Monday, June 03, 2019

BEAUTY SURROUNDS – LOVE IS IN THE AIR – AND IN THE HEART...

Newry Island Group of Islands
Foreshore...Newry Island

Newry Island Days...and Nights...
Annette Kellerman









There are times, when least expected, Mother Nature’s beauty takes one by surprise...to the extent of being overwhelming...breathtaking.   This can often occur when least expected. 

As mentioned many times previously, in the early 1990s I managed a small, humble resort on Newry Island, an island north of Seaforth, a tiny coastal, fishing village situated 41kms north of Mackay.  Newry Island still exists, but not the resort. The buildings were demolished around 2001.  The island is now part of a group of eight islands protected in the Newry Islands National Park. 

In the 1930s, Annette Kellerman, the Australian professional swimmer, vaudeville star, actress and writer periodically visited the island when she returned to Australia from the US, where she had settled years earlier.  During the 1930s, her brother and his wife lived on the island.  It has been said Annette Kellerman used to train, swimming back and forth along the channel between Newry and Outer Newry Islands.  Unsubstantiated reports also state she had swum from Newry Island to Seaforth...and back.  I can’t vouch the latter is true.  

In 1905, aged 19 years, Kellerman was one of the first women to attempt to swim the English Channel.

Further information on the life and deeds of Annette Kellerman can be found on the sites below:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annette_Kellermann

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/collection/curated/annette-kellerman

A snippet of information - “On 24 August 1905, aged 19, Kellermann was one of the first women to attempt to swim the English Channel. After three unsuccessful swims she declared, "I had the endurance but not the brute strength." The first woman to attempt a Channel crossing had been Austrian Baroness Walburga von Isacescu, in September 1900. Kellermann later challenged and defeated Isacescu in a Danube race.”

“In 1916, Kellermann became the first major actress to appear in a nude scene when she appeared fully nude in A Daughter of the Gods. Made by Fox Film Corporation, A Daughter of the Gods was the first million-dollar film production. Like many of Kellermann's other films, this is now considered a lost film, as no copies are known to exist.”


Returning to my time on Newry Island...an island tale....

One glorious early autumn day, for a few short hours...each 60 minutes in length if you’re wondering...a day-tripper, a lady aged in her early 70s, visited my island home. 

Enveloped by a balmy, sunny, unblemished morning, at length, she and I quietly conversed while sipping on coffee.  

“Quietly” - because as we sat at a table outside on the concrete patio area situated a few metres from the foreshore, the ambience in which we were immersed encouraged tranquillity and calm repose.  

The combination of a faultless, clear, blue sky, a sedate ocean, Outer Newry Island across the way, and Mausoleum Island in the distance, was our natural wide-screen OLED Monitor. 

Encompassing the vista, with a sweeping wave of her arm, my guest commented: “We must never take this for granted – Nature’s beauty.  Too often it doesn’t register with us. We look at it through unseeing eyes.” 

Truer words have seldom been uttered.

Driving back from Beaudesert a few weeks ago I decided to take a different route in lieu of the one I’d travelled on the way down from the mountain...via North Tamborine here on the plateau, passing through Tamborine Village on lower grounds.

Beaudesert is a rural town situated in the Scenic Rim region. The township is 35kms south-west of Tamborine Mountain (which is also part of the Scenic Rim)...down in the valley.  Beaudesert boasts a population of approximately 9000.

On my return trip, upon reaching the Canungra turnoff, I turned right instead of going ahead. I was totally unprepared for what was in store.   

It's something I don't do regularly, but when I do drive to Beaudesert, via North Tamborine I enjoy the countryside – tackling the winding mountain road, which leads onto wide, open spaces; the sensation of latitude. 

The other day when as I drove towards the small town of Canungra (a population of approximately 1,500) I wasn’t expecting the feeling that overcame me, nor was I prepared.

Suddenly, I felt breathless. Spontaneous tears flooded my eyes.  My raw emotions weren’t caused by distress, fear or sadness. 

I wanted to burst into song like Julie Andrews...the hills, and the valleys were alive!
  
To be honest...I've nothing to feel ashamed of, or embarrassed about...I did burst out in song...in voice...probably not as melodic as Andrews...but the depth of sincerity of feeling was fathomless. Many words of wonder floated through the free, fresh country air.

Languidly, large, self-propelled irrigation systems watered pastures - pastures that appeared to be smiling in gratitude. My imagination at times does go wild, I know.

Without warning, I was overwhelmed by the inspirational beauty surrounding me. 

Engulfed by its almost tangible presence it was an intense, wondrous sensation.

Animals frolicking freely without a care in paddocks heightened my uplifted spirits.   

Carefree horses gambolled (not laying bets on champion racehorse, Winx); cattle nonchalantly grazed, or just stood around enjoying their surrounds, ignoring the silly old woman cruising by whose emotions were out of control; emotions to which I willing succumbed, even though, like Jesse James, they had ambushed me. 

The cows, bulls and the horses didn’t care if I was a blubbering, joyful mess; neither did I. 

The intensity of my zealous ardour experienced during my journey is difficult to describe.

Are there enough descriptive words?

Those special moments...my feelings of awe...I’ll not forget; nor do I want to fail to remember those magic moments.

Beauty is at our doorstep - everywhere we look.  

Let’s open our eyes - our hearts - and look...let’s not take it for granted...

Pumpkin Pancakes: In bowl, combine 3c milk, 1c pumpkin puree, 1egg, 2tbs veg oil and 2tbs vinegar. In separate bowl, combine 2c plain flour, 3tbs brown sugar, 2tsp baking powder, 1tsp baking soda, 1tsp allspice, 1tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp ginger and 1/2tsp salt. Add dry mix to pumpkin mixture; stir just enough to combine. Heat lightly oiled fry pan over med-high heat. Scoop batter onto pan; approx ¼c for each pancake. Brown on both sides; serve hot with Maple syrup.

Chicken in Milk: Allow 1.5kg boneless, skinless chick thighs to rest at room temp at least 20mins before cooking. Pat dry with paper towels; season well salt, black pepper and paprika. Heat 3tbs olive oil in pan. Add 8 garlic cloves; cook until golden on both sides; transfer to bowl; set aside. Pan sear chicken on each side until a little golden. Transfer to a bowl; keep warm; don’t overcrowd pan. Add a little butter and 250g sliced button mushrooms and 3 sliced leeks to pan chicken was cooked in; cook 10mins; add 2-1/2c milk to pan. Bring milk to gentle simmer. Add 20 sage leaves, garlic, 3/4c grated parmesan and chicken back to pan with the milk sauce. Bring to gentle simmer; cover. Cook 30mins. Remove lid; continue simmering on low heat 15 mins, until chicken is tender, and sauce has reduced to your liking. Adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with parsley, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and a drizzle of x-virgin olive oil.

Coffee-Glazed Choc Twists: Preheat oven 204C; grease, or paper-line baking tray.  Place 2 puff pastry sheets on lightly floured surface. Roll each to about ¼ inch thick. Beat 1egg with a bit of water, brush over surface of each sheet; sprinkle 125g finely chopped dark chocolate evenly over each. Top each a sheet puff pastry; cut each into thirds; twist each and place about 2-inches apart on baking tray; press down ends. Brush twists with egg wash; bake 12-18mins, until puffed. Serve drizzled with coffee glaze – Stir 2tbs brewed coffee with 1c icing sugar, or more until it coats back of spoon.

32 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:59 PM

    The connection between Kellermann and the island is interesting. Yes, not that you would know it from newspapers but there is much beauty in the world. Pumpkin pancakes! Have you been reading Flo's recipe book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...it is an interesting connection, Andrew...and the cabin in which Annette Kellerman used to stay in was there on the island...as part of the little resort...when I lived there.

      The fellow who held the lease on the resort area at that time collected memorabilia on Kellerman. Her story is incredibly interesting.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Open eyes, hearts and minds pay dividends don't they? Completely precious dividends (and much more valuable than those issued by any company).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, EC...so very true...the wonders of Nature never cease to amaze...sometimes we just cease to see them...too blind to appreciate them. I loved the feelings I experienced that day...and I hope similar happen again and again, and again.

      Thanks for coming by. Take care. :)

      Delete
  3. When I saw Annette Kellerman's photo I wondered who the heck she was. Interesting story - and if I had not read your post - I never would have learned about her. A pioneer of sorts. lol Your food looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie...It amazes me that Annette Kellerman is an unknown name/person to you....have a read of the sites I put up re her achievements...and my comment below in response to Margaret's response. :)

      Kellerman certainly was a pioneer...in many various ways.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Had never heard of Annette, a determine women.
    You meant to take that wrong turn, you wanted to see the beauty of our country, and you was overcome by your emotions at its wonder. Good on you as many people just don't see or get it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Margaret....I find it strange you...and others...do not know the very interesting story of Annette Kellerman. Esther Williams' movie..."Million Dollar Mermaid" was based her her achievements...

      Quote - "Million Dollar Mermaid (also known as The One Piece Bathing Suit in the UK) is a 1952 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer biographical musical film of the life of Australian swimming star Annette Kellerman. It was directed by Mervyn LeRoy and produced by Arthur Hornblow Jr. from a screenplay by Everett Freeman. The music score was by Adolph Deutsch, the cinematography by George Folsey and the choreography by Busby Berkeley.

