Sunday, June 07, 2020

PARADISE LOST....PARADISE FOUND....WHAT IS PARADISE? No.2





Paradise has a different meaning to each one of us, I suppose.  For me...not being a religious person...i.e. a person who manifests devotion to a deity...I don’t look upward believing paradise to be behind the clouds...beyond the wide blue yonder.  

Of course, I could be wrong. I’m wrong about many things. There is always someone at the ready to point out that fact.  This is not to say I don’t look upwards to see if it’s going to rain...or to growl at the endless expanse above when something goes awry...or because of the widespread stupidity and hypocrisy that engulfs our world on a daily basis, unfortunately.

To some paradise is a sacred dream of perfection...of supreme bliss.  Both are impossible to find on planet Earth presently...if they ever were, or, even more disturbingly, and sadly, ever will be.  Humans prove time and time again, they never learn from past mistakes.  It’s about time humans did!

Paradise is where love outweighs hate; where peace replaces violence; where empathy is the permanent substitute for apathy.  Paradise is where common sense is the norm.

Paradise is where respect for one’s fellowman reigns, no matter their creed, culture or colour of their skin; where human life is valued most highly.  It is where cowards do not exist.

Paradise is where children are not harmed in any way; where children are valued, loved and nurtured.

Paradise is where all people are equal; where prejudice doesn’t exist; where self-esteem is encouraged, and held precious.

Paradise is to be able to laugh - openly, freely, joyfully...but not at the expense of another, or others. 

Paradise is where poverty doesn’t exist; where greed is unknown. 

Paradise is where corruption, duplicity and deceit are non-existent; where the only games played are those played in sports’ arenas, on playgrounds, in the yard, or in the manner of board games around the dining or kitchen table.

Paradise is for everyone throughout the world to be free...to be free to live in democratic societies; where one is allowed, and encouraged to be an individual; to have the right to be an individual without fear of reprisal. 

Paradise is a civilised world, free of chaos; a world filled with civilised people behaving civilly...and kindly towards each other.

Paradise is to live in harmony with nature and animals....

Paradise for me is also a place where no flies and sand flies/midges exist.  I guess that rules Tin Can Bay out.  When we used to visit Tin Can Bay during my childhood I was the main food supply source for the sand flies. They loved feasting on me.  I’m sure they flew around in circles doing a joyful jig every time I arrived at the Bay. To them, my presence was paradise.

From what I’ve expressed above, I guess some would say I live in a Fool’s Paradise.  That’s fair enough...they could be right.  On the other hand, they could be wrong.  

Paradise is not being dictated to, or dictating to.

Paradise is where morality is held in high stead; where the right principles of human conduct are exhibited and adhered to; where justice, fair play, decency, and ethical conduct are of the greatest importance.   

Paradise is a place – tangible or intangible - of beauty, not ugliness.

Paradise is a state of happiness, and of peace; where fairness is paramount...

Paradise is where crime in all its forms and guises is non-existent...

Imagine John Lennon’s lyrics.   Imagine the words of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow....where troubles melt like lemon drops...”   

Imagine living our lives by the sentiments of both songs. That would be paradise! 

Yep!  And for me...as long as Cherry Ripes, Connoisseur chocolate-coated ice creams on a stick are included...and my two furry mates, of course.  The three of us living in a little cabin on the foreshore with an uninterrupted ocean...and no nearby neighbours!

Chocolate Paradise Pie: Preheat oven 175C.  Melt 3tbs butter; add 1/3c digestive biscuit crumbs and 3tbs sugar. Combine well. Transfer to 946ml ovenproof dish. Press firmly into base. Top evenly with 1/3c choc chips. Bake until chocolate melts; spread melted choc out smoothly. Combine in bowl, 1/c plain flour, 1/4c sugar, 3/4tsp baking powder; add 1tsp vanilla, 1/3c milk, 1tbs canola oil; mix on low until smooth. Still on low, add 1/3c choc chips, 1/4c shredded coconut and 1/4c crushed walnuts. When thoroughly mixed, pour over crust. Bake, uncovered, 35-40mins. To serve; top pie with ice cream, and/or hot fudge and caramel toppings; sprinkle with walnuts.

Paradise Slice: Grease 20cmx20cm tray tin generously with butter. In bowl, using fingers, rub 225g plain flour and 115g butter together until it resembles bread crumbs. Stir through 30g caster sugar before adding 1 lightly beaten egg. Mix until combined into a soft pastry. Roll pastry to the size of greased tin; transfer to baking tray; push pastry into edges; trim excess: prick pastry all over; line with greaseproof paper; top with dry baking beans. Blind bake 5 mins in 190C oven. Remove beans; evenly spread 3 or 4tbs raspberry jam over pastry. Cream 115g butter and 115g caster sugar until light and fluffy; add 1 lightly beaten egg; mix until combined. Add 80g quartered glace cherries, 120g currants and 150g ground almonds; mix well. Spread evenly over pastry, edge to edge. Bake 30mins. Take from oven; sprinkle caster sugar on top; cool in tin. When cool, remove from tin; slice. 




29 comments:

  1. As you know I also don't subscribe to religion. Years back a bloggger told me that she couldn't understand how I could have any ethics without being a believer. I disagreed then, I disagree now. Indeed, because I don't have a belief in the afterlife (and time will tell whether I am right or wrong), I think it is up to me to do my best to live the very best way I can now. And I wouldn't argue with your long and aspirational list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are in accord, EC. You and I are not lesser beings because of our beliefs and non-beliefs. I know you are an ethical person...I know I am, too. I believe you also know I am. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. EC, that was going to be the first part of my comment too because I live on an Island where the Free Church of Scotland reigned (things have changed over the last half century) and, as an atheist for quite a while I have also been told that if I don't believe in God and Christ then I can't have a moral code. But then religion is not logical anyway.

      Delete
    3. Graham...throughout our childhood, my late brother Graham and I trotted off to Sunday School every Sunday morning...to the Presbyterian (Scots) Church in Nash Street, Gympie.

      I was around the age of 13 years,if not younger, when I began to question it all...It was probably around the same time I placed all my fairy tale books on the shelves and left them there. By doing so didn't mean I didn't enjoy the stories they told...or the guidelines they taught as good examples to follow in our "journey" through life. But I became aware of the difference between fantasy and reality.

      You, EC and I do have a moral code...anyone who says or thinks otherwise does not have a clue! :)

      Delete
    4. Lee, you beat me by three years. I went to Sunday school from 4 until I changed to church proper (no idea when that was) but it was at my confirmation classes that I fell out with the Vicar over some the life hereafter and started my journey towards atheism.

      Delete
    5. When I ceased going to Sunday School, Graham..I did attend a couple of the "church proper" services but quickly became disinterested and disgusted when half the service seemed to be about money...how much the church could get from the church-goers...that was it for me. It just didn't sit right for me...even at the young age I was at that time

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:29 PM

    While the paradise you write about will never exist, there is no reason why most people can't aspire to so many of the ideals. Ethics is a good start. Religion, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew...to hope...to do and be the best we can...have to be good paths to be on...

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I guess I am different here. I am a Christian and believe that I will be in paradise one day with Jesus. However, I do believe He gives us WONDERFUL gifts here on earth of paradise. Sometimes it harder to see than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sandie...I know you are a Christian...and I respect your right to your beliefs. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  4. Your description of paradise is certainly something to strive for in our lives. I will always love John Lennon’s Imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Bonnie. In the words of our Aussie singer, Delta Goodrem's son..."Born to Try"...and try me all must...to forge a better world in which to live.

      Yes..."Imagine" is a most memorable song.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Thoughts of paradise after reading your writings are plenty. We don't have a perfect world and if we did it would be rather mundane as we don't know paradise and never will I expect. We can only dream about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Margaret...I'd accept mundane over what is occurring throughout the world at present. It is possible to dream the impossible. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Paradise for me would be a home with a porch, deck or balcony where I could sit and watch the ocean every day, but that's a dream for the future. Right now, Paradise is home with the doors locked, blinds and curtains drawn, heater turned on and a big mug of hot milo, in my recliner chair with a sleeping cat between my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River...your dreams and mine are not so different. Our paths may cross one day as we stroll along a deserted beach with only the sounds of the ocean gently lapping the shore, and birds singing in chorus on the foreshore! Or, as we sit on our decks we can wave to each other from afar....you over there...and me over here! :) That would be paradise found...

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Lee, once again you have given me an idea and I shall, unashamedly, plagiarise it (with due acknowledgement being given, of course). I think any single one of your paradises would be a good start. I am, as you know, an eternal optimist whose outlook on life is as positive as I can make it. At the moment all I can say is that I am very glad that I am glad that I am in the last quarter of my life rather than the first quarter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Graham...you are more than welcome to express your own thoughts and feelings on this subject...no acknowledgement necessary...I don't hold a copyright. I think you and I think similarly on many things. :)

      Thanks for coming by....keep taking good care. :)

      Delete
  8. Paradise is my children finally deciding it was safe to visit me for my birthday. Their presence brought such joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Annie...and I am so glad they were able to do so. Having the warmth of the love of family around you would have brought you much joy. I know I wished you Happy Birthday elsewhere...but there are times when repetition is good...Happy Birthday. Annie. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. I love that paradise you described and if you find it, you can message me and I will join you...if they let me in! While I am an agnostic I do not think you have to fear hell to be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day,Tabor...consider it done....you can have the cabin a bit further on from River and me...down along the foreshore...where the palm and she-oak trees sway in the ocean breezes!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Paradise is what Chatty Crone described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan...for you, a fellow believer of Sandie's beliefs, I believe you believe that...and as I responded to Sandie...I respect your right to your beliefs.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. While we will never be perfect and be able to perfectly create such a paradise here, we can all do our best to try to live out that dream each day. When we fail, and we will, get up and keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say is correct, messymimi...try we must...to be better people..to be a better person within our own selves...by doing so a better world has to be the result.

      Thanks for coming by....take care. :)

      Delete
  12. I went to Paradise once, it was a small place near St John's in Newfoundland. It poured with rain the whole time we were there and I felt it wasn't fair. Paradise was supposed to be warm and sunny, a place we could all enjoy without complaining.

    I'm off now to stake my claim on that beach.....maybe on the Coral coast :).....where it's warm (and sometimes wet) but oh so peaceful and quiet. messymimi said it all - we must try, try and then try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Cathy...and try we do, time and time again. I'll see you up along the beach...somewhere where there aren't crowds of people...just peace and the sounds of the ocean. There are many beautiful spots on the Coral Coast...many to choose from! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. I'm just talking food and music!
    Love your recipes and music choices here, especially John Lennon.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete