Sunday, March 15, 2020

SPEND A PENNY, BUT NOT ON AN OVERLOAD OF ROLLS!



It’s fortunate I like – enjoy - my own company because I spend the majority of my time with me, and, of course, my two furry mates.  With the embarrassing, demeaning behaviour of some humans it’s little wonder.   

The latest example of human stupidity and greed...the panic buying of toilet paper...is ridiculous.  Toilet paper companies are joyfully yelling out, “Holy crap!” Never in their wildest dreams did they expect to be rolling in the profits they presently are.
What so many folk are unaware of...or have closed their minds to the fact...toilet paper is produced in this country, for God’s sake!!!  

Our local IGA supermarket up here on the hill has run out of said rolls, as well as paper towels.  Probably tissues and sanitary wipes are wiped out, too. I wouldn’t know...I don’t buy, or use the latter two products.

Over the years, I’ve been the butt of amusement for some because I’ve always kept a useful quantity of toilet paper on hand.  I aim to please.

Years ago, when living up north in Ingham, my brother during one of his visits rather descriptively, leaving little to the imagination, pointed out I had more toilet paper than Coles and Woolworths combined. I pooh-hooed his derision, letting him have his fun. 

I’ve not panicked-purchased toilet paper during this current explosion of over-zealousness, nor will I.  Never have I in the past, so I’m not going to start now!

When looking in the mirror this morning I noted I’m still a human.  I’ve not morphed into a sheep; nor am I a goat. I still have an ounce or two of commonsense left. I have never followed the herd. 

What goes on in the minds of some people...if anything worthwhile does?  Their behaviour is disgusting, and they’re too dense to realise it. 

Greed, ignorance, disrespect and nastiness are horrible traits. Far too much is on display lately.

I’ve never panic-bought anything, ever, even when in the midst of cyclones. I’ve always kept a back-up stock of toilet paper on hand.  I certainly did when I lived on islands, managing the resorts thereon, during cyclones, and under clear blue skies. 
When ordering and maintaining provisions to not only feed and service guests needs, but staff, too, every avenue, angle and butt had to be covered. Running out of the necessities of comfortable living was never an option. 

Being on an island surrounded by water one couldn’t shoot off to the corner store, or to the nearest supermarket to grab a pound of butter, a loaf of bread, or a pack of toilet paper. Planning ahead was an integral part of life.

When I was living back on the mainland, working long hours within the hospitality industry, starting early morning through until late into the night, my practice of making sure I had stocks of essentials continued. 

To this day my fridge, freezer and cupboards are always well-stocked. At all times, I have a supply of fresh fruits and vegetables.  Most importantly, I always ensure I have a healthy supply of cat food and meat for my two furry roomies.  Running, or rather, driving - if I had to run I’d never be going anywhere - to the supermarket every second day is not my idea of fun, even though I do enjoy chatting and joking with the friendly IGA staff. 

Many times in the past I’ve written my late brother and I were raised in a humble home, where money was scarce, but food, and basic essentials never were.  Our cupboards were never bare.

Because of the brainless behaviour of some within society, in this country and elsewhere, I felt embarrassed and guilty when I bought toilet paper the other day, even though I always buy the product every time I shop. Nothing about what I bought was out of my normal shop. 
  
I found myself joking about my purchase because I didn’t want to be thought to be a panic-buyer! 

Furthermore, the first thing I do - always have done - when I arrive home is wash my hands before I unpack my purchases.  It’s commonsense to do so.

Commonsense appears to be going out of fashion, doesn’t it? 

The stupidity virus has become a pandemic!

Spend a penny...sure...but don’t go spending all your dollars on toilet paper!

Potato Roll: Preheat oven 180C. Cut 6 potatoes into 3mm thick slices. Evenly sprinkle lined baking tray with 1c grated Parmesan; place potato, overlapping, vertically and horizontally on cheese, until pan is filled with potatoes. Sprinkle 1c Parmesan over potatoes; season; bake 30mins until golden, flexible and slightly crispy. In skillet heat 2tbs olive oil over med-heat; add 1 diced onion, about 15mins. Add 455g beef mince; break up; add 410g drained diced tomatoes, 3tbs chopped parsley, 1tsp paprika season; cook until beef is browned and cooked through; remove from heat.  In a pan heat 2tbs olive oil; add 6c spinach; cook until wilted; add salt and 2 minced garlic cloves; remove from heat. In bowl combine spinach with 1c ricotta; set aside. Evenly spread spinach over cooked potato sheet; evenly spread beef over spinach; sprinkle 1c shredded mozzarella over beef. Take one end of potato sheet, holding the baking paper, and begin rolling upward, making sure ingredients are not coming out the ends.  Once completely rolled, place roll on the baking paper; bake 15mins. Sprinkle with chopped parsley for garnish; slice; serve immediately.

Chicken Rolls: Combine 500g chicken mince, 35g taco seasoning, 1/2c shredded tasty cheese, 1/4c  cold water and 1tbs finely chopped parsley in bowl; mix well.  Cut 2 thawed puff pastry sheets in half.  Place 1/4 of mince into a sausage shape along one edge of each pastry strip.  Brush other edge of pastry with egg wash; roll up with seam underneath.  Cut each log into 8 rolls, about 3cm long, without cutting all the way through. Place onto lined baking tray; brush with egg wash.  Sprinkle with paprika. Bake in 220C oven, 15mins; cut rolls all the way through, and cook a further 5mins until golden.

15 comments:

  1. my comment seems to have disappeared, I hope you discover it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been flushed away, Linda! Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. These days it is more than just toilet paper which has been stripped bare. Toilet paper, tissues, sanitary items, hand wash, meat, rice, pasta, bread... and the list goes on.
    And as always the people who cannot afford to stockpile (or choose not to) will suffer while others have far more than their fair share. It is sometimes hard to like or respect our species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, EC...on all counts.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. The toilet paper rush seems very peculiar to me. The shelves in my local supermarket were completely empty of it.
    Your chicken and potatoe rolls look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DUTA...I've stopped questioning...asking why some people behave as they do. Stupidity and greed are two reasons that come to mind.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I was in my local Woolies yesterday for a box of tissues, the entire length of the shelf was empty. No tissues, no paper towels, no toilet paper. I'll use hankies for a while and make sure I wash them with hot water and a bit of disinfectant maybe. and I have a good stash of facewashers and smaller terry teatowels that I can use in place of paper towels and paper napkins.
    I'm not as stocked up as I'd like to be, there's just no room to store stuff, but I think I'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...I don't have any hankies. I've not used hankies in years and years. I don't use tissues. Toilet rolls ccver all needs as far as I am concerned. Face washers I've not used or had in years, too. I've a million tea towels,and paper napkins left over from the past few Christmases etc.

      I won't go hungry. My lemon tree has fruit preparing to ripen...and the avocado tree at the rear of my cabin has a good crop at presently fattening reading itself for the picking.

      Remy and Shama have enough food to satisfy their needs for quite some time.

      And I've got my streaming services...I have little or no desire to go anywhere. I'm happy to remain at home...as always. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:34 AM

    I feel a bit ashamed to be an Australian with such extraordinary behaviour by our fellow citizens. We didn't stockpile and now we can't get what we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Andrew. The behaviour of some among us is disgusting...embarrassing. Greed personified. Respect for one's fellowman has flown out the window!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. It's crazy here, too. We have not stockpiled, we just have what we know we need. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi...my life goes on as normal. Included in that is keeping away, when and where possible, from stupid people! lol

      Thanks for coming by...and you, too, take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. I think there's been a shortage of common sense for quite some time and a situation like we are in now just makes it worse. Your recipes sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Bonnie. Yes...the lack of common sense virus has been rapidly taking over, moving faster than any pandemic! Greed, too, is, unfortunately, widespread.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. You got into a practice of doing mental inventory a long time ago and it's serving you well now during a crisis. I have been like that too and often was the topic of jokes about it, nobody is laughing now. Too many have lived on The Edge so long that they are ill prepared for when things go sideways and then they panic and go to another extreme. I think the lack of guidance and transparency by Leadership hasn't helped, confusion, mixed messages and lack of preparedness at high levels just had a negative impact and disrupted everyone's Calm. The Man has been preparing for this his whole Life and could easily be a recluse, but I am Social, so sheltering in place has been more difficult for me, but we were proactive in doing so. We experienced judgment for that by those who were not and mebbe still are not taking this seriously. We're high risk and so is the Grandchild we're raising, so being Medically fragile we needed to be responsible about trying to stay Well. Be and stay Well and continue enjoying your solitude.

    ReplyDelete