      George Folsey received a 1953 Oscar nomination for Best Cinematography, Color.

      The film stars Esther Williams, Victor Mature, and Walter Pidgeon, with David Brian and Donna Corcoran."

      I remember clearly the times I saw that movie when I was a little kid. Kellerman was quite a lady. She spent her later years living on the Gold Coast. She led an extremely fascinating, interesting life.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. PS...I didn't take a wrong turn that day, Margaret...I just decided to take a different route...purposely. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the information about the film - had no idea :) Know of Ester Williams and a few of the cast, can recall them but that's about it.
      Ok about the 'route', still you meant to go that way. :)

      Delete
  5. Sometimes, we get overwhelmed by Nature's beauty, and it's OK to give way to our excitement when facing its splendor.
    Chicken in milk? Oh, my - in my religion we are not to mix meat and dairy. It sounds, delicious, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DUTA....I had no say in the matter the other day...I was helpless. My emotions had the upper hand! :)

      I never knew that about your religion...about not mixing milk with meat. Proof, one is never too old to learn something new. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. The photographs on your post are gorgeous.
    It is so true beauty is at our doorstep, it is everywhere we look... but we must look and make time to look, so many of us don't and that is a great shame.

    I like the sound of the chicken recipe, many thanks for sharing it here.

    Enjoy your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jan....yes...we must take the time to look...to recognise and appreciate what surrounds us. It surely is worth the time. :)

      Thanks for coming by. You, too, have a great week. :)

      Delete
  7. I know that feeling. I haven't sang, no one needs to hear that! but I have sat on the coastal boardwalk and cried at the beauty of ocean and cliffs around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving alone in my car there is no one to hear me but me, River. And, if I complain about the squawking, I take no notice! :)

      The feelings are awesome...and quite wonderful, to be honest, aren't they?

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Keeping our eyes wide to the beauty around us is important. Your recipes always look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi...it is...and so easily at times we forget.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. I have read your story twice in case i missed anything, I loved every part particularly giving in to your emotions; hardly the grumpy er young lady you profess to be.
      I shall be popping up to Brisbane July 5 For my Grandsons wedding then back here on the Monday.

      Delete
    3. Oh! Vest...how wonderful it is to hear from you. I've been wondering how you were getting on and was hoping all was well...thanks so much for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. My dear Lee if you wrote a book about all your experiences, I would buy it for sure. Your way with words slay me in a kind sense. Yes I too have had moments that you desribe but never a tear filled my eyes but the breathless sensation hits me hard when I see beauty in nature. We now have a Caregiver for Mimi and just maybe I can visit more often and even post. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very good it is to hear from you, Miss Kitty. It's always nice to see you. Your words are very kind.

    Thanks for coming by...take good care. With Mimi's caregiver some of life's load has been removed from your shoulders...I hope all is well with her...with all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Let’s open our eyes - our hearts - and look...let’s not take it for granted..." We are singing from the same hymn sheet Lee. This is why I go walking in the English countryside. I hope that this sometimes comes across in the photographs I post. By the way, if you were blubbering with joy, it might have been a good idea to stop the car in order to compose yourself. Seeing the road through tears could be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern...your tongue-in-cheek advice, Yorkie.

      However, my 'blubbering' didn't hinder my eyesight, nor did it hinder my driving. Strangely, I consider my welfare and safety high priorities...so I tend to be an aware driver - aware of my own safety, and that of other drivers....and the grazing cattle.

      Yes, your love of your surroundings is depicted in your lovely photos taken when out and about walking.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Well, all I 'gotta say is...thank God for long hair...Hahaa...Kellerman's photo. Daring for back in the day!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Donna...Annette Kellerman was very daring for her era. She was the first to appear naked on the screen.

    The article below is an interesting one, too.

    https://www.boston.com/news/history/2015/07/02/this-womans-one-piece-bathing-suit-got-her-arrested-in-1907


    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is wonderful to have those moments of exhilaration and you 're lucky to live somewhere so beautiful as to inspire them. Take it and appreciate it. Annette Kellerman sounds like a very interesting lady, a real individualist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jenny...What you say is true...and you are one who appears to never take what is around you for granted...and we, your readers, are the beneficiaries. :)

      Kellerman certainly was an interesting woman...way before her time.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. The pictures are just breathtaking...including the food. Heh.
    Kellerman was an amazing woman wasn't she?
    YOU have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was, Sandra....quite incredible...and more particular, for that era. She sure did make her mark.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  16. Your photos are lovely. It sure looks like paradise.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Dora...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete