Wednesday, July 18, 2018

MAMMA MIA! HERE I GO AGAIN! LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!




 (A bit of frivolous fun...for my enjoyment...I hope you enjoy it, too)


While I walked along Electric Avenue, via Penny Lane, Sunday Morning Was Coming Down. As I approached the Bridge Over Trouble Waters, at the Dark End of the Street, the sun had begun to peep around Blueberry Hill.  Its early morning rays sparkled on Moon River. 

It was then I got the shock of my life.

Someone wearing a Raspberry Beret called out, “Hey there, Georgy Girl! Hello!  Is It Me You’re Looking For?”  

Feeling a little Breathless, laughingly I replied, “I Ain’t Misbehavin’, but...If You Could Read My Mind....”

 “No! No! It’s okay if you were.  Me and Bobby McGee heard you were Leaving on a Jet Plane. We wanted wish you Bye Bye Baby!” 

Looking closer, I realised it was Bad Bad Leroy Brown. 

Following closely behind him were Mr. Bojangles, Daniel, Fernando, Sweet Baby James, the son of Tom Dooley, and, of all people, Louie Louie!  

I found myself suddenly surrounded by familiar, friendly faces.   

And then, I noticed Frankie and Johnny, joined by Rocket Man aka Bennie and the Jets, had approached from The Other Side.

They’d come out of Nowhere Man. 

With my mates unexpectedly arriving all at once I felt as if I was Defying Gravity, not before I’d turned a Whiter Shade of Pale, though.  The last time I’d seen them was On the Beach, Sitting On the Dock of the Bay, which Seems Like a Long Time ago. 

Come on, Eileen! Let’s Get the Party Started! I Wanna Dance with Somebody! It’s My Party! Let’s Get This Party Started!”  Mrs Robinson yelled out.    

Any earlier, she would’ve been Dancin’ in the Dark!   She’s always up for party...no excuse needed. Mrs Robinson would Party on the Moon, if that was possible!

I’d had Georgia on My Mind for the past few weeks, and to my surprise, there she was, as large as life, standing alongside Sweet Caroline, with the Bette Davis Eyes. Everybody’s Talkin’ about them.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, I guess.

 Do You Want to Know a Secret?” Sadie, the Cleaning Lady, leaned across and whispered to me.

I nodded in reply. 

Peggy Sue Got Married!”  

“Go on with you!  That’ll be the Day!”  I declared in disbelief.

“She and Cotton Eye Joe celebrated by doing the Macarena, and then they had Breakfast at Tiffany’s down along Copperhead Road!”

Oh! My Goodness!   I always thought Donna was his Dream Lover!  That’s the Way It Is, I guess!” I continued, shaking my head.

Hey, Jude!” I called out.  Hats Off to Larry! I Heard It Through the Grapevine after he was falsely accused of stealing Jessie’s Girl he told the rumourmongers to Beat It, in no uncertain terms.  

Instead of gossiping, people should Try a Little Tenderness for a change – Imagine!  I’d be Dancing in the Street, or Dancing on the Ceiling if that were to happen – or both!”

If You Go Away....how we Gonna Get Along Without You Now?” Wailed Jolene.

I was Born to Run the Hotel California, but after the Fire and Rain, followed by the Dust in the Wind it became A Pub With No Beer.  Rolling in the Deep I could do little Against the Wind After the Storm.  

As everything unfolded, it sure wasn’t a Bed of Roses. I was Livin’ On a Prayer. 

In the end, I had no choice but to Give It Up.  It was a Sign of the Times.

I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues, but, Hallelujah! I’m Still Standing With a Little Help From My Friends - That’s What Friends Are For.

How fortunate I was to have everyone present for The Last Farewell.

All of you are my Heroes”, I said, “But, Here Comes the Sun.  So I’d best be On the Road Again. It’s Hello Goodbye. This is One Moment in Time that will remain with me forever.

By the Time I Get To Phoenix I’ll be Walking on Sunshine along the Long and Winding Road surrounded by Strawberry Fields Forever.”

Like a Rolling Stone, once again I was on My Way, but I left with the Satisfaction of knowing I wasn’t Under Pressure; that the Changes about to happen in my Golden Years weren’t going to make me feel All Shook Up.  It’s Now or Never....there would be No Looking Back....

It’s time to Hit the Road, Jack...That's the Way It Is....

Mixed Berry Salad:  In a large bowl add 2c kale, broken up, 1c chopped strawberries, 1c blueberries, 1c blackberries , if available (if not, increase amount of other berries),1/4c sliced almonds and1/4c feta; toss.  Make dressing: Add 1/2c Greek yoghurt, 1/2c chopped strawberries, 1tbs milk, 3tbs sugar, and 4tsp cider vinegar to a food processor or blender; pulse until smooth. Whisk in 2tsp poppy seeds. Drizzle desired amount over salad; toss.

Berry Balsamic Grilled Cheese Sandwich: In a saucepan, on med-heat, mix 1c blueberries, 1c diced strawberries, 1-1/2ts coconut sugar/sugar, and 1tbs balsamic . Smash berries gently as you stir, letting it get to a boil. Remove berries from saucepan; place in strainer over a bowl. Use the leftover juice as a salad dressing. Take one slice of bread, of choice; spread 1 tsp butter on the side you will be frying or grilling. Place mozzarella shreds, berry mixture, spinach, more cheese, salt and/pepper on bread slice; cover with another slice; fry or grill on both sides until golden.

Blueberry Cake: Preheat oven 175C. Lightly butter an 8 or 9-inch spring-form pan; dust with flour. Or use an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, butter and dust with flour and line bottom with baking paper. Vigorously whisk together 1c plain flour with 1ts baking powder,1/2tsp salt, and 1/8th tsp cinnamon; set aside. Beat 1/2c unsalted butter for 2mins; add 3/4c sugar; beat until light and fluffy; stir in 1/4tsp vanilla. Add 2 large eggs, 1 at a time; beat until well blended. Stir in 1tsp lemon zest. Reduce speed to low; slowly add the flour, beating until smooth. Pour into prepared cake pan.  Toss 2c blueberries, rinsed and drained in flour and 1tsp lemon juice; spoon the berry mixture over the batter. Bake on middle rack, 50-55mins.  Remove from oven; cool in pan, 10mins. Remove from pan; dust with icing sugar to serve.

Blueberry Beet Juice: Blend together ½ large, peeled, raw beetroot, 4 med-carrots, 2 med-Granny Smith apples and 1/2c blueberries. 


28 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:28 PM

    I began reading with a grin and for some reason I cracked up at born to run Hotel California. Anyway I never can say goodbye, so just ciao baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I'm glad I made you laugh, Andrew! That's what it's all about...a bit of fun never hurts anyone...neither does a lot of fun! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I like what you did there. The one song I don't recognise is Party on the Moon. I'll have to visit you tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River. I got a bit carried away, didn't I? lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Lee, you're supposed to get thrill on Blueberry Hill - not a shock :-)

    My mind was racing as I started to sing along with each song mentioned- will have to come back and read through again to see if I missed any.

    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Cathy! It's a great song....now I'm singing it! lol

      Music is good for the soul.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. It takes talent and music knowledge to create a post based on song names. Well, you've got it.
    Your recipes this time are based on berries, the elixir of life. Blueberries and blackberries are the best. The berry grilled cheese sandwich sounds yummi - worth giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...music is the elixir of life. I'd hate to be without it...it's been part of my life since my early childhood.

      I love berries. I've five punnets of strawberries here at present that I'm eyeing off! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Arleen...I hope you enjoyed the fun. :)

      Delete
  6. you have so many songs there I don't think I can count them all, you must have a terrific memory; most of them I know too. Ha. I never would have thought to put blueberries in a sandwich; I'll have to get it a try next year during blueberry season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda....I had to stop myself from getting carried away, or my tale was going to end up as long as "Gone with the Wind"!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Lots of fun. Love those blueberries too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Delores...I had fun writing it. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Heeheehee! Very clever, and i’ll have to try those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A healthy bit of fun, messymimi...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Way to go, Lee! Big smile on this end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I succeeded in my endeavour, Sandra...to raise a few smiles. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. You know I love all these song titles! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing how much you like music, Kay...I figured you'd enjoy this. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Wow that berry salad looks YUMMY! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are berry welcome, Jenny. :)

      Delete
  12. Lovely post … I'm still smiling after reading it.
    Love your recipes, aren't berry salads yummy!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan..to cause smiles and enjoyment was my intention! :)

      Yes...berries, in every form, are delicious.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. "Don't think twice, it's alright"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, goatman...what a nice surprise it is to see you! 'Till w meet again...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Thank for your very good article! i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love how you wove those song titles into a story, Lee.

    ReplyDelete