Saturday, March 09, 2019

BULLY FOR YOU, BUT NO BULLY BEEF FOR ME!


A View of Slade Point


Often I think I must have lived on a different planet to many others. Truth be told - maybe I still do.

Finally, the truth is  revealed! I am Robinson Crusoe reincarnated, after all....the female version, of course. 

During my traversing of Life’s long and winding road, a female I’ve always been; a female I’ll always be.

One moment I was a little girl with long plaits; then, in a flash, I was a 16 year old teenager riding Noosa’s surf, hoping the surging waves wouldn’t rip off my bikini.  My older brother, who, by the way was of the male species – a boy who became a man - was a Noosa Heads Surf Lifesaver in the early to mid-Sixties. 

The years flew by, as is their wont, having not a clue how to put on the brakes.
I matured into a woman.  Some may question the “mature” bit, but that’s okay with me.  Frequently, I question that very fact, too.

With me, nothing has altered in the gender department, but the boobs have sagged; wrinkles and grey hair have showed up; and I’ve misplaced a few teeth. 
It‘s not a moot point – I am a member of the feminine gender.

Sadly, we’re living in a time when truth doesn’t seem to matter; in a time when bullying is rife. Bullying is a popular sport with some. Surely there are more enjoyable pastimes.  How anyone gains pleasure from being a bully beats me.  Obviously, there’s something missing in their make-up (I’m not referring to Maybelline, L’Oreal, Revlon, etc.).  Lack of self-confidence and self-esteem come to mind - replaced by arrogance and cruel intentions.

I believe I have a very good memory; a memory which stretches back to when I was a wee little girl – to when I was a toddler, and before, even.   

To be perfectly honest – cross my heart and all the rest - my earliest memory is from when I was a baby laying in my cot which was set up in the enclosed front verandah of the house I shared with my Nana, mother and older brother, Graham, in Elphinstone Street, North Rockhampton.  My fleeting memory of that day so long ago – of just that one moment – that one day....is my being enthralled by the dappled, coloured, stained glass windows that enclosed the verandah. I'm sure I had not yet hit the one year-old mark at that stage.   

A little while later, we left Rockhampton, and the coloured windows, to take up residence in Slade Point, a beach-side suburb of Mackay. There we remained for a couple of years before we relocated to the town of our grandmother's birth and years of her youth, and the town in which our mother had been born....Gympie.   

The year was 1948...and I was three and a half years old. 

Clearly I recall the night at the Mackay railway station – standing on the station platform around 10.30 pm as we waited for the train that was to transport us south to Gympie.

However, among the many, varied memories I have, I do not recall any bullies when I was a child - or a teenager - growing up in Gympie.   

Those were the days, my friends - simple, uncomplicated, carefree.

Our childhood days were spent in the outdoors playing cowgirls and Indians, ballerinas, trapeze artists, Cat Woman and other imaginary heroines, collecting and swapping comics; exploring; learning; being intrigued by the four stages of life of butterflies before we set the beauties free.  Industrious little silkworms fattening themselves on mulberry leaves as they busily spun their lengthy lustrous silk were popular. They were handy trading commodities.  No shoe box went to waste when silkworms were in favour.

Naturally, boys being boys, teased the girls.  When not teasing us girls, the boys played together. Ignoring their juvenile behaviour, we girls preferred our more fun-filled, imaginative activities. We left the boys to their silly games.

From my childhood I remember only one bully...his name was “Albert Bully”.  Albert and I were of similar age.  Throughout primary school we were in the same classes.  Albert lived around the corner, not far from where I hung out with my mother, grandmother, brother and our variety of pets.  Albert walked past our place going to and from school. 

I referred to his parents as – “Mr. And Mrs. Bully”.  Albert was a “Bully”, but he wasn’t a bully; neither were the other kids on the block, new, near, or far. 

In those days of yore, we respected our elders. We called adults “Mr”, “Mrs” or “Miss”. Strange as it may seem to some members of present generations we respected each other, too.  I’ve no memory of bullying playing a role. 

Why is bullying so prevalent - such a popular pursuit nowadays?  It’s something we can do without. I, for one, can. 

Wow!  Many years have passed since I’ve eaten bully beef aka canned corned beef, or Camp Pie.

Unlike bullying, Camp Pie was popular when I was a little girl.

DIY Corned Beef:  Add 3-1/2lt water, 2c salt, 5tsp pink curing salt (not Pink Himalayan salt), 1/2c brown sugar, and 3 smashed garlic cloves to pot. Boil to dissolve; turn off heat; stir in 1tbs allspice berries, 1tbs whole mustard seeds, 8 whole cloves, 1tbs black peppercorns, 2 crumbled bay leaves, 1/2tsp ground ginger, 1stick cinnamon, broken into a few pieces and 2tsp red pepper flakes; chill. Place 2-1/2kg piece of brisket in large container; add cooled brine; weigh meat down to keep it submerged. Seal; refrigerate 5-7 days, rotating once a day. Remove brisket from brine. Discard brine; rinse brisket under cold water. Put brisket in pot; cover with water. Add 1tsp allspice berries, 1tsp whole mustard seeds, 1tsp black peppercorns and 1 crumbled bay leaf. Add more garlic, an onion, carrot and celery, if you like, and a splash of vinegar; bring to boil; reduce heat to simmer; cook 2-1/2-3hrs. 

Corned Beef Hash: Cut 600g potatoes into chunks; boil for 15-20 mins, until tender. Simmer the 2 trimmed, sliced leeks in boiling water 10mins. 350-400g cooked corned beef chunks into bowl with 2tbs tomato puree and 2tsp Worcestershire sauce; stir gently. Mash potatoes with butter and milk; season; stir in drained leeks. Pour 400g baked beans into ovenproof dish; spread corned beef mixture over top. Spoon on mashed potatoes; spread evenly. Sprinkle grated cheddar over surface; bake in 180C oven 30mins.

Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich: Butter one side of each slice of rye. Place 2 slices of rye, butter side down in pan on med-heat. Place a slice of Gruyere on each half. Once rye turns golden and cheese starts to melt, carefully stack corned beef, caramelized onions and sauerkraut on one half; put other half atop; press gently to adhere; heat 1-2mins. Remove from pan; separate sandwich slices slightly and slather Thousand Island dressing in the middle. Press slices back together; cut sandwiches in half. 

18 comments:

  1. The bullying is born of anger or fear or both. People these days are afraid. The world is not as simple as it once was, there is too much crowding and poverty, futures are uncertain. Our "leaders" ha ha, don't seem to be able to help or even to lead, being far too busy with political infighting and worry about what other countries are up to and how do we measure up?
    I remember camp pie from childhood, it seemed nice enough back then, but I don't think I could swallow it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...bullies do have their problems...covering up their feelings of inferiority urges them on to torment and lord it over others. The only people they are really fooling are themselves. Unfortunately, others are hurt along the way.

      I'm with you...I reckon I couldn't bring myself to swallow Camp Pie these days, either....so no cans will be purchased by me!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I know what you're talking about as I'm about the same age. We live in bad times, and it's not going to get better. Frightening situation!
    You mention 'mulberry leaves' in your post. It reminds me that several years ago I took a mulberry supplement (don't remember the reason) and for two days I experienced decrease in hearing ability.I stopped taking it, and normal hearing returned to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...Humans never learn or even seem to want to learn from their past mistakes.

      I've only ever eaten the fresh mulberries...the fruit...never had to take the mulberry leaf supplement...I'd known nothing about it until you mentioned it...but I read some folk, like yourself, react to it.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I wore a green blazer: the green blazer of a local private prep school. That automatically made one a target for bullies from the local state school.

    As for memories (and I have an atrocious memory for most things) I can remember being inside my pram as a baby as everyone peered in. I can remember the hood being up and the protective flap on the pram cover being raised to keep the rain out.

    Corned beef hash to me is different in that the corned beef is shredded through the potato and mashed in. There are no lumps of corned beef. There was onion in it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham. There's no set rule in making corned beef hash...whatever takes one's fancy, I guess. It may not be fine dining, but it sure can be tasty! :)

      Our memory is a wonderful ability...a mystery.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Bullies are running scared inside, and won't admit it. They need a lot of help.

    The recipes sound like great comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are, messymimi. Most are far too arrogant to seek help...or even admit that they do need help.

      Comfort food is needed more often than we realise, I think.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. It's the Parenting!! OR, the lack thereof...spare the rod, spoil the child.
    My mom would have cuffed me good if I'd Ever bullied anyone!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna...I agree re the parenting. Too many parents these days expect others to do it for them. We learned, as children from a very early age to heed our parents...to be guided by their words.

      I don't remember ever being hit by my mother or grandmother. I remember their warnings...the threat of what was to come if we didn't behave...pull our socks up and pull our heads in!

      Their warnings and warning looks were enough for my brother and me. We toed the line swiftly when those warnings were given and shown! To do so was less hurtful! We knew when we'd pushed the limits! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Like you, I don't remember encountering bullying as a child but when I was eleven I received a scholarship to a posh secondary school in Hull. On the very first day, a boy started to mock my broad Yorkshire accent - making his chums laugh, so I just went up to him and punched him hard in his face. He never mocked me again and surprisingly we became good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Yorkie! That certainly sounds like it brought him back to reality - and he learned an important life's lesson!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I often wonder about bullies. Some kids do attract them, some don't but often I think it's a matter of individuals that you happen to run into when you are a kid. Same as in adult life. There are always people around who try to bully if they can, but luckily they're easier to avoid or deal with when we're grown up! I'm going to skip the corned beef recipes, usually I love your recipes as you know, but it is so long since I had corned beef and I can't for the life of me remember what it tastes like. I suspect, though that it must be somehow significant that I am not rushing to try it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jenny...unfortunately, bullying doesn't only apply to children. But it should most definitely be nipped in the bud when children are children.

      Actually, it's ages since I've had corned beef myself. I've not cooked it in a long time. Just can't seem to be bothered these days. Maybe during winter I might think about cooking some...just for something different..I used to enjoy a meal of home-cooked corned beef served with a cheese sauce and suitable vegetables.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. The world has changed since growing up as a carefree child, it wasn't perfect but I fear todays world is even less perfect!!!

    However, looking on the positive side :)
    Good recipes still remain available, and I can remember my dear Mum making a wonderful corned beef hash.

    As always - thanks for sharing your stories, your thoughts and your recipes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan...corned beef fritters were great, too. I'm talking myself into cooking some, I think. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. I believe you're right about bullying, put others down to build your self-esteem. And it's even worse when people in the public eye, that are supposed to be setting examples for others, do the bullying. It's like a stamp of approval for unacceptable behavior.
    I love your enthusiasm for life:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandra...yes...bullies certainly are lacking in self-esteem. How much they would learn about life...the amount of enjoyment and fulfillment to be gained if they took a good look at themselves in the mirror.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete