Wednesday, August 01, 2018

BLURRED LINES....




I’m sure you’ve experienced times when the lines become blurred.  There’s a simple fix.  Grab a tissue, and clean your glasses. You’ll see everything clearly again. 

Seriously, though, like I have, every so often you come across someone who argues the point, crosses the line, disagreeing with everything you say, no matter if the facts are obviously on your side.  It matters not if the evidence is so evident even Blind Freddy can see, that person will argue black is white, or white is black. Grey doesn’t come into it.  

Commonsensical explanation doesn’t stand a chance of changing their obstinate mind.

You may as well let them have the floor – and ceiling – and, if push comes to shove, the walls, too.

Driven by an unseen force they’ll argue their point of view until they’re red in the face.  
You can bet your bottom dollar if you say it’s cold, the antagonist will disagree with your assessment of the weather, declaring it’s warm.

Like an evangelist they keep preaching this is so, or that’s not so. 

When trapped in such situations, it’s best to nod or shake your head at appropriate intervals.

You can argue until you’ve turned purple, but it’s not worth wasting precious energy.

My advice is to smile and say, “Adieu”, than have a blue. 

There are moments you are pushed over the edge, beyond the point of frustration.

Even if, at the crux of the matter - at the central point of the subject in discussion, they are as one with your belief, your opinion etc., - they will argue the issue, dispute the topic - disagree - just for the sake of dissent. 

By being contrary such a person gets more kicks than a football. (They probably call it a “handball”...just for the sake of argument)!

Contrary to what they say, they really believe the opposite, but gain perverse pleasure from being contradictory. 

It doesn’t cut the mustard with me, but, in surrender, I end up waving a white flag. Yes, a white flag, not a black one; oft times it’s chequered. 

Can the aforementioned problem be solved?    

I believe so, but I’ll have to find the right moment to put my solution into practice.  

The first step I need to take is to be quiet.  I must learn to refrain and desist from talking to myself... and from answering back.

My continual arguing back and forth has to cease.  For one thing, I disturb Shama and Remy’s sleep.

It’s as simple as that...or is it....probably not!  There I go again...contradicting myself.

Will I ever learn...probably not!

On the other hand, arguing with one’s own self, even though frustrating, does have its good points. 

It’s best done out of the earshot of others, though.  That’s easy in my case because I live alone, except for my two querulous furry mates.

Win or lose, during such discussions, I come out the winner...the conqueror, one way or the other.  It’s a win-win situation...or a lose-lose situation... but I still victorious...or that’s what I tell myself.

An important lesson I’ve learned through the years is... I don’t stand a chance of winning any arguments with my two furry, purr-fect mates.  I conceded defeat on that score ages ago. 

Roasted Baby Turnips with Parsley-Mustard Vinaigrette: Preheat oven 218C. In bowl, whisk 1tbs white wine vinegar with 1-1/2tsp whole-grain mustard, 1 minced shallot, 1-1/2tbs chopped Italian parsley and 1/4c x-virgin olive oil; season.  Heat rimmed baking sheet in oven. Cut 24 baby white turnips in half through stems; quarter, if large. In bowl, toss turnips with 1/4c x-virgin olive oil; season. Spread turnips on preheated baking sheet; roast 18mins, until tender. Transfer turnips to a platter; cool. Drizzle with vinaigrette; serve.

Potatoes with Mustard Seeds: Boil 500g whole potatoes until tender; cool; remove skins; cut into quarters.  Heat 6tbs oil in pan over med-high heat until it begins to sizzle; add 1 bay leaf. Lightly crush 2 whole black cardamom pods; add to oil. Lower heat; add 2tbs mustard seeds, 1tsp cumin seeds. Watch carefully so they don’t burn. When seeds begin to pop, add 1/2tsp ground turmeric, 1/4tsp red chilli powder, 1/4tsp freshly ground black pepper and 1tsp salt. Add potatoes; stir to coat; sprinkle over chopped coriander.

Honey Mustard Chicken Wings: Heat  saucepan over med-heat. Melt 1/2c butter; then stir in 4 minced garlic cloves. Cook 1 to 2mins, or until the garlic is lightly browned. Whisk in 1/2c mustard and 1/3c honey. Stir 1tbs Worcestershire sauce, 1tsp cider vinegar; season. Reduce heat to low; simmer 3-5 mins, until thickened. Set aside. Rinse 1kg chicken wings; pat dry. Generously season; dredge in flour, shake off excess.  In saucepan heat oil 190C. Fry wings in batches until golden, 8-10mins. Shake off excess oil; drain.  Toss wings with the sauce; serve warm with leftover sauce for dipping.

Maple-Mustard Chicken: Preheat oven, 200C. Heat ovenproof pan over med-high heat; add 2tsp olive oil. Season 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves. Add chicken to pan; sauté 2mins on each side or until browned. Remove from pan. Add 1/3c chicken broth, 1/4c maple syrup, 2tsp chopped fresh thyme, and 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves to pan; bring to boil; scrape pan down browned bits. Cook 2mins; add 1tbs cider vinegar and 1tbs stone-ground mustard; cook 1min; stir constantly. Return chicken to pan; spoon mustard mixture over; bake 10mins or until done. Remove chicken from pan. Place pan over med-heat; cook mustard mixture 2mins or until syrupy; stir frequently; serve with chicken. 

















26 comments:

  1. Fundamentalist anything scares me. And they are the most likely to be totally oblivious to reason/logic.
    I run away from them as fast as I can - and feel less than no shame about my cowardice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, EC. I dodge them, too; one in particular, but I won't go into detail.

      For the fun of it, I turned my comments, my true meaning, around onto myself...but there is one, particular person out here in the real world who is one of those, as I said, that I dodge whenever I can. ;)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of those who are contrary just for the sake of arguing. If they have valid points of difference that are open to discussion, that's fine, but when they insist that theirs is the only possible point of view, I'll glance at my watch and declare I'm late for something and rush off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...my response to EC above pretty much applies here, too.

      People as described certainly are pains the the proverbial!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Have you got what they call a split personality like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde? Or perhaps you have simply got a side-splitting personality...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever floats your boat, Yorkie. In the words of Popeye..."I yam what I yamj!" :)

      The way I am means I don't need the company of others...I've a flowing conversation going on at all times! :)

      Thanks for coming by, Mr. Pud. :)

      Delete
  4. There is too much to argue about these days. I try to avoid conflict. There is nothing I can do to change a religious opinion or a political opinion. We can only get along if we agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie...I don't mix with too many people being the anti-social person I am these days...as I wrote...I talk to myself (and my two furry mates) more than I do to fellow humans. I'm content with my own company. It doesn't take much to keep me amused...and out of trouble. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. There is someone i know who argues just for the sake of it. He claims, "I just said that to see what you would say." What i generally say to him now is nothing, he's too much trouble to deal with.

    Arguing with myself, now, that's an entirely different matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey messymimi....Yep! I stick to arguing with myself...it's less stressful. lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4:07 PM

    I have a workmate who always replies to anything I say, aside from hello, with 'No brother......'. Really! I can't be wrong all the time. He is a nice person and I doubt he is aware of how negatively he speaks. I know he likes me as he pokes and taps me to emphasise points, as do many south east Asian men when they see you as.......I don't know. When they feel relaxed with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Andrew. I hate people poking and tapping me. I'd soon tell them to stop doing so.

      We're all allowed our opinions, and I respect that, but when a person argues the point just for the sake of hearing their own voice...they lose me. I don't get into verbal back and forths with them. They believe they are correct...so why burst their bubble? :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. There's a memory! I once encountered a "toucher" and told him quite firmly not to touch what he couldn't afford. Of course after that he was convinced I was a hooker, but at least he never touched again.

      Delete
    3. Good for you, River! :)

      I called out the husband of a friend (more of an acquaintance) in front of everyone at a Melbourne Cup party at the home of friends of ours back in the early 80s.

      It was a well-known fact by many that the fellow was a bit of a mauler with roving hands...and that particular day he pushed his luck just a bit too far.

      I couldn't stand him at the best of times and that afternoon he put his arm around my back and his hand touched the side of my breast. So I called him out there and then...saying to him...within earshot of others..."Touch me like that again and I will bloody well deck you!"

      He moved away immediately...and stayed out of way from that moment forth!

      Delete
  7. There are people who're just born to be contradictory. Say 'white', he'll say 'black'. It is best to avoid them, once they get detected.

    Argument over differences of opinion, that's a different matter, and it's legitimate. Nowadays, however, people don't want any argument; they'll unfriend you on faceboook and delete you on blogger if your opinion is different. They'll even boast about having done that!!

    Your chicken recipes are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, DUTA...I stay well away from having online arguments...there is no point...there is no result. I try to keep blogging etc., free of political discussions etc....light and breezy will do me. :)

      Yes...I stay away from those who gain pleasure from be contradictory just for the sake of being so. I can't be bothered with such people.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I never start and argument with myself because I am always right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor....Yep...but it's fun being the winner! The wear of the golden belt always!! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete



  9. LOL I had no idea you had met my sister in law. Remember my kitchen sig, Haha Peace


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lady Di...I ran into one such person this morning....and I never got to complete a sentence and he never heard the few words I managed to utter. I couldn't get a word in edgewise, so I just shut up and let him have the floor! lol

      Thanks for coming by.:)

      Delete
  10. Arguing black is white...sounds like our politics these days.
    Have a great weekend, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...that's politics everywhere, every day! Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Lee, arguments, disagreements !!!
    I'm just going to stick with your wonderful chicken recipes.
    I love chicken!

    Have a great week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I'll just stick to my muesli and banana that I'm eating at the moment, Linda! Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Lee, it must be very hard to bite your tongue sometimes, but life is like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Terry...I often wonder how it is that I've still got any of my tongue left...I bite it so often! :)

      'Tis good to see you...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete