Saturday, October 27, 2018

TO COIN A PHRASE...IT COULD BE COSTLY...OR ILLEGAL


Tin Can Bay









Champagne isn’t produced in Australia.  

Referring to our Aussie bubbly or sparkling wine as “Champagne” is an erreur.   However, if we insist on the name calling (as we do), doing so doesn’t mean we’re a snob - just a stirrer. 

Our plebeian habit does upset the pedantic French, though.  To be fair, in their defence, it is their right (legal right) to feel a little put-out, and give us a spray.   With years of practice, we’ve become pretty adept at ducking....it it runs off our backs easily.

Of course, we all know...or should know....Champagne is produced within the province of Champagne in the north-eastern part of France. 

If we Aussies produced a special wine at Tin Can Bay we’d call it “Tin Can Bay”, and be protective of its name, wouldn’t we?  Of course we would!

The French aren’t the only ones defensive of their wine names, ma chérie amour.  
. 
The Portuguese also believe they have the right to acordar com os pés de fora (wake up in a bad mood/be grumpy), or be estar com o azeites (be angry) if we call port, “port”.  The folk of Portugal think ter muita lata (we have a lot of nerve) to do so.

What are we supposed to call it – “suitcase”? 

As for sherry, the Spanish, if they grabbed a hold, would probably toss us into a bull ring or into the streets of Pamplona ahead of the Running of the Bulls if they caught us referring to sherry as “sherry”.  Again, to we Aussies it’s como el que oye llover (It’s like water off a duck’s back) – sherry it shall remain.  

I’m whining, I suppose, but the Europeans get pretty toey about our irreverence. 
The Italians jumped on the wine wagon, just to prove the point, I think.  For reasons known only to them they decided to change the name of the Prosecco grape to “Glera”. 

That’s la goccia che ha fatto traboccare il vaso (the straw that broke the camel’s back)!
  
Porca miseria  (Damn it!)  It’s impossible to keep up!  I need a drink!

Deleted from our Aussie vocabulary, or supposed to be, are the following: - Burgundy, Chablis, Graves, Manzanilla, Marsala, Moselle, Sauterne, White Burgundy, to name a few.  Amontillado – no, it’s not an armoured anteater - is on the banned list, too. 

Since when have we been known to do as we are told?  

Tokay is still okay...for another few years, anyway. 

Are people still popping their corks hosting Champagne Breakfasts these days?

Inviting friends over for a Champagne Breakfast was a popular way to waste a day back in the 70s and early 80s.  Such en vogue les rassemblements (in vogue gatherings) were barrels of fun.

Importantly, one had to ensure there was enough food hidden in the fridge to cover lunch because some folk never knew when to leave.  There were some guests who were welcome to linger longer; and then, of course, there were some you wish you’d not invited in the first place.  

“Bubbly Breakfast” or “Sparkling Wine Breakfast” doesn’t sound as effervescent, frivolous or inviting as “Champagne Breakfast”, to my way of thinking. 

For my breakfast these days I start off with a glass or two of water; then I juice oranges au naturel (the fruit, not me); munch on a bowl of muesli, or chomp on toast heaped high with avocado, followed by a mug of comforting coffee to fill any gaps that may remain. 

Being the boring old whatsit I’ve become, there’s not a glass of Champagne or bubbly within easy reach or sight.  

The three bottles of Champers I’d had hidden in my fridge I gave away to a good friend a few weeks ago.  Someone may as well get some good use out of them!   I can always buy another bottle or two, if or when I get the urge.  I never seem to get the urge these days.  

What is the world coming to?   C'est la vie...

 But then...Melbourne Cup Day is rapidly approaching...who knows?

Mandarin Cinnamon French Toast: Combine 300ml cream, 1tbs icing sugar and 1/4tsp ground cardamom; whisk until thickened slightly. Cover; chill.  Place 2c champagne, 1/2c sugar, 2 green cardamom pods, 1 cinnamon stick and 1 lightly crush star anise in saucepan over low to med-heat; stir until sugar melts. Increase heat to high; bring to boil. Add 6 peeled, quartered and halved crossways mandarins; cook. 2-3mins; take off heat; set aside. Cool 10mins before moving mandarins; place on tray. Place poaching liquid back on heat; bring to boil; reduce heat; simmer 10mins or until thickened.  Whisk together 3 eggs, 1/4c milk, vanilla, 1/3c caster sugar, 1/4c cream, tsp cinnamon and 1tsp lemon zest. Heat pan over med-heat, melt 20g butter until it begins to bubble. Dip 8 thick slices of fruit bread into the egg mixture; place on pan to cook. Cook in batches, 2mins each side or until golden. Divide the cinnamon between 4 plates with the poached mandarins.  Pour over the syrup; top with cardamom cream.

Crabby Benedict: Cut English muffin in half; toast each half.  Poach 2 eggs, 3-5mins. When cooked, place on paper towels to remove excess water.  Make yoghurt sauce – 1/2c yoghurt, 2tbs Dijon mustard, 2tsp lemon juice; season to taste. On one half of muffin, layer slices of avocado, cooked crab meat; repeat with other muffin half, avocado and crab.  Add a spoonful of yoghurt sauce; top each stack with a poached egg; top with more sauce. Garnish with chopped shallot.

Champagne Cupcakes: Preheat oven 175C; prepare a cupcake pan with liners. Whisk together 1-2/3c plain flour, 1c sugar, 1/4tsp baking soda and 1tsp baking powder.  Add 3/4c room temp butter, 3 egg whites, 1tsp vanilla, 1/2c sour cream and 1/2c plus 2tbs champagne; mix on medium speed just until smooth.  Do not over mix. Fill cupcake liners a little more than half way. Bake 18-20mins.  Cool 1-2mins; then remove to rack to cool. Make frosting: Combine 1/2c butter and 1/2c copha until smooth; add 2c icing sugar; mix until smooth; add 4-5tbs champagne.  Add a little more champagne, if needed, until desired consistency is reach; top cupcakes with frosting. 




31 comments:

  1. People do get up in arms about their proprietary names, don't they?

    That French toast sounds indulgently good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi....Some folk are way to precious to say the least...and it seems to be getting worse by the day!

      Blogger seems to have a mind of its own...changing the font...and no matter what I do...I can't fix it....never mind.

      Thanks for coming by....:)

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of wine, bubbly or otherwise, so I don't even know the names of most of them. To some Aussies, it's all "booze" anyway. Or "plonk", which is a word I haven't heard in years now that I think about it. I think I had a mouthful of champagne at my wedding, maybe I took an extra sip, but then the newly minted husband took over and drained my glass. Several times (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, River...some do and some don't. We all have our individual different likes, dislikes, loves and habits. It doesn't bother me if someone drinks or not.

      I very rarely drink these days, but I'm not against it...If done in moderation it is a pleasant social sharing. I've enjoyed having a few tipples of whatever took my fancy over the years...other than sweet wines. Spirits (Scotch and dark rum), not gin, and a cold, cold lager on a hot day or night were enjoyable, too.

      I'm such a huge soak the only alcoholic drinks I've had so far this year were one Crown Lager and three glass of a very pleasant Rosé back on Australia Day afternoon, 26th January, at the little laneway party here on the lane where I live...with the neighbours.

      Who knows...I might have a glass or two of wine on Melbourne Cup Day, and then on my birthday a few days later...on the other hand, I may not.

      Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  3. I support the French in this - and the other countries who want their hard work and innovations rewarded and not traded on by the 'johnny come lately crowd'. Essentially they are just claiming copyright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC....I was making no judgment or criticism...I see and understand the reasoning. I was just having a bit of fun...among a lot of gloom. :)

      If I use the word "Champagne", I doubt the French will sue me or lock me up.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. When it comes to naming I note that there is a large flightless bird in southern Africa called the austrich. The austrich performs a complex mating ritual consisting of the cock alternating wing beats until he attracts a mate, when they will go to the mating area and he will drive away all intruders. They graze until their behaviour is synchronized, then the feeding becomes secondary and the process takes on a ritualistic appearance. The cock will then excitedly flap alternate wings again, and start poking on the ground with his bill. He will then violently flap his wings to symbolically clear out a nest in the dirt. Then, while the hen runs circle around him with lowered wings, he will wind his head in a spiral motion. She will drop to the ground and he will mount for copulation. That's austriches for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what that has to do with wines and the names thereof, has me baffled, Yorkie.

      Have you been doing some taste-testing? :)

      Delete
    2. No - I am as sober as a judge Lee. There was funny wordplay in your blogpost and that is what sparked my funny wordplay. That's all.

      Delete
    3. I was just teasing you, Yorkie...something you do frequently! :)

      Thanks for coming by...twice. :)

      Delete
  5. You seem to have quite a good knowledge on wines and other alcoholic beverages. At present, I drink mainly non-alcoholic stuff, especially black beer.
    Champagne is and will always be the Queen that honors our great and important life celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, DUTA...For many years I worked within the hospitality industry...in restaurants...in roles of management, waiting tables and as chef/cook...at various times.... and in a couple of holiday resorts - so having knowledge about wines, spirits and beers was imperative.

      I rarely drink these days...I've a bottle of Dimple Haig Scotch whisky here...bottle unopened in the unopened box it came in...I bought it in December 2016....it's aging by the day...just like me! It was a 15 year old Scotch when I purchased it...I was a little older! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. I can drink a few sips of Champagne, but that is all. The fizz goes to my head quickly and I don't feel too well afterwards. I will toast with it, but then put it down for the waiter to take away. I have two bottles of very fine Champagne that were given to me this year. They will be re-gifted to someone who would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...As I wrote below in response to Margaret's comment...I like Champagne...but I'v just not indulged in any for quite some time.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh I don't care to Champagne at all, and do remember Champagne breakfasts but that's not the reason I don't care for it.
    Interesting post about the 'drink's.
    Hope you have been well whilst I've been gone..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Margaret! :)

      I enjoy Champagne...but as I said, I've not had any for a while. One drink I used to make with it every Christmas Day morning was Bellinis...but I've not done that for a while, either. Bellinis are delicious!

      Thanks for coming by...Yes, thanks...I've been fine...and still am, touch wood! :)

      Delete
  8. I believe it was about the eighties when we ceased calling our Sparkling wine Champagne, then I believe it was called champagne type wine. and eventually Simply sparkling. However,I have lost interest in plonk due to health reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vest..."Champagne Style" is what we came to call it, not "type"...or were supposed to call it.

      I've lost interest in plonk and booze, too, not due to health reasons, though. I can't be bothered....I guess if, once in a while, I had an intelligent, good-humoured interesting person to share a couple of tipples with, over interesting, fun conversation it would be different. My two furry mates are fun and interesting, but they are teeotallers...so I go with the flow!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. I am totally blank on anything to do with alcohol. Not even sure I have ever tasted champagne. I do like a margarita once in a while:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie...I love, love, love Margaritas, but I've not had one in a long while. And I always played Jimmy Buffett in the background!! Margaritas became sort of a trademark when I was living and working on the islands...Hinchinbrook and Newry Islands.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. As always, a fun, thought provoking post. And those recipes. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Sandra...Yep! It's just a bit of light-hearted fun...more of which is needed these days, I believe! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Apparently Champagne and Strawberries go well together …

    Avocado is a big winner for me :)

    I just love the mouse in the glass of bubbly, I smile every time I see it … and I've been scrolling up and down your post to see it … more smiles :) :) :)

    Enjoy the rest of your week - hard to believe it's November very very soon!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...strawberries and Champagne do go well together. Place a strawberry in the bottom of the flute...and leave it there until you've had your fill of the Champers...however much that may be....and when you've had your fill of the bubbly...eat the strawberry that has been marinating! Delicious!

      Peach and Champagne is a great combination, too...Bellinis, for instance.

      You took my thoughts from my brain...earlier this morning I was shaking my head over just how fast this year has flown...and it's only seven weeks to Christmas...and 12 hours (our time here) until 1st November!! Scary!!! (And I'm not referring to Halloween!) :)

      I love that little mouse, too Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Ooooo, that crabby benedict sounds wonderful. I'll have to print out that recipe for the missus.

    So Kim Crawford doesn't produce champagne? That's Australian, isn't it? I remember Kim Crawford being featured at a wine and cheese festival we attended. We were on a cruise in Alaska with Australians and they insisted to be served Australian wine if it were available. And it was on this boat.

    I've heard that cheese is similar as certain regions are very upset if their cheese brand is usurped by cheese-makers in another country. Guess the Swiss lost that battle though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hey, Dave...Kim Crawford is NZ....see further info on him and his wines below. And, yes...you are correct re cheese. Some similar rulings apply to various cheeses, too. Coincidentally, only yesterday I was reading an article on the subject!

      Thanks for coming by...enjoy your crabby benedict! :)


      https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/01/kim-crawford-the-man-behind-the-brand

      Delete
  13. Yep, it's called champagne here !! We'll have a few bottles to share around at my Melbourne cup luncheon. I'll be adding orange juice to mine, it's too early in the day (lunch time ) for me. Just makes me want to go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Helsie. I, too, will be enjoying Cup Day...just me and my two furry mates. I'll make the decision on the day what I'll have to sip while doing so...I'll see what I'm in the mood for! It could be champagne...it could be red wine...it could be Scotch....or perhaps some Bundy...or maybe...depending what I feel like on the day...it could just be water...and/or coffee. Decisions! Decisions! :)

      Only this morning I was thinking about champagne and orange juice...Mimosas...It's ages since I've had a Mimosa! I should get my act together!!!

      Thanks for coming by...all the best for The Cup! :)

      Delete
  14. Oh my, I want those Champagne Cupcakes! Sounds heavenly.☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay...they certainly do....I agree! I wouldn't mind a couple right now!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. Best of luck with your selections.
    I'll forward my annual first 4 to you tomorrow........decisions, decisions, eliminations, eliminations! Oh what fun.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete