Tuesday, September 20, 2022

IT’S NOT A CROCK…IT’S A CROC!

 

Hinchinbrook Island

Acrylic painting by me of Orchid Beach, where the resort was at Cape Richards on Hinchinbrook


                                                                                    


 

 

There are many things, when working within the hospitality industry, which make being in the industry, in whatever form, interesting, to say the very least.  Most folk met along the way are great, but, of course, there are always a few snags in the midst to muddy the waters.

I enjoyed the latest, all too short season of “My Kitchen Rules”.  For me, one episode, in particular, awakened memories. Once upon a time, in a life lived long ago, I cooked a lot, both professionally, and for personal reasons. Nowadays, I do neither.

A memory stirred, not shaken, was from my Hinchinbrook Island days.  My head chef’s foot had turned a deep purple, almost black, from coral poisoning. With no time to waste, I had him whisked off to the mainland for professional medical attention before his foot dropped off!  My second chef was off the island enjoying a break from the heat of the kitchen. With a resort full of guests needing to be fed, I donned an apron and raided the cold room and freezer.  I took a carton of what I thought were chicken thighs from the freezer. 

As they started to defrost I was surprised at the size of the thighs. 

“Bloody big chickens…they must be turkeys!”  I thought.  It was me who ended up being the turkey.  What I’d defrosted were crocodile legs!

At the time…I don’t know if the situation remains the same nowadays…a licence from the Edward River Mission Crocodile Farm, (now known as Pormpuraaw) in Cape York was required to purchase croc meat. Not wanting to waste the defrosted meat, I set to, letting loose with spices, herbs, and garlic, along with wine for marinating, razor-shape knives, and a wild, culinary imagination.  “Waste not, want not”.  No way in the world were my guests going to starve …and starve they didn’t. They loved their accidental croc dinner.  None jumped ship to swim ashore upon learning they’d eaten crocodile meat, which was just as well because salt-water crocodiles inhabit the waters of Missionary Bay…enough of a deterrent. 

A few years later, when cooking in another restaurant, on the menu I put crocodile kebabs as an entrée. They became a popular choice. At the same restaurant, up in the Bowen Basin, one memorable time the Yatala-based head office accidentally sent me a box of emu meat!  Fortunately, red wine and garlic are great disguises.  After slicing the emu meat thinly, scallopini-style, and marinating it in the above camouflage, Old Man Emu had a new lease on life.  The stars of good fortune were shining bright that night; it was an evening the hierarchy at Newlands Coal Mine were hosting a group of American financiers at the restaurant. When the US visitors saw emu was a “special” for the night, they ate me out of house and restaurant.  I asked head office never to send emu meat to me again.

Through the years, at various venues, as well as the above-mentioned, I’ve cooked some interesting food.  For example, snails/escargot, frog’s legs, eel, and ‘roo…and, oddly enough, once and once only, turtle meat.   I’ve no desire to do so again of any of the above. 

I’m proud to say, when cooking in a Gympie restaurant circa 2000 I made a croquembouche (no crocodile was harmed in the making). My croquembouche was as tall as the Eiffel Tower, with no inclination to emulate the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  It’s no crock!  It’s also not a crock my favourite way to finish off a long day and night toiling away in a restaurant kitchen was to feast upon a toasted/grilled cheese sandwich.  Even now that I’m a lazy old lady of leisure, toasted cheese sandwiches remain regular favourites.  Cheesy as it sounds, I love them!

 

Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Cut 2 bacon rashes in half; cook over med-low heat until crisp. Transfer to paper-lined plate; keep bacon fat aside. Wipe out pan; return to med-heat. Spread butter on 2 bread slices; place on pan, about 2mins.Transfer to cutting board toasted-side-up. Place one cheddar cheese slice on top of 1 bread slice, followed by bacon, tomato and avo slices. Top with second cheese slice; close sandwich. Add half of reserved bacon fat to pan; heat over med-low heat. Add sandwich; cook, until golden brown on both sides, and cheese is thoroughly melted.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich-Italiano: Heat 1tbs olive oil in large pan over med-heat. Add 57g prosciutto in single layer; cook until starting to crisp, but not dry. Remove from pan; place on paper-lined plate. Set aside. Remove pan from heat. In a bowl, whip 227g ricotta with 1/4c homemade or store-bought pesto until well combined. Set aside. In bowl, combine 85g each provolone and fontina cheese with 1/4c marinated sun-dried tomatoes.. In a small bowl, blend 6tbs softened butter, 1/4c grated parmesan and 2tbs chopped, fresh parsley; season to taste. To assemble; place 4 slices 1/2-inch thick sourdough bread on work surface. Slather each slice with the pesto ricotta (reserve extra for another use). Top 2 slices with about ½ cup grated cheese blend.  Top with 85g drained, marinated roasted red peppers and prosciutto. Add a little more of the grated cheeses; place other 2 slices on top, ricotta side down; press together slightly. Heat same pan used for prosciutto.  Spread herb butter on top of each sandwich; put buttered side down in pan. Spread butter on top side. Cook until bottom side is golden brown and crisp, about 5mins. Flip and cook another 5mins on other side until golden, and cheese has completely melted.

21 comments:

  1. Before I became a vegetarian I have eaten croc, and roo. Not emu though and I don't think frog's legs. Or turtle.
    I don't miss them - but agree with you about toasted cheese sandwiches. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, EC...I don't miss them, either, and have no intention of "going back there".

      On Tuesday I treated myself and had a toasted cheese sandwich, along with some grilled cheese! Yum! Yum!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. Good memories of what you cooked. Didn't know that we were permitted to eat crock meat or turtle let along emu meat..oh dear guess I would try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret....Only the Indigenous and Torres Strait Island folk are allowed to eat to eat turtle meat.

      The reason I cooked it that one time on Newry Island was because one of the regular trawlers arrived, quite distraught, actually. Accidentally, a turtle had become trapped in their nets...it died. Not wanting to waste the meat they did what needed to be done. Upon arriving at the island they explained, in detail, the situation, and gave some of the turtle meat to me. I'd not ever had anything to do with turtle meat, but I, too, couldn't just throw it away. I cut it very thinly, again scallopini-style...marinateded it. That evening I cooked it on the barbecue and told my resort guests it was veal. They believed me and loved it. What little of the meat that was left over. I threw away. If the Harbours and Marine guys came to do an inspection, which they did sometimes, unannounced, to check what was in my freezer and cold room and found turtle meat, I would have been in trouble. They checked the stocks to see that during the off-season of barramundi fishing, no barra was found in store.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. I think I'll bypass on the Croc...lolol
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're allowed, Donna. It's a mix between chicken and fish in taste. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Had alligator meat in Florida, tasted like fishy chicken.......never again ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenny...I'll never cook or eat it again, either. Actually, I didn't really eat it back then...only when taste-testing when I was cooking it.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank heavens I've never been called upon to cook those exotic meats. I'd have no idea what to do with them. I've eaten roo (had no idea what I was eating, it was bbqed and just tasted like overcooked rubber) and frog's legs - my imagination got in the way of my enjoying that. Toasted cheese sandwiches are a favourite Sunday night go to of mine, too. I have no idea why they taste better on Sunday night. Probably memories of being so tired from a weekend of surf and sun having no energy for anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Pauline. I hadn't planned on ever cooking those meats, either...but sometimes things change! lol I had no other choice in most instances. However, in saying that, I guess, in a way, I am glad I had the chance of doing so....I lived and worked in some interesting places!! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. Your croc is probably similar to the alligator meat some eat here. They take especial delight in having alligator when a team called the "Gators" is playing against one of our local teams.

    None of it is something i want to try.

    Have you ever had a double decker bacon and grilled cheese with Swiss cheese and grilled onions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...as I commented in my response above to Donna...crocodile "flavour" is between chicken and fish. I've no desire to cook it again...or eat it again. I only ate it when taste-testing what I was cooking at any given croc-cooking time!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. I've never eaten crocodile meat although I'd like to try one day. "no-one" has tried emu and says it was very tough. I used to buy roo meat from the market when the kids were all at home still, because it was cheaper than steak and great when marinated and barbecued. Roo mince got mixed with beef mince to make burgers and meatloaf. It helped stretch the budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...if prepared with care and correctly croc can be tasty, although, as I've said previously, I've no desire to prepare it or eat it again.

      The emu I prepared that particular night was very tasty, apparently, from all the reports back I received from my diners. It proved to be a very popular item on the menu that night...so much so I had none left after they left!

      I understand about roo meat "stretching the budget". The last time I had roo meat was about 18 years ago...thereabouts.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. I think I'll just stick with cheese ... yummy :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Jan...those days are long gone...but not forgotten!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. I will take chicken and/or cheese please. By the way, I could not comment here without allowing cookies. That is a new thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie...chicken and cheese coming up, ma'am!! :)

      All the problems we're having with blogging lately are a pain in the proverbial!

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. Don't forget to have a look at "Virgin River". :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reminder. I think my sister is still watching it.

      Delete
  10. I know what a croquembouche is as it often tests the baking skills of competitors in the culinary competitions we watch on TV, the Great British Baking Show for example. You would have been a strong contestant in these, I would bet. My own cooking skills never got far past grilled cheese sandwiches and I sometimes burned them. Just curious. do they celebrate Ocktoberfest there like they do here and in parts of Europe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dave. I used to love cooking. I was self-taught, and initially talked my way into my first job cooking for a living in a restaurant up on the Sunshine Coast. My now late ex and I used to dine at the restaurant often, and then we heard they'd lost their chef...so, I put myself forward for the position. What a sales' pitch!!! No guts...no glory! lol

      Oktoberfest is celebrated in our capital cities...each boasting theirs is the best. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)



      Delete