Sunday, April 19, 2020

FOR THE FUN OF IT...THINGS I FIND ANNOYING...












Listed below are a few human traits and actions I find very annoying, and anger-making...I’m sure there are more....

Never fear!  Freely I admit I’m not exempt!  I have traits that annoy others, of that I am certain.  Hey! I have traits that annoy me!  And, if given a chance, I’m sure Remy and Shama would add their two bobs worth!

Here I go......

People who say they are going to do something, and then don't follow through without a valid, believable reason.

Snobs, whether they be social, or intellectual

People who rudely talk over you (me) when you’re (I’m) speaking.  The persons more interested in hearing their own voice, rather than listening to what another is saying.  Wait your turn!

Similar applies to those who interrupt and finish off your story for you...even though they never played a role in the actual incident. Those who interrupt the story-line as if they actually were present when the event, the subject of your story occurred.

Liars

Litterbugs

Hypocrites

Bad hygiene

Ill-mannered people....

Bad table manners

Insensitivity...thoughtlessness

Greed...in all its forms.  (Witness the behaviour of some at buffets!!!!)

No sense of humour...no sense of the ridiculous...not being able to laugh at one’s own self...all of the before-mentioned!

Abuse of others...mental/emotional and physical

People who say, for reasons known only to them, they never watch television, and yet, can quote verbatim sections from various programmes!

Meanness/stinginess

Tardiness

Being taken for granted

Free-loaders

Anyone, for his/her own pleasure, who tries (and/or succeeds) to belittle another

Unnecessary vulgarity

Predators of the human variety

Hinting

Vandalism

Stupidity

Unkindness

Malevolence

Cruelty to animals

Know-it-alls

Self-righteous smugness

People who treat you as if you know nothing

Unnecessary, unwarranted sarcasm


My impatience with myself annoys me...so I’m not let off the hook, by any shape or form!  Being far from perfect, I admit there are blots on my own copybook that I shan’t divulge here and now!!  I refuse to encourage you!!!

Being the weird creature that I am (I’m allowed to say this)...I am a creature of certain habits...e.g...I always start at the same end of the supermarket...at the green-grocery section...finishing up at the pet food section, which is down the far end...the opposite end.

I hate shopping in large, bustling shopping centres, and haven’t done so for 16 years or more...give or take.  

Living here on Tamborine Mountain (for 18 years as of 13th April) is great because shopping locally has a 'village-atmosphere"...familiarity...which I love.  I have no desire to battle the madding crowd of the Gold Coast, or the city of Brisbane. 

It’s the way I am...the way I feel...who I am...so bet it.  I’m too old...too lazy to change....

If and when I need to purchase something that's not available here on the mountain, I let my fingers do the driving and walking...I shop online.  My purchases are delivered to my door by very pleasant local couriers.  In most instances, whatever it is I’ve purchased arrives within three or four days of ordering, which suits me fine.   

Last week, when delivering a parcel to me, I gave a pile of chocolates to one of the couriers to share with another (for their kiddies).  It was a joy to see her eyes light up, sparkling like stars at night, and her wide smile.  Her reaction...the look on her face...brightened my day.   

It’s that kind of human interaction and reaction, which makes living worthwhile, in my opinion.  It’s fun!

Each to their own ways, of course...friends of mine who once lived here on the hill used to think my behaviour...my choices...very weird. They loved going down to the Gold Coast to shop...about 40ks each way.  They would drive to the Coast’s large shopping centres at least once a week, but more often than not, three or four times a week! That is not my style at all! I’d go crazy...crazier than I already am! I couldn’t stand doing that...I couldn’t sit doing it, either!

We’re all different, with different habits...different quirks.  Different strokes for different folks...and I am different...this I do not shy away from admitting.

Another thing that is weird about me is I'm not fond of being out at sea in a boat.  (Going on a cruise has never been on my bucket list; nor has it ever been a dream of mine).

And yet, during my life I’ve lived on two islands...Hinchinbrook Island and Newry Island where travelling by boat to and from the islands was inescapable.

On Hinchinbrook Island I never had to drive a boat.  Bob, the skipper of the contracted “Reef Venture” based at Cardwell on the mainland, took care of all the guest transfers, and provision drop-offs etc.  Some of my male staff members were in command of the island’s smaller 5-metre Abalone aluminium boat, named, ”Lady of the Island”....”Lady” for short.

However, when I lived on Newry Island, I drove the island boat to and from the mainland.   To reach the resort’s 21-foot De Havilland Trojan, every time I needed to shoot off to pick up guests and/or provisions, it was necessary for me to row a little dinghy to the Trojan’s mooring, which was out in the deep water of the channel between my island and Outer Newry Island.

Being the skipper was different to being a passenger.  Even though I'd never driven a boat before I lived on Newry, being in control of the boat, I never suffered sea sickness, when as a passenger I could be prone.  

Living on Newry, and running the small resort thereon, I didn't have another option. I lived on the island alone.  If I wasn’t the skipper, my two cats, Pushkin and Rimsky weren’t prepared to venture out to sea, even though they loved fresh seafood!   And, they dined...feasted...on an abundance of fresh seafood when they were island residents!

I suppose being a woman, living on the island alone and managing it alone was weird, too. Lots of folk asked me if I was scared/nervous living on the island alone.

My truthful, smiling reply was always: "If I was that kind of person, I wouldn't be doing it, would I?"

Being on Hinchinbrook Island I learned much about myself...things I’d not known about myself previously, and would have argued until I was blue in the face if certain subjects had been raised. To my surprise, I discovered I loved flying in light/small aircraft...seaplanes, in particular.

Another weird thing about me is...I loved Hinchinbrook Island and Newry Island, but I hate Fraser Island!

My now late ex-husband, Randall and I spent a lot of time on Fraser Island when we lived in the Noosa Heads area, but I never really enjoyed going there. Something about the island gave me the creeps, for whatever the reason...one that shall remain unsolved.

Much of the above I’ve previously written about.  If I’ve bored you, I apologise.

Boring people are very annoying, too!   *Smile*


Fish and Prawn Pasties: Melt 30g butter in saucepan over med-heat. Add 30g plain flour; cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Gradually add 250ml milk, in 3 batches, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, 5 mins or until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Gently stir in 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges, 1fennel, very thinly sliced, reserved fennel fronds, 1 potato chopped into 1cm pieces, 75g frozen peas, pinch of cayenne pepper, finely grated rind of 2 lemons, lemon juice, some fresh thyme leaves, 6 flat-leaf parsley sprigs, finely chopped and pinch of salt. Set aside until cooled to room temperature. Stir in 200g white fish fillets cut into 2cm pieces, 100g skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1cm pieces,  and 100g peeled prawn meat, cut into 2cm pieces; place in fridge to cool completely.  Preheat oven, 200C.  Line a baking tray with baking paper.  Using a dinner plate as a guide, cut 4 x 21.5cm discs from 4 sheets of just-thawed puff pastry. Place one-quarter of the filling over one-half of each pastry disc, leaving a 2cm border. Fold the other half of the pastry over to enclose. Fold in the edge and press to seal. Place on the lined tray. Brush with egg. Cut a slit in the top of each pasty to allow steam to escape.  Bake 25-30 mins, or until puffed and golden. Set aside for 5 mins to cool before serving. 




30 comments:

  1. I am telling you Lee - we are two peas in a pod - I have the same dislikes as you. I like honest - responsible people - who do what they say - and tell the truth.
    Your food looked good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh...it's a good pod, Sandie...comfortable and cosy! :)

      Honesty will win over dishonesty every time.

      I wouldn't mind one or two of those pasties now! :)

      Take good care. I hope all is well with you and your family...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:42 PM

    Talking over people is bad, but then there are people who won't let anyone get a word in at all and if you want to say anything, you must interrupt them. As you have a good local village to shop, I don't blame you for not wanting to go to the coast. Gold Coast has an appeal to tourists, rightly as I discovered but I can't see much appeal about it for locals. We too like our local shops for local people, right on the edge of a massive city. Going off topic now, but it is unfortunate that so many smaller shops have been driven out of business by large chains. We used to like our small hardware store, small men's wear shops, local paint shop. The list is long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Andrew...with those people who won't let me get a word in...I've learned to let them have their way. It's not worth even wasting my time trying to stop them. I've learned just to nod...and switch off. They don't if you do manage to get a word or two in...so it's not worth wasting my time. :)

      The Gold Coast has never appealed to me on a tourist level, either. I always preferred the Sunshine Coast...i.e. Noosa and Sunshine Beach...again, personal, individual preference.

      Thanks for coming by...keep taking good care. I hope your Mum is okay. :)

      Delete
  3. I like your list. I am not a fan of arrogance either - it so often seems misplaced. And yes I know some of your other items touched on that.
    And yes, I miss the small stores. The personal touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, EC, re arrogance...and re it being so often, too often misplaced. Some are too arrogant to recognise their own arrogance. They suffering such a malady need bringing back down to earth...with a thud! :)

      Thanks for coming by...I hope all is well with you...take care. :)

      Delete
  4. I have met everyone of those people you have just mentioned, but then again I have a guilty feeling that on some necessary occasion I myself have been guilty too, but to possess all of those traits would qualify you as being the complete asshole.
    The current Asshole of the moment Is none other than a self confessed and heartilly disliked Ex prime minister of our great nation. simply described as a narcissus Twit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can certainly agree with your list of dislikes! Completely. You have had a lot of interesting experiences including being the skipper of a boat! I'm with you on staying away from large shopping areas too. In fact I hate any kind of shopping period. We live in a very small town outside a large city and that is just the way I like it. Small town life is the best in my mind but still we are not far from the city if we want to go to the museums or anything like that. Take care and love those kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Bonnie...I like the small towns/areas,too. I wouldn't feel comfortable living in a city nowadays...I've been away from them for too long. Plus, I was raised in a small town...not a city.

      I hope all is going well with you and yours...and continues on a positive path. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. My impatience with myself annoys me too, but I get over it pretty quickly. A few other things that annoy me are people who talk to me on the bus when they can plainly see I'm reading a book, people who continually tell me their way to do things is the right way even though I've been doing the same things my way for years without any trouble, and bosses who change the shift roster then "forget" to tell me so they have a reason the tell me off when I turn up at what I thought was the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Yep! All of the above, River! It looks like I've started something! Hahahahaha!

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Bonnie. I live in a quiet seaside area on the central coast of Australia. Our capital state city is Sydney, which lies 60 miles south. Over the past twenty years my only reason to go to Sydney was to go to the airport and fly to Heathrow To visit family who mostly by choice live in the least populated ares of mother England. My early years were spent off the grid, water pump, candles and bucket dunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't mind me responding, Vest...that quiet seaside area sounds wonderful. :)

      Delete
  8. Like your list and agree with many things you've written.
    How about those people who only talk about what happened to them, not interested what has happened to you - they are not worth talking to :) It's a blessing to be able to listen to them!
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margaret...I meant to add them to my list...I was just thing about it a short while ago.

      I hate it when people think until I met them...I never had a previous life...that I never did anything....that it all began upon meeting them...and all before was/is non-existent.

      I know the type to whom you refer! lol

      Thanks for coming by...stay well and safe. :)

      Delete
  9. My goodness Lee that's a very long list. It's a wonder you survived in hospitality:)
    Tell us about your likes sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a strange thing to say, Cathy! lol

      Do you believe for one to be in the hospitality industry one has to accept bad behaviour, bad attitudes bad manners etc., from others? That one has to bow down submissively to the public?

      I believe I express my "likes" frequently. Actually, not very long ago I posted a list of some of the things I like.

      Am I allowed only to express the things I like and love...and not the things I dislike? Hmmmmm....interesting....

      Do I detect a slight hint of sarcasm in your comment? :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. Stay safe...stay well. :)

      Delete
    2. Lee I'm sorry you took my comment the way you did. I couldn't be sarcastic if I tried.

      As they say 'your blog' 'your writings'. You can talk about anything you like. I know you often speak and reflect on/about incidents/happenings from your life but it seemed strange for you to be so outspoken about other peoples behaviour
      I've had several blogging breaks recently so maybe that's why I didn't remember your 'lthings I like post'
      Take care - I certainly will. Hoping to be able to return to your fabulous corner of the world and all pints north soon.

      Delete
    3. I hope you can return to this part of the world, soon, too, Cathy. :)

      I'm sure everyone is affected by the behaviour of others...good and bad...and to speak about it doesn't seem strange to me. I don't class my list as being "outspoken"...I believe it's an honest assessment. I don't understand why I should have to hide my dislikes...dislikes, I believe, most others would have similar feelings about.

      Each of us is different, of course. If I offended you, that was not my intention...far from it. :)

      Delete
  10. I can't disagree with almost everything you've said (I really find people who use double negatives instead of a positive quite irritating). However "Unnecessary vulgarity" makes me wonder when vulgarity may be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point taken re "vulgarity", Graham. Sometimes slip-ups are unintentionally made, much to the maker's embarrassment. :)

      I hope all is going well with you up your way, Graham...and that the sun is still shining brightly. Do take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Your list covers it all pretty well! I've got almost the same likes and dislikes.
    You, a skipper! - I'm impressed. I usually get seasick, so I rarely travel by boat or go on a cruise.
    I prefer shopping at the local supermarket rather than at the smaller shops, as it gives me more anonimity, there's a greater variety of items and prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...When I moved to Newry Island I had to learn very quickly how to drive the island's boat. If not, I would have been stranded...no guests...no food...no anything. There was no one else other than me to do the job, so I jumped in boots and all.

      Well...no boots...I never wore shoes when I drove the boat...and I only wore my bathing suit when doing so, too. I figured if something went wrong and I ended up in the ocean, at least I wouldn't be hampered by clothes and shoes as I swum to shore!

      Everything happened so quickly when I took over the running of the little resort, I didn't even have the time to get my boat license...and that is another story which I shall relate another day!!! It is an interesting tale in itself!! :)

      Keep taking good care...I hope all is well with you and your loved ones...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I am sure that none of us would disagree with anything you have on your list. Bad behavior and cruelty are such a turn off to most people. We have all been guilty of momentary lapses in judgement but thankfully most of us learn from our mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Arleen...I agree with what you say. None of us is perfect...I certainly am not, that is for sure...and I readily admit it.

      To remember...to do our utmost to put into practice wherever and whenever...the good manners our parents did their best to instill within us when we were little kids should always be of importance.

      Thanks for coming by...I hope all is well with you and your loved ones...and I hope it remains so. Take care. :)

      Delete
  13. You are not boring, or annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm not, messymimi. My two furry mates think I'm annoying when I disturb them when they're sleeping! :)

      Take good care...I hope all is well with you and your family...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Next time I need to vent my spleen I'll start one of those lists. Although if I don't have much time, I could just copy and paste your list. I'm with you about avoiding the bright lights. I think those of us who can live as we wish are the truly lucky ones on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline...I have nothing to complain about...there are a lot...millions more people far worse off than I am. I'm doing okay. I have four walls around me, a roof over my head, enough food etc. My quiet, by choice, existence hasn't changed. And my two furry mates are with me, as always. There is little else I need. :)

      There are millions of people in this world of ours who don't have any of that...not just presently...but at all other times. And, this we must not forget....they we must not forget. We're not hearing about those people.

      I hope there are people taking care of those who are homeless...who are in poverty-stricken areas/countries. They need assistance now more than ever, I am sure. We're not hearing anything about them...

      I really wasn't "venting"...the title of this post starts of - "FOR THE FUN OF IT...." I'm sure I'm not Robinson Crusoe by being the sole inhabitant of this planet who gets annoyed by the behaviour of others! If I am, I surely wasn't aware until now! lol

      Hell! I even annoy myself at times...more times than I can count on my toes and fingers..and I'm not missing any of those! :)

      Ahhh...keep taking good care of yourself, Pauline...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. Gosh what a list, and a good list too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete