Thursday, November 01, 2018

THE GOLDEN CHALICE - A HORSE IS A HORSE, OF COURSE, OF COURSE!


Gunsynd..."The Goodniwindi Grey"...and the monument to the championhttps://www.grc.qld.gov.au/gunsynd
Tails with the legendary Harry White on board
Winx

Much excitement has engulfed us of late, not the least being Harry and Meghan’s heart-warming visit.  Their time spent here in the Land Down Under was filled with myriad memorable moments, many of which, simultaneously, caused me tears and smiles.  I’m a sook – always have been – and am not embarrassed to admit it. 

On top of the highlights of the Royal visit it’s also that time of the year again.
 
The Spring Carnival is off and galloping, encompassing the Melbourne Cup Carnival during its course.  Stars of the equine variety are on full display showing their mettle.  Fashions of the Field stars are out and about strutting their stuff, too.  

Winx proved last Saturday, once again, the champion she is.  She became the one and only four times Cox Plate winner...her 29th consecutive win  And yes, I was a nervous-wreck watching the race...with a few tears lubricating my eyes.  The seven year old mare, Winx is now off on a well-earned summer break.

It’s no secret I enjoy the Spring and Melbourne Cup Carnivals.  Unfortunately, I’ve never attended a Melbourne Cup Day – held at Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne.  Such is life!
 
The mighty Australian champion horses Tails and Gunsynd each ran third in the Melbourne Cup...1971 and 1972, respectively.  However, fortunately, I did get to see both champions up close and personal. 

Tails, the deep, chestnut stallion - Brisbane Cup 1972 – Eagle Farm Racecourse, Brisbane - the day the tiny mare Mode, fleet of hoof, sped past Tails as the finished line loomed.   

I’d visited the mighty Tails in the stalls before the race to give him a few pointers. Obviously, he ignored my advice.

To this day, I’m still convinced when Tails noticed the little grey mare at his shoulder, being a stallion of fine breeding, a gentleman of the first degree he gave the mare a nod and a wink. Flicking her tail at him, off Mode scampered, taking the trophy with her.

Tragically, later on, when Mode retired to become a Mum...she died giving birth to her first foal. 

At Brisbane’s Doomben Racecourse, Labour Day, Monday, 7th May, 1973, the racing career of the magnificent, much-loved Gunsynd came to an end when he retired gracefully from the race track. 
  
I was part of the massive crowd who witnessed the special event. To this day it remains the biggest crowd Doomben has ever seen – bigger even than that to see Black Caviar.  Fans gathered in droves to farewell Gunsynd.

For the horse’s retirement lap, Roy Higgins was in the saddle.  On that memorable occasion, I also visited the stalls.  There, I received an extra bonus, not only did I chat with the “Goondiwindi Grey”, I got to stroke his famous nose, as well.  He didn’t reciprocate. 

I’ve a photo here somewhere to prove our meeting.   

Also in the photo is the fellow with whom I chatted as Gunsynd and I conducted our intelligent conversation.  After I had the film developed I discovered the man I’d spoken with was the now late legendary trainer, Tommy J. (T.J.) Smith – Gunsynd’s trainer - father of Gai Waterhouse – trainer extraordinaire in her own right.  There I go...name-dropping, again!   Oh!  The racy circles in which I canter!

Melbourne Cup Day is a national treasure.  Of course, there are some who would disagree, and that’s okay - not everyone sees eye to eye on everything.

But, because some don’t enjoy it, or like it, doesn’t mean I don’t...I do.

I’ve always loved Cup Day - the whole carnival, from giddy-up to whoa, you betcha!

From early morning on the first Tuesday of every November, I watch all the lead-up information on The Cup, the fashions, tips etc., etc.    

These days/years it’s the only race upon which I place a bet...and I always place my bet on Monday...Cup Eve.   There is no way I will go near the TAB on Cup Day.  I like to get it all over and done with before the madding crowd descends.

When my late brother Graham was alive - “late” is a strange description because similar to me, Graham was a stickler for punctuality ....Graham was a keen fan of horse racing, the sport of kings...even though we are not of royal blood, unless, of course, we’re descendants of Robert the Bruce, or Mary Queen of Scots.   (I do have ancestors who bore the name “Stuart”...and Mary Queen of Scots’ King Consort was Henry Stuart, Duke of Albany aka Lord Darnley, his title as heir apparent to the Earldom of Lennox in western Scotland...so one never knows!)....I do digress...gone off course.....

My brother Graham was an aficionado when it came to horse racing.  Ask him a question, any question regarding the lineage of a race horse etc., and nine times out of ten...he had the correct answer...if not 10 out of 10.  He studied their entire history, not just their current form.  He had a bet or two, yes...but he wasn’t an addicted gambler.  
Often Graham rang me during any given week with a tip or two for a Saturday meeting.  Sometimes I’d place a bet on his heads-up, sometimes I wouldn’t.    

Since Graham’s passing 20 years, in June, 1998, I’ve only bet on the Melbourne Cup...no others.   However, I do watch all the races throughout the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

I’m not one who enjoys attending busy Cup luncheons, though, anti-social being that I am...to each his/her own.  I can’t stand the noisy crowds...everyone talking over everyone else – more interested in hearing their own voice rather than watch and listen to the race...and three-quarters of those in attendance wouldn’t know one end of a horse from the other!  

Over the years, when working within the hospitality industry, I catered for enough Melbourne Cup luncheons to last me a lifetime.  I prefer to watch Cup Day here in my own humble little abode, with only my two furry roomies as company.  They don’t talk and scream during the races.

However, they do hog my race guide, and eye off my antipasto platter!   I don't mind, though...what's mine...is theirs.   It's share and share a like in this household!

Bruschetta Wonton Cups: Press wonton wrappers into each hole of 12-cup muffin tin. Spray with cooking oil; bake in 170C oven, 10-12mins.  Remove seeds from 4 large tomatoes; chop; add 6 finely chopped basil leaves and ½ red onion, finely chopped; season. Place heaped spoonfuls into wonton cups; drizzle over a little balsamic glaze; put crumbled feta cheese on top.

Asparagus-Mushroom Cups: Preheat oven 180C.Combine 1-1/2c milk, 6 black peppercorns and 1 shallot roughly sliced; bring to boil; let stand 5mins. In med-saucepan, melt 30g butter; add 2 finely sliced onions; cook until translucent; add 175g sliced mushrooms; cook until soft. Remove mixture; set aside. In same saucepan, over med-heat, melt 60g butter until foaming; add 1/4c plain flour; stir until smooth; gradually add strained milk; boil and thicken; add 1c tasty cheese; stir until melted. Add 1/4c sour cream, 340g drained asparagus, cut into 2cm pieces and mushrooms; season.  Flatten with rolling pin, 18 slices of crust-less white bread. Lightly grease 2 muffin tins.  Place bread into tins; place in oven a couple of minutes to toast base lightly; remove from oven; fill each bread cup with filling; cook in oven 15-20mins.
 
Beef Cups: Place 250g beef, cut into 1-cm cubes in bowl; season; add 1tsp dried oregano. Heat 2tsp oil in pan; cook beef 4-5mins, until brown; add 1 small red onion, finely chopped, 25g chopped bacon and chopped garlic clove; cook 2-3mins. Add 2tsp sun-dried tomato paste, 150ml red wine or quality beef stock, 227g canned chopped tomatoes and 20g black or green olives, chopped. Simmer in pot, 1-1/2-2hrs.  Brush 200g thawed filo pastry sheets with melted butter.  Cut filo into 60x6cm squares.  Lightly grease 2 mini muffin tins; line cups with three buttered filo squares, placing each one at a slightly different angle; gently press down. Bake in 180C oven 8-10mins. Cool; gently remove filo cups to cooling rack. Spoon 2tsp of filling into each cup; garnish. 

30 comments:

  1. Enjoy watching the Cup. Not for me. Your Bruschetta and asparagus cups look good though. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all individuals...as I said, EC....some like The Cup and some don't. That's how life is. We all have our own varied particular likes and dislikes...I can only speak for me...and describe what I like and enjoy. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely account of the horses.
    Probably will watch the Cup and it's going on's..
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Margaret...I definitely will be watching the races...The Cup, included. I'm just hoping the tree-lopper won't be here lopping the tree just outside my cabin. My landlord is organising someone to come and do the job...I'm hoping it's not next week...it's going to be a big job....and I know I will be losing power while the job is being done!!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't follow the races to the extent some people do, my dad used bet at the racetrack a lot until bookie shops opened and then he went to the TAB a lot. In summer, my brother and I would go to the night time trotting races with him but we didn't care to watch the horse and cart races, we hunted the ground for dropped money or tickets and occasionally came home with more cash than dad.
    I used to place a bet on the Melbourne Cup, usually as part of the factory "sweep" but sometimes on my own. I won several years in a row, then my luck came to an end. I haven't placed any bets for years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...touch wood...and I hope my luck or good picking continues, but I've been fortunate with my Cup bets over the past number of years. I've probably jinxed myself now! lol

      When I was living and working in Brisbane many moons ago...friends and I often went to the races on Tattersall's Day race meetings. My boss was a member of the Tattersall's Club and we always watched the races from the members stand. It was always a fun afternoon out.

      On Melbourne Cup Day when working at the firm...it was always my responsibility to organise the Sweep, and the staff party. From around 12.30 pm....our staff party began, held in one of our showrooms. It was always a fun day.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:11 AM

    It is a few years since I went into Flinders Street Station to take pretty hat photos and pretty hats in the tram to the station. I am not working this Melbourne Cup day, so I might take some photos. I would rate the Australian Open as the premier sporting event in Melbourne, followed by the Melbourne Cup and then the AFL grand final.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Andrew...welcome back! I'll pop over to your blog shortly...when I get a few spare moments. :)

      As I said I really enjoy The Cup and this time of the year with the racing carnivals. I also enjoy the Aus Open and the tournaments leading up thereto...but I'm not much of an AFL fan. As in everything...each to their own.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Like you, I loved seeing the photos of Harry and Meghan in Australia. I think they are both great!
    Horse racing? I know nothing about it, except I know very well the song that you reference in your title post! (I AM MR. ED!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay...Harry and Meghan are a breath of fresh air. I think they're both great, too.

      It's only this time of the year that I follow the horses...the Spring and Melbourne Cup Carnivals are colourful...and fun.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Busy spring at your end of the world. Such a contrast to our quieting of fall. I like to watch horses run, but like many in the crowd I know very little about the sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Spring is almost over down this way, Tabor...I don't where the months have flown to this year....too quick!

      The thoroughbreds are wonderful...I love watching them in the mounting and marshalling areas, too. Beautiful creatures.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Horse racing used to be a big sport here, but it seems to have gone out of favor. The three tracts that used to be in our state have been closed and shopping centers or housing have replaced them. There are three horse farms around me (one, almost next door to me) that have been put up for sale in the past few years because people are not riding anymore. I hate to see them go as they add so much to the scenery.

    We faithfully watch our Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont every year though. They still are a big deal and something to enjoy. We raise our voices and cups to this beautiful old sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Arleen...Yes...our Melbourne Cup and other big race events are similar to your Kentucky Derby etc. Tbey're are exciting to watch...for some maybe not...but I can only speak for myself. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Watching a horse run, which they love to do, is a joyful thing. These sound like race-winning recipes for certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...horses are such intelligent animals. I love them...and I love watching them in action...Our Winx certainly enjoys the attention from her fans! She knows what it's all about!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, lady. So happy that the races make your heart race! Nice! Have you ever ridden? I just think you ought to attend race day....at least once! Now, do your little companions wear fascinators on race day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peace Thyme...I've attended race days many times, but just not the Melbourne Cup...and I won't be doing so...not now. I prefer to watch it from the comfort of home.

      I'm not one for being part of the madding crowds...On top of that, Melbourne is an 18 hour or more drive (1,741.5 km or 1082 miles)from here where I live. I don't have to hobble that far to my TV! :)

      Remy and Shama would surely be fascinated if I tried to put fascinators on them. Shama might be more accepting, but her brother, Remy, probably would demand a top hat! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Melbourne Cup Day is special isn't it? normally I hate horse racing as so many die or are injured but the cup is one race I watch. I'm hosting lunch with Mahjong beginning at 9:15 then lunch,watching the fashions and the cup. Should be a good day 'cos we'll have the aircon pumping away !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Helsie...Yes, Cup Day is a fun day...It's as Aussie as Vegemite, kookaburras and kangaroos.

      Thanks for coming by. I hope you have a lucky, happy Cup Day. Have a great lunch. :)

      Delete
  11. It seems like you have taken up the mantle for Graham as an aficionado when it comes to horse racing:-) Wow, you have lots of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Annie...I'm a trivia freak...all the knowledge I have is probably trivial! :)

      Thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  12. oh those appetizers look so inviting and sound so delicious; only thing about horses I know is playing being a horse when I was a young girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...Yes...brooms and rakes came in handy when we were kids playing cowboys and indians! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. When I lived Down Under the Melbourne Cup was always a big event and everyone had a flutter. I was born in Liverpool, the home of Aintree and the Grand National. However I have absolutely no interest in horse racing nor in betting. The family always talk about the one day when everyone in the family placed a bet. My maternal uncle was Eric Spencer Body - ESB. There was a horse called ESB running in The Grand National in 1956. Everyone bet. ESB won with starting odds of 100/7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Graham...The Melbourne Cup is a big event down this way. As I wrote above I enjoy the Spring and Melbourne Cup Carnivals, other than that I rarely watch the races....other than when our mighty mare Wimx runs. She is a history-making horse and I love watching her races, as do millions of others. As for betting...again...the only race I have a bet on is the Melbourne Cup...just part of the tradition, I guess. I don't go crazy...just a little flutter for the fun of it. My pleasures a simple...and cost little.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. Those horses are so beautiful! As is the food:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are beautiful creatures, Sandra. I've always loved horses. (And food)!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. I've really enjoyed watching Meghan and Harrys tour on UK TV, they seem so happy together :)

    I always think the horses look great, but I don't watch a lot of horse racing.

    Loved your recipe selection, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...I binged watched Harry and Meghan's visit Down Under...they were great. :)

      I don't watch a lot of horse races...juts the major ones that I like. I'm not a regular watcher every weekend.

      Thanks for coming by :)

      Delete