Saturday, October 23, 2021

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES....

 
 
Acrylic painting done by me a few years ago
 
 Both pics taken years ago when my mates were allowed outside for a brief moment or two.  They no longer go outside.




There are no roses hereabouts to smell. Instead, this morning, when I woke up, like every other morning, I woke to the sound of my male furry mate demanding I wake up!  Obeying his determined command, without further options, I woke.  And then his sister, my other furry mate woke, which meant the three of us were awake! 

I woke this morning, not only to my male furry, four-legged mate’s constant miaowing and his paw poking at my face, but also to the melodious sounds of birds singing in perfect harmony.  Through the trees the sun, in all its morning glory, sparkled like diamonds. There was no scent of roses, though.

As with the previous 70 odd mornings over the years, (and there have been quite a few “odd” ones, I can assure you...the count will be 77 very soon!) seeing I was awake, I couldn’t drag out the inevitable any longer.  From my/our bed I climbed, grumbling under my breath...and above it.  Following a joyful yippee, or three, from my two furry buddies... not from me...once I rose to greet the day, I headed to the kitchen for my daily juicing of oranges...for me, not for them.

Faster than Usain Bolt, my two CEOs beat me to the kitchen, not for juice, but for their breakfast. Do they honestly believe I’d not give them breakfast?

As always, by their speed of light pace, one would swear they’d not had a feed in a week.   They are of the misguided belief that every time I go to the kitchen my doing so means it is feed time for them.

Both have me wrapped around their furry clawed paws.  Little resistance is given by me.  What’s the point?  After 19 years, both have me well-trained.  I succumbed, and waved the flag of surrender many years ago. 

By the way...another thing...it’s okay for them to have a catnap.  What can I have?  I’m not a grandmother, so I can’t have a nana-nap!

Returning to this morning...duly woken, once I rose, I wondered what I would do for the rest of the day.  There were no roses offering up their scent to my nose...and then, I remembered the headline of a newspaper article I’d read a couple of days earlier.  It said:  “Take a Bath...for your mental health”.   So that is what I did.  However, to my surprise and dismay, I got arrested for stealing.   Never again will I be in a hurry to follow instructions of newspaper articles.  

By the skin of my teeth I escaped a harsher penalty than the one handed out to me.  Hang on! I didn’t know teeth had skin!  I’ve always of the belief teeth have enamel.  Apparently, one is never too old to learn something new.

The current, popular phase...the over-use by some within our society of the word “woke” annoys the hell out of me.

 “Woke”, not “Grease” seemingly is the “word”.  I think it’s time many woke up to themselves...paused, and grabbed a few moments to smell the roses, whether there are some or not.  It’s time to take a temporary (or permanent) respite to have a look around...to stop blindly “following invisible, faceless ‘trendsetters”.   All of a sudden, without prior warning, the word “woke”, in its present connotation, began being tossed about willy-nilly by every Willy and nearly every Nilly...but not by me, silly! 

After I woke this morning it wasn’t roses I could smell, but the singeing of raisin bread in my toaster!       

 

Gluten-Dairy Free Raisin Bread: Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk 2c gluten-free plain flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1-1/2tsp baking powder, 1/2tsp baking soda and 1/4tsp salt. In another bowl, whisk 2 large eggs, 1c coconut milk, ½ canola oil and 1tsp vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Toss 1c raisins with 1tbs gluten-free flour; fold into batter. Transfer half of the batter into greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Combine 2tsp cinnamon and 1-1/2tbs sugar; sprinkle half over batter. Repeat layers; cut through batter with knife to swirl.  Bake, 45-50mins. Cool in pan, 10 mins before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Currant-Raisin Bread: Sift 7-1/4 bread flour and1tsp cinnamon into large bowl. Make a well in centre of the flour. Add 4 packets active dry yeast and 2tsp white sugar to the well; pour in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Let stand until yeast begins to foam, about 5 mins. Stir 3/4c lukewarm water, 1c room temp milk, 2 eggs, and 1tsp salt into flour mixture until dough comes together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Add currant mixture; knead until evenly incorporated and dough is smooth and elastic, about 5mins. Transfer to a bowl; cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, 45mins to 1 hour. Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans lightly with butter. Flatten dough gently and shape into 2 loaves. Place 1 loaf in each pan; cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until puffy, about 45mins. Preheat oven 175C.  Bake loaves until firm and dark brown, about 45mins. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing, about 1 hour.     PS....add a broken up cashews to the ingredients, if you desire.

                                                                                               

 

24 comments:

  1. You've got talent; the painting of the rose is awesome!
    It feels good to wake up to the smell of raisin bread. I like the smell of any type of bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...my rose painting hangs here on the wall behind my computer desk. I think it was a fluke painting that! lol

      Thanks for coming by. Take care. :)

      Delete
  2. Love that painting.
    Sadly 'woke' seems to be used primarily as a criticism. A lazy criticism. I cannot recall anyone claiming to be woke - but have seen more than one (including the Wiggles for goodness sake) accused of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC...I like the rose, too. :)

      I'm sick of all the "in" phrases etc. Half the time those using them have no idea the true meanings behind them.

