Tuesday, February 18, 2020

A PET PROJECT...I OBJECT TO BEING OBJECTIVISED!


So! What of it?

The smile says it all....
Two of my pencil drawings


I should be used to being wrong, I suppose, but, foolishly, I hang onto the hope perhaps once I’ll have a win. 

I’m not referring to winning the Lotto.  Don’t misunderstand me, though...I wouldn’t look that particular gift horse in the mouth.  In gratitude, I’d buy the old nag an electric tooth brush.  By “old nag” I’m not referring to me!  

Too often I believe I’ve heard it all...but, once again, I’ve been proven wrong.
Instead of reading newspapers, and watching TV news bulletins, I’d be far better off sticking to reading comics such as “Tom and Jerry”, “Tweety Pie”, “Donald Duck”, and “Foghorn Leghorn”, among others of the animal variety....when I’m not bingeing on “The Garfield Show”, “The Cat in the Hat”, “The Adventures of Puss in Boots”, “The Littlest Pet Shop”, “Peter Rabbit”, “Shaun the Sheep”, “Paw Patrol” , and “Dogs on the Job”  via streaming services, that is.  

PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) have...in their “superior knowledge” (please notice a tone of sarcasm)... announced we humans are no longer allowed to call our pet a “pet”. 

The decree was made a few weeks ago by PETA’s president, Ingrid Newkirk. She (or should it be “they”?) stated “pet” is a derogatory word, and should not be used.

Oh! Rats!

In Newkirk’s opinion, referring to an animal as a “pet” held the same discrimination as calling women “sweetie” or “honey”! 

Don’t many females aka women and girls call their loved ones aka boyfriends, husbands, or girlfriends - whichever the case may be - “sweetie” or “honey”, and vice versa?  When I was married my husband, Randall and I used the affectionate terms towards each other. We didn’t consider the usage belittling in any way.

A mate of Ingrid’s – perhaps her lap dog - joined in by declaring “pet” should be replaced with more inclusive terms such as “companion” and “home carer”. 

Give me a break!  Do these people attend university courses to gain degrees in stupidity?

For many, stupidity comes naturally. Therefore, no courses are required - no money needs to be expended.

Not meaning to sound petty but, to me, it’s a load of bovine excreta!

Caprines aka goats will be joining cows and jumping over the moon when they discover kids have become exclusively their own. Humans will be banned from calling kids “kids”. I’m not kidding!  

D’oh! We won’t be allowed to buck the system.  It’s a barrow-load of nonsense “they” are trying to ram down our throats as “they” endeavour to steer others to “their” way of thinking. 

I, for one, won’t be following the herd. 

This old grey mare – I can no longer be classed as a “filly” - bolted before the gate was bolted shut!  These days I may be hobbled, which is a bit of a bore, but I’m not a member of a mob, nor am I part of a flock. This bird has flown!

It’s a cock and bull idea.  The PETA cohorts, in their misguided way of thinking, are telling us to cease referring to our pet/s as “pet/pets”. 

Well, dam!** I’m going the whole hog by declaring I will not bow to their idiocy.
I wear a coat of many feathers. I’m a chick, albeit an elderly chick. I’m an old hen...often a goose. I’m an old duck with two dearly loved pets. Treated like royalty, my furry mates rule me accordingly.

All my life, from when I was a very young child,  I’ve had pets...cats, dogs, guinea pigs, canaries, budgies (not smugglers), fish, and briefly, a couple of tortoises before they leisurely strolled back to the waterhole from whence they came.

Our pet bantam rooster named “Joseph” cockily strutted about, believing he was leader of the pack; cock of the menagerie.

Do tadpoles count?  I don’t mean can they count! They don’t have fingers, or toes!

 **A horse’s mum...

Honey Duck Breasts: Pat dry skin of 2 duck breasts; score skin; season. In pan over med-heat, place duck skin side down in pan, 5mins, or until skin is golden; turn duck over; cook 2mins. Remove from pan; place on lined baking tray; roast duck in 190C oven, 8-10mins. Remove from oven; rest 5mins before slicing duck into thin pieces. In same duck pan, add 2tbs honey and 1tbs butter; cook until melted; add juice of 1 lemon and pinch of salt; remove from heat. In griddle pan, grill 4 quartered peaches and 1 onion, cut into rings, until they get bar marks and soften slightly. To serve; lay green salad leaves on platter; top with peaches, onions and duck; drizzle over the honey-butter dressing; top with fresh tarragon leaves and 1/4c diced roasted almonds.

Honey- Garlic Pork Tenderloin: Remove any fat from 450g pork tenderloin.  With a fork, puncture pork in several places. In bowl, combine 1tbs each, garlic salt, garlic pepper, onion powder, fresh minced thyme and fresh minced rosemary, and 1tsp chilli; then spread this on all sides of pork, pressing in firmly. Heat heavy skillet over med-high heat; melt 2tbs butter; add pork; sear just until brown; flip to sear all sides, about 2mins. Place skillet in 200C oven; roast 20mins.  In small saucepan add 1/2c honey, 1/3c brown sugar, 1tbs minced garlic, 1/2c light soy sauce, and 1/3c orange juice; whisk; bring to slight boil. Combine 1tbs cornflour and 2tbs water; add to sauce; whisk until slightly thickened; set aside. Remove pork from oven; baste with honey-garlic sauce. Place pork under hot grill for 3mins to allow sauce to caramelise. Rest 5mins, covered; slice; top with fresh chopped thyme and rosemary to serve.



30 comments:

  1. I wholehearted support PETA's motto: "Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way."
    Some of their viewpoints are extreme, but their hearts are certainly in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are aware, EC, just how much I love my pets...and how much I love animals, domestic, livestock and native/wild.

      I agree PETA does very good work in many areas...areas that have need attention brought to them...but this latest nonsense is, in my opinion...exactly that...complete nonsense.

      It's silly.

      Remy and Shama will remain being my pets as long as they are alive...and as long as I am alive...and as long as I am alive I shall refer to them as my pets.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. No arguments from me. However the tendency to dismiss PETA completely as many do (which I was not suggesting you were doing) because in some areas they go too far is throwing the baby out with the bathwater in my opinion. I don't agree with everything they say or do, but do support the thrust of their work.

      Delete
  2. I do think PETA has put our attention to focus on animal care and welfare, but they also have been vandals ( destroying an entire crop of grown lobsters in a refrigerator truck) so they have their issues! I will call the people and pets whatever I damn well please, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...They have, and it is excellent that they have re animal welfare and care.

      However, like you I shall call my pets, pets...I pet them, and they pet me. And if I choose to call someone "Sweetie", "Honey", "Mate", "Dear"...or any other name, choose to do so...and continue to do so...I shall.

      I don't need some pseudo intellectual telling me what to do or say.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:10 PM

    No doubt PETA does some good things, but then undermines itself with such nonsense and giving people bullets to fire at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Andrew...but this latest drivel is absolutely ridiculous. Often I wonder what goes on in the mind of some!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Your drawings are really lovely.
    PETA can go and jump as far as I'm concerned Lee. Some good in some of them, the rest - puffff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks re my drawings, Margaret.

      It seems these days I am forever shaking my head...it will fall off one of these days. But, I guess...when it does I won't be allowed to call it a "head"!!

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear Lord, what next?? what is wrong with these people? Are there schools of people learning nothing else but how to change everything we've ever known because somehow, now, it is wrong. PC has gone way, way, way too far overboard and now we get rubbish like this? I don't like the terms honey, sweetie, pet etc, but that's a personal thing and if people want to call their honeys sweetie, I don't care, but what's wrong with calling a pet, a pet? Yes, they are often companions too and there are care animals, but not all pets are care animals. Lola is my pet, my cat, she isn't people friendly enough to be classed as a companion, she doesn't comfort me when I'm feeling blue, she doesn't help with solving problems the way a human friend (companion) might, so she is a pet, a tamed housebroken animal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River...It's crazy, isn't it? I couldn't believe my eyes when I was reading the article in the paper. The columnist who wrote it was of the same opinion as us re the stupidity.

      I kept the page from the newspaper...I haven't the heart to throw it away!! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. PETA does some good things BUT are they crazy? PET?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sandie...those who come up with these ideas? Yes...they are crazy!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I completely agree with your point of view.
    Your love for your pets is clearly seen in the above two drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'Day, DUTA...Just when you think you've heard it all...there is always something else...always another idiotic, senseless suggestion. Some humans are getting sillier by the day, it seems.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, not sorry. Pets are pets, and people are people. They want to give animals rights, and i will say they need to be treated with humane concern (the pets), but not given the status of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi...Yep! Why some people have to complicate things...over-think things...I have no idea. Have they nothing better to do? What are they trying to prove? Who are they trying to impress?

      I'm certainly not impressed by their stupidity!

      This kind of nonsense..insane way of thinking...is insanity...and a waste of precious time that could be put to far better use!

      Thanks for coming by...my two pets, Remy and Shama...miaow thanks to you, too! ( :)

      Delete
    2. Love the cartoon:) As always, enjoyed your wit. What is the new term that is to replace pet?

      Delete
    3. Hey Sandra....Yes! I love that cartoon, too! lol

      The "bright sparks" (used very, very loosely)...suggest "companion" and/or :home carer" in lieu of "pet/pets"!!!!

      In my opinion that ridiculous idea should be tossed in the loo!!

      I've just changed the sheets on "our" bed...the bed my two "home carers" allow me to share with them. I think it is time, if they are "home carers", they make "our" bed for a change!!!! They've watched me do it enough times to know how to do Change the sheets!!!

      Am I just a "companion"...Do I not matter? Do my feelings not matter?????

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Even by your usual standards of use of words for double meanings and so on this post was a masterpiece. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the 'demeaning' use of 'pet' I am beyond words.

    I really do admire your pencil drawings.

    I enjoyed the cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham. That cartoon gives me a giggle every time I see it! I couldn't resist posting it! :)

      Gee! When my brother and I were kids, Mum and Nana often called us "pet". Oops! I said "kids"!

      I'm glad you enjoyed my post...I just had to make fun out of such stupidity! I wait with un-baited breath for the next brainwave to explode from one of these "educated academics"! And, I bet London to a brick there will be one...or more! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your drawings are just wonderful. You have a talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most generous with your comment, Sandra. Thanks for coming by....I hope you had a nice weekend. :)

      Delete
  13. Remember PETA at one time wanted us to change adages with meat connotations to something else, e.g. don't say "bringing home the bacon" but instead say "bringing home the bagels." One of my pet peeves are folks who try to subvert the language to make political statements. Oh, oh. Is the use of 'pet' in that sentence appropriate?

    Love your drawings though it makes me realize how little talent I have myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't sell yourself short, Dave...you are a man of many talents. :)

      "Pet" peeve....hmmmmm...I'm not sure about that. It could upset some of the PETA mob....you'd better be careful! They'll have your guts for garters! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Yep I agree with you about this. "Pet" is a term of endearment, so why not call your pet something affectionate? It is easy to get exasperated with political correctness, though I think it is basically rooted in trying to do things the right way, so PETA's attitude here makes me a bit sad. They are good people, why start moralising as if the way decent loving people address their furry friends is somehow morally wrong of them. Oh and thank you for being kind enough to ask if all's well. As you can see I am here, and okay, but other things have been at the forefront lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to "see" you, Jenny. I was a little concerned re your absence.

      Some just take things far too far...to the point of being ridiculous...and this pet business is one time the limits have been stretched. There are more important issues about which to be concerned...and spend valuable time on, in my opinion.

      Take care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. The world seems to be getting crazier by the day!!!

    Love your drawings and that pork tenderloin recipe is definitely delicious :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does, Jan...that it does!

      Thanks for coming by...and all the best to you, too. :)

      Delete