Friday, November 24, 2023

HERE I GO AGAIN….REPEATING MYSELF!

 



                                       

 




This time of the year, every year, I’m in awe at the beauty that surrounds. I offer no apology for, once again, sounding like a broken record by describing the joy I always feel when I drive along to and from my local supermarket at this time of the year.  As is my choice, I’m not one to be out and about much.  Mostly, I prefer to stay at home, not only to my own delight, but, probably to that of everyone else, too.

At this time of each year the blooming jacaranda trees never cease to enlighten, and brighten my spirits when I do dare venture forth.  Like purple raindrops, the brilliant blossoms fall. Rich purple carpets enhance the roadsides and walkways.  All too soon jacaranda season comes to an end. Appreciating every possible moment during their brief, colourful performance, I give thanks to each and every one of the beautiful, blossoming tree I see.

Overcome by the intense splendor of jacarandas in full bloom, tears often well in my eyes (where else?).  Certain childhood memories enjoyed during jacaranda seasons flood my mind.  Playing on the swings, seesaw, and slippery slide in Gympie’s Memorial Park surrounded by the purple brilliance; playing “chasey” around the rotunda, the well-kept lawns and the rose-filled garden beds, were frequent, much enjoyed childish pleasures.

Julie Andrews made a boo-boo by incorrectly singing the lyrics, which actually are; “The hills are alive with the colour purple.”  This hill, also, is alive with the colour purple at present. For too brief a period each year, this beautiful area we’re fortunate to inhabit is covered in a purple haze.  Surrounded by the stunning lavender array, one may not be far off the mark in thinking jacarandas were the inspiration behind the music of Jimi Hendrix and Prince.

I guess, too, my ever-lasting love of jacarandas was one of the reasons, the “Singing Cowboy” aka Burl Ives’ version of “Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly)” from the 1949 Walt Disney film, “So Dear to My Heart” was so dear to my heart when I was a kid.  You youngsters out there (that means anyone younger than me…which is just about everyone)…do a Google search on Ives.  He was a well-loved character of many shades.

In past years, life wasn’t always a bed of roses, nor was life a magic purple carpet ride, but it’s better for one’s equilibrium to preference joyful memories over upsetting ones.

A chilling moment, the memory of which never failed to make me laugh once I’d calmed down, occurred when my brother, Graham, our Nana, and I were sitting at the top of our front stairs late one afternoon,  The previous evening Graham had watched the 1960 Alfred Hitchcock horror movie, “Psycho”, which starred Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh.  During Graham’s purposely dramatic, detailed, sombre, nail-biting relating of the movie’s storyline, engrossed, Nana and I soon became lost within the scary story.  Without prior warning, Graham bellowed loudly. His unexpected, loud outburst frightened the hell out of both Nana and me, causing us to almost fall down the stairs!  Having the reactions he’d aimed for by his Oscar-worthy performance, Graham laughed his head off.  Instead of an Oscar, I presented him with a thump on the arm!

I’ve many happy memories from past jacaranda seasons.  Nana was a Scorpio, as am I.  A couple of days separated our birthdays. When I was still quite young, I decided to surprise her by making her a birthday cake.  It was to be the first cake I’d ever made without adult guidance. The way it turned out, it was a miracle I ever made another.  With little forethought, I chose to make a sponge.  It would’ve been a far better plan to have purchased a bath sponge, smothered it in icing, and stuck a few candles on top!  My sponge was a disaster from go to whoa. I used too many eggs – our bantams were prolific producers that year - and not enough flour. My future catastrophe rose to the high heavens. To my dismay, once removed from the oven, it collapsed flatter than the flattest pancake, as did my confidence and mood. As time passed, through the ensuing years, that particular episode…my valiant, well-intended effort… also caused us much laughter.

 

Purple Grape Cake: Preheat oven 175C. Grease and flour 23cm round cake pan. In bowl, mix together 1-1/2c plain flour, 1-1/2tsp baking powder, and 1/2tsp salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, cream together 1/2c softened, unsalted butter and 1c sugar until light and fluffy. Add 2 large eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition; stir in 1tsp vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with 1/2c milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Gently fold in 2c fresh purple grapes. Pour batter into cake pan; smooth top. Bake 50-60mins, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven; let cake cool in pan for 10mins; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Nana’s Easy Sponge (Obviously not the one I used): Preheat oven 160C. Grease and flour 20cm cake pan. In bowl, sift together 100g plain flour and 30g cornflour; set aside. In large bowl, add 4 room-temp eggs and 100g sugar; beat for 15mins; add 1/2tsp vanilla; beat another 2mins. Gently fold half sifted flour into beaten eggs; combine; then add remaining flour; gently fold until smooth and completely combined.  Pour into pan; bake 30-35mins. Cool in pan, 10mins; move to wire rack to cool completely.  Go wild…decorate to your heart’s delight!     


21 comments:

  1. I remember my first sponge cake which went into the oven already flat and came out more like shortbead. It was in home economics class and we all had our sponges mixed and ready to bake but there were only four ovens and fifteen girls! those of us who had to wait got flat cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! I'm glad I wasn't alone re sponge cakes, River! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care.

      Delete
  2. I envy you the beauty of the jacarandas. It is too chilly for them down here.
    My first cake disaster involved me making a cinnamon sugar to dust over the top of the cake - except that I used copious quantities of ground cloves instead. And no brushing off the sugar didn't help. The cloves had permeated the entire cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, EC....every time I see the jacarandas in bloom I know just how fortunate I am. They are so, so beautiful.
      .It appears you, River and I have had some disasters! Hahahahaha! It's good to have a laugh. More particularly, when we can laugh out our own self. :)

      Take care....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. The cakes in your above pictures look beautiful and...decadent. Thanks for sharing the recipes for the sponge cake and the purple grape cake.
    It's lovely the way the jacarandas provide you with joyful memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA....We have to hang onto...hold onto the good, the happy memories to help remain sane in this troubled world.

      Thanks for coming by....stay safe...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. jacarandas, love them, and I repeat myself a lot, some of the repeats are worth repeating after all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...It's difficult not to love jacarandas, Linda. Such a beautiful display they put on. See...here I go again...repeating myself! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  5. Exotic they are!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are, Tabor. Jacarandas were introduced to our country...they came from South America, and I'm so glad they dd!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you are enjoying nature's beauty. Burl Ives went to the same college I did. He got thrown out for getting caught climbing out of a women's dormitory window at dawn:) And yes, we were there at different times:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Yeah! You sure it wasn't your window, Sandra???? lol (You know I'm kidding...please don't be offended). :)

      Thanks for coming by....take good care...and keep that window shut!!!! :)

      Delete
  7. Alas, no jacaranda trees in Michigan here. They sound so beautiful by your description, I can almost picture them. I just had a cousin fly to Sidney to board cruise ship. From Michigan, that was over 24 hours flight time. Almost as scary to me as seeing Psycho. After I watched that movie late at night I went to open my bedroom door and it make a noise as if it were going to open itself. It was truly spin-chilling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dave. The jacarandas are sights to behold. Their beauty is spell-binding..

      I hope your cousin has a wonderful time here in Aus, and is treated well by one and all. Long flights don't appeal to me, either! :)

      "Psycho" sure gave many of us a fright! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Lee, Sorry I'm so late to the jacaranda party. Tried to leave a comment days ago, hope I have more luck this time. I think I've told you this before. My sister's last words before she died were, "The jacarandas will be out soon." We loved the jacarandas that flourished in Nudgee. Their blooming always touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Pauline...Your sister's last words have brought tears to my eyes. Tears are frequent visitors to me these days.

      The jacarandas have almost finished blooming. Some are still hanging on, but soon they'll be all gone...all too soon

      I've been having trouble posting on some blogs, too, lately. It is very frustrating.

      Thanks for coming by....take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my ... those cakes in your pictures do look tasty.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind a slice or three at the moment, Jan! Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. The jacaranda trees never fail to amaze me with their beauty and only by way of photos; someday maybe I will see them up close 😉 Staying home is not such a bad thing to enjoy as it is also one of my favorite places, Lee. Thanks for sharing that family memory, but Psycho is never a movie I want to see even knowing what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though Jacarandas have been around throughout my life, Beatrice, I never cease to be amazed by them each season. They truly are so beautiful.

      It's a long time since I watched "Pyscho"...and I've only seen it the one time, so long ago. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care.

      Delete
  11. Hi Lee, It's been a while since you last posted. I hope you are happy and well.

    ReplyDelete