Sunday, January 24, 2021

YOO-HOO, YOUSE ALL! AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE! OI! OI! OI! G’DAY, MATES!

 

 

 
 
 





Put your laughing gear around this.  It’s Australia Day, 26th January, once again.

Whether you are one of the 25% who disagree with the date and want it altered, or not, enjoy the day...let's Aussies enjoy and love our country...Australia.   

You can bet your bottom dollar if the date is changed there will still be some who won’t like the chosen new date. We don’t all agree with each other all the time, on all things, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be civil, or friends.  In a democratic society one is allowed to be an individual – free to be an individual...to have one’s own individual thoughts and beliefs.

What I believe, you may not...but that doesn’t make you my enemy or me, yours....I'm just sayin', cobber!

However, enough of that...as far as I’m concerned, we’ve had enough discord lately, everywhere we look...here, there and everywhere...

I’m still a “Happy Little Vegemite”...and, unlike some others, I like to load my toast with lashings of Vegemite...no faint, light-handed spreading of the spread for me.  See...my individual choice, and taste...

Also, throughout my childhood in the late 40s through the 50s, Peanut Paste was what we/I called “Peanut Paste”...never did we/I call it “Peanut Butter”.  So through The Noughties I shall continue to be naughty. and shall continue referring to the peanut spread as,  “Peanut Paste”. 

Old habits...and tastes are hard to break...I have no intention of breaking these ones.... Forget the ‘spoonfuls of sugar”....just allow me to have spoonfuls of Peanut Paste!

https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/peanut-butter-ban/

The term has been used in rural Queensland, Australia, as a synonym for peanut butter. This followed pressure from dairy farmers who did not want peanut butter competing with butter for market share.

The product was known in Western Australia and South Australia for many years as peanut paste because, by definition, butter is a dairy product. The same product was available in other states as peanut butter. Manufacturers complained about having to produce different labels for different states and the Western Australian government changed the rules on the use of the word butter to allow for one set of labels.

Every day is Australia Day...for example...a day in 1992...

In a quaint little Suzuki 4WD, with just me for company, I was driving along the 119km winding dirt track between Collinsville and Glenden, up in the Bowen Basin.  There was not another soul within cooee.  

 In a world of my own, listening to the car radio, I trundled along happily.  As I rounded a bend, I got the shock of my life when I found myself eye to eye with an emu at my driver’s side window. It looked at me in equal wide-eyed surprise.  The emu’s head was level with mine. True blue! 

I’m not sure who received the biggest shock, the emu or me!  By the look on its face before taking off at break-neck speed across the nearest paddock, the long-legged bird hadn’t expected its solitude to be rudely interrupted, either.  He’d probably been listening to John Williamson’s “Old Man Emu” on his Walkman!

After pulling into the Emu Beach Holiday Park at Emu Park, a small coastal town south-east of Rockhampton, Central Queensland aka Capricorn Coast, during a trip north with my then husband, Randall back in the early 80s, the first thing I did, as I always did when checking into the various caravan parks, was head off to inspect the ablutions’ block.   (I have written about this particular episode in an earlier post...) 

Upon exiting the building I received a hell of a surprise.  Waiting for me at the doorway was a group...six or eight....of very curious emus.  The long-necked critters were very keen to learn everything and anything they could about me and my travels! 

Over at our campsite Randall was looking on laughing his head off.  He’d been eagerly awaiting my reaction when I came face to face with the group of the world’s second largest living birds...the inquisitive throng of Australia’s largest native birds, which was waiting for me to exit the building!  (I don’t qualify as Aussie’s largest bird...the emu beats me legs down...or up!)

Eungella National Park west of Mackay is an area worth visiting, not only for its beauty but for the numerous animal species who call the area “home”.  

Included among the many rare and unusual creatures is a most unique animal...unique to Australia...the platypus.   

The drive through the Pioneer Valley up to Eungella, high on the Clarke Range is one worth taking.  During one of my visit to the beautiful area when I was living and working in Mackay in early 1998, I had the good fortune to spot a platypus in the waters of Broken River, Eungella National Park. Such pretty, shy little animals they are.

Where but in Australia can one be enjoying a leisurely lunch only to be interrupted by a kangaroo trying to snatch a ring off one’s finger?  Cape Hillsborough Resort is where!   

I was enjoying a pleasant lunch with a friend, when, unawares to me, a huge roo sauntered up behind me. The ill-mannered roo took a fancy to a ring on my right hand.  He was determined to have it, the cheeky devil!   You can imagine my surprise, I am sure, when I felt a tug at my hand!

The roos at Cape Hillsborough are massive and many, with no table manners!  They think they own the place. They are not to be messed with. 

The wallabies on Hinchinbrook Island believed the resort’s dining area was theirs.  There are no kangaroos on Hinchinbrook Island, but the wallaby population make up for their absence.

Mr. B, the Wallaby was the leader of the pack.  He had balls, even if he only had one. He lost a ball in an argument with a car on the highway at Cardwell when he was a joey still in his mother’s pouch.  He didn't go nuts over the loss, though.  After losing his mother, and his ball, Mr. B had a ball living on the island.  

Mr. B was a star of stage and screen...literally.  At one point in his career he'd been flown to Melbourne to appear (star) on a national television variety show!

Only in Australia...any day of the year....anywhere....

Vegemite-Cheese Scrolls: Pre-heat oven to 220C. Sift 3c self-raising flour and pinch salt into bowl. Rub in 50g cold butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Using 1-1/2c milk, stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.  Knead on lightly-floured surface. Roll to form a rectangle, roughly 40cmx25cm.  Spread vegemite over the dough using flat knife.  Sprinkle over 1c grated cheese. Roll up dough starting from long side first. Cut 10x4cm pieces from the roll. Place pieces close together, cut side up, on a greased baking tray.  Sprinkle grated cheese over top. Bake 10-15mins, or until golden.

Peanut Paste Crunchies: Preheat the oven 200 C.  Cream 1/2c white sugar and 1/2c firmly packed light brown sugar with 1/2c butter and 1/2c crunchy peanut paste until light and fluffy.  Beat 1 large egg and 1/2tsp vanilla extract into the mixture until smooth and well blended.  In separate bowl, combine 1-1/2c plain flour, 1/2tsp salt and 1/2tsp baking soda.  Gradually, blend flour mixture into creamed ingredients.  Using lightly floured hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls; place balls 2-inches apart on paper-line baking tray.  Dip a fork in flour each time and press on balls.  Dust each flattened ball with additional white sugar, if desired.  Bake for about 7mins, or until lightly browned around edges.

 








33 comments:

  1. As you know I belong to the group who would love to see this particular date changed.
    I love the idea of celebrating our country, but long for the day it can be done in a much more inclusive way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, EC...I think the date is inclusive...it is just that some choose to make it not so. As I wrote...can't please everybody...there will always be dissent, no matter what the date.

      Once again we in this little dead-end lane and the one that runs parallel will be having an Aussie Day get-together, in the street, tomorrow afternoon. They're always enjoyable little soirees.

      Take good care. I hope the heat disappears and rain falls down your way...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I presume you kept your ring and what a surprise re the roo.
    Australia Day is the date and day it is for me - I don't have a problem with it but many do..
    Peanut butter down here, didn't know it was called anything else. However, Queensland say different for sandwiches than we do - can't recall what it is :)..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Margaret...the date suits me fine, too. I've no problem with the current date. It's a case of can't please all the people all the time...if ever, I think.

      It's always been "sandwich" as far as I know, Margaret...but if you can remember otherwise, I'm keen to know! lol

      Take good care...thanks for coming by... :)

      Delete
    2. When I lived in Queensland a sandwich was a sandwich, except for those who said "sanga's"
      Vegemite sanga, cheese sanga, and so on.

      Delete
  3. I was unaware of the controversy over Australia Day until I just now looked it up. I guess I will say enjoy your celebrations to those that do celebrate this date. The truly important thing is the pride and love you have for your beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Bonnie. There is always controversy over one thing or the other. People are never happy, which is a pity.

      As we've been doing in the past few years on Australia Day, those of us who live in this short, dead-end lane, and the one that runs parallel to it are having a get-together tomorrow afternoon...in the street...to enjoy the afternoon with a couple of drinks and nibblies. They are always pleasant gatherings of just a few folk...most of whom I only see once a year at the little party! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. I hope all is well. :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to wonderful Australia on Her big Day!
    There's an advice which suits everything, even the date of Australia Day, or the name peanut butter/paste: Let's agree to disagree"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DUTA...Australia is a wonderful country and those of us lucky enough to live here, and call Australia "home" must never lose sight of that fact.

      Goodness! My two cats even disagree with me at times...and I with them! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Australia Day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Australia Day, Lee. Hope you enjoy your street party.

    I still say Peanut Paste to the confusion of many and the amusement of my children.

    I didn't realise you and I were in the same part of the world at the same time. I was in Proserpine in 98 and, of course, visited Eungella and Cape Hillsborough, also. I don't remember anyone being molested by a roo so must have been there another day.

    I still sing, "I'm a happy little vegemite" to my grandchildren. Best ad ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! Hey there, Pauline! There are some large roos around Cape Hillsborough. They are to be respected! :) Both Hillsborough and Eungella are lovely areas....the old chalet still stands looking down across the Pioneer Valley. I was living in Mackay...managing a motel for a short while prior to moving back down to south-east Queensland. I made the move because I'd had my ill brother transferred to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane...and I wanted to be closer to him. He passed away in the June of 1998.

      I was going to put up the video of "I'm a Happy Little Vegemite" on this post...I found the video, but forgot to post it.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your Australia Day, and for those who don't, i hope they find another suitable day for their own enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, messymimi...I guess it's a case of can't please all the of the people all of the time.

      I wonder often if those protesting would be prepared to hand back their Welfare benefits, and refuse to accept future welfare benefits...just a thought...

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Australia Day to you too :)
    I'm light-handed when I spread my vegemite, heavy handed with the butter though.
    I remember Peanut Paste and wasn't too bothered when it was renamed. I did discover just last year, my older sister, who LOVES Peanut Paste had not bought any since the label change because she wasn't sure it was the same thing. All those years she had gone without one of her most favourite foods! I reassured her, saying the name change was because it spreads like butter. I haven't heard back yet whether or not she has bought any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River. I love Peanut Paste...and I particularly love crunchy...it's the only one I buy. I've always a couple of jars on hand....it's a staple, as is Vegemite.

      I hope all is well with your family re the fires...I heard earlier today that the fires are now under control. I hope that remains the case.

      A Happy Australia Day to you, too! I'm about to take off up the lane-way to attend our annual little Aussie Day get-together the neighbours in this lane, and the one that runs parallel to it, hold.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Peanut 'paste'????? I've been eating peanut butter for at least 60 years (I started life in rationing when 'luxury' foods were unknown) and I'm not changing now. As for Vegemite I ever developed a taste for it nor for New Zealand Marmite. On the other hand I have had UK Marmite almost every day of my life for 60+ years.

    I remember Marshall's Emu Pies near Perth. They were an institution. I was sad to see that the company closed down in 2015.

    Apart from my previous comments I thoroughly enjoyed and was educated by your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Graham...I've been eating Peanut Paste, crunchy Peanut Paste, for over 70 years! I love it! :)

      I'm a Happy Little Vegemite and have always loved the spread...it's an Aussie thing, I guess. Although, I did convert an American mate into liking it a few years back.

      I hope all is well with you up your way...keep taking good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Vegemite, whoa. I was told at a B&B once that you either love it or hate it.

    I tracked down that Old Man Emu song. Is that a didgeridoo (sp?) playing? Sounds wonderful and particularly Australian. Happy Australia Day, by the way.

    We see lots of emus on TV, courtesy of the Liberty Mutual commercials. Not sure if they play over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave...Yes, for many, Vegemite is an acquired taste. The spread has played a role in my live ever since I was a very small child so I acquired a taste for it as a wee toddler, if not before.

      Yes, that is a didgeridoo playing in "Old Man Emu"...I love the sound of the didgeridoo. I'm not familiar with the commercials you refer to...perhaps they are only shown in the US.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. Happy Australia Day :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Jan...our annual little street/lane party was very enjoyable...a nice time spent with nice people.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Belated Happy Australia day greetings, Lee, and sounds like you had a great celebration. I have never heard of Vegemite, but enjoy all things peanut butter, even straight from the jar on a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Beatrice...I'm happily guilty of very often eating Peanut Paste/Butter with a spoon, straight from the jar! Very often! :)

      Yes...our little Aussie Day soiree was, again, very enjoyable.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care! :)

      Delete
  13. Happy belated Australia day to you - but why the controversy about 26 January? What's wrong with it (apart from that it's in January, a horrid month in Britain - but not in Australia, I guess). Anyway those peanut paste cookies look good, are they a traditional Australia Day snack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day Jenny...Some call Australia Day "Invasion Day"...Rather than me writing a lengthy, wordy explanation. perhaps these sites shown below will help.

      It's a case of being unable to please all of the people all of the time, I think, Jenny. Any date chosen will upset someone that is for certain! I question if many of those protesting time after time who are on Welfare Benefits would be prepared to give up receiving those benefits!!

      Sure...mistakes have been made...and will continue being made...in every aspect of life...but with the bad there is good...Improvements are being made all the time...the past is the past...the present is now...and we, hopefully, everyone of every colour and creed, are striving to do better now for the future.

      https://australianstogether.org.au/discover/australian-history/colonisation/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh9m4r9zJ7gIVxa2WCh0B2ArOEAAYASAAEgII2fD_BwE

      https://australianstogether.org.au/discover/australian-history/australia-day/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JK78dvJ7gIVgcqWCh3mlAWkEAAYASAAEgLLBPD_BwE

      No...those peanut paste cookies aren't a traditional Aussie Day snack...but they could be! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. I hope all is well with you and your family up your way. :)

      Delete
  14. May I join you, and all Australians for that matter, in wishing everyone a wonderful Australia Day. Your country has captured my heart! As for Vegemite...not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day David. Thank you. I love my country. We're pretty lucky down here in the "Lucky Country"...we just have to, at all times, remember that fact.

      Thanks for coming by...don't be a stranger. Take good care. :)

      Delete
  15. Enjoy the Super Bowl. Have plenty of goodies at hand;)
    Stay safe. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandra...I watched the Super Bowl...and then the first day of the Australian Open...now I'm exhausted! :)

      Delete
  16. Mc Connolly
    I'm from New York, NY. I'm here to give testimony of how i got back my husband who left me over 3 months now is back to me with the help of Dr Iyaryi. I request for a love spell too bring my husband back home too me after my husband file for a divorce he told me not too worry about that anymore that once he is done with the spell my husband will come back to me in 3 days so i believe in his world and he told me what to do and really my husband came back home to me. contact him in his email If you need his help, then contact him on E-mail: driayaryi2012@hotmail.com OR. driayaryi2012@gmail.com And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +15615566356 Thanks Dr IyaryI

    ReplyDelete
  17. TODAY I GOT MY DESIRED XMAS LOAN AMOUNT $520,000.00 FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY. IF YOU NEED A LOAN NOW EMAIL CONTACT drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE(drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan. So feel free to contact Dr. Benjamin Owen he holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly without cost/stress via Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Consider all your financial problems tackled and solved ASAP. Share this to help a soul right now THANKS.

    ReplyDelete