Saturday, November 24, 2018

D’OH! STUPIDLY, I’D HAD THE AUDACITY TO THINK I WAS SMART!



A couple of weeks ago I “celebrated” my birthday.    It’s taken me all these years - of which there are many – to come to the realisation I’m not as clever as I thought I was! 

Damn!  I’d been living in a fool’s paradise. Did I come crashing down to earth with an almighty thud?  The answer is a resounding, “Yes!” 

Not literally did I hit the ground, but it felt like I did, and, even if figuratively,  I was humiliated nonetheless. Clever I may not be, but I do have a vivid, wild imagination.

The actual factual padding on my butt protected me from an ungraceful, painful, phantom landing.

A friend of long-standing sent me a birthday card.  Enclosed therein was a Scratch-It. 

Throughout the years that have passed by since we first met in 1965 the exchange of cards is a practice she and I have conducted betwixt each other in recognition of our respective births...the inclusion of the Scratch-Its came into play when they came into play, whenever that was.  I’m a bit scratchy about the time of their arrival on the scene.

My friend, Shirley, is the widow of my boss from my days -14 years in total- employed by The Kolotex Group of Company.  For those years I’d been John’s (who was the Queensland manager of said Company) secretary, “2IC”, Office Manager, State Sales Coordinator and Credit Manager. My duties were varied...and interesting!

Shirley and I met shortly after I began working in the Queensland office. At the time of our first meeting, she was heavily-pregnant with their soon to be first-born son.   A second son followed a couple of years later.   I played a big role in the lives of the two boys.   I was akin to being a very childish older sister to them...or a very childish aunt.  The eldest son ended up being a member of my staff, for a few months, when I was managing the resort on Hinchinbrook Island.
  
Previously, a few times, I’ve written the above subject matter.  I’ve many fond, happy and interesting memories; not just work-involved, but the friendships formed.

Now back to my dilemma of the other day....

“Scratch-It” is a perfect name for the pesky things...because I scratched my head for hours trying to solve the problem set by the one I received included in my birthday card.  I felt like a goat trying to work out how to go about solving the problem at hand! 

I seriously considered reaching out to ASIO and/or the CIA for their top code breakers to crack the code! 

Golden Casket, Tatts or whomever is responsible for said Scratch-Its must be making a fortune from the annoying pieces of cardboard.  If the rest are similar to the one I had, no prizes would ever be handed out!   

Surely I can’t be the only person who takes forever to make sense of them – or, at least, some particular perplexing teasers...like the one over which I was ruminating!   

Other folk must be like me...unable to solve some of the confounded enigmas – especially the tormentor I was gifted, anyway.  

Or, is it just me?  It very well could be...I suppose...

The $5.00 “Code Breaker” Scratch-It...that’s its name...”Code Breaker”...had me confused; completely beaten. “Breaker”! I was broken!

In surrender, I threw my hands and arms, with body still attached, up in the air.   

Manically, I waved a white flag. I also yanked out my hair during the process.  A number of choice, descriptive adjectives (read “expletives”) were uttered in pure, unadulterated frustration, too. 

The particular Scratch-It – the subject of my ranting - deserves to be scratched!  It’s the most convoluted, complicated, complex, labyrinthine, tortuous puzzle I’ve had the misfortune to encounter.

Amidst my hysteria as I battled tooth and nail to solve the problem before me I thought I might need to seek professional help – to solve the puzzle – (I probably do need professional help of another type, but that is a different matter entirely)!   

Agitated and in a state of high anxiety, refraining from destroying the Scratch-It, I managed to control my frenzied mood.  I put the annoying mystifier, and my frayed nerves aside, with the intention of tackling the baffling problem, fresh of mind, the following day. That is what I did. 

After all the wasted energy and mental turmoil expended...the tossing and turning throughout the night...in the end...to add insult to injury...there was no resultant fortune to be collected!

Having eventually figured the muddle out, I discovered I’d won nothing - not a penny; not cent, nor a dollar....zilch!

I’d escaped a nervous breakdown by the enamel of my teeth!

Shirley and I did gain a good, hearty laugh about my tumultuous few hours when I described to her my Scratch-It frenzy during a phone conversation we shared.  

Just wait until her next birthday comes around...in July!!!  Payback can be lots of fun sometimes!!

Goat Cheese Poppers: Combine 1/3c plain flour and 1/2tsp freshly ground black pepper. Whisk together 1 large egg, 1/4tsp salt, and 2tbls water in a bowl. Combine 2/3rd cup panko breadcrumbs and 1/2tsp salt in another bowl. Roll 375g goat cheese into 24 balls. Roll balls in the flour; dip in egg; dredge in panko; freeze 20mins, or until firm. Fry, in batches, in hot oil over med-high heat, 1-2mins or until golden and crisp on all sides. Remove with slotted spoon; place on paper towels to drain. Arrange poppers on platter, drizzle with a little honey; sprinkle with finely chopped chives and a sprinkling of dried chilli.

Goat Cheese-Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms: Remove meat filling from 300g Italian sausages. Crumble in hands to break up the pieces; place in pan over high heat until fully cooked.  Place cooked meat in bowl with 300g goat cheese, 1tbs dried rosemary, 1c chopped parsley and 1tsp red pepper flakes; add the warm meat; mix together; season to taste.  Remove stems from15 medium button mushrooms; lightly season with salt, pepper and garlic powder; stuff with cheese mix.  Sprinkle over some grated Parmesan; place on baking sheet; bake at 200C, approx 20mins. Set grill; cook mushroom tops until golden.  Chop mild pickled capsicums/peppers; place in small pan with 3tbs balsamic over med-heat; simmer until vinegar has mostly evaporated; top mushrooms with pickled peppers; serve.

Goat Cheese Dip: Spray small baking dish.  Combine 1tbs olive oil, 1c ricotta, 240g goat cheese. 3/4c crumbled fetta, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4tsp salt, 1tsp lemon juice and 1/4c chopped fresh basil; stir in 120g cherry tomatoes (red & yellow); pour mixture into baking dish; top with another 120g cherry tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, 30-40mins, until slightly brown and bubbly. Serve with toasted bread or crackers.  



32 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday.
    It is years since a Scratch-it has come my way - for which I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC.....You won't be and haven't been scratching your head, then! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. The instructions for the scratch it games are always on the back of the card. I would assume you scratch off the symbols on the "Your codes" panel then scratch of whatever numbers match the ones that come up in the "your codes" panel. or something very similar, then if you match the right amount of symbols/numbers you win something. I've seen people at the local pharmacy here buying scratch-its by the dozen. I get one, occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...yes, the instructions are always on the back of the card etc., etc., etc. Through the years when presented with a Scratch-It, whether as a gift, or purchased by me for me, I've managed to work them out without difficulty...and even managed to win once in a while.

      This particular game,"Code Breaker", at first glance, and when one's mind is not in the right "working our puzzle" frame, and is on other matters...it was a little confusing at first glance.

      My post is meant to be humorous...not to be taken too seriously. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday..
    Have had a scratchy a time or two given to me - they are sometimes a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Margaret....steer clear of "Code Breaker"! lol

      Thanks...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:49 PM

    The usual emotions with a scratchy are excitement and disappointment. You have added anger, frustration and a heap more emotions. Friends can be very cruel at times and I am sure you know revenge is best served cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend serving mine up on cardboard, Andrew..about the same size as the "Code Breaker" Scratch-It....hopefully, along with as many laughs as Shirley and I enjoyed over the one she gave me. I've still got the dastardly difficult one here...all scratched out....I might frame it. I've not got it in my heart to throw it away! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. happy birthday, I have no idea what the code breakers is for your scratch offs; I have only won the lotto once the first time I played eons ago in california and I won $52, ever since then I have lots; during a certain war maybe wwI or ww II native americans were used as code senders because no one knew their language, they were also code breakers as well. I love goat cheese must try a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Linda - thanks....There are a variety of different games available in Scratch-Its tickets. And the tickets start at $1.00 each upward to $20.00 a ticket/game. Everyone scratching around like chickens in the chicken pen. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. I don't know what a scratch er is and that is a good thing. Can't afford to have anything else confuse me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Scratch-It", Annie...just another way to waste one's money in the hope of winning some money! :) You have to match up a numbers or images, and if you get a match or matches...you win something from the winning pot!

