Saturday, September 12, 2015

HOME IS WHERE THE ART IS….



Graphite Sketch by me

Two Acrylic paintings both painted by me.


I’m not sure who Art is; although, I do know a little about him; and it’s not all just black and white! Art hangs around, but he doesn’t live with me - not officially, anyway. Art often goes into hiding. He thinks someone’s out to frame him! His background is somewhat abstract, therefore I usually brush his suspicions aside.

I loved drawing and painting when I was kid. I still do. After all, I’ve not yet grown up, let alone reached my second child/kid-hood.  I’m having too much fun the way I am to change.  Why move up a notch?  Why fix something that ain’t broke? 

Even though I still enjoy drawing and painting I’ve not lifted a pencil or paint brush for a while.  I ran out of space on my walls. - I’ve only four!
  
The fairest thing for me to do was to stop toying with Art. My decision, which I believed to be sensitive and considerate, broke Art’s heart apart.  Maybe it’s why Art hangs around. However, he stretched the limits. I canvassed friends; they agreed.

It was a tough, harsh judgment call, but rather than store any future masterpieces in folders for them to end up being dust and cobweb collectors, never again to be seen by human eyes, my brushes, paints and pencils are now the dust gatherers.  Collectors’ pieces they’ll never be!

I’m old enough to remember the Chucklers’ Weekly, a children’s magazine published in Sydney in the mid to late Fifties. Fortunately, I was young enough at the time to enjoy Charlie Chuckles and his gang. 

Eagerly, I became a member of the Charlie Chuckles’ Club. I wore my Kookaburra badge with pride!  The kookaburra was the magazine’s mascot. 

Perhaps it’s the reason the kookas hang around my cabin.  When I take a step outside the kookaburras break out in laughter. I’m never quite sure if they’re laughing at me, or thanking me because I give them meat scraps each afternoon - on the dot at the same time.  If I don’t abide by their schedule they make me aware of my tardiness.  Running late is not worth the abuse I receive. My heart is tender; I hurt easily. 

As a child, frequently, if not weekly, I contributed to the Chucklers’ Weekly, along with thousands of other Aussie kids of the era. 

One of my greatest thrills was to have an Indian ink or graphite drawing, or a painting I’d created using poster paints, published in the magazine.  Along with the excitement I felt when my artwork appeared in the Weekly was the delight I experienced the few times my childish verses of poetry were published. Naturally, at the time I didn’t think my poetry was “childish”.  In my dreams I became the modern-day Fifties’ reincarnation of Elizabeth Barrett Browning; a younger version, of course; innocent, simple pleasures and dreams of a simpler, more innocent time. I’m glad I was a kid during those years.  Perhaps some of the comic artists, the cartoonists on the payroll of the Chucklers’ Weekly inspired future illustrators; for satire, caricature or humour; or for more serious artwork; some may even hang on the walls in art galleries throughout Australia, or even further afield in countries across the oceans blue. 

A Charlie Chuckle’s Club past member might have won an Archibald Prize or an Archibald Packing Room Prize.  Who knows? Art might.  I’ll ask him on the quiet. He’s been framed so often his eyes glaze over when approached.

Art has a diverse range of activities; visual, decorative, performing, in print etc. Many questions were raised during his romantic period. The advent of Modern Art was a renaissance for him.  He’s a squatter, too. Home is where the Art is; make Art welcome; let’s open our hearts to Art.

(In an effort to kick start my latent itch I did, however, purchase a new sketch pad a few weeks ago, but I’ve not had the heart to tell Art as yet.  The unopened, unsullied pad sits on my coffee table hidden under a couple of books, out of Art’s view).

Spinach-Artichoke Penne: Cook 240g penne pasta per instructions. Heat 3tbs olive oil in pan; add 4 minced garlic cloves; sauté 2-3mins; stir in 1 bag fresh spinach; cook about 2mins; remove set aside; in same pan, melt 1tbs butter; add 1x440g can artichokes, rinsed, drained, quartered; cook 2mins; add to spinach. Melt 1tbs butter on low heat, whisk in 2tbs plain flour; whisk in 1-1/2c milk; season; cook 5mins; add 1/4c shredded parmesan, 1/2c shredded mozzarella, ½ cup shredded Colby; stir until melted; add pasta and vegetables; mix thoroughly; serve warm garnished with parmesan.

Kale-Spinach-Goat Cheese Penne: Cook 1-3/4 to 2c penne. Heat 2tbs olive oil and 1tbs butter in pan over med-heat; add 2 finely sliced garlic cloves and 1 minced onion; cook 2-3mins; add 1 can artichokes, quartered, 3c, packed, kale leaves, stems removed; then add 3c spinach leaves; add handful lightly toasted slivered almonds; season. Don’t overcook. Add greens to cooked pasta; add 85g crumbled goat cheese and 85g grated parmesan; stir to combine; serve. 

Plum Tomatoes-Artichoke Penne: Halve 250g cherry tomatoes; cut 1 red onion into very thin wedges; place on large baking tray; drizzle with 1tsp olive oil and 1/2tbs balsamic; season; bake in preheated 200C oven about 10mins. Cook 350g penne; drain, return to pan; add toms/onions, 1 jar of roasted red capsicum strips, 120g oil-free marinated artichokes, quartered, 50g drained, torn bocconcini and 1/2c fresh basil leaves, torn, to pasta with 1/2tbs balsamic; toss; season with pepper.

Arty Latte: Heat 55g Kahlua, 3/4c milk, 2tbs coconut cream, pinch of cinnamon and 2tbs sugar; froth in blender; pour into shredded coconut-rimmed 2 glasses; top each with an espresso shot.

29 comments:

  1. Cooking, art: one feeds the body, both feed the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Cosmo...I'm about to feed the body...lunch is on the way...

      Thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete
  2. Just Do It ~ break out the sketchbook and paints again Lee. It will rekindle a love and talent that will sustain you like your cooking. if you get to a point of framing again, perhaps one of the restaurants/cafes will hang your work (for sale). Think of all those tourists who would love to take an original piece of Aussie art home. Keep us posted. I know ~ start your canvasses small ~ Christmas cards for your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Carol...I should...and one day again soon I will, but just for my own fun and sense of fulfillment. I'm getting closer...I have the new pad...I still have all my pencils...and I do have a couple of blank canvases and tubes of paint....underneath all the dust! :)

      Thanks for coming by...I hope all is well...and life is treating you kindly. :)

      Delete
  3. Girl is there anything you can't do? Cook - write - draw - be funny - and be a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie...the thing I'm expert at is playing the fool...all else is done with mirrors! :)

      Thanks for coming by. It's always nice to see you. :)

      Delete
  4. Agreeing with everyone who has commented before me.
    And a tad envious of your Kookas. We hear them occasionally but rarely see them now. Beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my kookas are wonderful, EC. I love them They stand at my screen door peering at me every afternoon...and vocally letting me know they're there...as do the butcher birds, maggies and currawongs - and my couple of crows who are the shy ones. They hang back until the others have had their fill. Alfred Hitchcock would be proud of me!

      The kookaburras also sit atop of my clothes' line posts and spy through my kitchen window. There is no escape for me!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Not only does she blog and (in the past) run several businesses including an island resort, now she is an artist as well! Is there no end to this woman's talents?
    Pssst, she cooks too.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, River! I'm just a try-hard! Not many talents here! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. I forgot research assistant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha, River! I hadn't seen this comment until I'd responded to yours above! Thanks for the laughs. :)

      Delete
  7. I too agree with all above comments, I think your paintings should be hung on cafe and restaurant walls and coffee shops, those I've visited I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the art by local artists and your's would definitely be a treat to see.

    I had to give up collecting paintings because I ran out of wall space and those along with all my photographs had no where to hang and now I'm taking a painting class. art has a way of inserting itself insidiously no matter how hard we try to squeeze him out. and my pottery I must sell so I can make room to make more. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly keep yourself very busy with your wonderful pottery, Linda...and now art classes on top...wow! The way you're going soon you might have to give up your home to Art and live outside in a tent or caravan! :)

      Thanks for dropping by and for your comment. :)

      Delete
  8. I have the very good fortune to be going to Lord Howe Island soon, I wonder if it will look like the poster!!

    Glad you liked my wordy post.

    cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stewart! Those kids might still be diving about...I hope they've come up for air!!

      I look forward to seeing your photos of your trip to Lord Howe...

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Well, Lee, if you don't call that talent I hate to think how you would rate my (in)abilities. If I could write a punny piece like that I should be delighted never mind draw or paint. I did write a couple of poems once though but after 5 decades I've never managed another one. As for Art just think how much those of us who have no Art to fall back on envy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham...don't sell yourself short. Your photos are works of art. Art works in many mysterious and wondrous ways. I'm not a very good photographer...I just point and shoot...not even Jesse James would be proud of me! :)

      Thank you for your generous words..you are more than kind. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Lee,
    I am dropping by after reading your Words for Wednesday post on River's blog. I loved it. This post has me thinking about all sorts of things - and wishing that I had all the ingredients to make your Kale-Spinach- Goat Cheese Penne on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Susan...thanks for dropping by...please don't be a stranger. Any friend of River's is a friend of mine! :)

      I'm glad you like my Wednesday Words...they're a good opportunity to help kick-start the old grey matter into gear! I need as much help as I can get! lol

      Delete
  11. You are such a talented artist! Do you ever sell these? If not, you should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, RK. I only draw and paint for my pleasure. I did trade one, plus $200 for the fridge I've now got off friends of mine a few years ago. So I guess in a round-about way I did sell that one. It a great deal, in my favour, because the fridge-freezer is a really good one...large and as new.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Wish I had some of that pasta for lunch! Looks so good.

    You are quite the artist - I can't wait to see what you sketch to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Lynn...I made a pasta dish for my lunch the other day...I made too much, of course...I should've sent some up to you. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. More of your art would be good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself similar, Mr. Ad-Man...it's good fun to do. I'm slack, I know...and I'm very good at being slack.

      I was going to nominate for the position of President of the Procrastinators' Club...but I've put it off for now.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Lee you have such talent , my favourite here is the kookaburra, I can almost here him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leisha.

      My kookas sit on a post out from my kitchen window and watch me through the window with that look in their eyes. I love them.

      And thanks for popping in, too. :)

      Delete