Tuesday, December 18, 2018

KERB YOUR ENTHUSIASM...OR DON’T....


Gympie's Memorial Park
Jacaranda Time on Tamborine Mountain
Eagle Heights Mountain Resort-Hotel
Open Air-Undercover Beer Garden, Eagle Heights Mountain Resort
Indoor and Outdoor Dining
Dressed Up for a Wedding at the Eagle Heights Mountain Resort

Bar Area - Eagle Heights Mountain Resort


You may have noticed over the years I find it difficult to kerb my enthusiasm for repeating myself.

At this time of each year I’m enthused and enraptured by the glorious, blooming jacarandas. The breathtaking brilliance of jacaranda season takes me back to my childhood and teenage years spent in Gympie where the stunning jacaranda trees grew and bloomed prolifically.  During jacaranda season the town became a picturesque sea of purple; a glorious sight to see.  

Up here on the plateau aka mountain top the jacaranda trees have graced us again with their wonderful displays of lilac blossoms.  Soon, the curtain will close, and then, we will have to wait patiently until late 2019 to once more be enhanced by the wonder of their beauty.

Apparently, the Brisbane City Council doesn’t like jacarandas, calling the tree a “weed” because the tree isn’t native to Australia.  The BCC would disagree with my enthusiasm. Those reckless cowboys want to rip jacaranda trees out by their roots, and have done so in some areas.

Similar to most of us, my roots came from elsewhere.  

My maternal ancestors immigrated to Australia from the Scottish Highlands and Ireland in the mid-1800s. Later on, in the early 1900s, my paternal grandparents wandered in from Northern Ireland, settling in Rockhampton, Central Queensland, otherwise now known as the “Capricorn Coast” because Rocky, the “Beef Capital of Australia” sits upon...albeit gently...the Tropic of Capricorn.

Therefore, with the above being the facts, like the jacaranda tree, I must be a weed. 

Shhh! Don’t tell the Brisbane City Council!

On the subject of kerbing one’s enthusiasm, the recent over-the-top brouhaha about which side of the bread Bunnings Hardware Stores should place their fried onions during their Saturday sausages sizzles...under or over said sausage... reminds me of an incident which occurred one Sunday shortly after I arrived here on the hill. 

At the time, I was one of the happy cooks/chefs at the expansive Eagle Heights Mountain Resort (there were three of us), with its spectacular views - not that I got many opportunities to appreciate the magnificent vista when working. 
  
Sundays, in particular, were always very busy with visitors from far, wide and below, all wanting to enjoy not just the views, but the delicious fare on offer. 

As was our habit (necessity), my co-workers and I had done our prep – and lots of it.

We, along with the stoves and fryers were fired up and ready to go, taking no prisoners along the way.  

The doors opened, and in flooded an enthusiastic crowd of hungry diners, far more than we had expected...and let me tell you...we had expected, and prepared for, a crowd! 

On that particular Sunday everyone within coo-ee and beyond descended upon the Eagle Heights Mountain Resort Hotel for lunch.  Everything we’d prepped rapidly disappeared; and we had prepared a tonne.  Frantically, when possible, we chopped up more ingredients...multi-tasking at its best!  No fingers were lost in the process...

The menu on offer was vast and varied.  The broad choice also included burgers and steak sandwiches, each individually plated and served with chips/fries and extra salad on the side.

Out of the madding crowd he emerged to place his order...a fellow in his late 20s/early 30s.  His excitement about his order of a hamburger and fries was palpable. His order might’ve been a steak sandwich, not a burger – that’s by the by - but, pertinently, at the very moment of his salivating, drooling appearance, we’d just run out of sliced onions!   Oh! Dear!

From the look on his face when, politely, I informed him of the unavoidable, dire situation I thought I’d inadvertently announced the world was due to end within a few minutes, and his time was up. 

The desperate diner’s face distorted like that of a two year old about to break into tears and throw a tantrum.  The fellow was unable to kerb his distress – his emotions were raw and visible for all to see. 

Sure...he probably sheds tears when peeling and chopping onions, but to cry because he couldn’t have fried onions on his burger or steak sandwich was a bit over the top; a little underwhelming.

I had to kerb my enthusiasm in wanting to slap him across his face while telling him to wake up to himself!

You’ll be proud of me...I succeeded in kerbing my enthusiasm....just!

(For my US readers....We Aussies spell kerb - "kerb"...not "curb" as you do.  The meanings are the same).

Cheesy Onion Potato Gratin: Whisk 1tbs finely chopped parsley, 1/2c breadcrumbs and 1tsp minced garlic; season; set aside. Put 700g baby chats in pot of salted water; cook until tender; drain. Peel 700g pickling onions.  Place 240gx2cm bacon pieces in a pan; cover with 1cm water. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until water evaporates and bacon begins to crisp and brown. Add potatoes, onions, 2tbs cream, and 1tbs chopped parsley; toss to combine; season. Put in rectangular casserole dish; cover with grated gruyere; place in 205C oven; bake 10-15mins.  Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top; return to oven until browned.

Onion-Spinach Bread: Preheat oven, 176C.  Heat 2tsp olive oil in pan over med-heat; add 1 thinly sliced large brown onion; season. Cook 10mins, reduce heat to med-low; cook until onions are golden. Add 1tsp olive oil to onions; stir in 2 minced garlic cloves and 2 packed cups fresh spinach leaves. Stir until spinach wilts, about 1min. Remove from heat. In bowl, whisk 2-1/2c plain flour, 2tsp baking powder and 1/2tsp salt. In a bowl, combine 2 lightly beaten eggs, 3/4c milk, and 2/3rd cup x-virgin olive oil. Whisk well until combined. Pour flour mixture into eggs; stir until just combined. Don’t over-mix or bread will become tough. Add spinach mixture and 30g crumbled fetta; stir until just combined. Grease loaf pan. Spoon 1tbs flour into pan; tap flour around pan. Shake out excess. Scoop batter into pan; smooth top. Bake until top is light golden and inserted wooden skewer comes out dry, 35-40 mins. Cool 15mins, then remove from pan; cool on wire rack.

Onion Rings: Slice 2 large onions into rings.  Place separated rings in bowl; cover with 1c buttermilk. Cover; chill 1hr or up to 24hrs. Combine 2c plain flour, 1tbs salt, 2tsp smoked paprika, 1tsp garlic pow3der and 1/2tsp cayenne; drain onions; toss in flour to coat. Shake off excess flour; in batches cook in hot oil.

24 comments:

  1. Now i want to plant a jacaranda tree in my yard -- i would dearly love those blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are glorious, messymimi...I adore them. They never fail to take my breath away. Fortunately, there are quite a few trees bordering the road I drive along that takes me to my local supermarket. It makes the trip...albeit only a couple of kilometres....so worthwhile. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this sentence, “I had to keep my enthusiasm in wanting to slap him across his face while telling him to wake up to himself!” If just onions would upset him that much, you would have to wonder how he coped with really important things.

    Happy Holidays, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Arleen...the precious little soul. He was in for a rude awakening re what life had/has to offer! Unbelievable!

      Thanks for coming by...and I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year. :)

      Delete
  3. Jacarandas are a thing of joy and beauty aren't they? To be celebrated by lovers of beauty.
    Sigh at that precious person. If the worst life has thrown at him is an onion drought he really doesn't have a lot to complain about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are a thing of joy and beauty, EC. They hold me in awe each and every time I see them.

      The look on the face of that fellow re the onion "catastrophe" has remained embedded in my mind! What a twit! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I object, 100% to any plants being ripped out just because they aren't native to Australia. What the heck difference does it make? Do other countries have ONLY those plants which are native to them? Of course not. People plant what looks beautiful, no matter where they live or where the plants originated. Leave them be and let us all enjoy the beauty of Jacarandas and other flowering trees. I suspect the BCC has more issue with the dropped flowers than the tree itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...No...the Brisbane City Council have issue with the trees. They tend to ignore trees that are far more dangerous...such as our indigenous gum trees...otherwise known as "Widow-makers"!! Of them, the Widow-makers there are many here on the mountain...bordering the road I travel...and during high winds its is massive concern that a heavy branch or more will fall upon the road, the car, etc.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. P.S. kerb and curb are not the same. Kerb is the edging along a roadside, curb is a verb, as in "to curb one's enthusiasm".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a PS from me, River...Re "Kerb" (mostly British) and "Curb" (kûrb)

      n. Curb
      1. A concrete border or row of joined stones forming part of a gutter along the edge of a street.

      curb – kerb
      1. 'curb'

      Curb can be a noun or a verb.

      If you curb something, you control it and keep it within definite limits.
      ...proposals to curb the powers of the Home Secretary.
      You must curb your extravagant tastes.

      You can say that someone imposes a curb on something.
      This requires a curb on public spending.
      Another year of wage curbs is inevitable.
      2. 'kerb'

      Curb is also the American spelling of the noun kerb. There is no difference in pronunciation. The kerb is the raised edge between a pavement and a road.
      2. An enclosing framework, such as that around a skylight.
      3. A raised margin along an edge used to confine or strengthen.
      4. Something that checks or restrains: High interest rates put a curb on spending.
      5. A chain or strap that passes under a horse's lower jaw and serves in conjunction with the bit to restrain the horse.
      6. A market, originally on a street or sidewalk, for trading securities that are not listed on a stock exchange.
      tr.v. curbed, curb·ing, curbs


      Kerb (kûrb)
      n. Chiefly British
      Variant of curb.
      American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
      kerb (kɜːb) or curb
      n
      (Civil Engineering) a line of stone or concrete forming an edge between a pavement and a roadway, so that the pavement is some 15 cm above the level of the road
      vb
      (tr) to provide with or enclose with a kerb

      Delete
  6. It seems I was wrong; my dictionary has this: Curb: to control, to check, to restrain with a curb, as a horse; to strengthen by a curb-stone - then it has: Curb-stone: the outer edge of a foot pavement, a kerb stone.
    I grew up thinking kerb and curb were two different meanings, now it seems I was taught wrongly all those years ago in school. My dictionary has Kerb-stone: same as Curb-stone. I don't like being wrong but since that was how I was taught, I'll lay the blame on my primary school teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, pulling the trees out when such a beautiful show of colour. If the trees were a hindrance of were known for splitting in two as some of our native trees do well that's different.

    The word 'curb' meaning for me is: a check or restraint on something.
    The word 'kerb' meaning for me is: a stone edging to a pavement or raised path
    That what I was taught in school :) just my tuppence worth...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...It would appear you and River had teachers of similar teachings! Both taught you incorrectly re the words "curb" and "kerb". Meanings are similar...countries of origin different.

      Yes..our native gums are a danger to life and limb, not the harmless, beautiful jacaranda.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. The jacarandas are indeed a glorious sight!
    Onion rings,group people into two opposing camps: the ones who cannot do without them and the ones who utterly dislike them.I've had the occasion to see that, so I'm not surprised by that fellow's look when he was told no onions for his burger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...I like fried onions, and they're often one of the accompanimenta when I grill a steak for myself, but I wouldn't thrown a tantrum or shed tears over not being able to have them. I don't even shed tears when cutting them! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. The purple blooms on that tree, I would be in HEAVEN to see that every year! You must have had some fabulous weddings at that resort, it looks so lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay...yes, the jacaranda blooms are stunning.

      Sometimes, often, we'd cater for a couple of weddings a weekend....fabulous spot...magnificent views as well.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Anonymous5:32 PM

    Pretoria in South Africa is known as jacaranda city but the local authority has said, no more. While they are not native to here or South Africa, I don't think they are particularly invasive and if contained to settled areas, why not have them. BCC should be more concerned about far more invasive weeds than jacarandas. Re the onion man, so a culture of entitlement existed among young people a couple of decades ago. The onion underneath came from the US but yes, it has been taken up by Bunnings sausage sizzlers. Guess what! I had a sausage at Bunnings a couple of weeks ago and for the first time I dropped onion on the ground because it wasn't where it should have been, on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:42 PM

      PS, I too stumbled as I read kerb. What I wasn't taught or ever looked up nevertheless has me typing, 'Please curb your enthusiasm for running my tyres into the kerb'. I am sure we all agree on tyres, at least.

      Delete
    2. Hi Andrew...the onion incident at the Eagle Heights Resort Hotel was in 2002....

      There are for more invasive humans weeds that need eradicating more than jacarandas and the like!

      I have no idea why anyone here in the Land of Oz is stumbling over "kerb"...unless they're not looking where they're walking! :)

      Obviously, in the years I went to primary and secondary schools, we were taught English differently to the generations who followed my generation.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my, those purple blooms of the Jacarandas are glorious.
    We have lilac trees with a similar colour flower …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....they are glorious, Jan...I adore them. They are just the best! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.
    online gambling

    ReplyDelete