Wednesday, February 27, 2019

ONCE BITTEN - TWICE, THREE TIMES, A HUNDRED TIMES SHY!


Cape Richards,...the resort that is no longer...and Orchid Beach, Cape Richards
Goold Island

The report a few weeks ago about an eight year-old girl bitten on her foot by an angry goanna - it took two people to wrestle the monster off the child - and another, a couple of weeks later regarding a man who had a battle with a giant monitor reminded me of a few incidents when I was manager of the then resort at Cape Richards on Hinchinbrook Island. 

Monitor lizards, large, medium and small roam the island undisturbed, relishing the pristine habitat, as they should.  A large monitor lizard is not something one would enjoy being confronted by, particularly a small child. The little girl would’ve been traumatised.  Her terrifying experience will linger long in her mind...if not forever.

Generally, the carnivores prefer to stay clear of humans.  Goannas have acute vision, but their ability to recognise – differentiate - objects by sight is limited. 

To a goanna a stationary human could be a tree.  The lizard can’t see the forest for that one, single tree. If startled, the monitor is capable of mistaking a human for a tree. 

Erroneously, a panicked goanna would scale the main trunk (human) in an effort to seek safety – not a pleasant experience for anyone - child or adult. They are not to be messed with; goannas are not soft, cuddly creatures.  

Early one morning while in my office at the resort I heard screaming issuing forth from the rear side of the main building that housed the restaurant, bar, kitchen, cold room, store room, small resort shop and the office. 

Dropping everything immediately, I raced outside in the direction of the shrieking. 

A staff member, loaded to the hilt with bed linen from guest cabins received the shock of her life as she entered the laundry.  Two goannas had been having a wrestling match high up in a tree near the laundry’s entrance. Losing their grip both landed on the poor lass.  She was lucky not to have suffered any injuries from their powerful, sharp claws and teeth.

Young parents, enjoying the ambience of Goold Island, across the way from Hinchinbrook, had their tranquillity shattered during their visit to the uninhabited isle.  Temporarily, they’d left their baby, on a rug, on the sand well above the watermark while they dipped their toes in the Coral Sea. 

Hearing their baby’s distressed cry they sped back to discover a goanna nibbling one of the bub’s fingers.  Luckily, no serious injuries were caused. 

I had serious heart to heart with a resort guest one evening when she arrived at the restaurant to dine. 

A doctor from South Africa, she was a woman in her early 40s, both old enough, and educated enough – one would think - to know better.

Guests had dobbed her in for her reckless behaviour towards a monster monitor during the day. 

I didn’t mince words when pointing out her aggravating the creature wasn’t a clever pastime. 

Commonsense is rare in some.

Displaying further ignorance, she asked if I’d have a staff member remove an innocent, harmless little gecko from her cabin!  

Request denied!  

Upon reflection, I should’ve replaced the gecko with a goanna.

My late brother, Graham (whose birthday it is/would have been today...28th February) and my chef David copped a tongue-lashing from me one day, too.  They stood there like two little schoolboys being reprimanded by a very angry headmistress...both with lowered heads as I blasted them, telling them they were both old enough and ugly enough to know better!  

They'd not seen or heard me coming.  I'd caught Graham and David feeding eggs to a massive goanna on the deck out from the cold room, to see how many it would swallow in one sitting.  A goanna will just go on forever...a bit like the theme song from “Titanic”!  

Goannas don’t know when to stop – feed them...and they will just go on and on until they’re about to explode.  This big fellow’s belly was already bulging when I arrived, unannounced on the scene.  

Not only was it the most senseless game being played out by the fellows, but it was a waste of eggs, too.  We were on an island, after all...and couldn’t “just pop down to the store” when we ran out of supplies!

Wound up and angry, in no uncertain terms, I also pointed out to the likely lads the foolishness of their bit of fun...encouraging a goanna...who would probably go and tell the rest of its mob that free food was on offer at the restaurant...wasn’t in anyone’s best interest.  The resort would have had permanent guests – bookings not required!

I now smile to myself every time I think of that morning. The guilty looks when they got unexpectedly nabbed...caught in the act!  I wish I had a photo of their faces while they were being duly and descriptively reprimanded.  They skulked back to work, heads lowered in shame and remorse.

A number of times I've prepared (when I was cooking in restaurants)...and tasted for the sake of tasting...a variety of out-of-the- norm “foods” e.g. crocodile, emu, frogs’ legs, escargot aka snails, eel, etc. However, I drew the line at goanna, gecko, and snake. 

Once, I did, as a joke, put Witchetty Grub Soup on the menu at a venue in which I was cooking. 

My behaviour needs monitoring, I guess.

Protein is good for us, but, personally, I prefer my protein from different sources than those above!

 

Orange Chicken Balls: Combine 1/4c milk and 1/4c Panko breadcrumbs; let sit 5min. Combine 800g minced chicken, 2 minced garlic cloves, 2tsp minced fresh ginger, 2tsp minced onion, 2tbs soy sauce, salt, pepper and soaked breadcrumbs. Mix with your hands; shape into balls, 2-3tbs per ball. Place in greased mini-muffin pan/or baking dish; bake in 230C oven, 15-20mins, until cooked.  Sauce: Add 1-1/2tsp each olive oil and sesame oil in pot over med-low heat; add 2 minced garlic cloves and 1tsp minced fresh ginger; cook, stirring, about 2mins until golden; add 1-1/2tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste, 3/4c orange marmalade and 1/4c hoisin sauce; cook until thickened slightly. Transfer balls to bowl; pour over sauce; toss to coat. 
 
Salmon & Puy Lentils: Put 200g Puy lentils in saucepan with 1 bay leaf and enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer; cook 30 mins/until tender. Season; add 200g fresh, chopped green beans; simmer 1min.  Drain; discard bay leaf. Stir in 25g chopped Italian parsley, 2tbs Dijon, 2tbs chopped capers and 2tbs olive oil.  Preheat grill to hot.  Slice thinly 2 lemons; arrange slices on foil-lined grill pan; place 500g salmon fillets and 1 finely-sliced fennel bulb on top; season. Cook under grill 10 mins, or until salmon is cooked. Place salmon on top of lentils and fennel slices, garnish with dill sprigs.
 
Protein Bars: Line a 9-by-13-inch glass pan with paper, letting it hang over the sides. Set aside. Combine 2c crunchy peanut paste, 1/3c honey and 1/3c chocolate milk in a medium heatproof glass bowl; place over a pot of simmering water. Allow mixture to become warm and smooth, stirring to completely incorporate. Remove from heat; set aside. Mix 2-1/2c rolled oats, 1/2c flax seeds, 2tbs chocolate protein powder, 1/3c dried cherries or cranberries and 1/4c mini-chocolate chips in a bowl.  Pour peanut butter mixture into coat mixture; stir until well combined. Transfer to prepared pan; press into an even layer. Sprinkle over more mini-choc chips, lightly pressing into base; freeze for 15mnis to allow mixture to set.  Remove from pan; cut into 24 bars; transfer to airtight container; freeze

22 comments:

  1. Scary stuff. Nothing that dangerous here unless you accidentally step in that rare copperhead snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tabor....Humans are the most dangerous of all, I think! :)

      Snakes aren't my favourite creatures...I'm not at all fond of snakes...or any description!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Reptiles are to be respected, and i can imagine the scene, and the looks on their faces.

    Since you say there is no resort there any more, i am guessing the place has been left to the wildlife?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, messymimi....long and involved story re the resort, From mismanagement of the those who took over ownership etc., in the late 90s...vandalism (something I will never, ever understand...that mental mindset is beyond my comprehension), Cyclone Yasi destruction...and then, a couple of years later...arson.

      An interesting point...other than Cyclone Yasi...all damage and harm was caused by humans...not reptiles or animals.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I'd be drawing the line at geckos too, those cute little lizards are so tiny, by the time you'd prepared on, there wouldn't be anything left of it for cooking or tasting. I have geckos here where I live, there are plenty of them around here.
    I have a healthy fear/appreciation of goannas, having seen many of them as we travelled the back roads between major cities back in the husband's army days. They can get really large, I remember seeing a six-footer slowly making his way across the road one time. He stopped in the middle and watched us watching him.
    I like your resort stories. Shame about all those wasted eggs though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...Geckos are lovely little fellows. I've not seen any here in this humble abode since I've been living in it. As Andrew says below...I, too, loved hearing their clicking sounds. They are little cuties.

      Like you, I, too, have a healthy respect for goannas...I give them a wide berth...not that I've seen any of them since being here, either.

      I agree about the egg wasting...the fellows received a rude awakening, too! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:17 PM

    I love the clicking sounds made by geckos but I can't remember seeing them in Australia. That could be my defective memory. I was about 16 and driving a tractor for recreational reasons in the bush with our dog. We came across a large goanna and the dog jumped off the back of the tractor to bark at the goanna. This made the goanna rather cross and suddenly the dog was running helter skelter with the goanna after her. It was a short pursuit, but I was shaking as was the dog. I'll tell you about my encounter with a hoop snake one day. There was a song years ago that made a pun of Go Anna. Like River, I enjoy your island tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Andrew....I love the clicking sounds of the dear little geckos, too. I've not seen any here where I live...which means I've not seen or heard any for for the past 17 years. I did have a couple of little fellows that lived behind a painting hanging on one of my walls in the house I was renting in Gympie before moving here to the mountain. I wish he'd hitched a ride with the removalists! :)

      I hate snakes, though...they are not my favourite creatures...and they did their kind no favours when one killed a much loved cat of mine...my beloved Ruska.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Some folks have book knowledge but no common sense, adults that is. Children get to learn as they go and it should be expected they'll make mistakes. I just read the other day that on a golf course somewhere further south an alligator jumped up and caught a golf ball. Animals seem to be able to adapt to their surroundings quite nicely. now I must go look up what puy lentils are, curiously yesterday I made red lentil chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Linda....Yes...I agree with your sentiments re commonsense. It's becoming a rare commodity these days, unfortunately...and, as you say, it seems those who have degrees of various degrees are the ones most lacking in common sense.

      Your red lentil chips sound interesting and delicious.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Orange chicken balls? That poor chicken! No more crowing for him.

    I can imagine you as headmistress of The Tamborine Mountain Finishing School for young gentlemen and ladies. Your pupils would whisper conspiratorially, "Watch out! Miss George is coming!" They might also give you a nickname but I am not about to give suggestions in case you whack me with your riding crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never knew chickens had orange balls, did you, Yorkie...it is only the rooster, of course.

      To the naughty corner with you, me lad!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I don't believe I've ever heard of goannas. I've heard of monitor lizards and the komodo dragon. Gee, with the crocodiles and all the poisonous snakes you have there, I'd certainly be wary of where I walk. And if my wife ever discovered a gecko in her room, she'd find other sleeping quarters. That's along the line of finding a mouse in the house.

    Just curious, do these lizards and snakes hibernate during the year. That might be the best time to go to Australia, I'm thinking (if I'm ever inclined to go).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dave...For your info - if you've heard of monitor lizards...you have heard of goannas.....

      "A goanna is any of several Australian monitor lizards of the genus Varanus, as well as certain species from Southeast Asia.

      Around 30 species of goanna are known, 25 of which are found in Australia. This varied group of carnivorous reptiles ranges greatly in size and fills several ecological niches."

      Dave...you have alligators and venomous snakes, aggressive, dangerous bears, cougars/pumas, snakes etc., in the States - probably as many dangerous critters, if not more...as we have in this country.

      Geckos are tiny, pink, harmless little creatures that help keep insects at bay. They don't hurt anyone.

      Goannas, like snakes, hibernate during the winter months.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Thankfully we have no such reptiles in this part of the world....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Delores...but you do have....

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles_of_North_America

      Monitor lizard. The monitor lizards are large lizards in the genus Varanus. They are native to Africa, Asia and Oceania, but are now found also in the Americas as an invasive species. ... Most monitor species are terrestrial, but arboreal and semiaquatic monitors are also known.

      The world is full of dangerous critters...and the greater number of dangerous critters roaming every part of the earth are...humans.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. My immediate thought was to be thankful that we don't have many dangerous creatures in Britain (homo sapiens apart) and then I though of the dog that some of the dogs that people keep and which have done considerable hurt to other dogs and also to humans. I met one such hound this morning on my walk very much in the controll of his owner at that moment but capable of devastating damage at any time if he felt like it.

      Delete
    3. G'day, Graham...there is a song, you no doubt know...by Wet, Wet Wet...called - "Love Is All Around"...if only more humans heeded the message. Perhaps if they stopped aggravating each other and creatures of the animal kind...a better world it would be we live in! :)

      Kudos to that dog owner if he is the master of his beast and keeps it under control.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Omg!! The poor staff worker and the baby!! I would have screamed my head off!!!😂
    Hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna...Yep! Poor Bronnie, my staff member got a hell of a fright...and one can't blame her. I sure wouldn't have enjoyed having two large goannas fall on top of me!

      Fortunately, the baby suffered no injuries...it very well could have, though.

      There are certain creatures in this world we shouldn't mess with...and many humans are included in that!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, Riot Kitty!!!! I think of you often....how wonderful to "see" you...to hear from you, my dear! :)

    Thanks so much for popping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankfully I only see reptiles in a zoo!
    Love the look of the salmon dish.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete