Tuesday, August 22, 2023

LET’S SPICE THINGS UP A BIT!

 
                                                         230 Spice of Life ideas | bones funny, senior humor, funny quotes


      


A disclaimer: Not wishing to incriminate myself; at the risk of being sued, or worse…some details of the following tale have been purposely disguised, made vague, or eliminated completely.  To protect the innocent, no names have been divulged.

A few years ago, when I was living somewhere in North Queensland, one of my co-workers at the time invited me to join his wife and him for dinner at their home.  Their home was just up along the road a bit from where I lived, but it was the first time I’d paid a visit, invited or otherwise.  I was looking forward to a night of culinary delight…to a meal being prepared by someone else for a change.

To my disappointment the dinner served that evening was the most tasteless, uninspiring, bland, boring meal I’ve ever had.  However, you would’ve been proud of me…I was on my best behavior. No comment did I make in reference thereto.  Politely, I contributed to the conversation while hiding my feelings as I ate what was placed before me. I did not air my despair about the fare.  A major effort was required to swallow a single morsel, even with the assistance of a glass or three of red wine.  

The wife was a vegetarian. There’s nothing wrong with being a vegetarian.  I’m pretty close to being one myself these days. I’m probably only about one mouthful away from being a fruitarian.

However, in this case, not only was meat eliminated from the meal but, so too, was flavour. No seasonings of any description …no spices, no salt, no pepper; not a drop, not a sprinkle of anything…nothing were present. 

I bit my tongue (it was more flavoursome than the meal), and ploughed on through, silently telling myself to never accept another dinner invitation from the couple if the wife was the cook.  It was very difficult to keep a pleasant, upbeat, convivial conversation going during the worst meal I’ve ever had.  Conveniently, the next time I was invited to dine at their home I had another engagement.  There is only so much torture one person can handle before cracking completely!

“Variety is the very spice of life”, so said English poet William Cowper back in 1785.  A century or so prior, dramatist Aphra Behn had a similar thought when he said, “Variety is the soul of pleasure”. And, way before those two brainiacs latched onto the idea, Greek dramatist Euripides kicked it all off with his most simple adage…”a change is always nice.”  It takes the Greeks to keep it concise, but comprehensive.

I confess I’m a bit of a fraud these days; more than a “bit”.  Okay!  Lock me up and throw away the key! But, at least I admit to the error of my ways.  Contrary to what some may think…probably because of the recipes I’m constantly sharing, and from the tales I’ve related of various culinary adventures I’ve had in the past…my remaining pots and pans need reminding of their purposes in life…those I’ve not already given away, that is. Nowadays, I do very little cooking, spicy or otherwise.  Through the years I did enough cooking to cover two or more lifetimes…enough is enough already!

An orange addict I am.  Every morning I juice oranges, with a lemon added to the delicious mix.  This is something I’ve done for many, many years. Guilt would descend upon me if my habit was broken.  I admit to my orange addition. It’s a worthy one because, touch wood, I’ve not had a cold since 1998…and that is the gospel truth.

It might be a bit cheesy, but I love cheese, too.  Milk also plays an important role.  In the mornings…not too early on chilly winter morns…a large mug of coffee made on milk warms the cockles of my heart.  So, too, for variety, does a large mug of Milo made on milk.  A big kid I am…still going through my first childhood.  I love Milo, and have done so since I was a kid.  

Like with life, food can become boring if one doesn’t spice it up a bit.  Don’t go overboard, though….    

 

Kolokithokeftedes aka Greek Zucchini Fritters: Grate about 500g unpeeled zucchinis; sprinkle with salt; transfer to clean tea towel and squeeze out liquid by hand, removing as much liquid as possible. Combine zucchinis, 3 thinly sliced eschallots, 1/4c finely chopped fresh dill, and 1/4c finely chopped fresh mint; season with salt and pepper. Add 1c crumbled feta cheese, 1/4c grated Parmesan and 3 eggs. Mix until well combined. Gently mix in 3/4c plain flour, being careful not to overwork the mixture.  Add more flour if mixture is appears to be too moist. Heat 2tbs olive oil in large pan. Scoop spoonful of mix; add to hot oil. Press down lightly on patty to flatten. Repeat process; don’t overcrowd the pan.  Pan fry 3mins; then flip using spatula. Drain on paper-lined towel to rid excess oil. Serve warm.

Briam aka Greek Roast Vegetables: Cut 1/2kg potatoes into slices (peel, if preferred). Slice 1/2kg eggplants and 1/2kg zucchinis into 1cm slices. Cut into chunks, if preferred.  Chop 1kg tomatoes, peeled, if preferred (or use 3-4 cans strained, chopped toms).  Chop two green capsicums. Layer bottom of large baking pan with tomatoes; season. Place rest of vegetables on top; season well. Don’t layer too deep. Sprinkle 1 sliced red onion and 2 finely chopped garlic cloves over top; add remaining tomatoes.  Season well; sprinkle over Italian herbs; garnish with chopped parsley; drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil; bake in preheated 200c oven, 1-1/2 to 2hrs. Uncover halfway through cooking; toss vegies, (not out the window!); continue baking until coloured. Serve with feta cheese and crunchy bread.  Yum! Yum!  

 

                                      Spice Of Life Quotes. QuotesGram

28 comments:

  1. Did you do the Variety is the spice of life drawing? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Sandra...I didn't do the "Variety" sketch. I've not done any drawing or painting for quite awhile. I keep moving my pencils and sketch book closer with the hope I'll be tempted to pick them up and put them to use. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care.

      Delete
  2. Variety is indeed the spice of life. Mind you, my meals (while often spicy) don't vary a great deal. I find something I enjoy eating and stick to it until I am sick of it. Which can take a long, long time. I hear you on cheese too. I am vegetarian and wouldn't find it difficult to be a vegan - except for cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, EC....my eating habits have changed a lot of late. I do very little cooking now...but I do like my food to have a "taste...flavour", and not be tasteless. Simple does me just fine. I think through the years I frequented enough kitchens, whether my own, or others, to last me the rest of my life. lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care.

      Delete
  3. I'm a fan of milo and cheese too. but I can't make the milo with all milk, it's a quarter milk and three quarters boiling water for me. I have a little intolerance thing. I've never been an inspired cook, for years, (with hubby and school age kids) it was meat and three veg, most often mashed potatoes, beans or peas, and carrots, with lamb chops or pork sausages. We ate a lot of meatloaf. All of your recipes sound quite exotic to me and very flavourful, certainly very colourful. I rarely eat meat these days, but only because I can't afford to, but when I do buy a tiny steak or pack of sausages, I feel as if I'm dining like a queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River....only all milk for me. Fortunately, I don't have a food intolerance. As mentioned, I do very little cooking these days. To be honest, I just can't be bothered, and, I don't have much of an appetite, either.

      I was always interested in cooking from when I was a kid. Our meals, prepared by our grandmother were simple, but always tasty.. There wasn't a lot of money in our small household, but, without fail, both Mum and Nana always went "overboard" for our birthdays, Christmas and Easter meals.

      The temptation to leap into the hospitality industry...serving tables at first, and then into the kitchen to cook became too strong to fight against. I loved to home entertain, too, and catered for and hosted many, many dinners and parties through the years.

      Thanks for coming by...take care :)

      Delete
  4. So gather there wasn't any pepper or salt put on the table either and you didn't ask for them.
    I can only imagine what a tasteless meal you had to eat back then.
    I drink milo but only with a little milk as one would have in the tea.
    Take care Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Margaret...no...no salt and pepper. I didn't ask for them. I was a "good girl and ate what was placed in front of me"....with an award-winning effort! lol

      Milk all the way for me with Milo :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. I don't know what Milo is but I'm guessing it's chocolate milk?
    I think i would have at least asked for the salt and pepper for the vegan dinner! lolol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna, below gives you some understanding of what Milo is.

      "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_(drink) Milo Ingredients
      The following are the ingredients for Milo: Extract of Malt Barley Or Malt Barley and Rice (Total Extract 38%), Milk Solids, Sugar, Cocoa, Choc Malt Blend, Minerals (Calcium, Iron), Maltodextrin (Corn), Vitamins (C, B3, B6, B2, D, B12), Emulsifier ( Soy Lecithin) Contains Gluten, Milk and Soy."

      I must have been on my best behaviour that evening...and followed what I'd been taught when I was a child..."Eat what is put in front of you!" lol

      Thanks for coming by....take care. :)

      Delete
  6. Kudos to you, Lee, for your polite behavior at the table! I can imagine it was a great effort for you, (as an accomplished cook and provider of wonderful recipes), to "swallow" the unspiced, tasteless food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...my cooking accomplishments are very rare and very far between these days! Even the simplest of food, simplest of meals, can still be tasty and flavoursome, though.

      Delete
  7. Unspiced and tasteless sounds about as bad as it can get. Perhaps the conversation too was similarly devoid of spice! I can’t imagine that kind of food, I think we have every spice ever sold in our kitchen and use them liberally and frequently. Herbs too. The filet of sole last night was delicious with dill and a sprinkling of lemon pepper. I think you would have approved. Alongside the fish we served oven baked sweet potato fries and green beans fresh from the farm. Not a bad dinner if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dinner does sound like it was delicious, David. Simple, yet tasty. A meal doesn't have to be fancy or exotic to be tasty, to be full of flavour. I love sweet potato fries, too. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail! Oh! Well! Next time! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care.

      Delete
  8. I'd like to think that the food that I cook for others is flavoursome and appealing. I certainly put the effort into it as a rule and I have plenty of guests to please and they do keep returning. However, when I'm on my own I tend to eat a very much less varied diet although a pretty balanced and healthy one. As I get older I find that eating, of itself, doesn't have the appeal that it once had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Graham...I'm of similar mind to you re the "getting older and eating" bit. To be honest, I just can't be bothered these days. Once upon a time...is once upon a time a long time ago now. :)

      It's always nice to hear from you...take good care...thanks for coming by.

      Delete
    2. You were a trouper to keep plowing through the meal and keep the conversation light and upbeat. I'm glad there was no repeat performance.

      You have cooked enough for your life, if you are enjoying the way you eat now, and it includes very little cooking, good for you!

      Delete
    3. G'day, messymimi....

      Yes...the easiest way is the way for me these days. Actually, I find the cheapest way, for me, being alone, with no one else to cater for, is to use frozen prepared meals...including frozen vegetables, when I feel like having a hot meal. It is cheaper for me to do it this way. I find if I buy fresh vegetables I end up tossing most of them because I don't get around to cooking them. I always have fresh fruit on hand, because I love fruit and won't ever go without it.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. Love the 'learn something new to offset what I forget'. So funny and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad you had to ensure such a tasteless meal, and hopefully the conversation was a bit spicier, Lee. We have a rather large collection of dried spices in the pantry and I make my own rubs for chicken and pork dishes. It's relatively simple and tastier than an all-in-one bottle as i can adjust and add more of this and that. After all the cooking you have done, you deserve a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Beatrice...I never went back for a second helping, Beatrice! lol

      As you say...it is simple. Happy taste buds bloom!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh those recipes are nice! I've just discovered turmeric pancakes. Too much turmeric imparts a very weird taste so I never use the root, just a cautious half teaspoon or so of powder. Add to the pancake mix together with fried onions, fried diced bell pepper, a half teapoon of cumin and some salt. Of course turmeric turns everything yellow which is a devil to get out of clothing. I sympathise with you about the tasteless meal. I find a lot of vegan food is made without consideration to the taste, which is a shame as I have known a couple of vegan cafes which have delicious stuff. I guess it's too hard to make for many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jenny....Too much seasoning, of course, is just as bad as not enough, or none at all! lol

      Turmeric with its antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties is so good for us.

      Thanks for coming by..take care. :)

      Delete
  12. Hey there, Pauline. You're allowed to rant...it gives me a break from doing so! lol

    I can't be bothered cooking these days..and do very little of it.

    Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've found as I progress my senior years that my wife's cooking is more pleasing than the fare served at most restaurants, which is good since dining out is SO expensive. She does not however incorporate my collection of dried, ground spicy peppers--ghost pepper, carolina reaper, scorpion. That would provide too much spice. I remember once telling my 9 year old grandson, "You learn something new every day" to which he replied, "I can't think of anything new I learned today." They always have a comeback to popular catchphrases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I love your grandson's comment, Dave...."Out of the mouths of babes"! :)

      I don't eat out these days. A few weeks ago I did meet up with a long-lost, found-again friend at a local cafe where we just had coffee and carrot cake. The carrot cake was very dry! I felt like giving the proprietor/chef my carrot and pineapple cake recipe...but I behaved myself! :)

      As mentioned, I do very little cooking these days...not the amount I once did.

      Thanks for coming by. Take care. :)

      Delete
  14. Those roasted vegetables and fritters look so good....I shouldn't have read this right before dinner. Heh. Heh.

    ReplyDelete