      Thanks for coming by...take care down your way. Cuddles to dear Jazz. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm very annoyed by this "woke" thing and I'm not even sure what it means. People give different meanings and I'm sure it has been appropriated by others who just want to sound like they know everything, so I'm sticking with what I know, if that makes me woke or asleep I don't much care. A lot of it is to do with all the new names for new gender identities I think. So many new pronouns to add to the regular he and she, him and her. Apparently, those of us born to a particular gender and growing up still relating to that gender are now called "cis" gender. I don't want to be "cis". I'm just me, woman, born of girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River, I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one annoyed by all the silly nonsense that's going on.

      This is where the use of "Woke" as a term as per Wikipedia...."it originated in the United States originally meant to be alert to racial prejudice and discrimination. Beginning in the 2010s, it came to encompass a broader awareness of social inequalities such as sexism, and has also been used as shorthand for left-wing ideas involving identity politics and social justice, such as the notion of white privilege and slavery reparations for African Americans.

      Yhe phrase stay woke had emerged in African-American Vernacular English by the 1930s, referring to awareness of the social and political issues affecting African Americans." END QUOTE

      How every unthinking Tom, Dick and Harry, and Harriet who think they are "thinking" use believing it makes them sound "with it"!!

      Your thought are similar to mine regarding all this nonsense that is going on.

      Take care....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Love the rose you painted I'm certain you have more of your artwork to show us. The English language is getting weird to say the least, so many words said and put in different context to how I was taught the Queen's English - oh well, sign of the times I'm afraid.
    My cat when he was with us now with the cat angels, he used to jump on my head when he wanted to go outside in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...I've quite a few paintings and drawings/sketches. I've not done any for quite a while...and I keep meaning pick up the brushes and pencils again...one day soon, perhaps.

      I feel like placing myself in my own personal bubble...away from the rest of the world and all the silly nonsense that goes on.

      Thanks for coming by. Take care. :)

      Delete
  5. I have not used the word "woke" in its present incarnation, and I pledge not to do so! In fact I am not completely sure that I would know how to use it. My life will go on unimpeded, and my use of language will no doubt suffice as it always has. I have no furry companions, but I do hear the non-furry one stirring so I'll pour her coffee. Then she'll know she woke up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David...like you, I've not used the word "woke" that way, either...and I won't ever do so, I can assure you.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. Time for another cup of coffee! :)

      Delete
  6. That is a lovely painting. YOu should return to that. My cat used to wake me every morning...I was not happy about it, but I was in my teens then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...I keep telling myself I should do some more painting. I started sketching again a few months ago...bu that is as far as it got...and it wasn't very far!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. I'll join the anti-woke team. I've never used the word out loud in case the word that I put after it pops out of my mouth. That's been happening a bit lately so I must be careful. Love your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline...so much of what goes on in the world today frustrates, annoys and angers me. Stop the world I want to get off is becoming my mantra.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. A rose by any other name... :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful painting. Your cat buddies are awesome, and indeed most catlike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, messymimi...it is a favourite of mine.

      My two furry mates are my best buddies...I'd be lost without them. They are loves of my life. They help, as best they can, to keep me sane!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  9. I was interested in your response to River. I had no idea about the origin of 'woke' and little idea of what it really means in its current usage. Despite that I didn't like the term and now I like it even less. I didn't use it before I read this and I shall not be using it after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are of kind mind, Graham. I've never used, and have no intention of ever doing so.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. I do like your painting of the rose.
    I also like the look of the raisin bread, delicious with butter and a cup of tea :)

    Take care, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surprised myself with that painting! I like it, too! lol

      I enjoy raisin toast...now I feel like a couple of slices and I have none!

      Take care, Jan...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my, Lee, I am really out of the loop here because I had no idea about the work "woke" other than to mean having awakened. Guess that's what comes of not being current on social media (other than blogging). of course, you do know that the cats merely "tolerate" a human sharing their space. The raisin bread looks wonderful and now I am thinking I must try making a loaf this week as it would be perfect with afternoon tea...cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice...I'm in search of a time capsule...I want to hop into one and head back in time. I'm fed-up with the current time!!

      I wish I had some raisin bread...I feel like a slice or two this morning.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. That's a master painting there, that rose. And it's so much fun to read about your cats. Pictures even. Seeing those loaves of raisin bread makes me want to ask, do they have the equivalent there of the show The Great British Baking Championship? It's a favorite of our's here.

    Like your previous commenter, I only know the traditional meaning of "woke".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dave. I like my rose, too. I surprised myself with that one!! It must have been having a good day when I painted it! lol

      My two best mates are the loves of my life...and they know it...and play upon it! For a number of years now they've been indoor cats. I don't let them outside...and they do not mind one bit. :)

      We have a few cooking shows on TV here..."MasterChef Australia" being one of the more popular ones...it's been going for years.

      I hope all is well up your way...take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete