Monday, March 30, 2020

UP AND DOWN AND ALL AROUND...IT’S THE WAY THE BUNNY HOPS!


Gene Autry and Champion






"Hippity-hoppity hop!  Here comes Peter Cottontail, hoppin’ down the bunny trail. Hippity hoppin’ - Easter’s on its way..."

Cackle! Cackle! Cackle! Cluck! Cluck! Cluck!  That’s the Easter Bird armed/winged with a basket full of eggs. 
  
Don’t panic!  There is enough chocolate and lollies of all varieties to go around!  Hey! There might even be some Easter eggs still hidden in the garden since last year...those not found during Easter 2019’s egg hunt.    

Hold on!  Don’t rush off to look just yet.  I’ve not finished my ramblings!

Everyone is in such a hurry these days.  Every action is panic-driven!  Calm down!  As you can see, I’m getting in a week early...Easter is still a week away as I write and post...but it isn’t panic that motivates me.   

I’m fully aware Easter isn’t until the end of next week, but it is sensible to sensibly plan in advance, not leaving everything until the last minute. You might need to marinate a hunk of meat.  If that is the case, it’s best to have some time up your sleeve...or on the clock.

I’ve never learned how to keep time up my sleeve, have you?

Clint, my chocolate Lindt bunny remains nestled in my fridge, which, as some of you may recall, has been his safe haven for the past few years.  There he sits, untouched by human hands; nor has he been touched by pussy, hare or bunny paws (not even his own); nor will he be!  

Clint Lindt’s future remains secure. This he knowsForever grateful for his safe haven, he gives me a smile every time I open my refrigerator door.

Even though he is a chocolate bunny, I assure you, he is no bunny.

When I was a kid I loved Gene Autry’s song “Peter Cottontail”.  To me, Gene Autry was king.  I loved his singing and his movies.  Autry was a magician of sorts.  During his many fist fights, rolling in the dirt and down mountain sides, Gene never got dirty, and not once did he lose his hat.  His trusty steed, Champion, the Wonder Horse stood loyally by his side all the while.

Not only am I showing my age, but I’m giving it away at the mention of Gene Autry!

Oh! Well!  I’m generous that way. 

One cannot run away from reality; nor hide from the passing years.  Botox, plastic surgery etc.,  don’t hide the years...each draw more attention to them, in my opinion.
  
No trout mouth, pumped up boobs, medicine ball butt cheeks, taut brow, plastered on eyebrows for me, thank you very much!  Take me as I am...or not at all.  Nicking Popeye’s words:  “I yam what I yam & that’s what I yam!”

Regardless of my love for Peter Cottontail’s song, in our household when my late brother and I were kids the Easter Bird was solely responsible for the delivery of our Easter eggs.  

The Easter Bird was a chick, but over the Easter weekend she was Cock of the Walk.  

My brother, Graham and I never had a shortage of Easter eggs.  And, we never went on Easter egg hunts.

The nests we built in hats overflowed with the colourful, delicious goodies.  The eggs were easy to find.  They were always placed at the end our bed, easy for the Easter bird to find. She never needed directions.  That fluffy chick was a pretty smart chick!

Who cared about overdosing on sugar?  Not us!  Being fairly normal kids always tearing around outdoors, we had energy to burn, sugar, or no sugar...all year through, not just while, and after, feasting on Easter eggs.

My Easter plan is to devour my supply of Cherry Ripes.

Before you accuse me...I’ve not panic-bought Cherry Ripes!  The yummy chocolate bars are always part of my Easter fare – always have been.  

Perhaps I’ll set a place across from me at the table for Clint...allowing him some freedom for a change. I might even open the unopened bottle of Dimple Haig that’s been sitting on a shelf for four years.  As you can tell from the above statement very rarely nowadays does liquor pass these un-pure lips of mine .

Maybe it’s time to lift Prohibition...which is just another thought upon which I can ponder. Perhaps I should open the Scotch bottle, and put a dimple in it!

Golden-suited, brown tie Clint and I can clink glasses of good cheer...“might” being the operative word.  It won’t happen. The idea is fun, though. 

Clint’s a good listener. If he could talk he’d have lots to add to the conversation.  He’s not one to interrupt me when I’m speaking, either.  Over the years he’s witnessed many comings and goings in my fridge.  Clint’s very cool....not a cool cat, but a cool bunny!

In case you’re thinking I’ve finally lost it...I haven’t.  It’s around here somewhere.  

I’ve many simple ways of amusing myself.  This is just one of those ways.

Clint is chuffed every time he sees me remove a Cherry Ripe from the fridge.
My doing so gives him that extra feeling of confidence.  However, I know he trusts me...that I will never reach for him.

There’s no cause for me to pause from my usual habits.  So Cherry Ripes it is...not Cherry Wipes!

Pomegranate Marinated Lamb Roast with Gremolata: Puree 1/2c unsweetened pomegranate juice, 1/4c port or dry red wine, 3tbs x-virgin olive oil, ½ large onion, chopped, 4 garlic  cloves, 1/2c chopped Italian parsley, salt and pepper. Place large, boned, netted or tied lamb leg in a zip-top plastic bag; add marinade. Seal bag; massage it lightly so marinade is distributed over roast. Place in a bowl; chill overnight. Next day remove lamb from fridge; let stand at room temp, 1hr. Preheat oven 218C. Remove lamb from marinade; wipe off excess liquid. Place meat, fat side up, on rack in roasting pan; roast, 25-30mins. Lower temp to 175C; continue to cook 20-30 mins for med-rare. Remove roast from oven; carefully turn it fat-side down to redistribute its juices. Let it rest 20mins. While lamb is resting, you don’t!  Gremolata...in serving bowl, combine - ½ bunch Italian parsley, leaves only, chopped, 15-20 chopped mint leaves, 1 minced garlic clove and zest of 1 lemon. Serve gremolata alongside sliced lamb. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds if the fresh fruit is available.

Marinated Beef Roast: Combine in zip-lock bag or bowl, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1tbs Worcestershire sauce, 1tbs Dijon, 1/4c balsamic, 1/2c soy sauce, 1/4c olive oil, 1tbs white sugar, 2tsp onion powder, 1tsp black pepper, 2tsp dried thyme and 2tsp dried rosemary. Add 1.5-2kg piece of blade, topside or other economical beef cuts to marinade; seal securely; marinate 2 days; 3 days max. Remove beef from fridge 1hr prior to start of cooking. Preheat oven, 240C.  Cut 4 spuds into 5cm chunks and 5 carrots into 4cm pieces. Toss vegies in marinade; spread out in baking tray; season; top with beef.  Drizzle over 1tbs olive oil; roast 20mins. Reduce heat to 180C; roast 35-40mins for med-rare. Place beef on plate; cover loosely in foil; rest 20-30mins. Return vegies to oven to brown a bit if needed. Serve beef sliced, with veg, and pan juices; or rich gravy. 

Cherry Ripe Muffins: Chop 2x52g Cherry Ripe Bars into 6 squares each. Finely chop another Cherry Ripe; set aside. Combine 125g chopped butter and 100g dark chocolate melts in a saucepan; gently heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Cool slightly.  Add 4 lightly beaten eggs,  1/3c caster sugar and 2tsp vanilla; stir to combine; then add 3/4c  sifted plain flour and 1-1/3tsp baking powder; mix until just combined. Spoon two thirds of the mixture into 12 x 1/3 cup capacity paper-lined muffins pans. Top each with a square of Cherry Ripe then spoon over the remaining muffin mixture. Sprinkle with reserved chopped Cherry Ripe. Bake in a moderate oven 180C for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes before turning out of pan to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container until required. 




28 comments:

  1. Haven't lost my mind, either, i put it safe and secure someplace around here and haven't seen it since, so i know it's still there. Wherever there is.

    Anyway, Gene Autry was a wonderful entertainer and it really bothered him that he was finally remembered mostly for the reindeer and bunny songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, messymimi. Autry was a very rich man...and not from his movie-making or music, either...he made his fortune out of real estate investments.

      When I was a little girl, I wrote a letter to his fan club in Hollywood! And....in return I received a glossy, black and white, autographed photograph of Gene Autry...it held pride of place on my bedroom wall for years. :)

      When you think about it...that was quite something in those days...in the early 50s...no computers, no internet and all the technology that goes with it. Just plain old "snail mail" and handwritten correspondence.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. This year, Clint would even be safe in my fridge! I'm off chocolate for the moment, a lo-o-o-o-ong moment until the doctor is satisfied I'm no longer in danger of becoming diabetic. I've made this easy on myself by not buying a single Easter Egg or Bunny, nor any other type of chocolate. I did find a hidden Freddo Frog in the crisper drawer and ate him last night.
    Trout Mouth? Some people call them Duck Lips, no matter what they call them, they are ugly if your face isn't meant to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River....I couldn't bring myself to eat dear old Clint! No way!!!! lol

      Take good care of yourself...I know you do...but, there...I said it anyway! Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with River about the fishy pout. It just looks plain ugly to me. I suspect that Easter will be a quiet event here - which is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, as stated, EC, hate the trout mouth...and all the other disfigurements people do to themselves these days under the false impression the nips, tucks and blow-ups make them look attractive. The opposite occurs!

      Quiet times are just fine with me...all year 'round!

      Take good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I rarely eat an Easter Egg, it's been know that I leave those things in the fridge and someone else eats them after several months :)
    Easter will be very different this year.
    Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Margaret. I've not had an Easter egg of any description in years. Cherry Ripes doe me just fine...Easter, and any other time of the year.

      Take good care, and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. You help me to remember the many Easters of my childhood. I tried to recreate them as much as I could for my two sons when they were little. I remember Gene Autry very well and I always loved the Peter Cottontail song. It was nice to hear about your childhood Easters. Enjoy your week Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Bonnie. Ahhh! Gene was special. When I was a little girl and a huge fan, my brother always teased me about him. Big brothers are borne to be teasers of their little sisters! :)

      The innocence of childhood...how wonderful it was...

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. lamb roast sounds delicious, sadly our stores have no meat except the most expensive cut of lamb; many shelves are bare; I saw on a cooking show yesterday, they put drops of different colors of food coloring in a salad spinner put in one egg and spin and you get a die pattern that is random of many colors, kind of cool looking, be well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Linda...the meat shelves in our local supermarket have been very bare these past couple of weeks, too. As long as I can keep getting enough meat for my two furry mates, I'm fine. I've always got back-up for them in my freezer, too.

      A strange time we are living in. I just wish some people would think of others and not be so greedy. Take good care.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. You brought back a lot of memories today - I enjoyed thinking back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Sandie. I hope many smiles joined those memories.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by :)

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:08 AM

    Given how chocolate ages, you are best to never undress Clint and just keep him as a friendly companion. Good and appropriate cosmetic surgery, no one will notice. You can't have a tight face with a saggy neck and old person bat wing arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no intentions of eating Clint, Andrew. I thought I'd made that perfectly clear. He's been settled in my fridge for many years...and there he shall remain.

      All the young woman you see in all forms of the media think they look beautiful because of their blown up lips etc., Perhaps to themselves and to some others they do, but not to me.

      I don't find it/them attractive in any way...they don't look natural...far from it. If or when they have children...I reckon they might question the parentage because the kids certainly will look nothing like them!! :)

      Why people want to be false beats the shit out of me.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. LEE. Ah the romantic singing Cowboy, the late thirties-early forties the young studs of that era would swagger out into the foyer of the cinema after the movie - all budding Gene Autry's.
      I have lots of odds and sods from bye gone days, non edible, I sometimes look at them and wonder why they are worth keeping, some remind me of the better times in the past some not quite so. their future will probably be decided by some unthinking person on my demise.
      I love your cooking recipes but consuming them a NoNo, Particularly my son who consumes 75 % of the food entering our home and becoming to look more like a beached king Walrus. Take Care.

      Delete
    3. Hey there, Vest. Ahh...yes...we all keep things - or most of us do...sometimes the simplest things that mean some simple thing just to us, that no one else would understand; that would mean nothing to anyone else.

      An admission...one I have made openly, and willingly previously...I don't cook the recipes I post. Once upon a time, I did do a lot of cooking, both professionally, and home entertaining/dinner parties etc.,...but those days are long gone.

      Thanks for coming by...keep taking good care of yourself. :)

      Delete
  9. I too am going to show my age by saying I loved Gene Autry:)
    I am so not ready for Easter.
    Stay safe. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...His movies were great...and his singing. He was my hero! And my brother used to tease me so much about him! lol

      You and your loved ones stay safe and well, too, Sandra...take very good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. In all honesty I rarely even notice Easter. It was never very important in my house apart from the religious significance. I suppose I had an easter egg although all I can recall is that, on Easter Day, Mum dyed the breakfast boiled eggs different colours. The Lindt Easter Bunnies are permanently on the shelves here which rather detracts from their significance in my eyes.

    Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham...well, Clint Lindt, my bunny, is contentedly permanently on my refrigerator shelf...spring, summer, autumn, winter...Easter, Christmas and all in between! :)

      Easter was always fun for us when I was a kid...and even more fun when I was a teenager. My girlfriends and I spent every Easter weekend surfing and sun-baking at Mooloolaba and Noosa Heads. Fun! Fun! Fun! Surf, sand and record hops!!

      As a kid I went to Sunday School every Sunday as was the norm. I'm not a religious person...and I never go to church these days, and haven't done so since I was kid.

      Easter eggs and Hot Cross Buns are put on the supermarket shelves here not long after Christmas has wrapped up, which is all a bit too soon in my opinion...and in that of many others.

      Thanks for coming by, Graham...take care. :)

      Delete
  11. In the "I learn something new every time I come here" I'd never heard of a Cherry Ripe candy bar before. And I see they claim to be Australia's oldest chocolate bar. Made by Cadbury's too, which is sold here in the U.S. If Cherry Ripes were here, I'd certainly buy one.

    No Easter bunny sightings here, but I spied what I think is a rabbit nest just a few feet from my back door. I've heard that wildlife are getting bolder with us humans being shut in, but that's a little bold in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Dave!! Oh! I'm sure you would love Cherry Ripes!!! Take my word for it! lol

      There are no rabbits around here where I live...but there are hares...and huge ones, too! (And I'm not talking about the hairs on my legs!!!) :)

      I hope all is well with you and your loved ones...take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. We have Passover holiday in the upcoming week. There's shortage of eggs in the stores, and there's an attempt to import them from other countries.
    As usual, your food items look delicious and 'make my mouth water', as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, DUTA...the other day when I was at our local supermarket here where I live about the only things they had lots of stock of were Easter eggs and chocolate bars. I guess panic-buying has struck them....yet!! lol

      Take care...I hope all is well with you and yours...stay safe. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. Yikes! Now you did write something that gave me a shock there. Easter only a week away???? I'd got it in my head that it was ... well, weeks away ! these people who keep changing the calendar and the date - I can hardly keep up! Seriously I am glad that I mail ordered my Easter gifts some time ago. That was not because of good planning, I was just bothered that the staff at the chocolate shop were going to stop coming in. And who could blame them - I don't think chocolate can really be classed as " essential," even though Easter might be a bit of a washout without it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jenny! Chocolate is essential...at all time! lol

      Half the time I don't know what day it is, let alone what season! Even though I wrote about it, a couple of days ago, I even lost track, and forgot Easter was only a few days away.

      This year is keep all of us on our toes...in the one spot, it appears!

      Good to hear from you, Jenny...take good care...stay safe. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete