Monday, December 07, 2020

WHAT’S NORMAL, ANYWAY? LIFE IS A LUCKY DIP....

 







 


 

My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”  Most people recognise this quote from the much-loved movie, “Forrest Gump”. 

Lately, I’ve been a grump.  There’ve been times I’ve not been able to see the forest for the trees. 

Mrs. Gump, I do understand your point about life being similar to a box of Cadbury’s Favourites variety pack.  Life isn’t always a picnic.  Often it’s a rocky road full of twists.  When life crumbles, it’s ripe for a boost.  It’s a delight to dream...to help ginger it up a bit!

This year has been a wizz fizz one filled with all sorts of sticky, testing periods.  It’s been a real clinker.  Often drowning in a bounty of distressing, sometimes frustrating moments, we wish lifesavers were at our beck and call. 

I imagine you’d not be a fan if I added my tales to the long list of 2020’s antics.

 Life can also be described as being like a bag of mixed lollies consisting of soft, hard, sweet and sour, coming in every shape and size under the sun.

This may appear to be a lot of humbug, but believe me, cobbers, life trundles along like a wagon wheel.  Life is filled with smarties, freckles, killer pythons, sneaky snakes, frogs, witchetty grubs, fads, gummies and bullets.  Life consists of more flavours than Allen’s Party Mix.  It has more colours than a rainbow. Life is as complex as the Milky Way. 

Many reach out for a few sherbets to help deal with it.

Stop blowing raspberries! I know I waffle on worse than Polly.  Life on Mars wouldn’t be as interesting as life on earth, I am sure.  It’s enough to make one tingle.

 It might surprise you to learn, even though I love watching movies, I don’t roll Jaffas down the aisle.  Because I do my viewing within these four, humble walls, if I rolled Jaffas it’d me who’d have to pick them up. Where’s the fun in that?  My two furry kit cats would chase the Jaffas around the room believing it was a great game created especially for them!

The Rascal Flatts sing “Life is a Highway”...the lyrics of which include...”Sometimes you bend and sometimes you stand...Sometimes you turn your back to the wind...”

 Into each life some rain must fall; into each heart some tears must fall. That’s life.  You can’t always get what you want. You can’t have it all. You have to give a little...take a little.  Don’t stop thinking about tomorrow.  Times, they are a-changin’.  Put a little love in your heart. Everybody hurts. Don’t stop believing...don’t worry, be happy.  Be humble and kind; keep your head up; dream, baby, dream.  Show respect.  Whatever is burdening you...let it go.  To everything...turn, turn, turn...there is a season...turn. turn, turn....and a time to every purpose...

Hey, Jube...I mean Jude....you may snicker...I know my pearls of wisdom are a mixed bag, and make me sound like a flake.  That’s okay...we can’t all be heroes.

I admit to nicking them....the “pearls”, not the lollies.

By golly!  I paid for the lollies. I’m not fudging! Check with the lass at IGA’s checkout.  She’ll vouch for me! 

I’ve said previously that the lock-down didn’t affect my every day by-choice reclusive lifestyle, but after my above nonsensical ramblings I know you’re thinking I should be locked up.  You could be right. 

However, the lads in white jackets have to catch me first!  It’s time for me to twirl and skittle!  Run, Lee!  Run!

Fruit Jelly Squares: Line baking dish with wrap. Soak 6 gelatine leaves in cold water for 5mins. In saucepan, mix 1/2c fresh fruit juice (e.g. cherry, grape, orange) with 1/2c water and 1tbs lemon juice. Stir in 2-3tbs sugar; bring to boil; reduce heat. Thoroughly squeeze the gelatine leaves; one by one, dissolve in juice-mixture; don’t boil. Pour jelly-mix into dish; set in fridge 6-7hrs. Cut into cubes. (For easier slicing, spread cutter/knife with some oil).  With a pastry brush, coat jelly with a thin layer of oil; toss in sugar (optional).

Rocky Road: Line 10x20cm loaf tin with baking paper. Cut 1/3c Allen’s raspberry jellies and 3/4c packed marshmallows (15 medium) in half. Cut 5 small shortbread biscuits to small bite size pieces. Finely chop 200g milk chocolate and 50g dark chocolate; combine in bowl. Melt and stir until just melted.  Don’t over-heat.  Add chopped lollies. shortbread and 1/4c peanuts to chocolate; mix well; tip into tin. Chill 2hrs to set firm. Cut into slices.

Black Cherry Jubes: Puree 400g tinned black cherries; strain puree for a smooth liquid. Place half of puree into small heavy-based saucepan with 3c white sugar. Heat gently; stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil; boil rapidly 5mins. Use wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals sticking to inside of saucepan above syrup.  Place remaining puree in small bowl; mix in 3tbs powdered gelatine. It’ll thicken quickly into a solid mass. When syrup has boiled for 5mins, remove from heat; add gelatine mix; stir until totally dissolved. Lightly grease 8x8 inch tray with oil spray. Pour mixture into tray; chill 3-4hrs. Set mixture will be springy and stretchy and pull away from edge cleanly. Sprinkle chopping board generously with caster sugar; carefully turn mixture out onto board. Sprinkle more sugar over top; rub in so it’s all coated. Use a lightly greased knife to cut into squares; coat each in sugar; air dry for a few hours or overnight. 

 

PS...My apologies to my Northern Hemisphere readers....some of you may not be familiar with the names of our Aussie lollies/candy and chocolates, which I've woven into my above sweet tale!






29 comments:

  1. No lads in white for you. Like me, you are not clinically nuts, just generally nuts (and i mean that in the nicest way possible!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi...It's more fun being nuts. Which is just as well for me that it is! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I love how you wrote this with all the lollies and the songs, thank you for the smiles. I never, ever, rolled my Jaffas down the aisle, to me that was a shocking waste of good lollies, and most of the time I had Maltesers anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River. I never rolled Jaffas down the aisles, either. I worked too hard for my pocket money to waste it by wasting Jaffas! I used to love Fantales...probably because I enjoyed reading the information on the wrapping, as much as I enjoyed the lolly itself!

      I'm glad I was able to give you some smiles.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I have a fridge magnet which says that 'The only normal people are those you don't know very well'.
    Which makes sense to me.
    And no, I never rolled Jaffas either. I got them very rarely and treasured them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, EC...I like that saying.

      I just popped the Jaffas into my mouth...no rolling for me, either!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I have heard Jaffas drop and roll but never have I done that.
    This year sure has been a mystery bag, you just don't know what's going to happen nexyt.
    Never seen the movie Forrest Gump for some reason, it's said it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Margaret. I never dropped Jaffas, either...too busy eating them! It's a long time since I've had any...maybe I should change that! :)

      It's a long time since I've seen "Forrest Gump", too. Perhaps I should shoot down to the Gold Coast...I might run into Tom Hanks. He and his wife, Rita Wilson, are still down there. He's in Baz Luhrmanm's new movie that is being made about Elvis. Hanks is playing Colonel Tom Parker.

      Thanks for coming by. Take care. :)

      Delete
  5. What's normal? Good question, especially nowadays.
    I like your philosophy on the complexities of Life. Sweets, songs, and movies are the best part of it.
    "Forest Gump" is an all-time great movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...I've never been normal, so I've not a clue! lol

      I must try and find the movie "Forrest Gump" somewhere...and watch it again. The time could be ripe for another viewing, I think.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Don't let anyone lock you up. You are probably the only sane one. I love the variety of chocolates in Russel Stover's with a map in the lid to tell you what everything is. No surprises for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Annie. I had to look-up "Russell Stover" because I wasn't familiar with the name...the brand. There are some very tempting looking varieties on offer.

      It is possible to draw a map of how one wants one's life to unfold...but life is never a straight line, and, in reality, life ignores the map, veering off in whatever directions it wishes.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. The world is crazy and we are all part of this world. Those few who are sane are usually boring, and I wouldn’t invite them to my party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...I agree...the boring ones are not good company at parties. I always steered clear of them! (At all times, actually, when and where possible!) lol

      Take good care,,,thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. As a Hebridean Kiwi I was astonished that I didn't know what an Australian Jaffa was. I have just read that they are also part of Kiwi culture but I'me sure I never came across them. To me in Kiwi parlance a JAFFA was just another f...... Aucklander. Not that I would say that in front of an Aussie of course. Kiwis can criticise Aucklanders but don't anyone else dare do it.

    I still haven't quite grasped what trials and tribulations you've had but they are obviously of very mixed fortune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham. It's a long time since I've had Jaffas. I might rectify that situation and buy myself a packet as a Christmas treat.

      The road I've travelled hasn't always been smooth, Graham...and often it wasn't as tasty as the rocky road chocolate sensation. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. My bit of madness, Sandra...just for the fun of it! :)

      Take care and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Whatever it is that's pushing your buttons, Lee I'd back you to come out on top. I have a magnet on my fridge that says, "One in every four people are unbalanced. Think of three friends if they seem OK, maybe it's you." No matter which three friends I think of I always have a chuckle to myself. Keep smiling = and entertaining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Pauline. I can relate to that fridge magnet...what it says...not my sticking to the fridge door! :)

      I'm glad you enjoyed my bit of madness. Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Many thanks for a great read :)

    Your recipe for Rocky Road would be popular with younger family members ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan...I'm glad you enjoyed my bit of fun. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I don't think anyone is normal because I don't think anyone really knows what normal is. After a year like this one we have all earned the right to be bouncing off the walls! Take care Lee and love those sweet cats for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is no fun in being normal, Bonnie. I'm normally not normal! :)

      You and Tom take care, too, Bonnie. Have you been able to get him out of that chair yet? Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. A sweet tale indeed. AND it's always fun to know what goodies are being eaten on the other side:)
    YOU take special care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...I've already stocked up on Liquorice Allsorts for Christmas. Christmas isn't Christmas without Liquorice/Licorice Allsorts. They wee always part of our Christmas table when we were kids. And I've always kept up the tradition.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by :)

      Delete
  14. there is definitely a lot to be grumpy about this year; now stop tempting me with all that candy, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda...Yep! We certainly don't need much urging to be grumpy! lol

      Go for broke...and dive into all that candy!

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. Even though I live in the Northern Hemisphere, Lee, and did not recognize all of the sweet treats named in this post, I did catch on fairly quick where you were going. Like yourself, at times my lifestyle is also a bit reclusive, and life has sure been different this year, but humor always helps. Thanks for a sweet look at life, even if I have had a Jaffe.

    ReplyDelete