Wednesday, April 08, 2020

PASSA DA PASTA AND PASSATA FASTA PLEASE!!!




I’m wondering what those people who have been hoarding all the pasta...those who have wiped out Australia’s stock, and elsewhere throughout the world ...are making with their hordes of pasta. It’s past a joke! Are they using their noodle? 

Have they thought to buy the ingredients needed to make the sauces to go with the pasta? 

Surely they aren’t adding their stash of baked beans to the spaghetti, macaroni, tagliatelle, rigatoni, penne etc! 

At least our much-maligned cows and bulls will have Greta and her mob off their backs for a change. 

Bessie, Molly Moo-Cow, Angus Bull, Ferdinand, and their mates won’t have to shoulder the blame for methane emissions now humans are devouring baked beans by the truckload.  Finally able to graze peacefully, collectively they’ll be chewing their cud without having to look over their shoulders. 

There will be nothing moo-t about the subject discussed; human behaviour will be the focus of their conversations. 

It’s blatantly obvious who now are full of hot air!  It’s those who are devouring baked beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They are the ones responsible for methane gas emissions, putting an end to blaming our bovine friends.  

The latest baked bean craze has replaced smashed avos on toast.  That’s toast!  Avos are safe!

Here we are!  It’s Easter...(Easter Eve...Easter Thursday...as I write and post....)

For many, because of the present circumstances, their Easter plans have been altered. That doesn’t have to be a bad thing.   

Now people just have to decide where to go. Hmmm!  Will it be to the bedroom or the lounge room?

Somebody said ages ago, perhaps in a fortune cookie...“Plans are made to be changed”.  

US President Dwight D. Eisenhower had his own versions – “Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable”...as well as...”Plans are worthless, but planning is essential”; which means, of course, you can expand where to roam during the weekend...head off to the kitchen, as well. Some of that load of pasta needs cooking. 

The bathroom will have to be the least visited...of course.  Are further details necessary?

A perfect plan is to show consideration and sensitivity towards others.  

Christmas isn’t the only season to be jolly, nor is it the only time to spread goodwill. Every day should be filled with goodwill. 

Nowadays there appears to be too many self-centred people, thinking only of themselves.  An awakening, rude or otherwise, is required for such a person to become aware of the fact he or she is not the most important person in the world. 

Presently we can’t reach out and touch others physically; but kind words, spoken/shouted, or written, and a smile to express empathy aren’t forbidden. Let others know you care.

 If someone innocently, involuntarily, reaches out to wish you well when you're doing essential shopping at your supermarket don’t turn into a frenzied banshee, nostrils flaring, eyes filled with venom, while snarling viciously through clenched teeth for them to not touch you.   

Spontaneous, heartfelt actions are natural to most folk; old habits are difficult to break. 

Sadly, at the moment, for some time to come, we have to sit on our hands, so to speak, and curtail our natural reactions.

An impromptu, not-meant-to-be offensive gesture doesn’t deserve a savage reaction.
  
Smile...don’t snarl...

In worrying times, laughter is excellent medicine.  Laughter doesn’t require a doctor’s prescription. 

There are many kind, thoughtful, caring folk who go quietly about their business... about their lives...acting generously towards others, not asking for recognition or front page headlines.  We don’t hear enough about the good ones, but they are here, there, and everywhere.   

Thanks..our heartfelt thank you to all those on the front lines - in many fields..those who are selflessly putting their own health at risk...to serve others.  

Being confined to quarters is not so bad, you know!  Spare a thought for those far worse off. Sadly, there are many who are.
  
Share smiles, and “G’day!”...”Hello!”, or..."I hope all is well with you!  Take good care!”...even if shouted from afar.  

Obey the rules...respect the restrictions....

Be thoughtful. Be sensitive, not ignorant, towards the situation of others. Play nice...be nice.  Be aware...take care.  

Don’t be a Henny Penny or Chicken Little...the sky isn’t falling!  The Easter Bird has just upturned her basket full of Easter eggs...that’s all!!


Because I’ve just stuffed my face with Cherry Ripes I’m incapable of saying anything else other than........

“Happy Easter everyone!  Spread the love around, not germs!”  


Cherry Tomato Sauce: Place 500g halved cherry tomatoes on baking tray; drizzle with 2tbs olive oil; sprinkle with Italian herbs; season. Roast in 180C oven, 20-25mins, until collapsed and lightly caramelised. Heat 110ml olive oil in pan over med-heat; cook 6 garlic cloves, sliced, 2 finely chopped, long red chillies (or chilli flakes, to taste) and 1 finely-chopped medium onion. Cook pasta al dente; toss with sauce; add juice of 1 lemon and 1/4c finely chopped Italian parsley; sprinkle over grated Parmesan.

Spinach, Pumpkin, Walnut Sauce: Coat 2c cubed butternut or jap pumpkin in 1tbs olive oil; season. Bake in 225C oven, 40-50mins, until pumpkin turns soft, lightly caramelised. Heat 2tbs olive oil in pan. Fry 2-3 finely diced garlic cloves gently on a low-med heat, stirring frequently. Add ½-1tsp chilli flakes; cook 1-2mins. Cook 200g spaghetti for a minute shorter than you would normally. Mash half the pumpkin to a smooth texture. Put mash and whole chunks into pan with chilli and garlic. Add drained pasta and 100g washed spinach leaves into pan; incorporate them well into the pumpkin. Season to taste with pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice, and additional salt and chilli, if needed. Serve immediately, sprinkled with 30g finely chopped walnuts and lemon zest.

Avocado Sauce: Process until smooth,  1 garlic clove, 1/4c basil leaves; add 1-2tbs lemon juice, to taste, 1 avocado and 1tbs water If the sauce is too thick, add a bit more oil; season to taste.  Stir through hot, drained, cooked pasta of choice; top with lemon zest.  




27 comments:

  1. I don't have any trouble with eating baked beans, not even so much as a puff of air, but watch out if I've been eating supermarket rotisserie chicken!
    This is going to be a trying time for many families who aren't used to being all at home together for days at a time and it looks like it will be far longer than we thought. I read in yesterday's paper Australia isn't expected to reach the peak of infections until about October.
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River...when I buy a supermarket rotisserie chicken it is a rule I have to share it with Remy! Shama doesn't twitch a whisker...bur Remy loves BBQ chicken.
      We don't have "Blazing Saddles" moments from either the chicken, or baked beans...that I am aware of.....:)

      Enjoy the Easter weekend...take care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Enjoy the long weekend...take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Spread love, not germs, i like that.

    It doesn't cost anything to smile and be friendly, and to remember that everyone has their hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, messymimi...smiling is much more fun than scowling....and much easier. Upward lips stop downward jowls! :)

      Take good care...enjoy your Easter weekend. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for such a happy post, Lee, full of the joys of life (and Easter). Hopefully not too full of beans. You'd be safe here. Go well and enjoy Easter in whatever way suits you best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Pauline. A bit of fun, as well as a lot of fun, never goes astray, in my opinion. We must never lose our sense of humour is my motto! :)

      I might have invented a new sauce for pasta...Penne da Beans...or Baked Beans Lasagne!

      Enjoy the coming long weekend...Happy Easter...take good care...best wishes to you and yours. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Easter to you and the furry overlords. Some pasta is sneaking back into our supermarkets now. And some tissues. Flour and yeast are still missing - perhaps on a camping trip with toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, EC. I'm not a religious person, other than I'm devoted to Cherry Ripes. :)

      Flour is still missing from our supermarket here, or was the last time I was there, earlier this week. I have to laugh...I wonder what everyone is baking...obviously not cakes, because the shelves bearing the cake and muffin mixes are full to overflowing! :)

      Toilet paper was still missing in action.

      Have an enjoyable weekend...take care...stay well. :)

      Delete
  5. The hoarding situation where I live seems to be a changing thing. At first I could not buy any pasta as you said it was all apparently being hoarded. After the first couple of weeks I could get pasta but I could not find any rice. Now I'm wondering what will be next! But the toliet paper, well, we still can't find that and I am just thankful we had previously stocked up on it.

    I hope you and your wonderful felines have a very happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie....like you, my toilet paper stocks are never in short supply. It's something I have never wanted to run out of...so I've always had that covered. :)

      Our local supermarket here has been out of the in-demand product for about the past five weeks.

      Have a Happy, relaxed Easter weekend...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. Nice post - it is funny to think how far apart we live - yet we are experiencing the same thing.
    Have a blessed Easter. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie...yes...the world over is in the same boat. It's feeling a bit like Noah's Ark! :)

      Take good care...Happy Easter to you...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. There's been no real panic buying or hoarding here and the shops seemed to be pretty well stocked. I'm not sure why there's not been the same reaction here as in the rest of the world. There's no lockdown either - everything remains open, though people are taking precautions with wearing latex gloves, a few wearing masks, keeping a good distance from one another (though Swedes do that normally anyway!) and of course lots of hand sanitising and washing. We are being asked not to travel over Easter, but not forbidden to do so. It remains to be seen whether people stay home or not.

    I'm going to have to try that Spinach, Pumpkin, Walnut Sauce - it sounds delicious and just the sort of thing I love to eat.

    I hope that you have a Happy Easter, despite the circumstances. I hear the Easter Bunny has been given permission to travel, so my young granddaughter in Sydney will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marie...we've not met before as far as I am aware. It's nice to meet you. :)

      Having to remain at home doesn't worry me...I'm a home-body at any given time. So, being in self-isolation with my two furry mates isn't an uncommon occurrence for me. :)

      If precautions have to be taken for everyone's health and welfare, and that of our neighbours, near, far and wide, so be it. It is for our good.

      Many throughout the world are hurting financial...and everyone, in one way or the other, will be affected...be a victim. These are strange times...

      If precautions weren't put in place I can just imagine the hullabaloo. It's a case of be damned if they do...and be damned if they don't in reference to those looking out for the welfare of the people. Let's hope this will soon come to an end...and positivity, productivity, good health, and calm shall flood the world...and we all come out the other end all the better for it...with more understanding and compassion for our fellowman...far and wide.

      One can only hope...

      I hope you have a Happy Easter, too. I got dressed up as the Easter Bunny (it doesn't take much...I'm always a bit of a bunny), and have my supply of chocolate already on hand...within arms' reach! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  8. Anonymous4:11 AM

    I am seeing people being kind to each other like I have not seen before. We are all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we are, Andrew...that we are. Let's hope the camaraderie continues longer than Covid-19.

      Except for that woman that snarled at me at the supermarket a couple of weeks ago! What dragon she is! What a witch!!! She shall remain unnamed, other than for me to say she is a well-known Aussie actress!!! lol

      Take good care. I hope you and R have a Happy Easter...enjoy. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Pasta is hard to find here also. I have a feeling that everybody has gone back to eating casseroles like they did in the 70s. They usually last a few days and having to cook less is a good thing.

    Stay safe, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Arleen...nice to see you. :)

      Simple, quick and easy for me these days. When I do cook meat sauces, stews etc., I make enough so I can freeze a few meals. When cooking for one, that is the most sensible way of things. I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegies...and raw mixed nuts. As long as I have those...and cheese..and yoghurt...I'm a happy little Vegemite. Oh! As long as I have Vegemite and crunchy Peanut Paste/Butter, I'm happy! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by....a Happy Easter to you and yours from me. :)

      Delete
  10. Happy Easter Lee, enjoy yourself.
    We don't eat much pasta, more of a veggie and meat person/people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Margaret. I like pasta, but don't eat it often enough to go crazy and buy the supermarket out of stock of it! lol

      I just don't understand the behaviour of some people...I never have, I guess!

      Happy Easter to you and your family, Margaret...take good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. I haven't noticed a pasta shortage here but, then again, I haven't really looked. There's no toilet paper or disinfectant products, of course. Hopefully, what I have will last until the stores get (and stay!) restocked. People seem to be maintaining their cool and optimism. They're keeping their distance from each other, as they should be, but I haven't seen any public displays of nasty. Hope that continues! Wishing you and your furry little companions a happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serena. In our local supermarket here the shelves are bare of many products...including pasta and flour...and have been for quite a while. God only knows what people intend doing with it all! lol

      There are been some nasty behaviour directed at the staff at our local supermarket. It is uncalled for...unnecessary, despicable behaviour...and those responsible should be named and shamed...and their photos put on the large glass front doors of the store!

      There are no excuse for such bad behaviour. I am so sick of igorance, and ignorant people.

      I wish you and yours a Happy Easter, too...take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Lee,

    Wishing you and yours a happy Easter, and if you're staying home (sorry, couldn't help it) have a great/relaxing holiday weekend. :)

    Thanks for stopping by and I swear I only have two packages of pasta in me pantry :)

    (PLUS the sauce and some meat in the freezer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Mark...I always stay home! This is nothing out of the normal for me. lol

      I'm a bit of a hermit (always with plenty of supplies)...so having to stay at home worries me not.

      I have my two furry mates to keep me company. However, they have taken control of what programmes must be watched on via streaming services!! I have no say whatsoever!!! :)

      Take good care...stay healthy....and thanks for coming by. A Happy Easter to you and yours...cook that pasta one strand at a time! lol

      Delete
  13. As a last resort I may be tempted to eat bake beans,they tend to propel me to the dunny.
    I chose the following sentence from your post.


    Christmas isn’t the only season to be jolly, nor is it the only time to spread goodwill. Every day should be filled with goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Vest...I like baked beans. I don't eat them that often, but I've always got a couple of tins in my cupboard. No panic-buying them by me. I just made sure I had a healthy supply of Cherry Ripes on hand for Easter! I hope you enjoyed your Easter. :)

      Thanks for coming by...it's always a pleasure to have you pay a visit. Thanks, also, for highlighting my above sentences and sentiments. Take good care. :)

      Delete
  14. Hello Lee. I'm hoping your Easter was the way you hoped it would be. Peaceful and quiet.
    I haven't been to the shops for over a couple of weeks so today's the day to see what's left on the shelves. No need for pasta rice or toilet rolls as I always have those on hand. Fresh fruit and veggies are on the list plus bread.
    I definitely hope all I come across will be kind and gives me a wide berth accompanied by a big smile - supermarket shopping is not my favourite pastime at the best of times. Watch out Safeway here I come

    ReplyDelete