Wednesday, October 06, 2021

MY WANDERING, PONDERING, WONDERING MIND....

 





                                                                     



I’m constantly scratching my head.  Lousy lice or flaky dandruff are not the cause for my head scratching.  One plus, strange as it may seem to some, is I don’t get any splinters.  

An important issue causing me concern is Superman’s welfare. His privacy must be protected at all costs.  Superman’s right to modesty must be respected. With almost everyone these days, other than me, with his/her head buried in mobile phones, the lack of phone boxes is a major worry.  Therein lays my dilemma.  Where can Superman change into his super-duper, freshly ironed costume in readiness to fly off to save the world?  And, let’s face it, the world does need saving!  When necessity demands Clark disrobe, and he isn’t allowed privacy, what hope is there?  It’s impossible for him to change in a mobile phone case! Who can we rely upon to save the world if not Superman?  The proof is in the pudding...just look around you.  I live on a lane, but I’m not Lois.  Maybe he could swing by my place to change outfits when the need arises.  Knowing my luck, it’d be Mighty Mouse who’d turn up!

Many other things intrigue me.  Why do characters in movies and TV series, when popping pills, throw their heads back with forceful gusto?  Is such a vigorous jerking action to force the pills down their throats necessary?   Neck braces must be mandatory on film sets for when the actors put their necks out...which are regular occurrences I suspect.  I swallow vitamin supplements daily. Never have I found it necessary to forcefully throw my head back to assist in the swallowing of same.    

Another thing causing my head scratching is the characters never push their chairs back in upon leaving the table.  I wait with bated breath to see if it will occur.  Still I wait. Apparently, these days, like phone boxes, pushing one’s chair back in when leaving the table is old hat. 

The fanning of faces with hands when flustered always has me wondering, too.  How does all that hand flapping help, or is it just for effect?  To me, it’s an annoying affected affectation.   

Back to mobile phones over-taking the world...because everyone these days in series etc., are texting instead of speaking, a magnifying glass is needed by the viewer to enable one to decipher the damn script.  In the majority of the cases the print is too small for even the most eagle-eyed of eye to read.  It’s on those myriad instances I’m thankful I have a vivid imagination.  It allows me to ponder a while before inventing my own script!

Perhaps I over-think things too much, too often...maybe I should just flow with the flow, free-wheeling along the stream, allowing the mere bagatelles be what they be.  Que sera, sera! What will be, will be!

 I could screw a roller-blade onto the end of my walking stick to enable me to keep up with the times.  Nah! I don’t want to keep up with the times.  The present time isn’t crash-hot.

 With that being the case, by choice, I’ll remain back here, or there, where, in my opinion, the music was/is far better. 

Being a day-dream believer, doing it my way, I ain’t misbehavin’ on the sunny side of the street, nor in stormy weather.   

Oops! Hang on Sloopy! Here comes the sun, and now I can see strawberry fields forever. Don’t stop until you get enough! If I was at the bay, I’d be sitting on the dock with raindrops falling on my head.

 

Feta-Strawberry Salad: Combine 2tsp Dijon mustard, 1tsp honey, 1 small, minced shallot and 2tbs red wine vinegar; add 1/3c x-virgin olive oil; season. Put 12c packed assorted baby lettuces in bowl; add 4c sliced strawberries, 1c crumbled feta and 1c chopped smoked almonds; drizzle dressing over salad, toss well.

Salmon Fillets with Strawberry Relish: Brush 6 salmon fillets with melted butter; season. Heat skillet over med-high heat; add fillets, skin side up; cook 2-3mins per side or until fish begins to flake easily with a fork. In small bowl, toss 1-1/4c finely chopped strawberries with 1tbs minced fresh basil, 1tbs honey and dash of freshly-ground pepper. Serve salmon with relish on side, or over fillets.

Strawberry Mint Chicken: In saucepan, mix 1tbs cornflour, 1tbs sugar, 1/8tsp nutmeg, 1/8tsp pepper and 1/2c water until smooth; stir in 1c coarsely-chopped strawberries and 1/2c white wine or white grape juice. Bring to boil; reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-5mins or until thickened and strawberries are softened; stir occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in 2tsp minced mint. Season 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves. On lightly oiled grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over med-heat 5-7 mins per side; brush occasionally with 1/4c sauce during last 4mins. Serve with remaining sauce.  

Very Berry Trifle: Beat 1/2c heavy cream, 1/c icing sugar, 1-1/2tsp vanilla and1/4tsp almond extract until soft peaks form. In large trifle dish (or individual glasses), layer 8-10 cubed pound/sponge cake, whipped cream, 454g sliced strawberries, 180g each, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries and 1/2c raspberry or strawberry jam (warmed for easy pouring. Layer it anyway you like.   

 

 



21 comments:

  1. Your dishes with strawberries look great on the plate and I'm sure their taste is wonderful!
    Me, I like strawberries as they are, no other ingredients added.(Besides, it is quite a lot of work:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, DUTA...

      Like you, I don't meddle with strawberries, either. I eat them (devour them) just as they are in their natural state.

      Once upon a time when I was cooking professionally...in restaurants...I prepared them in various ways, but not these days. I eat a lot of fruit...as it comes...raw...and I love it! :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Love what you did with the songs there. I don't care so much about keeping up with the fast-paced world these days either. I'll keep to my own slow pace and hope I don't get bowled over as they all rush by. Everything and everyone goes so fast they sure as heck don't get time to smell the roses anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River. Yep...I'll just walk, stroll, at my own pace. Those who want to rush by me, can. I won't get in their way...as long as they don't get in mine!
      I've no desire to keep up with the Jones...or anyone else for that matter. :)

      I'm flat out keeping up with Remy and Shama! lol

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm laughing for I wonder why hands flapping actually does for people, people throwing their heads back what does that do for people taking pills...seems like both are over done, drama perhaps! Makes me also wonder why people don't put their chairs back in, I'm teaching the Grandchildren to put their chairs back in after leaving the dinner table, manners, manners. So many younger people don't have the art of conversation because I feel by not talking and learning to converse...nice post Lee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...And once upon a time we were taught to answer when spoken to...not grunt in return!

      I'm old-fashioned about many things, and in many ways...but that's okay with me.

      Perhaps the hand flappers are chasing away flies! ;

      Thanks for coming by, Margaret...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. I hadn't thought much about people not pushing their chairs back in after they finish eating, but it does seem to be a practice in danger of imminent demise. The other thing that drives me crazy is people wearing their hats while they eat; outdoors I can understand one may wish a little protection from the sun, but indoors? And don't even think about table manners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David....Yes...hats on heads indoors annoys me, too. I saw something similar the other day and I seethed. lol

      So many rules of good manners...or common decency...have flown out the window nowadays...unfortunately.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Clever:)
    The strawberry salad and trifle sounds delicious.
    Take special care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. I'm glad you enjoyed my bit of nonsense. :)

      You take special care, too...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Keeping up with the times, like keeping up with the Joneses, is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi...I agree wholeheartedly. Stuff the Joneses! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh dear, I have to admit to fanning my face with my hands on occasion. But not when flustered, when I've taken a mouth full of something far too hot for me to handle. It might not do much good but it helps resist the temptation to just spit it out. Well done on putting together those song titles. Gave me a good chuckle and a good chuckle never goes astray.

      Delete
    3. Hey, Pauline...nothing like a good chuckle, smile and/or laugh. I've just watched on TV, the 50 years anniversary celebration of the once very popular "Hey, Hey, It's Saturday"...and I found myself smiling and laughing throughout the 2 hour show....it was great. And such a welcome change to all the gloom and doom surrounding us all at present.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. These days Superman would have to find a vacant porta-potty. Well that is a sad thought. By the way, this morning I read that the next DC comic about Superman will depict him as a bi-sexual. WHAT!! I take my pills by the handful and don't believe I ever throw my head back, but who knows. I will pay attention next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie...I repeat "WHAT???????" I'm sick to death with all the gender-neural,politically-correct etc., bullshit! Some people are getting more ridiculous by the second!!

      Keep taking good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I do like the look and sound of your recipes here Lee ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...much fun can be had with strawberries. The best fun of all, of course, is devouring them straight from the garden or from the punnets!

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Tabor...I, too, take more than one pill at a time, but, for me, I don't throw my head back to assist in the swallowing of same.

    Poor old Superman...I think he needs us to go in aid of him for a change! :)

    Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lee, It's Ben Hackworth here - Peter and David's son.
    How are you? Great to read the article of Dad you wrote. I'm doing a PHD on documentary, testimony and mythology. And wanted to know if you're in Brisbane for a cup of coffee? Best Ben

    ReplyDelete
  11. hackworthben@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete