Monday, August 27, 2018

LOST FOR WORDS – BUT HOPEFULLY STILL ON THE BALL!




I know this has nothing to do with anything.  Regardless, I shall venture forth.  If I stumble, I shall pick myself up. 

Upon further contemplative thought, what I’m pondering probably is of little consequence in the whole scheme of things, or even in a small part thereof.  

Giving the situation further, further thought, there is no point to it at all. To be honest with you - at this very moment - I’ve not a clue what this post is going to be about.

Good luck to me, then! I ’m flying by the seat of my trackie dacks!  I might still be here this time next week – or the week after - trying to come up with something about which to write. 

While still in my trackies, from out of nowhere, a thought stopped me in my tracks.  It just flickered through my mind proving life and light does exist in the unfathomable, muddled faculty, after all. 

Said sudden cogitation was - do people still play squash these days? 

I remember when squash was the latest craze to hit the populace – when it all started. 

Well, not quite “when it all started”  – that is a slight exaggeration of the facts.  The game was first invented at Harrow School back around 1830.  I know I’m getting older by the day, but, I have to let you into a little secret, 1830 was slightly before my time.  

A resurgence of the game hit like a tsunami in the early Sixties. Squash courts were being erected everywhere.  If you didn’t play squash, you weren’t “with it”.  I guess I was mostly “without it” because the number of times I played the game I could count on one hand.  (I’m not missing any fingers).  

With me, squash never became an addiction like it did with thousands of others.  Some sports’ fanatics couldn’t get enough of the game. 

Squash sure gave one a good work-out, though.  Following a hard fought battle on the squash court, my muscles complained for days afterwards.  Muscles I never knew existed made their presence known.  They weren’t backward in letting me know they weren’t happy, particularly those previously unknown ones in my butt aka bum.  I was not aware I had muscles that particular part of my anatomy until I played squash; or to be more precise, until after a game of squash.  The agony usually made its presence known a day or two later.   

These days hobbling around like the old crony I am, but with my butt still intact, there is no point trying to hide or deny the fact – walking stick in hand - I’d be even more useless at the game.  My present-day interpretation would be a slow-motion version of squash; a 2018 variation of the game.

I could try belting the ball with my walking stick rather than a racquet, and then it would turn into something like – say - indoor golf.    Firstly, I’d have to advise all within close, and not so close proximity, to duck for cover.  

The Mad Woman of Chaillot has nothing on me when I let loose!

These days the only racket in my box of tricks is utilised when I sing in the shower, or along to my car radio as I drive to and from my local supermarket, post office etc.    

Background sounds are necessary to muffle my strangled, off-tune squawking. When they hear me sounding like a squashed galah, even the crows, feathers ruffled, hit the skyway over the valleys below.

My word! Contrary to where I declared I had no idea what I was going to write about it’s become conspicuously apparent I managed to squash in a few words, after all.   

With no concern for my feelings, words rudely muscled their way in. I had no say in the matter.

Sage-Butternut Squash: Preheat oven, 190C. Line baking tray with foil. Toss together in bowl, 4-5c cubed butternut squash, 1/2c chopped shallots, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 3/4c pumpkin seeds, 1/4c chopped fresh sage, 2tbs x-virgin olive oil, 2tsp salt, 2tsp paprika and cracked black pepper. Pour onto tray in one layer, leaving room to brown. If too squashed, use second baking tray. Bake 40-45mins.

Mediterranean Quinoa-Stuffed Squash: Preheat oven, 200C. Halve 1 butternut squash/pumpkin; arrange the halves on baking tray; sprinkle with salt and a few drops of olive oil. Cook in oven, 30-35mins. Add a splash of olive oil to a pan; heat to med- temp. Add ½ zucchini, cubed; cook 3-4mins, covered; add 1/2tbs dried oregano, 1 chopped tomato, a handful pitted black olives and 2/3c quinoa to pan. Add 1c hot water; season. Cook 10-15mins until water has evaporated and quinoa is cooked. (Add some drained chickpeas, if desired).  Turn off heat; add 100g cubed Feta. Scoop out the seeds from squash and some flesh. Distribute quinoa mix evenly between the halves.  Sprinkle grated Parmesan on top; bake another 10mins.

Mussels-Butternut Squash Bisque: Heat 2tbs butter in pot med-heat. Add 1/4c chopped leeks, 2 minced garlic cloves and1/4c chopped onions. Stirring constantly, heat vegies until soft and fragrant, 3-4mins. Add 3/4c chopped carrots and 4c peeled, chopped butternut squash. Cook 3-5 mins, until they just start to soften. Pour 3c chick stock, salt and pepper over vegies. Cover; reduce heat to low. Simmer 20-25mins, or until vegies are very tender. Remove from heat; blend in batches until smooth and creamy. Whisk in 1/2c cream. Rinse 1-1/2kg mussels in shell under cold water; scrub lightly to remove dirt and excess film from outside of shells. Remove mussel beards. In pot, heat 1tbs butter over med-high heat. Add 2 shallot stalks, chopped, 4 minced garlic cloves and 1 chopped leek. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring frequently, until vegies are soft. Add mussels; toss with tongs. Add 1/2c dry white wine and 1/2c chick stock. Cover; let steam 1 min, or until mussels start to open. Stir so the vegetables don’t stick to the bottom and the mussels are on contact with the heat. To serve, ladle soup into 4 large bowls. Top with a hefty spoonful of mussels; drizzle with remaining melted butter from the mussels. Garnish with fresh herbs.

Crispy Duck and Squash Salad: Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Wash 1x2kg duck; pat it dry, inside and out, with kitchen paper, then rub it all over, inside as well, with salt and pepper. Place it in a tray; roast for around 2hrs, turning it every now and then. Halfway through, drain away a lot of the fat from the duck; don't throw the duck fat away. Sieve it and keep the fat (but no meat juices) in a jar in the fridge for a couple of months and use it to roast potatoes

In a pestle and mortar, bash up 1-2 dried red chillies and 1tsp coriander seeds; add 1/2tsp cinnamon and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Scoop the seeds out of 1 large Butternut pumpkin/squash; put them to one side. Cut pumpkin/squash into wedges; place them in roasting tray, drizzle over enough olive oil just to coat. Sprinkle over the ground spices; toss well, spreading the pieces out in one layer. Once the duck has been in the oven for 1-1/4hrs, add the tray of squash to the oven; roast for about 45mins. Meanwhile, rinse the pumpkin/squash seeds after removing any fibres. Season with salt and pepper; drizzle with olive oil. Toast in a dry frying pan until they’re golden and crisp; put aside. To make the dressing;-  put juice of 1-2 limes and zest into a bowl; add the same amount of x-virgin olive oil, plus 1tsp sesame oil and 1tbs soy sauce. Stir in 1tsp brown sugar, 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, 1 finely grated garlic clove, green parts of 5 spring onions, finely chopped, (finely slice the white part of the spring onions and set aside), and large bunch of fresh coriander stalks, finely chopped.   Reserve the leaves; set aside.  Taste and adjust the sweet-and-sourness and the seasoning. It needs to be a little limey, to contrast with the rich duck

After 2 hours, if the duck is nice and crispy, and the squash soft and sticky, take both trays out of the oven. If they need more time, leave them in until perfectly done. Using two forks, shred the duck meat off the bone; put meat into a large bowl. While duck and squash are still warm, toss with the toasted seeds, half the coriander leaves, leaves from half a small bunch of fresh mint and half the white spring onion slices. Pour on dressing; toss together. Serve sprinkled with the rest of the coriander, mint and white spring onion slices



34 comments:

  1. The game of Squash and I had a fleeting acquaintance while I was at school. We never became close.
    Pumpkin and I on the other hand... I adore it. My father didn't like it and it was never served at home but it is most certainly on the menu here. Despite the fact that I am the only one in the household who eats it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pumpkin, too, EC. The Jap pumpkin, in particular, is a regular with me...and I never peel them. I love it roasted, skin on. I love mashed pumpkin, too....and again, I don't peel it. The only vegetables I peel, in fact, are onions....all others...skin left on as far as I'm concerned.

      "Fleeting acquaintance" is an excellent description. It describes my relationship with the game to a "T"!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I have only a vague idea of this popular ball sport and its rules. I only know it requires skill, speed and fitness which I, sadly, do not have.
    Your squash dishes sound delicious and arouse my appetite while reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, DUTA....It is a fast game...not for the unfit or faint of heart. I am not faint of heart, but as for the fitness side of things these days...well, that's another story! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. That i know, squash never really caught on here. The latest craze now is pickleball, we have a group playing at church every Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...Personally, I've never head of pickleball...not that I can recall, anyway. All my sport is played these days by watching whatever it is on television! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:30 PM

    I used to occasionally play squash and it certainly did give the muscles a workout. I was young and fit then. But really, I don't think squash is terribly good for the joints, in the way of how so many young female netball? players are injured, usually their knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew. I think footballers, particularly League players, will suffer the consequences of their rugged sport in their older years. I don't know how their bodies cope with the power of the sport...the rough and tumble. It's a war going on there out in the ovals!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. When singing in the car or in your shower, I guess your "go to" song is always "I Come from A Land Down Under" by Men at Work:-
    Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
    You better run, you better take cover

    Please don't squash my suggestion Lee. To drink I would like some orange squash please. To eat - some roasted squash. Thank you. By the way it's a bit of a squash in this phone box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not likely, Yorkie. Consider squashed, Yorkie!

      Lay off all the squash and you might fit into the phone box without having to squash!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. If you would depart from the phone box it would feel a lot less squashy. By the way, I like your perfume...Ouch! Why did you do that you *****!

      Delete
    3. That wasn't me there in the phone box with you, Yorkie! Silly man! It was Superman!!!!

      Delete
  6. I have been athletically challenged my whole life. If a ball or any object comes at me, I duck. I can’t blame age as coordination has never been an asset I have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...not everyone is into sports. There were others far more athletic than I was. I played some sports, including swimming and surfing. The latter two were uppermost of my list of activities.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. if only I could find some duck, and squash (the sport that is) don't even know about it, but do appreciate the recipes which look so divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Linda....It surprises me that you've not heard of squash, the sport.

      I'm glad you like the look of the recipes...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I love squash the veggie not the game. I have become addicted to thinly sliced zucchini and yellow squash mixed with thinly sliced Banana pepper, English cucumber and add some chopped red oinion. To this grand mixture I marinate it with Kraft Italian Roasted Red Pepper dressing. Yummy. It makes for a great dish on this hot side of the planet. Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a tasty salad to have when our summer down this way arrives, Lady Di. It's drawing nigh...the first day of spring is on Saturday. Wishful hoping, I know, but I hope our summer this time around isn't too hot!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Funny you should picture squash, and butternut squash in particular, because I just checked on my butternut squash growing in the garden. Lots of vines and leaves but only one good-sized squash that has yet to ripen. I just hope we can eat it before it spoils, gets eaten by insects or critters, or otherwise goes bad.

    Never played squash the game but I've been curious about pickleball lately. Seems it's popular among seniors here. Ever hear of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dave. No, until messymimi mentioned pickleball in her response above, I had never heard of it. I don't think the rage has hit here, yet. If and when it does I sure won't be partaking! lol

      I hope you get to eat your butternut squash before anything else gets to it. Perhaps cover it with some netting or similar until it's near ripe. It will ripen further off the vine.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. As I only have one usable eye I can't play any game that has a fast-moving ball. However I find that butternut squashes are less of a problem. Shuttlecock or squashball soup just doesn't sound right and heaven knows what it would taste like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shuttlecock soup would taste a bit feathery, I think, Graham. Squash ball soup, perhaps would be a bit rubbery, and unless put through a mincer or blender, would be a bit difficult to swallow! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Love this squash post - sport and food. And a new term to me, "trackie dacks." :) Yes - we have pickleball here (reading comment above) - I've never been quite sure what that is, but the mountain community I visit has a pickleball court.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lynn. "Trackie dacks"...is a pretty common term down here in the Land of Oz. :)

      Good to see you...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Not much singing from me these days we either. I am a certain age in america, might as well be invisible. Squash recipes look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Kay. I don't mind being invisible...I quite like it actually...I fly low beneath the radar, purposely. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. I did try playing squash but wasn't very good at it!
    I preferred badminton or tennis - for some reason I was better at tennis and still enjoy watching it today :)

    I think those squash recipes are great.

    Enjoy the upcoming weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan. I wasn't the best squash player, either. I do love watching the tennis...and become an addict during the major tournaments when they're shown on TV.

      Thanks for coming by....you, too, have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  14. Squash all squash:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now! Now! Calm down, Annie!! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. Many -many years ago I was introduced to tennis, I never became proficient. I recall after the first session of about an hour i was so hot. This was in Singapore, I went to lift a pint of tiger beer with my right hand and discovered it had lost all power. It took some hours to recover.Later I played tournament Badminton . Occasionaly at the Singapore Badminton club. but even then I was never frightfully proficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Vest..I used to play tennis...not regularly...and not well! But I do love the game and enjoy watching the Majors via TV.

      When we were kids we played badminton...and shuttlecock, but since then I've not done so...gave up ping-pong, too! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  16. Now, that's useful - I was just looking for a Butternut squash recipe! :) supper is sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of assistance, Jenny! :)

      Delete