Friday, August 04, 2023

FOR AULD LANG SYNE

 Elderly people spending time together. Senior friends talking and sitting at table, enjoying tea time. Aged women and man meeting at home, in cafes or restaurants Elderly people spending time together. Senior friends talking and sitting at table, enjoying tea time. Aged women and man meeting at home, in cafes or restaurants old friends stock illustrations

 

 


Calm down!  Don’t get your knickers in a knot! Time is flying by at a rapid rate of knots, but it’s not yet New Year’s Eve.  However, that being so doesn’t make the words of “Auld Lang Syne” less pertinent.  Old acquaintances should never be forgotten. (Some won’t allow us to forget them!) In the words of another song, “You Can’t Make Old Friends”…nor can we replace them.

There is no point me being carted off into witness protection, or for me to go into hiding, I’d still be found.  I’m a bit of a hermit… recluse, by choice.  Retreating into my shell, I tried to become a snail. That failed, so I took a step further.  I morphed into a turtle, barely poking my head out from the carapace, the hard protective shield. That hasn’t worked either. In the story I’m about to relate, I’m not complaining.  An emotional roller-coaster ride, I’ve been on of late, in more ways than one.

A friend from my childhood days, and beyond, phoned me. Previously, I’ve mentioned her in tales I’ve related.  When we were teenagers, she and I spent our weekends on the beach and in the surf at Noosa. 

There is no doubt if I’d not been laying down when I answered her phone call, I would’ve fallen down.  As it was, my jaw hit the ground…almost a mission impossible, I know. Someone with whom I began my school days, and with whom I continued from Prep 1, through to primary, to scholarship years, and to High School, tracked her down in search of me! This current day “Sherlock Holmes” and I not only shared school classes through the years, but we also became co-workers/conspirators in our first jobs when we became legal secretaries at the firm of Gympie solicitors, then known as “Tozer & Jeffery”.

Shortly after I moved to live and work in Brisbane at the end of July, 1965, my ex-school friend, and work-mate arrived in the city, too.  I arranged for her to move into the flat adjoining mine in Booth Street, in the suburb of Toowong.  After our years as friends from Prep School through to our first jobs, we then became neighbours in the city.  A year or so later, new adventures beckoned.  Both of us went our separate ways.  We lost contact.  That was 57 years ago!  More than half a century ago….

My long lost friend, her husband and family were coming to the mountain to celebrate their 55th wedding anniversary, as well as her husband’s 80th birthday.  Having grabbed her magnifying glass, my friend donned her deerstalker cap. She was on a mission to find me.  I didn’t stand a chance.  Out of the blue she found me.  My hideout had been discovered. My disguise lifted. I waved the white flag of surrender…and the rest, as the saying goes, is history.

A lengthy, fun phone conversation ensued. I learnt my old friend and her family was arriving the following week. We set up a time to meet at a café.  After 57 years, at 9.45 am, on 18th July, 2023, we met at Elevation Café.

With the many hugs and smiles shared the past years swiftly disappeared. There we sat, sipping on coffees, indulging on carrot cake, lost in a world of our own. Having lived up and down the eastern sea board of Queensland, they now live in Warwick, south-west of Brisbane.  The genuine, sincere love and respect the couple has for each other is obvious, inspiring and heartwarming.

What a wonderful, joyful time we shared a few weeks ago, reminiscing, catching up on what has gone on since we last spent time together.  Of course, it was impossible to cover all that has occurred in the past from when we were kids to now. We’d need a year and more of Sundays to do that! 

From the first phone call informing me my friend was on a relentless search for me…from when we spoke on the phone, up to, and after, our café interlude, my mind has been in a constant whirl.  So many memories are bouncing off its walls.  I have a very good memory. Of late it’s been working overtime.  Myriad fun times we had in our teenage years.  I’m not sure how we got any work done at Tozer & Jeffery, but we must have, because we didn’t get fired! 

There are many tales to be told…but not today….

Carrot and Pineapple Cake: Preheat oven, 177C. Lightly grease and flour 2x9-inch round cake pans; line bottom with paper. Sift 2c plain flour, 2tsp baking powder, 1tsp baking soda, 1-1/2tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp salt, 1/2tsp ground ginger, and 1/4tsp ground nutmeg in large bowl. Whisk 3/4c (165g) light brown sugar, packed, ½ (100g) granulated sugar, 4 large room temp eggs, and 2tsp vanilla in another bowl. Stir in 2-1/2c finely shredded carrots, 1c (165g) drained, crushed canned pineapple, and 3/4c walnut pieces.  Add flour mixture; fold everything together until just combined. Divide mixture between the two pans; smooth top.  Bake 25-30mins in centre of oven.  Cool cakes in pan 5mins; then invert onto wire rack; cool completely before frosting. Frosting: Using hand mixer, beat 454g softened, full fat cream cheese and 1c/227g softened butter until smooth and creamy.  Add 4c/480g icing sugar 2tsp vanilla, 1tbs orange zest and 1/4tsp salt. Beat on low until just incorporated; turn mixer to high; beat about 1min until well combined. Spread one cake layer with 1/3rd of frosting over the top. Place second layer on top. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with toasted walnuts, if desired.   Chill for at least an hour before serving; you can chill the cake for as long, too. 

18 comments:

  1. You do have some very wonderful memories and I am glad your old friend found you after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a huge surprise, Rive. Completely out of the blue...so many years have passed with no communication whatsoever...until a couple of weeks ago!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  2. How wonderful you caught up with your school and neighbour friend, what a good time and talk you must have had. The Carrot cake I make is similar recipe as yours and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a most pleasant, unexpected reunion, Margaret.
      The carrot cake recipe is similar to the Greta Anna one....I made many of them when I had my little green grocery-health food shop in Noosa back in the early 80s. My customers loved them. It's a delicious cake, that's for sure I've not made one in six years. The last time was for the 100th birthday celebration for the mother of a friend of mine. The dear lady passed away early this year..in January...at the age of 105.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. How wonderful. The stuff of many more memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful surprise, EC...one that is still stirring up memories.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  4. It's quite flattering and heartwarming to have someone play Sherlock Holmes to find you and add you to their significant celebrations!
    Your carrot cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my wildest dreams I could never have imagined it happening, DUTA...it certainly brightened things up a lot.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  5. I am quite sure this happens to few of us, so you are entitled to feel quite special. My wife still has friends from her high school days and they meet regularly and hang out together. Amazingly, they all still live in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, David...these days I live quite a distance away from all my old friends; and, these days, I never stray very far from home, by choice. And to hear from, and reconnect with someone from so long ago...someone I'd not seen for all those years...a lifetime ago...certainly was special.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, how Wonderful your friend found you, Lee!!! What a fun reunion that must have been!
    I look forward to hearing about your many adventures with her!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is full of surprises, Donna, isn't it? And this one was a huge surprise....one I cherish.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so very glad you and your friend were able to meet up and reconnect. I hope you get to speak regularly to her now, catch each other up and keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...we probably won't get to see each other often...if again...but we will keep in touch periodical via phone and email, I'm sure.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  8. Good on your old mate for tracking you down. That must have been a wonderful reunion, so many years to catch up on, so many memories to share. I'm glad it has lifted your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was unexpected, Pauline...so many years in between...

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. I like the art image here and the Carrot and Pineapple Cake sounds very tasty.
    So nice that you reconnected with your friend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed this post at the time. Good that you had such a great reunion. I almost never encounter old friends in later life... well I suppose that's why it is unusual and interesting when I do. ( YOu'd think it would get more frequent, wouldn't you, the older you get?!! )

    ReplyDelete