Friday, April 20, 2018

UNBEATABLE FEATS


Roses are red...so are some faces...
Don't Fret...It Happens To Us All!



You, me, that fellow over there, the woman waiting at the bus stop, along with millions of others – we’ve all experienced an embarrassing moment or three while travelling along Life’s meandering highway.  We’ve dodged pot holes; fallen down a few; jumped hurdles, not always successfully.

Not one of us can claim to be "Robinson Crusoe"...even he couldn't because he had his man "Friday" there with him, from Monday through to Sunday!

Freely I admit I’ve had my fair share of instances when I’ve gone over my quota of embarrassing moments.  I’ve far too many inglorious disasters to list.  Although, one day I might write a book about them...watch this space....

I'm sure my moments of "glory" have not yet come to an end!

You know those episodes to which I refer.  Don’t pretend they’ve never happened to you.  You know they have; and we know they have.  You wouldn’t be human if you’ve travelled this far in life without more than one such moment

Let’s be honest...some embarrassing moments have been very funny.  It does one good to be able to laugh at one’s own self.

There you are...you’ve turned as red as a beetroot, standing on one leg amongst a group of people – and, your stance is not because you’re eager to find the nearest toilet!

You’re posturing on one leg because your other foot is placed securely in your mouth.  It feels like it will be lodged there forever.

With eyes bulging, you’re executing an admirable balancing act, one worthy of an Olympic Gold Medal.   

The achievement is made even more noteworthy if you’ve got a drink in one hand, a canapĂ© in the other, and nowhere to hide – with not an escape hatch in sight.

Where is that rock when you desperately need to crawl under it?   In fact, you discover you are between it and a hard place.

Those cringe-worthy moments of major embarrassment when you feel sure if the lights went out you’d glow in the dark!   Therefore, even under the cloak of darkness, there is no hiding place.

Humans are colourful beings. We are creatures of many hues.

Homo sapiens can be green with envy; purple with rage; cowardly yellow.

Some are black and white (I’m not referring to skin colour); some prefer to remain grey because they feel it is the easier option; many are blue.

Many are as brown as berries; tanned as leather; and then there are those who are orange from artificial tanning gone wrong.  Others are flushed more than the porcelain bowl in the bathroom.

The human palette is a kaleidoscopic spectrum greater than the variegation of a rainbow!

Mingled with our mosaic, colourful patchwork, we seethe, simmer, boil, rage, rant, laugh and cry, interspersed with periods of calm, peace, empathy, love and mellowness.

We humans are a potpourri of ever-changing, mobile ingredients.

We go white from shock; ashen with sorrow; scarlet in shame or embarrassment; blush crimson when flattered.

The moments we want to become invisible, we can’t (although, quite often I believe I have conquered the ability to become invisible).  

Many are transparent when lying.  

Others become dim, unable to understand the punch-line of a joke, or when attempting to decipher a mathematical equation.

On top of our countless talents, we humans are not only capable of wearing spectacles, we are also adept at making spectacles of ourselves.

What a feat!  One that’s hard to beat!


(Acrylic painting and graphite sketch both by me  - once again, I'm probably embarrassing myself)!!

27 comments:

  1. I have most definitely made a spectacle of myself. Often. And probably will again (and that probably is a delusion). I will certainly make a fool of myself again. Love your rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! It is good to know I'm not alone, EC...and am in the company of someone willing to admit to it! l0l

      I set the easel up outside in the sunshine to take the photo of my rose painting...hence the "glow". My painting hangs on the wall here, just behind my computer monitor.

      Thanks for dropping in, EC. Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  2. The paintings are good to my eyes, nothing wrong with them at all.
    Yes we all or most of us have had embarrassing moments, most recent for me was when I fell on my face in Cape Tribulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, God, Margaret! At least you found a most beautiful area in which to fall! I know I shouldn't laugh. I hope you didn't hurt yourself...other than a little pride perhaps! :)

      The Daintree and Cape Tribulation are magnificent areas. I've not been there since the late 80s, though. I fell, too...fell in love with the area! :) If the population hasn't increased much since then...maybe no one saw your trip up at Cape Trib!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. Now to me Margaret I don't regard thing like that as embarrassing. They just happen but why should we be embarrassed by them?

      Delete
  3. Embarrassing moments? I could fill an encyclopedia!
    Nice pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all part of life, River....we have to have something about which to amuse ourselves...and others! :)

      Thanks for coming by and your comment. :)

      Delete
  4. and we are sometimes green with envy, I was just thinking I would love to have some roses planted here but with all the deer, still I miss the smell of a fragrant rose. Trying to think of the last time I was embarrassed. Nothing much fazes me nowadays, perhaps old age and not caring what others think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I'm with you, Linda...nothing much fazes me these days, nor am I too worried about embarrassing myself, which is probably a good thing...because I probably do it every day! And seeing I'm pretty much a recluse...the only person who I embarrass is myself in front of myself...and my two furry mates! And they couldn't give a damn! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely painting and graphite sketch! You're most talented!
    You're right about everyone having embarrassing moments and changing face colour.
    My recent such moment was when I realized I left home with my slippers, forgot to put on my better shoes for going out. Luckily, I was at the supermarket and people look at the shelves not down at other people's shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that, DUTA....at least you were comfortable. :)

      Thanks for coming by..and for your comment. :)

      Delete
  6. None since I stopped drinking:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Same here, Annie...but if done in that state, the once good thing was mostly they were not remembered! Hahahahahaha!

      Thanks for my Sunday morning laugh! :)

      Delete
  7. It ain't easy being human but it's lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Delores...most of the time! :)

      Thanks for coming by :)

      Delete
  8. I came out of the bathroom once with a long long strand of toilet paper - didn't see - a sales clerk told me - I was embarrassed all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha! Oh! Dear! Sorry, Sandie! But I just burst out in loud laughter! Oh, Dear! lol

      Have a great weekend...and be wary of out of control toilet paper! Thanks for the laugh and for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. When I was 4 and was in Sunday School in my little group. I suddenly realised that I was the only one in my group singing 'All things Bright and Beautiful' so I stopped singing. The teacher called me across when the hymn ended (in front of the whole Sunday School all of whom were of course older than my group) and asked me why I'd stopped singing. I said because I was the only one singing in my group and I thought people would be looking at me. She responded 'What makes you think you're that important that everyone is looking at you?' That was 69 years ago and it might as well have been yesterday. It was probably one of the cruellest things possible for a 4 year old. However I have never ever felt that anyone thought I was that important since that day and therefore I don't get embarrassed easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I love the face you sketched.

      Delete
    2. G'Day, Graham! What a heartless, thoughtless cruel thing for that "teacher" to say to a child...to anyone of any age...but especially to a little child. That was terrible! She certainly wasn't spreading the message she'd been hired to spread! What a you-know-what! (I'm doing my best to remain polite here and not call her what she deserved to be called)! ;)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
    3. Another PS....thanks for you comment re my sketch. :)

      Delete
  10. Embarrassing moments are part of life! I think we try to laugh them off the best we can!
    Love the colour of the rose and that is a very good sketch.

    Enjoy your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan...Yes, we all have them...as you say, they are part of life, and there is no escaping them! :)

      Thanks for coming by.. :)

      Delete
  11. Ha. Well said, Lee. Oh yes, been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, we will again, Sandra! lol

      Thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete
  12. Embarrassing moment?? Who, ME?Hahaaaa
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,there, Donna! I know what you mean! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete