Sunday, May 21, 2006

Quote of the Day: "I'd gone so far out on a limb about my feelings, but I hadn't understood I was standing out there alone"

How many times has that happened to you? Just another embarrassing moment to add to the many? Never mind, worse things can happen, I'm sure. The above quote is stolen from Carrie of "Sex in the City" fame. Some shows are dearly missed and that's one I miss. It was funny, wise, witty, raw, to the point...and oh! Those clothes! Too infrequently a television show comes along bringing with it such colourful characters. Wonderful characters who become like friends. You look forward to seeing them again and again to hear the stories of their spirited adventures. And then the show closes and they go away. It's like you've lost your friends...all in one hit!

I love a well-written, expertly-crafted script. They're few and far between. I'm a huge fan of any show created by David E. Kelley...for those reasons. His scripts are always quirky, funny, empathetic, clever and are capable of tugging at one's heart strings at the right moment.

I don't know why or how I got to writing about the above...my initial intention was to share with you a recipe. I guess I should continue with my original intentions! Maybe I should rename it "Digression Lamb"!

Lay one medium-sized, boned and trimmed leg of lamb on benchtop. Prepare a stuffing by soaking 80g dried apricots, 80g pitted prunes in water for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid. Chop apricots, prunes and two shallots. Mix with 2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs and some fresh rosemary leaves. Mix in juice and grated rind of 1/2 orange, salt and pepper. Stuff leg of lamb and pin end flaps over with skewers. Tie meat firmly with string into a roll. Cover surface of lamb with cranberry sauce. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary leaves. Place on a rack in baking pan with a little water in the base. Roast on centre shelf of a 200C oven for 55-60 minutes. Remove meat from oven. Set aside in a warm place. Meanwhile, make a sauce by pouring off the fat from baking dish, deglaze with Grand Marnier (have a sip or two for yourself!) and the soaking liquid. Simmer for 5 mins, stirring well. Serve with sliced lamb.

Doesn't that sound nice?


No comments:

Post a Comment