to the detriment of others. unfortunately. Hopefully, common sense and consideration of others and not just one's own self will prevail...and win during 2021.

      My very best wishes to you and your loved ones for 2021...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. And there just when we thought it was safe to come out of our little dens - Boom - it blew up in our faces again!

    All we can do it sit and wait it out - that little clock will go tick tick tick whether we like it or not. Kinder, more generous more caring less aggressive....oh the list goes on
    Happy New Year to you and your furry companions up there on the mountain. Have you had much rain or is your little corner still in drought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Cathy...perhaps after this confusing time is over some people will discover their own company is not so bad after all.

      Over the past few weeks, we've had some lovely rain with more predicted. We've not been affected by drought...not a lot of rain received during winter...but we managed to hold our own, so to speak.

      I wish you and your loved ones all the very best for 2021...I hope it treats you kindly...take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. We can al, hope for a better and happier new year, Lee, but as you so correctly said kindness, common sense and humor are also important and sadly there are many for whom those are becoming in short supply. We also celebrated the end of 2020 in solitude, but not unhappily so and all was well with us and glad to read with you as well. Thank you for your visits and comments on my blog this past year, all were much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Beatrice...It's been a pleasure visiting your blog...a pleasure I shall continue with pleasure. :)

      My best wishes to you and your loved ones for 2021...I hope the coming year, and those thereafter, treat you kindly. Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. A very insightful post. As you implied is it not equally important to start off every day with a positive attitude? "I was happy with the gift of their presence." I shall remember and use/adapt that sentence. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Graham...yes, it is most important to start every day with a positive attitude...that's what I meant by continuing the attitude throughout the year. Sometimes it is difficult to achieve...each day...but try we must, not only for our own sake, bur for the sake of others. I don't always follow what I've said above...so it's a good reminder for me to try to do so. I know I won't always succeed.

      Take good care...my best wishes to you for 2021...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. well said. like Graham, i find this meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. The past year was a difficult year for many, many people throughout the world...let's hope 2021 does not mimic it.

      Best wishes to you for 2021...take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Hoping for kindness, compassion and respect to be the order of the year. Happy 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi....may the new year brings you and your family all that is good in life...I wish you and your loved ones a happy, healthy, loving 2021. Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed your first 2021 post, Lee. A thoughtful message delivered with your usual flair and good humour. I feel the kindness message has been a bit overdone, the message not the act. Time to start doing, rather than talking about it, I think. I join messymimi in hoping for compassion and respect for the new year. And hoping you stay safe and happy into the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Pauline. There are many acts of kindness, but unfortunately they don't receive the coverage the acts of violence, greed and disregard do. Many who perform kind acts don't talk about them, nor do they desire the accolades....they are the quiet achievers...the quiet doers.

      I hope all is well with you over there across The Ditch. Take good care...I wish you the very best for 2021. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. I choose "Kindness and Good-Humor" as my words for 2021. Your landlord has an annual Christmas Party? I have never heard of such a thing. Most landlords don't want their tenants around them ever much less at the holiday seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Annie.

      The little cabin I rent is on a couple of acres of land, Annie...my humble little abode is down one end of the property, and the landlords' home is up the other end. I usually only see them once a month (my choice) to pay my rent. All other times, where and when possible, I keep to myself. Come this April, I will have lived here 19 years! As I said in my post....time certainly does fly!!!

      My very best wishes to you and your family for 2021...I hope the year treats you kindly. Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. We Nashville natives awoke to a bombing in 2nd Ave downtown on Christmas Day. Only the bomber went up in smoke but now for the rebuild. 41 businesses were hurt along with AT&T site that is the 3rd biggest co in the south. East Nashville has not recover from the tornado in March and the pandemic has created havoc. Therefore, we here in Nashville were very happy to see 2020 in our rear view mirror. We New Years in a sheet sandwich watching the ball drop in New York and then finished it off with Music City show. After a happy new year kiss, off to sleep we headed with Lilly kitty on my left and Margie in the middle. Bless Margies heart she was terrified of the fire works going off in the valley below. We all slept in New Years Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Lady Di...Yes...the Nashville bombing was all over our news bulletins here. It is fortunate Warner, the bomber, was the only one to die in the explosion. Why he didn't just put a bullet in his head, instead of causing injuries to others and all the damage to the surrounding area, one will never know, or understand.

      It sounds like you had a most enjoyable, relaxed New Year's Eve. I slept in on New Year's Day, too...and every morning since! :)

      All the very best to you and your loved ones for 2021...take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. The prawns look especially inviting. On our eating program they're "free", which means you don't have to count them against your daily calorie intake. Great for the New Year.

    I do hope that 2021 is a better year but it has started out not so great as our youngest grandson, who was visiting here at the time, had to be taken to the emergency room at the hospital on Jan. 2. Turns out he had a bowel blockage which required a few painful procedures to clear. Poor little guy.

    So you can have holiday parties down under there? Lucky you. The police have been breaking up gatherings like that in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your little grandson, Dave...I hope he's well on the mend by now, the poor little guy.

      Up to 50 people were allowed at home here in Queensland gatherings at the time, Dave. And, the status quo remains, for now. Different conditions apply in other states.

      My very best wishes to you and your family for 2021...and my very best to the little guy. Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Sending my thoughts and good wishes to you for 2021...
    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. TODAY I GOT MY DESIRED XMAS LOAN AMOUNT $520,000.00 FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY. IF YOU NEED A LOAN NOW EMAIL CONTACT drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE(drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan. So feel free to contact Dr. Benjamin Owen he holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly without cost/stress via Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Consider all your financial problems tackled and solved ASAP. Share this to help a soul right now THANKS.

    ReplyDelete