      Thanks for coming by....I, too, have enough confusing me these days without adding more to it! lol

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of the scratch it type of game you describe, but then I wouldn't be able to figure it out anyway so that's just as well! Did you tell us that you at a fall at the first of this post? Be careful! Hugs to you.☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay...No...I haven't had a fall...touch wood! I was speaking metaphorically...referring to my coming to the realisation I'm not as smart as I thought I was! Coming down to earth in the realisation! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. After all that aggravation, you didn’t win anything. Bummer! However, you still have a good friend who remembers your birthday every year. Winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Arleen....Ahhh...it was a bit of fun. And it gave Shirley and me a good laugh.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Wishing you many happy returns of the day and a much better ticket next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, messymimi....you've got to be in it to win it, as the saying goes! All in the name of good fun..and sometimes, good fortune! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Many Happy Returns of the Day!
    I've recently 'discovered ' goat youghort. I like it a lot. After reading your recipes I'm going to look for goat cheese. I'm sure I'll like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...thanks! I spent my birthday, which was on 11th November (Armistice Day also known as Remembrance Day) very quietly...other than answering quite a few phone calls from friends....just me and my two furry mates. :)

      I'm sure you will enjoy goat cheese...it's readily available here...and I'm sure it is where you are, too. Have fun with it...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Cripes is that it at the top? I think I would ask my friends to get me something really simple if that was the alternative. Like a book of stamps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny...Yes, that is it at the top...and only half of it! lol

      Thanks for coming by...it's good to see you. :)

      Delete
  12. Sending lots of belated birthday wishes your way :)

    Isn't goat cheese wonderful :)
    Love the sound of the Goat Cheese-Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, and the Goat Cheese Dip … definitely Yum!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I had a very quiet birthday...by choice. No fanfare, bells, streamers or whistles....just some purring and miaows from my two furry mates! :)

      Yes...goat cheese is terrific. Actually....I love all cheese, and am never without a variety of it in my fridge.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. Lee Those scratches are easy to understand , all you have to do is er let me think er damm it I have forgotten but I am sure it is easy but I just can't recall how - lets see I am sure all you have to do is scratch something somewhere but I simply can't recall how. I would send for instruction from the provider if I was you, Have fun. HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vest. :)

      The bloody "Code Breaker" is a puzzle that caused me to scratch my head. Others are okay and are easy to scratch as an itch but the "Code Breaker' needs to be scratched! lol

      Get yourself one, and you will see what I mean, smarty pants! lol

      Thanks for coming by, Scr....I mean Vest. :)

      Delete
  14. After I'd stopped laughing it wasn't until the last comment that I remembered that it had been your birthday. I hope that the year aheas is bot happy and healthy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Graham....I'm glad you got a good laugh out of this...that was my desire in the writing thereof.

      Shirley had a good laugh, too...so the damn thing was worth it! lol

      Thanks for your good wishes...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. I have no idea what a "Scratch It" is. But if my armpit or another area of my manly body is itchy then I do not hesitate to scratch it - even in polite company which, perhaps thankfully, is a situation I hardly ever find myself in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here you are, Yorkie - for your information...the below sites should explain Scratch-Its aka Scratchies and other names, as well as being called "Scratchcards" in the UK. They originated in the States.

    I find it strange you've never heard of them, or seen them. I don't find it strange, though, that you have itches and find the need to scratch.

    I just hope you do not become afflicted when kneeling in front of Liz receiving your knighthood.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esvX63lzHo0


    https://thelott.com/instant-scratch-its/ticket-range

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratchcard

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry for being tardy! Life just happens I guess...
    Butttt!!! Thanks for the recipes...always yummy!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, Donna. I know what you mean by "life just happens"...it's been a bit that way here for me of late, too. I've a few blogs to catch up on...and hopefully, will get around to doing so today.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete